Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

cockyroach's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

If you are a kid you will love this. If you are living in Europe and want to smell just like every other guy, then you should buy this. If you do not enjoy smelling like food then stay away. Spray at least an hour before you go anywhere near another human being and only one spray.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This fragrance is ok, reminds me of Irish Spring Soap. I'll pass on GIT. But it smells fine. Would i buy it? No and not at that price.

I'll stick to Millesime Imperial.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

So after purchasing Millesime Imperial at Nordstrom, i give it 4 out of 5 stars. I completely love this fragrance from beginning to end. Its light, fresh, with a hint of melon. Only reason why i don't give it 5 stars is it doesn't last. At best 3 hrs on my skin, seems to last a bit, just a bit longer if sprayed on clothing/shirt. The scent stays close to skin. Overall, i will purchase again, wonderful fragrance by Creed.

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I love this fragrance, spring, summer, fall and winter, its an any time kind of scent. Fresh, green, just a pleasant scent overall. YES, it'll remind you of GIT at first, but the noticeable difference comes in at the dry down, and YES, its a noticeable difference. I seriously think Chez Bond might have been inspired by GIT but with an updated modern take. I enjoy both Chez Bond and GIT but if i had to choose only one, Chez Bond it is.

30th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2010)

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

One of my favorites! I get a lot of complements on this one. The projection and longevity is great. Smells like freshly ground coffee with hints of vanilla and patchouli. The mix of those top notes really smooth out the fragrance, without it, it would be overpowering.
    This fragrance would be best suited for fall/winter season, during those cool and cold days and nights.

knightmare1922's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is the first sent I have chosen to start my wardrobe with, and let me tell you, I picked a winner! The first time I wore this out, the girls were sniffing me down from 20 to 30 feet away! Once they found it was me, their eyes were rolling into the backs of their head in exctasy! I'm far from the best looking guy and this stuff really got alot of attention! I live in a tropical climate and it DOES work well here. It might be overused in England, but not at all in the U.S. Clean, unique, long lasting, and amazing. Two huge thumbs up!!!

cucumberman's avatar

Alyssa Ashley Musk by Alyssa Ashley

i used this fragrance at 1995 it was very unique scent and relaxing. but now definetely NOT, this is not same scent, very very very bad scent and very very very different. not same very shame. good bye original musk :(

Behzad's avatar

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

It is one of my top five EDTs. It is just incredible, masculine, strong, impressive, charismatic. All women around me said they LOVED it!

Ivy Mansion's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Bought this as a present for my dad, its not too expensive and smells good. Its a great clubbing scent which will last for the whole night. I wore it last night and it still smells on my skin after a shower. I had to scrub it off so i could apply a different scent. Smells hell sexy, i can understand why girls like it.

Ivy Mansion's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

I prefer this to london, it smells so pleasant, great winter scent. I also use it for clubbing cause its sweet yet dark. Not too common where im from so its even more fun to wear. I could see this being a everyday scent to work. However, I would stay away from it during the hotter months, it will be too overpowering.

I would definitely buy this again.

yotsuba's avatar

Pure DKNY by Donna Karan

its smell is really nice i love it but i can only smell it for an hour after i wear it :(

keenan13's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Heard lots of great things about this fragrance so decided to pick one up. I am extremely happy with it. Many reviewers were dead on with the smell. I get strong watermelon and sea salt which turns out to be very nice. It is unisex, however when on a man it is very smooth. Does project an image of money and the finer things. Very enjoyable and should garner many compliments. Enjoy :)

keenan13's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I may be a bit bias on this one, because I happen to love the smell of coconut. So of course, straight out of the gate, I enjoy the smell. I also enjoy vacation and tropical locations, as well as drinks like Margaritas and Pina Coladas. What comes out the most in the top notes is the lime. The dry down of the sugar and rum is very enjoyable though. This one is good for memories of nice vacations and suntan lotion at parties. Overall a quality scent and one that most would enjoy I believe.

fastidiousnose's avatar

Sweden Sweden

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

When I tried this I first felt the tuberose which was very strong. However, that quite quickly faded away and I started to smell lime blossom and some orange blossom as well. the scent transformed into a very light floral thing. To me it became too light, too pretty, too innocent. I think this would be nice on a ten-year-old girl but it's nothing for a woman in her late thirties like me.

Grierson's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I like this fragrance. But it is a bad case of being marketed to death and hence has become the smell of chav (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav). In every dodgy bar or nightclub I've ever been in, this has been among the most common odours. Despite my appreciation of it, now it just brings back memories of all those dodgy occasions and people I've encountered who've worn it, most of whom I'd rather forget!

Infini by Caron

Hyacinth. Smoke. Oakmoss. I am sampling an uncertain vintage, but likely fairly current. I find it contradictory. It smells "young" (white flowers), yet has a classique/ perfumey structure. It is beautiful (complex smokey), yet somewhat cold. Will try in colder weather. ( I upgraded my evaluation from a neutral to a positive. Its holds together beautifully in Winter.)

30th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 January, 2011)

MCTAKE5's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Excellent scent, the citrus opening is rich. Dry down is so inviting and sensual. I use this nearly every day and the complements keep coming. Longevity is outstanding as I get 10 hours. One of the finest colognes ever.

30th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st May, 2011)

Pretexte by Lanvin

My vintage sample smells nothing like the wonderful description below...sadly I guess it has turned. It is a very floral powder. It may start with some leather, but it muddies quickly to sweet, very dated powder. Negative review based on this, not what it was in its day.

30th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 February, 2012)

MeryMer's avatar

Mackie (new) by Bob Mackie

A floral scent with a distinct patchouli and creamy vanilla undertone. As is the norm with most department store quality perfumes, I turn it into a powdery, dank, nauseating smell. What is this ingredient that my skin hates so? The synthetic musk, vanilla, one of the fixatives used in American fragrances???? I don't know, but it makes makes me sick to my stomach. One thing I will say for it, it has staying power, because I can't wash it off!

Even before the scent started stinking, it was uninspiring (at best) on me.

30th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2012)

odysseusm's avatar

Lemon Eau de Toilette by Art of Shaving

This is a very pleasant scent. It has creamy lemon notes with a mossy/light musk dry-down. I find the duration to be pretty good, and the lemon is quite natural smelling. It seems to me to be very similar to Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, without the pine-rosemary zing. The drydown is almost identical to my nose.

Zadig by Emilio Pucci

At first I thought simple/basic/uneventful. On second try, I'm warming up to it. It's a dark jasmine that projects softly. I get nothing sweet. However, its character is sweet. But still a bit slinky. A cat-eyed jasmine.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

A creamy lemon on a synthetic sandalwood base. Very Chanel Allure Homme-series. Smells like a mid-level manager in a multinational.

Désir by Ajne

What's an Ajne girl gonna do but move to Carmel ??? This is a truly rich and lovely all natural perfume . Rounded ,well blended.
    Notes of moroccan jasmine, australian sandalwood, rich african cacao and ancient oudh. Oudh ! Who would have thought I would love this with Oudh in it !
    The only note that I can detect clearly is the jasmine. Everything else blended together into an intoxicating aroma.

Psyche by Ajne

Notes of ancient, precious woods, heirloom roses, sultry Indian champaca and fresh Italian bergamot.
    My skin turns this woody, roses and champaca concoction into nothing but thin spicey soap .

deLavande by Ajne

Notes of lavender from Provence, Bulgaria and Ajne's organic farm in Carmel, spice and vanilla-almond wood.
    A pleasing ,soothing simple soliflore of lavender. rounded off my woody vanilla. Nothing exotic but sheer quality .

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Aromadisiac for Him by Avon

Defined as a leather fragrance, I cannot smell any sort of note related to it. It is rather a spicy scent in its top notes, sweet but not overpowering, rather restrained, with some fruit-like note playing around in a extremely subdued "smells--like-paper" context.

To me, complexity, sillage and longevity are very limited, so I wonder this one deserves heavy application if you want to get wiffs of it for an extended period of time. This could be a reason for a hands down, but I like it. I guess it might be a good choice for situations demanding a very conservative approach to wearing scents.

nonnative's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

If Chanel n. 5 is an elegant upper-class lady, Coco Mademoiselle is an elegant upper-class girl. The first could be the mother, the second could be the daughter! Not one of my favourite but for sure a beautiful frag. Too light and bright but still a nice perfume for spring windy days.

Green Water by Jacques Fath

Green Water doesn't smell green to me in the leafy green or grassy sense. This is green in the lime and mint sense. I don't find this to be anywhere near as complex as some other reviewers describe it. Vinegar? Lemon Pledge? And toothpaste?! I wish my toothpaste smelled this good.

Green Water is simply a fresh, crisp, uplifting pick-me-up fragrance that seems to want to do nothing more than make you feel good. It's really just a minty take on the classic eau de cologne, but it is done very well. Unfortunately I do not detect any coniferous wood notes or any drydown at all, for that matter. Green Water is so light and fleeting, there isn't enough time to detect any notes other than lime, basil and mint. Although my bottle (I have the current formulation) says it's an eau de toilette, it's obviously only eau de cologne in strength. If you want to smell like Green Water all day, you'd better plan on bringing your bottle to work with you because several reapplications will be necessary. This fragrance is so delightful and inexpensive, however, it doesn't even matter. Green Water is one you'll WANT to reapply, just to get that wonderful dry, fresh burst of lime and mint.

Green Water is definitely a worthy purchase for fans of green scents or classic eaux de colognes. Fragrances just don't get any more classic than this

MY RATING: 8/10

Sergio Tacchini by Sergio Tacchini

Take one part Gucci Nobile, one part Ho Hang on steroids, and one part vintage Bel Ami, put them all together, and you have an idea of what Sergio Tacchini smells like. This is excellent! I find this scent to be extremely spicy, woody and bold, but never heavy or sweet. I really believe there are a lot more notes in this than the pyramid reveals, and I believe them to be oakmoss and patchouli. ST has a very green mossy smell underneath all the spice, which reminds me of Gucci Nobile, and the sandalwood and what I believe is patchoui make the whole scent smell spicy green. This is bold stuff, but it has mild sillage, and this gives the fragrance a bit of class.

This is the perfect fragrance to wear if you want to exude old-world Mediterranean masculinity. Outstanding work!

MY RATING: 9.5/10

Acqua Classica by Borsari

This fragrance is proof positive that the Acqua di Parma company is ripping you off! Although I do like AdP's colonias, Borsari's is far better, and is sold at a small fraction of the price of a bottle of AdP. I bought my beautiful 3.3 oz. bottle for only $20.

There must be hundreds of Italian-styled colognes in the market today, but I have to say that Borsari's is the best. It has the standard Italian-style lemon and orange opening, but within seconds it separates itself from the competition. There are very subtle spice and wood notes in the background that not only provide sparkling complexity, but provide an almost smoky darkness to the whole scent. The smokiness isn't prominent, but it's subtle, in the background, and adds depth you rarely smell in colognes. AdP's Colonia Intensa tried to accomplish this same effect, but lacked the refinement and subtletly of Borsari's cologne.

I don't get eau de parfum strength from Borsari (my bottle says it's a "Colonia"), but this is longer lasting than your average eau de cologne.

Wearing this is simply a delight. It is discreet yet uplifting. I feel great every time I wear this.

Anyone who says the Italians don't know how to make perfume obviously hasn't smelled Acqua Classica Borsari. A+!!

MY RATING: 9/10