Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Bought this blind based on the many good reviews and i am not at all disappointed. Knew this was a Fall fragrance that is spicy and rich. I had imagined it would smell a bit like burning leaves or Halloween, however it turns out to be more of a Christmas smell. Imagine a pine tree with some nice spices like nutmeg and cinnamon. Very deep and soothing scent. Definitely try this one out. I would think people would either love it or hate it. I personally love it. Enjoy :)

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Wow I am surprised anyone could not like this one. As many reviewers have said, a perfect going out/clubbing scent. Wouldn't say you feel like a million bucks wearing it, but at least a few thousand. Overall a very enjoyable smell that would cut through the rest and get you noticed. Not to mention its nice to your own nose, which is very important too. Highly recommend this one, it is very exciting and a must have.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I was skeptical at first from all the hype this one has gotten. Picked up a bottle on Ebay since it is out of production right now, and I must say I am thoroughly impressed. This is actually my first Thierry Mugler, but will not be my last. I recommend anyone on the fence about this one to buy a bottle immediately. There are rumors it is being brought back, but since that may not be true, grab one quick. It smells amazing. Highly recommended :)

fastidiousnose's avatar
    fastidiousnose
    Sweden Sweden

La Haie Fleurie du Hameau by L'Artisan Parfumeur

When I read other reviews of this scent on this page people say there is jasmine in it. I bought a sample of this fragrance because I love jasmine but when I tried it I was very disappointed. I couldn't smell any jasmine at all. The only note I could smell was honeysuckle and it was far to sweet and cloying. This scent gave me a headache and I'll definitely not wear it again.

29 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2010)

MCTAKE5's avatar
    MCTAKE5

Allure Homme by Chanel

Allure Homme is simply outstanding. The initial refined citrus burst, mellows down to a creamy soft scent which drive women nuts! Can be used every day, night on the town, or romantic evenings. Dry down is seamless, consistent, with excellent life. This is by no means a boring cologne, rather refined and sensuous. A must have.

29 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 June, 2012)

Galvatron77's avatar
    Galvatron77
    Brazil Brazil

Witness by Jacques Bogart

The opening reminds me Oscar De La Renta 'Pour Lui' but less agressive with the cinnamon in evidence , giving a more sophisticated touch to JB 'Witness'. The drydown is very intriguing , similar to Chanel 'Antaeus Pour Homme'.

But for some reason, after some time, I just put aside this scent, and really, I just don't find any kind of event to wear it... because it's too heavy and loud ... a bit vulgar

29 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2013)

CoL's avatar
    CoL

Catalyst by Halston

This is a beautiful scent, very grassy and slightly herbal. A beautful touch of sweetness too. Very unisex and doesn't smell dated at all. Love it! It can be had for less than £5 for a 100ml EDP at the moment, a steal!

Joshaugustt's avatar
    Joshaugustt

Chevignon Forever Mine for Men by Chevignon

Top notes: Kumquat, bergamot, cardamom and nutmeg.

Heart notes: Sea water, jasmine and woodsy notes.

Base notes: Cashmere wood, tonka bean and amber.

This is a really nice fragrance. It's very warm, fresh, long lasting and not at all over powering. I think it's the best fragrance from this House in a long time.

That said...it's not going to set any records for originality. But I find i really like it and enjoy it so for me it's a handy thumbs UP!

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Flower Power? Not really, but still a very attractive fragrance from the hand of Oliver Polge, the genius behind the brilliant Dior Homme. At times, Power feels like a lighter version of Dior Homme. A memorable opening of bright bergamot and lime spring forth. This lasts only a few minutes before the spice accord sets in to give a change of pace. The florals (iris?) arrive after a good hour, but they do not dominate like the name on the bottle suggests. They are faint and in the background. I wish Polge would've amped up the Iris like he did in Dior Homme but alas, he kept them at bay. The tolu balsam and cedar start making their presence known shortly thereafter. The tolu blends well with the spice and florals to create a creamy, white-smelling accord sometimes found in hand-lotions and puddings. Not really compelling, but it wears well in hot weather and keeps your interest longer than 15 minutes.

maccus's avatar
    maccus

273 Indigo by Fred Hayman

Try to ignore the overly sweet lemon pudding beginning if you can - it tends to linger as the gentle musk rises in counterpoint to it and then becomes the dominant note as a white pepper presents itself. There is the hint of aquatic notes but these serve to bolster the pepper until one realises that it was a journey perhaps ill advised unless one wishes to smell like one's nana's kitchen, with its lemon curd, flowers ready to be trimmed and placed in a vase and nana herself somewhere in the background laced with talc.

maccus's avatar
    maccus

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain

Oh-my-mint, fresh-mint, dirty-mint, cloying-mint... it's a mint-fest all round, all over and for all too long. The growing mint aversion inspires a sponge bath or a moist toilette and the application of something oriental or something else - anything without mint - until, suddenly, one becomes aware of a rising jasmine and just the whisper of rose. Perhaps there is some cedar in the background holding these notes together and not allowing them to create a sweet and sour-mint melange with green tea vase water that is still fresh but will become awful tomorrow. There is much sophistication in this composition. It is measured and perhaps as good as mint can be. I prefer mint crushed under foot with its aromas rising fresh and pure. I consider this an experiment or a perfumery assignment. This is probably as good as mint can be but one cannot escape the thought that one might eat mint sweets and achieve a more pleasant minty waft.

's avatar

Acqua Colonia Melissa & Verbena by 4711

A lovely, fresh Cologne - uplifting and not as conventional as many other takes on this subject, since the dominant Melissa note is very well orchestrated and lingers on for several hours. It is neither complicated nor sophisticated - and one should not expect too much from a timid Kölnisch Wasser, which - after all - is not meant to revolutionize the entire genre. I personally enjoy spraying this on in hot climate - the cool Melissa notes give me a break from all things flowery, opulent and complicated.

luckylouie's avatar
    luckylouie

Jovan Black Musk for Women by Jovan

This is horrible, heavy rotting fruit and not much else. Just as well it's not heavy on the musk or it would be unbearable. I'm no good at describing individual notes, so I would best describe it as being one of the new breed of fruit based perfumes that smell like harsh chemical toilet cleaners mixed with melted lollies. You know, the cheap stuff marketed at young girls who then come at you in packs all wearing the same suffocating fragrance. Run a mile from this, and SHAME SHAME SHAME Jovan at ever having made it.

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Vent Vert (new) by Pierre Balmain

I'm with the naysayers on what I believe is a current EDT rendition (small plain bottle). I want to love it. I need a crisp grass emerald green. This however, is a cynical stab at it...soapy and shrill. It smells like a lily/neroli shampoo. Disappointing.

Merbert's avatar
    Merbert

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

On the Love/Hate Seesaw, I am definitely on the love side. As a fragrance gardener, I am drawn first to to the deceptively uninvolved jasmine and rose teaser, a bit like flowers at the garden gate, beckoning me to enter. Once inside, the reality of the garden presents itself full-force; and that includes the sweet/acrid foetid smell of rotting plants that have lived out their lives and are now re-entering the earth. An exquisite powdery mimosa acts in consort rather than sharp contrast to the foetid qualities of the cassie, completing the life cycle with its innocent sweetness. Like a good garden with foundation trees, a slightly aging sandalwood provides permanence and stability.

This one's definitely on my "to buy" list.

macgr3g's avatar
    macgr3g

He Wood by Dsquared2

Ayala's “wet but not aquatic”, also clean air without being ozonic, and as Leifer puts it woody but with the lumberjack in a tux. Perfect for a pensive “would rather be spending the day beside a snowmelt stream under the fir's, but somehow have ended up in the office...” spring day

perfaddict's avatar
    perfaddict
    Nigeria Nigeria

Preferred Stock by Coty

If all scents to be reviewed had to be collected at some central point, in unlabelled vials and reviewers zapped with a temporary-memory-loss taser, i wonder how the review statistics of Preferred Stock will be affected. But what do i know?

PS is, IMO, which opens with a sweaty lavender intro is a fougere-like scent rich in patchouli and some tonka bean and amber in the base. I want to believe there is something representing labdanum in the mix as well. This note is probably what gives it the sweaty/BO/whatever smell alluded to in several reviews below. This animalic tinge is actually what makes PS quite attractive to my nose.

Preferred Stock is a delightful, cheap and cheerful scent. It smells quite substantial without being overpowering. Yes, with most cheapies one cannot totally escape certain olfactory realities. PS has a synthetic/perfumey phase a la Sung Homme (rogue links or territorial skirmishes within the synthetic aromachemical chain structures?) but this is just for a very short while before the accords make peace and recalibrate with eachother.

I enjoy wearing Preferred Stock, and have even worn it to a black-tie dinner. It held its own among the identified Creeds and Guerlains. Then again, maybe it was just the wearer.

SlamMan's avatar
    SlamMan

Black Fleece for Men by Brooks Brothers

This has become my absolute favorite scent. I'm sure there are others that could better describe this scent but for me it seems like an old-school, classy scent. Definitely worth a try. My only complaint is it seems like I have to use 3-4 sprays versus the typical 2-3

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Boucheron EDT used to be one of my favorite fragrances. It was the perfect citrus and rose chypre, and I adored it. I used up my bottle years ago and never replenished it, not because I didn't like it anymore but more because there were so many other fragrances I wanted to try.

This review, however, is on the eau de parfum, which I sampled for the first time yesterday. I'm a diehard fan of Boucheron's Jaipur Homme EDP, and also being a big fan of Boucheron PH's eau de toilette, I was very excited to sample the eau de parfum. I went to my local department store to try it out. I picked the tester up from the fragrance counter, eagerly pressed the button on the atomizer and sprayed a teeny spritz onto my unscented skin. What came out of that bottle and sullied my skin, however, was one of the most obnoxious scents ever bottled.

Trust me, the EDT version was one of the most powerful, concentrated fragrances I have ever owned, so just a spritz or two on my chest would last a whole day. There was no need to make this scent more concentrated. This EDP not only magnifies times ten an already incredibly strong scent, but it creates a crass, impenetrable wall of stink that WILL NOT go away. Wearing this heady, obnoxious juice is like being a walking nuclear meltdown.

Stick with the EDT. The EDP is just loud, nauseating and pointless.

MY RATING: 3/10

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Quartz pour Homme by Molyneux

I don't know if it's my sense of smell or a lack of ability to discern fragrance notes, but I don't smell the same notes everyone else is smelling. I don't smell any pepper, earthiness, woody notes or cardamom at all. I don't smell any stones or rocks either, though that would have been interesting.

What I do smell is a very classy, elegant fragrance that exudes quiet self-confidence. To describe Quartz Pour Homme in a nutshell, I say it smells like green apples blended with lavender, a touch of leather and sharp oakmoss. I don't even know how to classify this. A fruity fougere?

I find Quartz to be a sweet fragrance, but not heavy or syrupy; it is a fruity sweet scent. It is light and very transparent, and it projects softly and gently - A*Men type sillage would be completely inappropriate and undignified for a fragrance like Quartz. It is long lasting but discreet, giving off little hints that it's there. I love how low-key this scent is.

Although it sells for dirt cheap prices, it has all the beauty and natural elegance of a high-end Guerlain or Chanel. Quartz Pour Homme is a class act all the way.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

onceling's avatar
    onceling

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

A fresh, clean smelling scent with some fruits and green notes through top and mid. Nothing particularly exciting here, and I think there's both fruitier and fresher elsewhere. I would say this is summer wear, with ok longevity considering its type. It's not sensual or intimate, just breezy. The floral notes are quite clean and green, not overly powdery, very youthful.

Still this has some redeeming qualities, is quite inoffensive and wearable, the sillage (minor but present) is quite pleasant and smells nicer than sniffing your own skin. It's accessible for those that might otherwise avoid florals, because of the fresh/clean presentation.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Agua de Loewe by Loewe

Invigoratingly fresh though not quite in the 'aquatic' sense. To my nose AGUA DE LOEWE is a lightly spiced floral musk composition with a sweet resinuous drydown to die for. Longevity may be average but when it smells this good, you won't find me complaining.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Solo Loewe by Loewe

Definitely one of the better additions to the horde of mass-marketed fresh masculine fragrances, SOLO LOEWE eschews the house's Spanish heritage and tones down its Mediterranean style to offer a more cosmopolitan blend of light spices and citrus. Unfortunately it loses a certain distinctiveness in the process and comes across somewhat anorexic, struggling to even hit the 4 hour mark on the skin test. What a pity.

jayjupes's avatar
    jayjupes

Obsession Night by Calvin Klein

first perfume i've ever bought a second bottle of
    before finishing the first
    the only way it can be mistaken for a
    *lesser*
    fragrance
    is by someone who
    doesn't like to
    smell

heheheh

no, tastes differ

til the "they" run out

kpointer101's avatar
    kpointer101

Erolfa by Creed

I love this scent. I have no issues with longevity, and I have recieved many compliments from this frag.

kpointer101's avatar
    kpointer101

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Very refreshing, light and warm. Sillage is nonexistent, however. Longevity is not as it should be for a fragrance this expensive. Extremely unique, and it garners many compliments.

BradW's avatar
    BradW

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

I got a sample from a friend, and am wearing this fragrance as I write this. I haven't tried Paco Rabanne, but I have a bottle of Patrick from Fragrances of Ireland. This one is a bit brighter than Patrick, but I can't really justify the price with this one. I actually get a Pledge-like furniture polish vibe when I wear this. Kinda kills the fun for me.

Seanvik's avatar
    Seanvik
    Tibet Tibet

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

As other's have commented, Eau de Grey Flannel should not be confused with the original Grey Flannel. There is no oakmoss, there is no soapy drydown.
    Instead, EDG is a fresh aquatic spray. Picture an Axe body spray, but more developed, more depth. Its pretty standard, but not offensive.
    Its not necessarily my cup of tea, but its dirt cheap.

Seanvik's avatar
    Seanvik
    Tibet Tibet

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Unique. A beautiful alternative to fresh, citrus summer fragrances. It is crisp enough to cut through humidity.
    The bergemont is light.
    I have never had the opportunity to smell Roiboos tea. I assumed it was similar to Egyptian karkadeh tea. Karkadeh is sweet but still a bit tart. The tea flavor in ATR is tart but not sweet. This was a pleasant surprise as I am not always in the mood for sweet smells.
    Enjoy!

fleure blanc's avatar
    fleure blanc

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Have you ever smelled a daisy? They stink. The perfume does not smell like the flower, but if a rose by any other name... then a Daisy by any other name...