Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Maria Augusta's avatar

Love in Black by Creed

I don´t consider it unissex. Can´t imagine a man smelling like this. It´s strong and intense and sort of too much to my senses.

05 July, 2010

ExtremeK's avatar

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a review of Chene dabbed rather than sprayed. On me, Chene does not unfold according to the published fragrance pyramid. Instead, I immediately get a lot of rum and oak and just a touch of smoke. Chene is sweetest/booziest for me in the first 30 seconds after application, and it's one of my all-time favorite openings. Then the sweetness disappears entirely, and I get lots and lots of hot, dry, smoky oak, with the smoke giving off just a hint of scorch. Chene is utterly fabulous in this stage. Yes, Chene is more overtly masculine than many SL scents, but I feel very comfortable wearing Chene. It wears close to the skin, but once you've been drawn in, it reaches out and grabs you, demanding to be not simply sniffed but inhaled. It's just wonderful. After about 3-4 hours, I start getting the thyme and immortelle which, in combination, seem to smooth out the slightly scorched oak, and the smoke retreats to a smolder. And there it remains for a good 2 more hours. Like most SL scents, I suspect the longevity will be significant when sprayed, given that it lasts a good 5-6 hours dabbed on me. Wonderful stuff. I can't wait to wear it in the autumn.

05 July, 2010

odysseusm's avatar

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

I have completely re-written my review, including a change from neutral to thumbs up. This is a challenging, complex scent. It cannot be assimilated in one or a few trials. I find that it has parts which attract me greatly, and parts with which I struggle.
    First, I am happy to have a notes list, which seems accurate to what I detect.
    Notes: bergamot, mandarin orange, galbanum, spearmint, basil, clove, labdanum, smoky cypress, moss, musk.
    This starts with very green herbal and coniferous notes. This phase is excellent, but regrettably very brief.
    The scent quickly develops a gruff, bold, assertive and spicy character -- very old-school! With its clove-y spice note, it reminds me of the revamped Rive Gauche, which Tom Ford designed. At times, Gucci Nobile stands as an apt comparison.
    Then appears the aspect I find is at once unique and challenging. It truly seems to me to capture accurately a dirty old metallic ashtray or an old clay pipe bowl. Sharp, slightly stale notes of smoke and minerals abound, and persist. Perhaps there are also vestiges of cold dark coffee drying in a cup, for a true cigarette and coffee vibe.
    This complex chord persists through the life of the scent. It is never unpleasant, and at times it conveys a world-weary character that is charming. At other times its "dirtyness" seems a bit problematic to me.
    The dry-down generally is pleasing, at times even haunting. The mint keeps reappearing to brighten the otherwise dusky proceedings. At times, I do get a Yatagan vibe in the later stages.
    I wish it was more woody and resinous. I love cypress, and find it overwhelmed here. I wish that ashtray note was less prominent.
    Do I find it bottle-worthy? No, not at this point. Yet I cannot dismiss it. It is a very striking scent. It invites further attention.

05 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2011)

MOONB's avatar

Sung by Alfred Sung

Green, semi-sweet floral with indolic hyacinth and ylang-ylang accords. Slightly vanillic ambery base. With under-application (1 spritz) this is a nice, light white floral scent. With over-application (4 or more spritzes) this may have that "greenhouse" effect.

Edit: Having worn Sung several more times after purchasing, and comparing its white floral arrangement to that of the iridescent Tommy Girl, I must confess a diminution in opinion for the older of the two fragrances. For whatever reason, Sung's bouquet never seems to fully open the way the orange blossom and jasmine of Tommy Girl lilts into the air through its green tea opening. The Sung florals screech, becoming somewhat chemical and one-note, with a trite indolic sweetness that hovers between handsoap and hairspray. It may be uncouth of me to compare an '80s wedding floral to a jeans-and-T '90s teeny-bopper Hilfiger, but what can I say? As an owner of both, I found myself enjoying and wearing one much more than the other, which is to say that Tommy Girl remains a welcome member of my small staple, while Sung recently found a new home in the trash.

05 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 February, 2011)

Gabbanaguy's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

Im pretty new to frags, but I know what I like and I Indeed like JV Artisan. I was at a local dept store testing some new colognes sometime In Feb. The lady behind the service desk asked me If I woould like a free sample of Artisan, I sad "sure why not"? I hit my wrists and walked around the mall. I checked my wrist with my nose about 20min later, man was I Impressed. I think so many frags smell so much alike, but not this one. I can honestly say that I have never experenced anything like It before. The first Impression I got was this freshness with a clean hint of orange blossom. Again Im new to all this so my decriptions will be vague at best, sorry. Artisan Is a very special scent as far as Im concerned. The lady at my local Starbucks asked me what I was wearing, I told her and she said that she had to have It for her husband. The longivity Isn't great but It's not bad either, Im getting about four to five hours out of for four to five sprays. I dont like to wear to much, my rule of thumb Is If you are out of my reach, you should not be able to detect my scent. JV has become my sig frag, I really like It because It's different, and thats a very good thing. JV also works well on me In warmer as well as colder weather, I notice no discernible difference reguardless of season.

05 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2011)

LiveJazz's avatar

Ambre Canelle by Creed

I was so looking forward to smelling Ambre Canelle. A stately amber with cinnamon, one of my favorite notes. But alas, it did not agree with me. Ambre Canelle doesn't strike as particularly ambery, and I don't notice much of a cinnamon note, either. Mostly, I get stale soap and ambergris.

Stuffman has described my experience with it perfectly, and I will quote him:
    "At first whiff, it seemed to lie somewhere in the generic continuum between Youth Dew and Chanel No. 5, full of powder with no discernible masculinity whatsoever. As the scent dried down, the most prominent note to my nose was rose, overlayed on delicate powder with traces of cinnamon."

Very soapy, and the soap clashes with the heavier spice elements in a way that just bothers me. This isn't what I signed up for.

For a masculine Creed with comforting sillage and a very nice, toasty cinnamon note, look to Baie de Genievre, which beats this stuff in every way.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Let it Rock by Vivienne Westwood

I love this one - warm, spicy yet not pungent or overbearing as a lot of the spicier scents seem to be. Surprisingly subtle and yes, much like an english garden after a good rainshower. Lovely.

mikeperez23's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Lemon-Fresca by Guerlain

I am a citrus lover and I am a fan of Guerlain so I came to this scent with high expectations. Perhaps too high.

The lemon note is a bit muted and not quite as juicy as the box/packaging picture might imply. Sort of a muted, non-pareil lemon-after-dinner-mint kind of lemon. After this dries down, the sweetness is amplified by a fruit note (pear?) that tends to animate the citrus and (at least to me) smell like something young girls spray on at Sephora with abandon.

It doesn't really transition much from there, since AALF is a very linear scent. It is not entirely surprising as many of the AA are structured this way, but it is no excuse for a Guerlain release that smells wholly unoriginal, uncreative and a bit cheap.

Disappointed.

30 Roses's avatar

French Lilac by Pacifica

Definitely try the body butter; I find it more realistic and less grassy than the solid or the spray EdT. The body butter has a strong scent which is quite long lasting; the solid wears much too close to the skin. Four stars for the body butter; 2 for the solid or EdT.

If you are looking for the best lilac perfume, I can't recommend a better one than Highland Lilac of Rochester. I would layer that one with the Pacifica body butter.

Fredrik Lönnberg's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Honeysuckle Eau de Cologne by Galimard

An excellent honeysuckle eau de cologne! No more, no less. Very competent and inexpensive.

subhuman85's avatar

Jovan Musk by Jovan

My favorite "cheap and cheerful" find thus far, the oil version of Jovan Musk. Stetson is too powdery and bland, Wild Musk isn't nearly, and Vanilla Musk is too cloying. Jovan's original musk does the trick when I'm in the mood for something subtle (which doesn't strike often) but still substantial. I recommend the oil over the cologne or body spray because of its longer life on the skin and its lack of obnoxiously powdery/aldehydic top notes. The oil just sits on your skin and permeates it, the fragrance is denser, and the sillage is minimal. And yes, it's great for layering, but no slouch on its own, either. For those days when you don't want to broadcast to the world what you're wearing, but don't want to resort to a sheer NonScent, give Jovan Musk Oil a try.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

Shamu's review is quite excellent and on the money. This does smell less powdery than Le Male and the vanilla is toned down but still noticeable. I also agree with the "barbershop" vibe, it's there, and so is a little bit of that 80's feel.

This beats 360 White which is just an overly powdery/cloying Le Male wannabe with everything crammed into the opening. Not a horrible fragrance, but if you're looking for a less expensive Le Male alternative, and are in a bind between 360 White and Cuba Gold, then go with the GOLD! You won't be disappointed, and at 6 or 7 bucks (sometimes even less) for 3.3 ounces, you have little to lose.

babsbendix's avatar

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

A few years ago I went into a dressing room at Bloomingdale's just as a beautiful, elegant Persian woman was walking out. The almost burned, sweet resin-y smell she left in her wake stunned me, and I wondered what the heck her perfume was, or if she'd been smoking something illicit. I described it to a friend who loves this sort of scent, and she told me it sounded like Addict. Checked it out at Sephora, and yep, it was. When I wear it I get in the opening the same green something or other that I liked about Dune, and the drydown is RIDICULOUS and dirty in the best way. I understand that it may be vulgar, and whatevs.

Sila's avatar

Denmark Denmark

David Beckham Instinct Ice by Beckham

Girls love this one...... :D

Sweet and sharp..... last longtime on me.... :)

Force of One's avatar

Ulysse by Vicky Tiel

Bought this to complete the free shipping requirement of an order online, after a quick sample at the mall previously.

It's nice, unoffensive scent to me - reminds me of the static cling sheets you throw in the dryer. I envisioned this originally as more of a warm weather scent but now I'm not sure....I will probably use this on a very casual basis, on some of those days where I just put something on before i head out. Very cool looking bottle if you are into that.

I'm giving this a thumbs up, but it's really just a hair over a neutral for me.

Force of One's avatar

Ignition by Lomani

This was my first blind buy based on it being a) extremely inexpensive b) fairly well regarded as a Vanilla frag. I have to say, upon first testing I am really liking this! People are saying teak but to me it smells like cedar. Unlike L'Occitane Eav de baux (which I really like) this is more vanilla-over cedar, while that is more cedar-over-vanilla to me.

If you are into gourmand scents, I think this is definitely worth a try....I agree with the other poster in that I can't see wearing this everyday or all that often, but I am glad I have it at my disposal.

kodafume's avatar

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

The sweet and very adult florals in the headnotes speak of sensual slowness, sweetness, and sultry spicyness soon swelling up. There is something very assured and knowing about this scent. I can't imagine being able to put confidence in a bottle (it's scent anyway) but this has it. It's not trying to floor you with flowers or seduce you with sweetness, and it takes its time to get to the drydown where some of that floral achord takes on notes of incense and burning wood that remind me of old hollywood.

Class in a bottle to be sure.

kodafume's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Goes on subtle with low silage but turns into a monster drydown
    I tested a 1ml sampler with a thin touch applicator.

When I first applied a few touches of this elixir to my neck and inner elbow I wondered if it were not lightly scented water so undetectable was it's scent. I estimate about 1 drop of it was used total or about .20ml so I know I didn't over apply it.

The top notes and heart notes were typical creed in that they were wonderful and had that something that Creeds do that defies description. It smelled like cologne should smell, real and magical and full of possibilities and mystery.

I enjoyed the head notes and heart notes quite a lot but as the day wore on and the drydown began I began to get a headache from the basenotes. Even with the slightly sweet earthyness of ambergriss in the drydown I found myself frowning. The dry woody quality in the basenotes might be pleasant if smelled occasionally but the strength of this snuck up on me and left me with a bitter taste in the back of my throat, like inhaling the scent of burning capers.

I dislike CK's Eternity for a similar chord in it's drydown that leaves me tasting bitter and my head pounding.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A very fresh, unoffensive, summertime scent. Best suited to younger guys, but wearable by anyone. A victim of its own popularity. Not something I personally wear much, but a great standby. If a guy could only have one bottle, he could do much worse than this.

Bijan for Men by Bijan

As a fan of some of the "big" scents form the 70's and 80's such as Aramis and Kouros, and modern biggies such as the A*Men line, I blind bought this one based on the reviews here.

Long story short, this stuff is a mess. Loads of notes tripping over one another, acrid, strong as hell, and drying down into a very "old lady" type of smell. I can't make heads or tales of it, besides the fact that it smells bad.

It takes something pretty radical to offend my sense of smell, but this does it. Maybe it's just something in my chemistry, but I don' get on with this one at all. Come to think of it, even the bottle sucks.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Very clean and masculine without being over-the-top in any regard. Old school, "shave and a haircut" scent. Nothing exotic here, just a solid men's scent. Good staying power with light to moderate application. A modern classic, IMO.

Atman by Phat Farm

Starts off promising enough, with some citrus and a touch of spice. It quickly dries down to the Brut deoderant spray I recall from the early/mid 80's. Very uninspired, but not entirely offensive.

shrinkingviolet's avatar

Tropical Punch by Escada

This fruity, flroal, summery fragrance always made me smile. A big burst of tropical fragrance that wafted me back to Caribbean holidays settled to a surprisingly long-lasting middle and base. One of the few fragrances I bought several times in its limited lifetime. I think this was one of the best Escada 'limited edition' fragrances and one which deserved to live longer than one summer. Bring it back please!

shrinkingviolet's avatar

Fidji by Guy Laroche

A true classic, and I have no idea why I stopped using it after several years. I love the complexity which takes you on a sensual journey from the uplifting instant burst to the delicious sandalwood basenotes (I'm a bit of a sandalwood nut). I really must get some more.

Amor Amor by Cacharel

I don't understand how people hate this :O
    its so gorgeous, Reminds me of 2003 i used it so much, went through about 8 bottles i even kept 2 spare in the house cause i loved it so much, all my mates even started to wear it which annoyed me lol cause its my scent!! 7 years on and its stil 1 of my faves and i stil hav 2 full bottles !

Anglomania by Vivienne Westwood

This has got tobe 1 of my faves!
    Its so classy, I love it soooo much deffinetly in my top 3 xx

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

love this so much, its ever lasting and so wow, every time i wear this someone comments all the time in a good way too! nice big bottle too, cant go wrong with this

Princess by Vera Wang

I love this ! Its totally me :D
    1 i wear to the club without a doubt!! Dont care what it costs its lasted me ages and i use plenty of it, last for ages to i can always smell it on my clothes even the next morning!!

Black XS for Her by Paco Rabanne

Amazing smell to this, How can it not be liked, its perfect for day and night! lush bottle too!!! love it trust me its a must have !

hsk's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

this is amazing! i have been using for a few years now. however have you lot seen the new Boss Bottled Night? i smelt it the other day and am certainly going to buy it!
    i would recomend it, you can also get it a little cheaper than the high street in the uk at this website i found on google, haircareshop. there range is small but a good selection and have already ordered my new version of the boss bottled range!