Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

hsk's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

this has to be there in one the best i've used! if you do like this then you should also go for diesel only the brave, that is fantastic aswell. where do you normally buy from? i see them at so many different prices and i cant tell who to trust, i have just recently bought a few products from some site on google called haircareshop, they seem to have some good deals and everything i have got so far has been with good service. i bought this 1 million in a gift set would i would definatly buy again!!!

06th July, 2010

ComDiva's avatar

Fleur d'Oranger by Fragonard

I find this to be a delightful, crisp and light neroli. I often have trouble with white flower scents going 'brown and waxy' on me, but Fragonard's Fleur d'Oranger stays fresh and happy. This, in turn, makes ME happy! And the price is nice, too.

LiveJazz's avatar

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Wow, Sycomore has just catapulted into my purchase shortlist.

After a startling opening that reminds me of cigarette wrapped in grass for about 30 seconds, Sycomore beautifully morphs first into a smoky green vetiver (the smoke provided by burning cypress, IMO), then the smoke fades out, revealing and iris-flavored sandalwood and vetiver accord, with just a hint of plush tobacco in the background, working with the iris to soften things. As the base deepens, smoke fades out completely, and we're left with a powdered sandalwoody vetiver.

Other than the iris, I'm not getting a lot of florals out of this...in fact, I'd say that, along with vetiver, creamy sandalwood plays a dominant role on my skin. Imagine a pure vetiver-iris accord layered on top of Tam Dao's pure, green, creamy woods. That's the impression I get, and it's perfect.

Heartwood's avatar

Haiku by Avon

Citrus and jasmine
    Not much oriental here
    Fair fruity floral

Oviatt's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

I was a precocious lad; my first scent in the early seventies wasn't by Jovan or Shulton. It was Guerlain's Vetiver that I picked out myself. That was the original formulation and even though I loved it and used the whole bottle, I never replaced it (moving on to Dunhill's wonderful Blend 30). For some reason, it smelled great but never smelled like me. Maybe I just wasn't used to wearing fragrance (fine French ones, anyway). Since then, I have worn several other Guerlain scents, in fact consider Heritage to be a signature scent, but I have never returned to Vetiver, through its reformulations....

Until now. I recently bought a bottle of the 1988 Eau de Toilette and I must say, it is wonderful.

It has all of the freshness and depth that I remember plus an oddly smokey, oily, wet note that I did not recall smelling all of those years ago. Many posters here call it the perfect summer scent. I don't see it as the perfect summer scent the way Imperiale or Eau du Coq are, for example. It may just be a perfect scent for all seasons, full stop. This in the fall would be wonderful, with its nutmeg and tobacco. Now it smells very much like me and has (re)joined my collection for good.

sfonativeboy's avatar

Santos by Cartier

I had it ... back in the 80's
    I also was young and full of Ideas or Dreams ...
    Notions of what I thought made me feel Rich,Sophisticated and Elegant...
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme along with fave Santos Cartier...
    created that illusion for me...
    wow.... who knew that a long-lasting,
    sweet-strong sandalwood, mix of lavender, basil, vetiver, carnation, patchouli..
    with a dry down that is an exquisite mixture of ambergris in a deep-down leathery/smokey/incense-like chords
    would make me long for those youthful days .. now!

shamu1's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

I hated this when I first smelled it, but a couple of wearings has since made me a fan. I don't find this to be quite as innovative as other reviews do, but one thing that sets Dirty English apart from other modern masculine frags is that it actually smells MANLY! This is not fresh, aquatic or wimpy at all. It may not be a strong scent, but Dirty English has some balls.

This is primarily a spicy wood fragrance, with a dark leather and tobacco accent in the base. It smells like it makes heavy use of synthetic materials, but in the case of Dirty English, that's not a bad thing at all. The most obvious nod to current day masculines is its use of cardamom. I hate cardamom in fragrance for the most part, because so many designer scents use it as the main attraction note, which makes so many modern scents smell metallic, synthetic, astringent and caustic. Dirty English, however, gives it a different twist. Instead of using it as a key note, DE uses it to create a slightly dirty, raunchy smell on top of the main woody spice and leather accords, and this raunchiness is sustained throughout the life of the scent. I find this to not only be an impressive olfactory illusion of animalic funk, but it adds complexity and character to Dirty English.

What I like most about Dirty English is how it smells darker, woodier, and smokier as it evolves. It's a complex scent that just smells more and more masculine as time goes on.

My only complaint is that I wish it had better sillage. On my skin, Dirty English is very subtle, never projecting more than a couple of inches. I need to really apply this liberally to be able to smell it on myself. Longevity, on the other hand, is unbelievable; I can still smell this on my skin (albeit subtlely) a good 12 to 16 hours after applying it. For this reason, as well as its very masculine smell, Dirty English reminds me a lot of Worth Pour Homme, another great long-lasting skin scent.

Ignore the stupid name and cheezy packaging and give Dirty English a try if you want a modern designer masculine scent that actually smells masculine.

MY RATING: 8/10

Morning Star's avatar

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

In my opinion that initial "fecal" note encountered by some of BN reviewers may be result of using the anise in fragrance....sometimes I got a similiar effect from Caron Third Man, that is also dosed with anise...anyway I like them both because their drydown is unique and pleasant

moss1310's avatar

Opoponax / Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

An opening of wonderful opoponax that quickly dissipates. What follows is a sweet and spicy arange creamsicle scent that is pretty vile and almost makes it unwearable. The drydown bounces the scent back from nauseating though. A rich, warm, resinous vanilla. Unfortunately, it isn't enough to save the scent completely.

moss1310's avatar

Vanithé by Nez à Nez

Cheap smelling is right! The verbena opening is too sweet. The tea that comes in isnt dark enough to balance the whole thing out. Yes, it does settle down in about 20 minutes and luises the sweet lemon tea vibe, but the sweet-woody-vanilla base still isnt something I would want to wear.

Black Mask's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Obsession is an indiscreet Amber scent with some spice notes struggling to emerge. Although there are hints of musk and patchouli, the aggressive and lingering sweet amber is strong and unchanging. It does subdue pleasantly in drydown.

The recipe is not complex enough to describe as an Oriental, but its dry down is cozy and tasty, literally tasty, reminsiscent of sweets or pastry. But like everything else that tries to reveal itself in this fragrance, even the edible notes are overpowered by the ever present amber. And this is not a subtle or complex amber. I think the scent is too unsophisticated for an older man to wear out.

I use my spray as a room freshener. In very small doses I find the aura of Obsession for Men soothing and pleasant. Apply it very sparingly. Do not use it as a cologne but as a touch of spice.

tsuzumi's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

I have been reconsidering this one recently. I bought it blind from in-flight duty free when it was still fairly new. I usually used a pretty wet-spot concentrated application in those days, and I never got past the rather bitter opening. At the end of the day, it was just cloying. None of the sweeter vanillic or tonka notes could come through. Recently I have been doing more walk-through-the-mist applications. This really allowed the interesting mid and base notes to come through. I think the target market for this is not young clubbers. Allure is trying to project a sophisticated-- maybe European-- image. It is certainly distinctive. I think it is useful when I need something distinctive but not overpowering or offensive, like when I go to a classical music concert. I can see how lovers of Antaeus would be disappointed, but the concept here is quite different. I think it is well-done, and very interesting if applied properly.

tsuzumi's avatar

Adidas Victory League 2006 by Adidas

I agree with another reviewer, who said it is reminiscent of Allure. I think having this has shown me something about Allure--its development is much more interesting. I don't get the connection with Boss Bottled at all--VL seems much drier. But I appreciate the effort to produce something a bit higher in quality at drugstore prices.

Conor's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This is the single driest, thinnest, most austere fragrance I've ever tried. It's the smell of the Outer Party in Nineteen Eighty-Four; Agent Smith in The Matrix if you prefer. It opens with a shrill, bitter headache of herbaceous, woody and citrus notes, drying in the extreme.
    Just as suddenly as they appeared the opening notes float away and a slightly softer variation surfaces; lime juice is replaced with torn lime leaves, felled trees replaced with peeling bark. The acidity fades but the scent remains faceless, anonymous, as bitter as dandelion stems.
    This is not a sexy scent, it is barely even human. It is air conditioning, grey suits, white shirts, eyes turned downwards, tie clips and briefcases. If you want to really pull it off you must have no natural odour, must not use any other scented products, must not wear a leather jacket or any hair product and by no means whatsoever may you smoke.
    It is only in the eventual dry down that all the sharpened, herbaceous citrus is tempered by a faint powdery note of some description and it finally becomes a little closer-wearing and warmer. If you've lasted this far, congratulations: expect a sudden rapid rise in the ranks of your proletarian office job.
    Why the rating? I almost never wear this scent, and when I do half the time I wind up feeling more like a man in a robot costume than anything else, but it provokes a huge reaction from me every time and I can honestly say I wish I felt more comfortable with it on.

I think of it almost as the perfume world's equivalent of a shot of vodka. There is that eye-squeezing, ice-cold, razor-sharp punch that you soon forget about in the stark giddiness and eventual warmth that follow. Just a single note of honey or jasmine, anything warm and sweet and comforting, would have made this infinitely more human and equally more wearable - but maybe that would be missing the point.

BayKAT's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

When I first tried Bandit one thing came to mind: All-night Diners.

I wasn’t sure where my mind was going with this; did I think it smelled cheap? (it does have a watered down base). Do I associate it with the smoking section? (yes, a little)
    But then it clicked. In college I waitressed at a 24-hour diner, along with a sixty year old woman who came in every evening to work the night shift. I think she wore Bandit.

She was quick witted, loved her cigarette breaks and knew how to take late night customers in stride. My shift overlapped hers for a few hours, which I always looked forward to.
    One night a family came in and told me it was their son’s birthday. This meant they wanted the free, 3-bite birthday cake we handed out. After their meal I went to the freezer to get the cake, and realized we were out.

Panicked, I told my co-worker my problem. Without batting an eye my Bandit wearing partner in crime placed a 12 oz paper cup upside down on a plate, covered it with a creative stream of whip cream, decorated it with cherries and topped it off with a burning candle (which she lit with her own cigarette lighter.) “There’s your cake,” she said.

To me Bandit is the smell of competence.

Jevon75's avatar

Escada Homme by Escada

My father wears this fragrance, I love the smell of this fragrance. It's a very classic and mature scent. A great scent to wear with a nice suit and tie; a excellent fragrance!

jlouismi's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I do like this, the sweetness isn't (for me) too overly sweet, but enough to get you noticed. However you might like myself get bored if used all the time. Not for everyday use

beauregard's avatar

Folavril by Annick Goutal

I have always loved Folavril. To me it smells of a wet rainy early-April day on the Champs in Paris. A grey, rainy day with the buds just starting to burst on the trees.Fol promises the blooming of the scents to come. It is the true arrival of spring.Wet with the promise of fragrance to come. A truly unique scent.

ExtremeK's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My current holy grail perfume is Chergui, which I fell for immediately and irretrievably. I was anticipating that my reaction to Fumerie Turque would be similar, based on its notes and reviews. But my first try with Fumerie Turque was NOT a success, and I nearly scrubbed it. Its opening was very pungent, and I didn't get any of the honey and smoke I was promised. I tried again 5 days later and had a different experience. The pungence was gone, replaced by a slight sharpness, followed by swirling smoke, and, finally, honey. I waited 3 more days, tried it again, and, finally, I GOT what everyone has been raving about.

On me, the opening of Fumerie Turque remains piquant but in a subdued Lutensian fashion -- warmly spicy but not overly sweet at this point (unlike Chergui or Arabie). This is where I get the currants, the candied rose, and the patchouli. The smoke is lightly swirling around the spices at this point.

After about 30 minutes, the currants and candied rose retreat, and the patchouli and smoke intertwine and begin their dance, with the smoke clearly leading. It's a dry, controlled dance at this point, with just a hint of honey in the background. Then the jasmine briefly cuts in for the patchouli, before the smoke and honey begin a long, incredibly sexy tango. The heart of Fumerie Turque is even better than Chergui and, for me, that's saying something.

The end of Fumerie Turque is softer and more restrained than I would like (this is where Chergui wins out for me), but it's still very nice. I don't get the amber or leather than some other reviewers do, just really warm honey and vanilla.

Fumerie Turque stays close to the skin all the way through its development. I tested this in the heat of a Great Plains summer (read: hot, hot, hot, and HUMID), and the sweetness was not overbearing, but it stayed center stage longer than I suspect it will in cooler weather. This review is also based on Fumerie Turque dabbed rather than sprayed.

ExtremeK's avatar

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Dark cocoa -- check. Camphor -- check. Dry patchouli -- check. I enjoy the opening and heart of Borneo 1834 even though, unlike most Lutens scents, I don't get any sweetness or syrupy spices. Just dry chocolate, patchouli, and that very interesting camphor that makes the back of your throat cold when you sniff.

So, my problem with Borneo 1834 is not the opening but the dry-down. The combination of the dry patchouli plus the labdanum doesn't create the dry, textured incense I typically love. All I get is dust. Dry silk dresses in a trunk that haven't been moth-eaten (thanks, camphor) but have become really, REALLY dusty over the years. Where the camphor makes the back of my throat cold, the patchouli + labdanum just unpleasantly tickles the back of my throat and makes me want to sneeze.

I also agree with the other reviewer who noticed that the sillage on this one smells different from its up-close scent. I get the dust up close. I get just great, dry patchouli from the sillage.

Because I can't slavishly sniff my wrist and get all up-close and personal the way I love to do with other Lutens scents, this one gets a neutral. Personally, I prefer ELdO's Nombril Immense. No dust.

California Chris's avatar

Forever Elizabeth by Elizabeth Taylor

This may not be a fair review, because what happened was, I saw a box of little bottles of Elizabeth Taylor brand scents as a collection, on sale in a store that was going out of business, so who knows how old they were?

Anyway, "Passion" and the others smelled cheap and biting....but "Forever Elizabeth" was the only one that smelled somehow rounder, and more mellow. I thought it was pretty. So I kept this one (sometimes needing a feminine scent, when dressed up in drag) and gave the others to my mom.

Sorry, Mummy!

LiveJazz's avatar

J'Adore by Christian Dior

So, I am the second person in a row to think J'Adore smells like shampoo. And no, I didn't read Off-Scenter's review before I smelled it. It doesn't smell bad. I guess I just don't see the point. I expect much more from Dior.

colormechris's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

I almost didn't try this one, so disappointed as I was by the entire lackluster line-up of boring, what I consider sub-par fragrances (for Chanel) in the Allure family. But with Allure Homme Edition Blanche they finally got it right. By adding a fresh lemony top note and a creamy vanilla/leather drydown, Polge and co. have brought Allure back to the ethereal realm of scent that would make Madame C. proud. They should really get rid of the others and make edition Blanche the official Allure scent for men. Maybe that way they could add an excellent permanent edition to the house and concentrate on creating worthy new and original scents for men. They really need to get back to quality, not quantity. Fortunately, Edition Blanche can proudly take it's place on the shelf somewhere between Pour Monsieur and Egoiste.

Bigsly's avatar

Black by Kenneth Cole

Unlike some others, I dislike the top notes (too "synthetic" and/or confused) and find that it has great longevity, especially if you get a little on your shirt (I spray while I have a shirt on but not yet buttoned up). Also, this is not a fragrance you want to smell close up. It needs to "breathe" in order to avoid it smelling too synthetic. The drydown I get is mostly a dry incense with an herbal quality (similar to lavender, if it's not lavender), and some of the citrus continuing from the top notes. It's also a little musky. I spray once, just above the navel, to keep it from being irritating. Is it "exciting?" I guess not, but if this is what you're looking for, I'd call it a bargain at current prices, because there's nothing really "wrong" with it, so long as you take the right precautions if you are sensitive, as I am, with some of the notes or accords here.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I love the magic of Annick Menardo. This is a glorious scent, an addictive smudged blend of praline, velvet violet and aniseed. It shouldn't work, but it does beautifully. I normally wear the women's version, I like the Rapunzel-in-the-tower weirdness it has. But I go through bottles of this. The Yohji scent is mentioned a lot with this, but I prefer LL, creamier and I feel like Robin Hood dashing through the forest when i wear it........bow drawn, trailing crushed green and smashed sweetness as I go. Michael Praed as Robin….. not Mr Crowe........

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I am big fan of the Malle scented publications, each of them exploring hidden facets of the perfumer’s mind. This glittering cold composition is so haunting. I had reservations when I first cane across it in Paris, but it reached out a gloved grey hand and touched something in me. I remember as a child at boarding school in Scotland, walking alone on a deserted autumnal beach feeling very homesick and wondering if I would ever feel at home in such a alien country after years in Africa and the Middle East. I came across an abandoned beach hut, crouched in the dusk. I went in and the smell of sand, faded woods and my gloom seemed to oddly comfort me. This memory always floods back every single time I put this scent on. Distilled melancholy. I imagine I would like to be buried in this. Maybe it’s the whiteness.

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

This was given to me by a friend who just hated it and went to some lengths to describing his loathing. Then he said how much I would like it……. Actually I do. Not really big on other Parfums d’Empire scents, but this makes me want to build a time machine, set the dials, go back and find me a debauched fading Russian aristo, blue-eyed and bitter and play good old fashioned some leather games. Always remember that boots were indeed made for walking…..sometimes on each other…….Sniffing it off my wrist in my candlelit room I could throw vodka around fur-scattered rooms, drink champagne to the sound of gunfire and boots marching on stone. Ah, amid the glamour of conquest and burning love, what else could you possibly want to wear?

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Like raspberries shredded through aircraft turbines and thrown onto the tarmac at Cannes airport, reeking of jammy shimmering fuel. A glaring hot hormonal rush. Imagine yourself crushed onto a heaving club dancefloor, caught in crashing beats wondering if perhaps age is indeed a factor and then deciding you smell bloody great, so who cares. This is one of those scents that poured onto fired up sexskin will howl gaudily into the night. Just don’t look too closely. Made a bit like All Saints clobber, great to look at, but up close, not as well put together as it could be.

Goldaline's avatar

A Scent by Issey Miyake

After the distinctiveness and originality of L'Eau, 'A Scent' is a huge, huge disappointment. Although its top note is very good - a lively green/citrus which is reminiscent of Christelle - it soon fades to a cloying and (for me, at least) headache-inducing galbanum /cedar base note which reminds me of nothing in particular. This is a fragrance which lacks character and in any event has no lasting power. It fades to nothing in no time at all.

The brand new 'eau de parfum florale' version (same bottle; different coloured logo) is a little better but not much. Like the original, it has a good top note - spicy and floral and modern - but, also like the original, it dries down very quickly to a weak, nondescript and short-lived base note that can only be described as 'pleasant, but nothing special'.

These are not bad fragrances, just nothing to write home about.

soirdelune's avatar

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

Acquired very cheaply as (I believe) it is being discontinued ... A serendipitous purchase: full, sensual, elegant, and slightly dirty. When worn in winter the vanilla hangs heavier than I would care for, thought it generates many compliments from others. In summer, this smells fabulously leathery, which I love. The cumin smells raunchy. I enjoy this note very much.

My Significant Other 'complains' that this smells 'very Nineties' -- though why this should be considered problematic, I cannot fathom.