Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

prisca's avatar

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

In my opinion this is one of the best works of Pierre Guillaume, great idea blending the gourmand notes of caramel and toasted hazelnut with the deepness of woods and incense.
    very long lasting on my skin.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

I had to have this fragrance after I found out it was named for Anais Nin. I'm a huge fan, so I knew the perfume had to be great to live up to the name. After so many years, I still love it and I still have to wear it every now and then. It reminds of me of reading "Delta of Venus" the first time in my teens. It's like wearing amethyst lavender-colored velvet on my skin. It's the Mona Lisa's smile. It's not that innocent; there's a definite sweetness at first, but if you look closely into her eyes you'll see that spicyness, that latent heat just ready to be released. It's like Paris in the 1930s in the springtime in a hidden speakeasy jazz club, and I'm just itching to do the jitterbug, but I won't just get up and dance because I want to appear ladylike, but after a few drinks I probably will anyway and then you'll find out that I've got on black fishnets under my gown......

My best friend moved away and when she recently visited, she went into my bathroom and saw all my perfume and she said to me, "I love you most because you are the kind of woman who still loves Anais Anais. It's a classic that no one ever really appreciates anymore except you and I, and I love you for that."

Casmir by Chopard

I bought this perfume because of the ad years ago and I'm pretty sure that ad changed my life! I can still see the ad in my mind's eye. It was a thin woman in a floor length pink flower print dress with huge turquoise jewelry walking with brown leather indian sandals next to an eggplant-colored vintage mercedes benz through the streets of India. That was me to a T. Down to the turquoise jewelry, that exact car, and the indian sandals.....From that moment on, I knew I would travel the world, and I knew I would do it dressed like that woman and wearing this scent....and I have, and my life is blessed because of it.
    To this day, that's what this scent reminds me of. Being blissfully lost in the streets of India, wearing my mother's heirloom turquoise squash blossom necklace - in one of the most breathtakingly beautiful enigmatic countries in the world - searching for the golden temples with their incense and oranges and flower garlands in my nose. I was welcomed and entertained and comforted by strangers who painted my hands with henna; people who are now dear friends. Much like my first experience of India - I was expecting "Bollywood India", and the top notes of this fragrance make you think of that Bollywood cheesy type of India -- but if you hang around long enough, what you get to experience is the country that houses the Taj Mahal, the temple of love, the Kama Sutra, the holy temples and incense, silk saris, the coconut curries, and the hugs from Amma...........This is that India in a bottle. It's warm, it's enduring, it's enigmatic, it's unexpected, it's exotic, it's beautiful and memorable. I've been wearing it for years, but tend to wear it more in the winter with my favorite cashmere white coat, when I want to feel warm and snuggly and drink hot chai and look at my photos of India and just smile because I know the TRUTH because I've been there and now I have a taste for the exotic.....

Shalimar by Guerlain

Shalimar has been and always will be one of my favorite perfumes of all time. It's the one I wear when I feel like I want to be kissed in a garden under the moonlight in summer.
    My grandmother was very much a woman of the 40s era. She had it on her vanity dresser with the big round mirror and the little side drawers full of makeup, and when she would nap in the afternoons, I would play dress up and dap a bit on my wrists, then the classic red "cherries in the snow" lipstick and "pouf" I was sophistocated and elegant, romantic and beautiful all at once. That is how this perfume still makes me feel.

When I wear Shalimar, I picture myself in a peacock blue gown. It's an elegant and very feminine sequined evening gown. I'm dashing out to meet my love in a secret rendesvous in a garden filled with peacocks and fireflies, white flowers that reflect the moonlight and my love feeding me oranges while we kiss.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

So my boyfriend and I have this rule...we each have our night out with the boys/girls. We don't ask and don't tell what REALLY happened on those nights because we trust eachother and love eachother, and for us it's like that "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" slogan kind of thing.
    It just so happens that my friends are wild and dragged me across the border to Tijuana for a day of fun in the sun, gambling, drinking, dancing, and laughing. I came across this fragrance in the duty free store as my girlfriends and I were crossing the border to come back home. I had a wicked licentious smile on my face and some gambling money burning a hole in my pocket, so I stopped in for another huge bottle of Patron tequila when FLOWER caught my eye. I tested it on my wrist and walked around looking for my liquor. I couldn't resist smelling my wrist again and again and again. I forced my girlfriends to smell it again and again and again and we all agreed that it was gorgeously innocent; the PERFECT date perfume. Not the perfume of the "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" woman I was that particular moment as I was searching for that liquor and trying to outrun a hangover, but the woman I'd be when I got home, and back to my boyfriend; the vision of feminity and innocence that he fell in love with....
    I saw him the next day at church. I was wearing my new FLOWER perfume, and a super girly baby pink silk Betsey Johnson dress with Kate Spade heels. He said, "Oh My God, you smell GOOD - did you have fun with your friends?" and with the sweetest, most innocent smile and blink of my lashes I simply said, "yes"

That is this perfume. It's innocence, it's feminine, it's how a man wants a woman to smell. It's his vision of you at your best, most feminine, simplest form. It's sexy too, but not "in your face" sexy, but rather, more like a straightforward honest sexiness. I will always wear this one before a big date with my love!

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

In high school I was quite the flirt, and lucky for me, I dated the most handsome and beautiful young man who would have protected me with his life if he had to. A man who had the face of an angel, silky light brown hair, and a rippled muscular body. An adonis who was confident and masculine, handsome and strong. He was not at all cocky, but sincere and warm, genuine and real. I used to love going out with him. I'd flirt and chit chat with everyone, then race back to him because I couldn't resist running my fingers through his hair and kissing him on the neck just so I could smell how good and strong and wonderful he smelled - so utterly masculine. And he was smart, because he let me flirt and he'd sit there watching me from afar.....KNOWING I'd be back because I was his all along.

Years later, this is what I still search for in a man, or more specifically, in a man's scent, and the minute I smelled this fragrance, I knew that someone had finally put all those very masculine qualities in a bottle. This is what I imagine Michaelangelo's Michael would want to wear first were he ever to spring to life--not clothes, just this fragrance, and while everyone else is admiring him just for his beauty and perfection, I'm captivated by his depth and intellect, drawn into his stories of how he was born at the height of the renaissance era, and what it's really like to have Michaelangelo as his father. That is what this fragrance makes me think of. It's the quintessence of masculine perfection in a bottle.

Amazing Grace by Philosophy

I am a visual person and each time I smell a scent, I close my eyes and see what colors I see; what colors the fragrance evokes. I have to admit that I did not like this fragrance at first, or even the second time I smelled it. But, ahhhhh, on the third try, I tried on the concentrated perfume oil and ~~magic~~
    To me, this is a sheer white silk chiffon. I picture myself wearing this to church in a white flowey dress with a vintage white peacock feather fascinator in my hair but but bright red "I'm not a child, I'm a woman" lipstick; when I want to feel pure, feminine, soft, graceful, to reclaim my innate innocence; when I want to whisper in my boyfriend's ear a sweet little "I love you" straight from the heart. I admit, it doesn't last long enough unless I layer it with the body lotion first, but it's well worth the effort.

Miami Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

This perfume is summer in a bottle, but not the heat of summer rather those twilight hours after the sun's gone down and now you're ready to light a bonfire and watch the sunset while you snuggle in a blanket on the beach. I was raised on the beach and that's what this perfume reminds me of--it's that smell that lingers on your skin after you've spent the whole day on the beach, but now the sun's gone down and you can still smell the sunshine and coconut on your shoulders. This is not a "serious" fragrance, but rather lighthearted and relaxed. I can picture myself wearing this to a club in Miami in a sexy little gold mini dress, gold stiletto gladiator sandals and gold hoop earrings. This is the smell of me after I've gotten a nice bronzey glow on my skin, the sun has lightened my hair, and I've got a big smile on my face and the memories of the ocean waves in my ears. Just a dab or two and I'm off to meet some girlfriends for a sangria, or maybe just flirt a bit with my boyfriend while we tell eachother our summer hopes and dreams while we feed eachother tapas.

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company

My reactions in a sequence.
    1. "Well... salt and vetiver"
    2. "A swimming pool in the morning, recently cleaned!"
    3. "It's the smell of the sea! How is that possible?"
    Note: this phase is DIVINE.Really, really... the sea.
    4. "Smells medicinal...The back of an old apothecary, where they store the pills and herbs..."
    5. "Well... vetiver and who knows - traces of some dark base, maybe patchouli... Goodbye, Sel de Vetiver. Thanks for the sea part."

shoegal68's avatar

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I tried this fragrance a total of three times hoping to like it but honestly I don't. All I smell is baby powder and pampers. This reminds me of my children as babies and it is not what I want to smell like also the smell never fades, it lasted and lasted until the next day.

31st July, 2010 (Last Edited: 06th September, 2010)

shoegal68's avatar

Escale à Pondichéry by Christian Dior

My new favourite, its old school sophistication, I love the elegant bottle and the soft notes of earl grey and orange. Its like a slow and languid sunset I just wish it would last a little bit longer on me but I'll just re-touch more often.

Soul_Music's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I don't often review frags but this is 1 i felt the need to. This is a really sweet floral which to me smells almost fruity, it's a bit feminine from top to bottom IMO but i can't help but love it. From the first wearing this has become one of my favourites, definitely top 3. And as if it isn't enough to smell great, the projection and longevity are both great on this. I will own this for a while (especially as i bought the 200ml bottle, bargain!)

If you like sweet scents this is a must try, i give it a 9/10.

actiasluna's avatar

E.M. Ca' d'Oro by J Peterman

An exotic scent with notes of bergamot, musk, amber, almond-hazelnut, sandalwood, and patchouli. That's the ad hype a la J Peterman and it's pretty spot-on, the bergamot does make an appearance albeit brief, and then the rest of the notes come on strong. And beautiful. There is a warmth and a depth to this scent that says both "niche" and "quality"... and the drydown is musky, ambery, woody, earthy, and wonderful.

BayKAT's avatar

Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I sprtized this on my decollete and thought "Whoa! how did Mom's christmas cookies end up in my shirt???"

You know, the ones you cut with cookie cutters and then cover with thick frosting and little candies? I like these on a tray, just not on my person. Moving on...

Dry down gets better. Love the warm, resinous rose note that radiates out in concentric circles like slow moving molasses (yep, that sweet kick never goes anywhere)

This phase is along the lines of Caron's Pour une Femme, another warm, silky rose fragrance. But Une Femme pairs the rose with incense instead of amber and resins, whihch works better for me (as does the price, which is much less)

Like DoctorMod I was drawn to smelling my sweet self, and I don't really have any complaints about this other than i'm sure the persistant almond note would wear on me after a while. But try it if you can!

astakomakaronada's avatar

Greece Greece

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

A sweet nutty orange scent that follows you for about an hour.After that.....ARRIVEDERCI.

Tabac Blond by Caron

Tabac Blond is amazing! It's everything retro and youthful and rebellious rolled into one scent. I really can't get away from this one, and I'm eternally thankful it fits my skin chemistry. I can see how it is rather hard to wear and not for everybody. I hate the smell in the bottle. The second it hits the skin is when the magic happens. It's a very uplifting fragrance, though not in a soothing way (so girlie girls: beware). This is one you put on to conquer the world. When the world's against me, that is when I love to splash this on and head for French Quarter.

Princess by Vera Wang

This one surprised me. I avoided it like the plague because of the name/look of it, till I got my hands on a really cheap bottle. It's not the best out there, but it's a nice fun scent. I don't get "princess" out of it. Cupcake maybe. It's so subtle on me it's barely there, which I both love and hate. It's great for the super humid heat of summer days in the deep south. That alone makes it a great casual perfume if you're still youthful enough to get away with the "cute" factor. I do wish it had a bit more complexity, but it lasts long enough to make it a fun playful daytime scent.

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

I just picked this one up and after some reservations it's really grown on me. It's definitely one of those scents that will wear you if you're not careful. It comes on very strong and dries down nicely to an elegant woodsy fragrance with a fruity twist that lasts forever. It's feminine, but not girlie. There is a bold and timeless quality about it that makes it beautiful, and yet completely out of place with jeans and tees. I wouldn't wear this one casually. Diamonds does, however, make a great statement for a woman looking for a mature scent that's not old or matronly.

Absynthe by Christian Lacroix

This is my guilty pleasure. A few years ago I wouldn't have been caught dead wearing Avon. I was intrigued by the novelty factor of the name and promos for Absythe. It was cheap enough so I bought a bottle on a whim. At first it was nice, but now I can't put it down. The sad part is the humidity here makes it stuffy and migraine-inducing even though it's not a heavy scent. It's a nighttime or wait till it cools down in the fall scent for me, but it could work in a less humid summer climate. It's definitely given me reason to rethink my views of Avon fragrances.

summergirl's avatar

Innocent Secret by Thierry Mugler

I absolutely loved this fragrance, was desperate to locate it, then realised it was limited edition, so much more evocative and feminine than angel ( which i have reluctantly used as a poor reserve since so hard to locate now sometimes on ebay e.t.c., encapsulates summer in a bottle for me PLEASE bring it back.