Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Karenin's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

Ungaro III by Ungaro

My first blind buy. A curious scent, I must admit. It´s floral, yet managing to stay on the masculine side. The rose is in the limelight in this one, which in itself is a stroke of genius as there aren´t that many masculine fragrances featuring such a well-blended rose note. I´m not sure if I love Ungaro III, but I most certainly like it and would recommend it, especially to individuals who appreciate perfumes whose primary aim is not to appeal to the masses. Ungaro III may not be everyone´s cup of tea.

Karenin's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Chanel AHEB is a likeable scent. It starts off with a refreshing lemon note, which is joined by peppers and barely perceptible (at least to my nose) vanilla in the drydown. Perfect for spring/summer, but I can well imagine using this frag all year round. I would have bought it a long time ago were it not so overpriced.

drummerboy20's avatar

Thallium by Jacques Evard

Lightly toasted, caramelized vanilla. Not much else going on here, but nicely done. Makes me wonder if it could be lightly layered against some other scent…

-Frug

Yeah I agree. Hollister Socal, would be the first fragrance Im thinking of to layer with this, very gooood indeed

Normandie by Jean Patou

Totally agree with VintageVogue- Normandie- it's like Vol de Nuit. Vol de Nuit minus the spicey top notes. Amber -vanilla combo ,a bit dusty ,a bit dark ,abit old world ,but very classic and delicious. One to try. This one could never offend anyone and if it does, they are out of their mind ! Proctor and Gamble need to re launch this one- they must be crazy to have discontinued such a warm and wonderful fragrance.

Diamond Water by JAR

The first time I sampled Diamond Water,i got a jolt in the top notes- a bit fetid ,bad btreah , animalsitic- similar to what I got from the top notes of L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris. Diamond Water then evolved into the most beautiful dark, incensey ,carnation ,plus other florals I cannot distinguish. Blended into a floral ,clove-y leather - simply magnificient.The consequent times I wore Diamond Water- it seems I have got past the top notes which now just appear like fresh incense and peppery clove to me. It has a very classically vintage feel to it ,very exclusive ,quite different fro naything else on the market. A wonderful lot of naturals probably went into this scent. Diamond Water evolves to a depth of incense floral darkness - poetical and beautiful . Very tenacious.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Wearing the extrait right now, I can't help but be blown away every time I put it on. I recall first trying this in the winter, and somehow it picked up a winter-time association, but now it just has the association with luxury and elegance. My mission upon going to the Guerlain boutique in San Francisco was: return with a bottle of Vol de Nuit! Instead, I returned with a bottle of Jicky parfum. How could I not? At least, both are required for me. Smelling this now makes me lament; why don't they make things like this anymore? The leathery floral aspects are simply haunting, and I love the green/narcissus. This still isn't something I actively wear out in public, but I think I would like to once I get a bottle of EdT to layer over the parfum. It's just too special to walk out of the house to the corner bar or the grocery store wearing, but even in the privacy of my own home, I'm often sitting in a chair, smelling the small dab I've applied, and closing my eyes in ecstasy.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

The opening of Arpege Pour home is like a spicy Creamsicle, but in the best possible way. Pepper, orange, and vanilla dominate for the first hour and then the spice recedes and the scent mellows out to a very welcoming sweet oriental for the next hundred hours or so (it lasts forever!).
    I like ApH much more now than when I first purchased it, and have found it's a 'have a nice day' type of scent. It's too pleasant, warm, and open to be formal for me, but it exudes an accessible aura that makes the wearer very approachable. Too potent for more than three sprays, but otherwise a useful and very enjoyable offering that can easily double as a unisex.

04 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2010)

Shifty Bat's avatar

Bijan Wicked for Men by Bijan

Distortech wasn't kidding with the comparisons to CK One and Chrome. Bijan Wicked is somehow both scents combined with all the bad parts removed and at a fraction of the cost. Being from New England, having 'Wicked' in the name automatically garners extra points from me. Above and beyond anything else I have to say Wicked is redolent of Lily Of the Valley, which grows in my yard. The scent is near dead-on and I love it. An ozonic-floral for men that smells like it could have been produced a few streets away? This is Cape Cod in a bottle, minus the sea spray. I'll wear this in warm weather as long as I have it.

BayKAT's avatar

Capucci de Capucci by Roberto Capucci

A big Wow for this one, I"m really enjoying it. Sometimes perfumes come off with a big ol' hair spray note, which this one does have, but it is tempered by a wonderful spicy, woody base. If someone walked by me wearing this i'd think, "ooh, that person has good taste!!" (and at this point i should mention my sample came by way of Hillaire, who most certainly does have good taste!)

If Brielle is right and this has been discontinued what a shame. I'ts very wearable, rich and interesting. Love it!

JeanieE's avatar

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

DIVINE fragrance. It went straight from my test list to my OWN IT list: Thank you, thank you, thank you, BN member Warum, who recommended this fragrance to me after I inquired in the forums about female fragrances with prominent Beeswax notes. Warum did not care for the top and mid notes (and wished me luck on these in JM FLB); however she appreciated the base note (beeswax.) Yes, I'm in luck, because I do love linden blossom. Tried it on in Nordstroms at Easton in Columbus, OH and immediately was transported back to a few weeks ago, an almost enchanted evening walk across the street under my neighbors' linden trees. To be honest, I do not yet appreciate the beeswax note, but I am enamored anyways with FLB. And now I am introdeced to the wonderful world of Jo Malone as well! Thanks again, Basenotes!!

Pamplemousse's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I tried this on in John Lewis last week. Admittedly, with several other fragrances. I had Aramis on my right wrist, Obsession on back of right hand, Givenchy Gentleman on my left wrist, and this on the back of my left hand. Also Chanel Pour Monsieur on my left elbow, and Eau Sauvage on my right. Yes, spot the newboy.

Interestingly, though I thought it smelt like someone had wiped a wet boiled sweet on the back of my hand at first, the two I kept coming back to smell were this and the Aramis. I hope I liked this for more than just a sweet smell, but I intend to go back and try it again (yes, on its own), because you can't fault what you instinctively want to smell again, right? Interesting..

newstrawn's avatar

1445 by Castle Forbes

On me I get grasses and ferns followed by a mild vetiver/resin dry down. Very nice.

nightcutter's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

I'm a sucker for any scent that has vanilla as a main component (which to my nose this does even if it's not listed) and sandalwood as well.

And Bottled has both.

Bottled is a nice autumn fragrance although it will work well in all but the hottest seasons. Also a safe fragrance for a formal-ish occasions, it's clean, manly and business-like.

The opening can be a little sweet in the top notes but the heart and dry down are very nice indeed. It has above average silage and longevity.

There seem to be quite a few fragrances along the lines of Bottled. I think Bottled itself is a 'copy' of Chanel Allure Homme.

Don't trust that the new Bottled Night will be good though. I've tried it and it's a nasty synthetic green on dry down, smelling just like Jaguar Performance.

04 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2011)

Goldaline's avatar

Sheherazade by Jean Desprez

I wore this one in the mid to late 80's. I first bought it in Harrods in 1983 just after it was launched, and then re-bought it in Coral Gables, Florida (at a perfume shop on Miracle Mile) in 1989. I loved it. It was both chypre and powdery, making it very, very distinctive and terribly elegant. The bottle was exquisite, too.

So I have to ask: "Why, oh why, was Sheherazade discontinued?"

Please bring it back!!

Frangipani Absolute by Ormonde Jayne

Now this is a really good frangipani scent in my humble opinion ! It smells just like frangipani - the living flower.It's got the bit of pollen going on ,a touch of flowery spice of a fresh flower,the delicate yet quite distinctive aroma. Fab. I do love this one. Well done OJ !

Tolu by Ormonde Jayne

Another one that I tried in London with Linda Pilkington at my side. Yummy blast of juniper and orange blossom ,lovely blended rose ! But oh the frankincense ,tolu ,amber - deep ,powdery . This is one of my favorites . Pretty gorgeous.

Champaca by Ormonde Jayne

A good ,standard ,floral fragrance but I do actually find it a little boring. Neroli and fressia - sweet ,gourmand ,pretty sheer and airy to me. Not very heavy on the champaca - needs more punch if it's going to be called 'Champaca' . Not for me but its beauty is appreciated .

Sampaquita by Ormonde Jayne

How can I say it any better than Off Scenter ! :D Read his review- that is how I feel too. This kind of scent does not apeal to me - it's 'hotel lounge' in feel . Plushy done ,everything is in its right place but a bit...boring .It's 'pretty' and well made but I feel no need to seek it out.

Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne

I also smell rose in here, like Suga does. I first smelt this one in London with Linda herself who picked it out for me to try . I like it ,it's a quality oriental .Velvety and pretty potent .I understand the 'noir' bit - it's spicey ,resinous and ambery but the iris is a little weak ?

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

KELLY CALECHE is not so much a soft leather fragrance than it is a shimmery translucent floral composition centered around a doughy iris, rounded or sweetened just a touch by rose and muguet, with tuberose adding a little leathery texture.

Overall it may smell a tad synthetic to some but I feel the minimalist stripped-down approach taken by JC Ellena lifts it, imbuing it with a sense of understated luxury. Tasteful and rather chic too, I might add, almost like a Chanel. But it feels positively demure and retiring compared to Chanel's Cuir de Russie or other soft floral leather/suede fragrances such as Serge Lutens' Daim Blond or Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur. And as enjoyable Kelly Caleche is, I just wish it projects a little further than an inch and lasts longer than 3 or 4 hours on my skin. Not too impressed with the generic drydown either.

Notes from Osmoz.com
    ******************
    green notes, lily-of- the-valley, rose, narcissus, mimosa, tuberose, iris, leather, woodsy notes.

*** This review is of the EDT ***

05 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2010)

Derby by Guerlain

This took me a few tries. The first time I smelled it I was struck by the woods. Then the second time I felt it smelled too "mature" for me. By the third time I was wondering what was wrong with me because I loved it so much I had to have it. One of the first things I did when applying from my new bottle was to wear some Bandit next to it, since both occupy this leather chypre territory. It was an interesting trial, and I felt that the two were siblings. Bandit was more green an biting where Derby had the smooth warm Guerlain base to heat up the leather, but they both seemed to be from the same family. Derby is obviously Guerlain, though, and it's majestic and masculine. It never fails to elicit compliments, and in this day and age your average guy sure doesn't smell like this. Like many of the great Guerlains, this is one I put on and just feel luxury and confidence emanating from me. It does have an "old" feeling to it, but I experience it more as a gravitas and weight of soul now that of physical age. The only annoying thing is the packaging; those glass bee bottles are gorgeous, but those bulb atomizers are worse than useless. I long to be able to spray it on with abandon instead of dab, but that is the fault of the packaging, not this wonderful fragrance that glows with a warm golden aura.

Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I feel like this and Nahema occupy a top tier of rose fragrances out there. I've never sprayed this on with abandon, but perhaps I should at some point. Even one spray throws off some sillage, so if I'm joining the company of mortals, I haven't applied with fervor. I haven't done a side by side comparison with Nahema, which I feel would prove interesting, but this certainly says "rose" rather loudly. To me it's a "bright" fragrance, operating in shades of light pink and pale reds as opposed to the maroons and blood reds of other roses. It has more of the feel of walking by a rose bush and smelling the bloom on the stem, but it still retains a wine-y aspect that fresh roses have. Roses in perfumery always smell like peach to me if done right, and this has it. Now I know that if I detect that peachy hint in a fragrance, it's the rose. I don't know if I would ever, as a man, wear this, put it's such a well done rose that I have to champion it.

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

For one, this is the first fragrance that has caused me to break out in a rash, so I'm clearly allergic to something in it. That aside, it's an ok incense; it reminds me of some of the Serge Lutens fragrances with their heavy oriental feeling. AWSF has the kind of heavy purple feeling (thanks to that violet?) that many of the SL's have, but since I'm an incense freak, there are better scents out there. If I'm going to buy an incense, I'll stick to the Armani, CdG, or one that blew them all away, Sonoma Scent Studio's Incense Pure.

Turtle Vetiver Exercise 1 by LesNez

It's kind of cruel that this was made in such limited production, but I'm wearing it today so I figured I'd throw in my two cents. As a vetiver fanatic, I had to own a bottle, and I don't regret buying it unsniffed. I like my vetivers strong, the stronger the better. I want that olfactory slap across the face when I spray a vetiver, and I feel Turtle Vetiver delivers. I don't get a sense of refinement in this, which is no bad thing. Instead of the intellectual conversation vetiver can deliver, this is a blunt, forward pronouncement. It feels marine with iodine features, strong in the grapefruit, and both vetiver and grapefruit can lend an air of sweat. Maybe it's the name, but the presence of the iodine/marine notes do conjure the sense of sea turtles and wet oceanic rocks. It's interesting how the presence of different citrus can bring out a different tone in vetiver; this isn't the citrusy pepper of Guerlain's, nor is it the lemony cedar of Malle's. All the same, I definitely want it in my wardrobe, which cannot have too many vetivers.

tiffingirl's avatar

Tamango by Léonard

This is an oldie and a goodie and one that lovers of floral aldehydes such as Rive Gauche, Arpege, No 5, and Caleche might well enjoy. This is actually quite lovely: the formula hasn't changed over the years as far as I can tell. Elegant and yet easy to wear, a softer aldehyde with a lovely touch of oakmoss in the base.

Top Notes: Aldehydes, hyacinth, iris, wild orchid.
    Heart Notes: Rose, lily of the valley, jasmine.
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, oakmoss, vetiver, musk.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Must de Cartier Clair De Jasmin by Cartier

Fabulous smoky jasmin for the fellas...

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Fifth Avenue Nights by Elizabeth Arden

Gorgeous vanilla scent, very reminiscent of an arabian night...

Bennsn's avatar

Emporio Armani City Glam for Him by Giorgio Armani

This was actually the first fragrance from the higher prize segment that i bought. I remember taking shy steps trough the drugstore, carefully taking a few sniffs from those expensive looking bottles in the parfum shelf and the excitement i felt when i found this one (and ordered it on ebay a couple hours later ;) ).

I was shocked to see how much hate this juice gets here on basenotes. I wonder now if i spent last year disgusting people wearing this olfactory catastrophy people are describing here or if i just have some kind of special body chemistry.

Being a little bit more experienced now i am definitely not as excited anymore as i was when i first bought it, but i still like it. It smells nothing like the name suggests, though. Nothing i find to be glamorous or city...cious? ;) It smells more like freshly washed bed sheets on a spring day.

I am wearing it right now for this review and i still can't smell anything unpleasant in it. Just a really nice comfortable, fresh, minty fragrance

Wyllowdaemon's avatar

Tabu by Dana

Smells like an old woman in church with musk perfume on wearing a filthy wet , mouldering fur coat with a smidgen of cat pee on it. Horrid. I got this new at a discount store to try it since I had heard it was a classic, my husband said it smells like a bottle of s*&%! I love Opium and other orientals but this is absolutely vile.

Maria Augusta's avatar

24, Faubourg by Hermès

My favourite scent. Just love it. I never feel so myself as while using it!