Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

seanathair's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought a bottle of this blind after being intrigued by the intense opinions, positive and negative, that it evokes. Having been warned of its power out of the bottle I confined myself to one spritz and was promptly appalled by the unrelenting sweetness of the incense. I wound up washing it off and downing Tylenols for the headache it caused.

Since I had already bought the bottle, I decided to give it another shot the next day just to make sure it really was as noxious as I had initially thought. Somehow it had completely changed. It is now over a week later and I have worn nothing else the entire time. The dry down and legendary longevity are worth being radioactive for the first hour. How is it that I have never come across this before now?

FrouFrou's avatar

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

Very sharp topnotes, I first though (for a second) I like it. But then it became very quickly something unpleasant, with a strong alcoholic smell, the dregs of wine left at the bottom to ferment in an old bottle. Yuk! It remains during the drydown.
    Not for me.

kodafume's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

My favorite creed scent so far. I'm reminded a little of Dunhill for men in the tobacco notes.

I don't personally smell any leather in this scent. My impression of it is initially subtle spicyness giving way to a sweet but not cloying tabacco and powdered amber drydown that feels like a million dollars.

This scent exhudes class and smells expensive. Even after a hot Texas afternoon it can't be sweat off and masks sweat odors very well. A true gentlemans scent.

jaironhoward's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

I actually just bought this yesterday. I was in one store where I was able to smell it and I instantly liked it, but it cost about $50.00 for the 3.4oz. But I knew of a store next door with the same exact frag for $20.00 same size.... Needless to say I got a great deal on Gucci Envy for men!!!

ExtremeK's avatar

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

I love jasmine (A La Nuit, Sarrasins). I love tobacco notes (Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Pipe Tobacco Accord). I love jasmine and tobacco together. (Just try layering a dab of A La Nuit on top of Fumerie Turque -- to die for.) In fact, individually, each of the notes for Jasmin et Cigarette is included among my favorites.

Together, though ... ugh. I get about 1 minute of a very nice jasmine, and then ... nothing but new vinyl shower curtain. Maybe there's something synthetic about the jasmine or the cedar. I would point to orange blossom as the culprit (every now and then I have a bad chemistry day with SL Fleurs d'Oranger and also get the new vinyl shower curtain effect), but there's no orange blossom listed among the notes.

I'm stumped. I want to like it. Can't like it. Don't want to smell like vinyl.

GoldStarMom's avatar

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (original) by Bourjois

As a small child this was my very favorite scent--my mom used to wear it, and I loved it so much she bought me a child-sized gift set of it, with a tiny bottle that looked like that beautiful, cobalt blue one she had on her dressing table--I can still remember this fragrance vividly, and it's been over 50 years since I last had that opportunity--I wish the new company would take it back to it's original formula, since I'd buy some in a heart beat!--also, I think they should bring back the original style of it's infamous bottle, as well!

GoldStarMom's avatar

Tigress by Fragrances of France

Ah--this was my late Mom's all-time fav way back in the '50's and '60's--this one and Evening In Paris--I can still remember how the Tigress smelled--way too musky, way too strong--way too overbearing, and dark--definitely for wearing to a night club--but, Mom loved it--and, that kitchy, faux Tiger-skin covered cap--how could it miss?! We always gave her Heaven Sent, instead, hoping to give her a hint--now, the original of that one I just adore!

LostArgonaut's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I wouldn't be fair to call Terre d'Hermes merely a scent - it's abstract experience that gives me a glimpse of a Roman ruin and its dusty stones being baked in the sun.

Terre d'Hermes defies any definition for a fragrance - the citrus opening is fresh, yet complimented by its smoky accent. It's uniquely masculine, yet I can imagine it as a lady's statement piece. Being an "outdoorsy" type fragrance, Terre d'Hermes manages to be strangely elegant.

The dustiness (of the mineral accords) of Terre d'Hermes lingers throughout the whole story, which makes it linear, as some people find, and I personally am not a big fond of. Still, TdH is an exceptional fragrance that doesn't even come close to other mainstream scents out there. Now I can't wait to get my hands on the Pure Parfum edition!

09 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

tott's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Vintage Cuir de Russie is a hardcore, animalic leather. Despite the fact that the tarry leather is clearly dominant, its rough edges are smoothed out by rich florals and things like sandalwood, musk, civet and castoreum. The leather here is thick, sturdy, soft and of the highest quality.

Current Cuir de Russie is still gloriously animalic, but in a different way. The leather has been toned down and the florals amped up. Today's Cuir de Russie is like a fine leather saddle soaked with sweat rather than a luxurious leather jacket or car interior. There's also a natural, outdoorsy feel to it; something vaguely stable-like with a sense of damp earth and dormant vegetation similar to what you can feel in the air during early spring or autumn.

But despite what might sound like a murky skankfest, CdR manages to project an elegant and luxurious aura that is floral, leathery, salty, animalic, earthy and sexy.

09 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Controversial scent, i'm anytime puzzled and uncertain in my effort to express a personal consideration about it and in the strange affair of clearing up my taste. Powerhouse scent, too dated, obnoxious, still modern fragrance o what else? I really don't know, what i like about this scent is the undeniable sensation of nasty, dirty, sexy, musky and postindustrial freshness that emerges when you wear it in a cool late spring afternoon before to pick up your girlfriend for going out together in the downtown or to a club (in black leather clothed and, yes, why not, may be full of grease on your hairs). The opening of DN is very citrusy, lavender sparkling and aromatic, the lavender of the top notes plays a starring role throughout the following development of the fragrance with its splashing, watery projection. The balsamic elements of the heart and the base, i mean mainly juniper, pine and oakmoss, side by side with lavender and the further herbs, provides this scent with that nasty frozen dimension which dominates the Drakkar Noir's soul. The patchouli of the base pushes up the masculine trait which, even due to several balsamic elements, starts soaring higher and higher with its sparkling/herbal/spicy projection. Ended off the evolution i clearly smell in the aromatic air hints of musky soapiness, faint sandalwood and a gentle note of jasmine. I would like there had been added an hint of sandalwood ( or an hint more of sandalwood) to balance the excess of balsamic, soapy/detergent and aromatic "watery/barbershop" elements turning the scent out may be somewhat dated, too much watery and anchored to an old concept of green/sporty/aqueous/soapy masculinity. This is my complaint.

09 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 May, 2014)

egoscentrick's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Opens with a plastic-y orange candy note that sits unintegrated on top of the rest of the composition. The orange note never really seems to mesh with the skin. It also doesn't begin to integrate with the heart and base until well after an hour. The drydown is very pleasant and earthy, dusty and woody, and natural. On top of it, though, the contrast of the artificiality of the orange note never quite goes away. The orange almost "feels" sticky on my skin, and occasionally still wafts up, unintegrated, from the earthy base in a cloying way that I just want to stop. Unfortunately, I find this contrast to be unrefined. Too bad, too, because the base is really very nice, earthy and original.

Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat by Guerlain

This opens with a very bright, candied lemon that I find to be pleasant and realistic. It dries down to white floral accord that is delicate and stays close to the skin. Short-lived, but still a pleasant scent.

Virgilio by Diptyque

Complex herbal and green, with a strong basil presence. And there is a certain elegance here and it vaguely reminds me of Givenchy Gentleman. I enjoy it very much, but wouldn’t see myself wearing enough to justify owning a bottle.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

The one fragrance in the AdP Colonia trilogy that I dislike. My dislike is due to the citrus presentation: to me it is stuffy. ADPs Colonia and Colonia Assoluta are bright fragrances with inviting citrus accords. That is missing here.

beacheemom's avatar

Ralph Hot by Ralph Lauren

I honestly am not proud to say I like Ralph Lauren Hot, only because I feel too old to like it the way I do. This is an odd one to me- can't quite place my finger on it. Imagine a german chocolate cake waiting to be eaten by someone drenched in suntan oil with the aroma of fresh tropical flowers floating in the air. I know it's weird to describe it like that, but you get my point. all the while though, all I smell is deliciousness. Yum. Wished it lasted longer.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Light inoffensive floral (synthetic) muskyness. Dries down to a slightly feminine base. Way overpriced, but if you got the budget and want to complete your L'Artisan collection: why not.

fragranceluvr's avatar

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

I have found a new favorite cologne! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS FRAGRANCE! Calvin Klein Intense Euphoria Men is a very wearable fragrance for any occasion. It is a casual-elegant cologne that goes with everything. It opens with a light floral-fruity somewhat cooling aroma yet not feminine at all. The heart appears as a gourmand, spicy-herbal facet then morphs into a spicy, warm, woodsy blend that settles well to the end. You can wear this one into the office, on a date, on the weekends, with a Polo shirt, a t-shirt, a button-down shirt or a suit. It has a casual-elegance, a quiet masculinity that saunters rather than swaggers; it is just plain sexy. I highly recommend this cologne; I do have to mention, I feel this scent is more for the older consumer, 35 and up. A must buy Gentlemen!

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

Trussardi Uomo! One powerhouse i knew for years only by its hairy-chested, metal-chewing reputation, till i bought it recently. I must say that it seems the young thug many have talked about miraculously found stability and got an education, culminating in a Doctor of Letters, and now likes wearing (at least) 180-grade wool suits. This reissued TU is an ear-studded and tattooed gentleman of a powerhouse (or my nose has become jaded).

TU starts off with a complex green/smokey/aromatic accord, which at first wearing i thought would pulverise me, but never did. Rather it almost immediately(!) calmed down into an animalic leather/tobacco accord which i could enjoy sniffing forever and a day. The whole complex of accords then settles into a (relatively) soft mode which reminds me of several scents all at once: like Van Cleef and Arpels pour Homme, Versace l'Homme, Aramis, and a bit of Iquitos all blended nicely together. Its mellowing-down is similar to that of Bijan for Men after its screaming-Banshee intro.

Trussardi Uomo is a powerhouse scent, no doubt. Masculine to the hilt, but then not more butch than Lancome's Magie Noir (go figure!) It may have been a thug of a scent in its initial incarnation, but what i have experienced recently makes it, to me, a beautiful man's-man frag with loads of gravitas. Longevity is of respectable proportions. Sillage? I smell it on myself almost all day, so it must be projecting "quite a bit". Not exactly a room-clearer, but people will sit up and notice.

No complaints whatsoever about this magnificent gem.

msleslie's avatar

Douceur de Vanille by Les Néréides

The way I perceive any scent is highly suggestible, depending on what I have read about it. The words shape my expectations and experience. This vanilla is very nice and more complex than many of the other straight vanilla scents I have tried.

The Perfumed Court describes this one as : "An incredibly smooth vanilla fragrance (made with bourbon vanilla) with additional notes of almond, cocoa, white rose, and star anise seed." I don't actually pick up any of those other elements except perhaps for cocoa, but I do know I enjoy wearing this one. It is a comfort scent for me, good for being at home.

There is nothing sophisticated about this vanilla, though - for sophistication I go to Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille. But if you like vanilla you would probably like Douceur de Vanille.

Hob Dobson's avatar

Brisingamen by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

A glittering mantle of rich golden notes: five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation.

A slightly soapy, warm amber that's easily wearable for a guy ( it even reminds me a bit of Old Spice ) but I'll bet it would smell sexy on a woman too. An easy thumbs-up.

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Eh.

I don't see what all the hoopla is about this scent. I absolutely love sandalwood, but this is just so-so. It just smells like high-quality sawdust to me, with some kind of subtle fruit note blended in the background. I love wood smells, and I like the smell of sawdust, so this does smell pretty good to me. But that's all. It's just a pretty good scent. It smells so dry I feel like I'll catch fire if I stand too close to a heat source.

I believe the sample I have is of the current formulation, so maybe everyone else is raving about the original version. It's an okay scent, but I would never pay real money for this.

And yes, people, I am talking about the holy Santal Noble.

MY RATING: 6/10

10th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2010)

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I don't understand what all the fuss is about this scent being daring, outrageous, etc., etc.. Sure it sucks, but it doesn't smell like sex or any of the byproducts of sex. Secretions Magnifique is a cheap smelling, sickeningly sweet and synthetic smelling floral mess, and that's about it. It literally smells like some 1970s shampoo marketed for women (Breck?) mixed with whatever chemical it is that gives aquatic fragrances their "marine" smell (Calone?). And that's about it. It's poorly constructed - it just smells like a bunch of individual synthetic notes sitting next to one another, with no real blending into a single accord - and just doesn't smell good at all. This wouldn't even be enjoyable as an air freshener.

Secretions Magnifique isn't a groundbreaking scent by any means, to my nose. It's just a shitty fragrance, that's all.

MY RATING: 3/10

Cadillac by Cadillac

This superb spicy oriental fragrance can be described in a nutshell as a sort of "Opium Pour Homme Light", but don't take that as a criticism. This is actually a better fragrance than Opium PH. It has similar sharp woody and spicy notes as Opium, but they are toned down a bit and smoothed out by a subtle powderiness, as well as a nicely balanced accord of tarragon and anise.

The whole scent is just beautifully balanced, with no single note sticking out, and the result is a fragrance that is warm and extremely comfortable to wear. I also love the fact that the focus of this oriental fragrance is spiciness rather than sweetness. Sillage is moderate and longevity is very good, about 8 hours.

My only criticism is that it's not very unique (it also smells similiar to Arpege Pour Homme), but that doesn't ruin my enjoyment of Cadillac one bit. This is really excellent.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

tnecniva's avatar

Corduroy by Zirh

A lot has been said about the actual smell of this already so I'm not going to repeat that.
    Coming at a ridiculously cheap price, this is a winner any day (and an instant one at that). But price aside, this is still a good fragrance. It might not be the best frag out there, but it is better than many.
    Some have complained about the longevity of this amazing stuff but really with me, it lasts all day (I apply 7-8 spritzes though).
    It has suddenly become my choice frag as I always find myself going for it. I bought it blind based on the reviews here and I thought it would be good to spread the news of this somewhat underrated frag. Fantastic stuff. I love it.

fitch256's avatar

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Starts out with lots of lime right off the bat, then dries down nicely and the tequila scent comes out. Not a whole lot else to speak of note-wise, the others seem to be very faint. I'm not getting much vanilla or crushed greens out of this, and very little musk. What exactly is volcanic musk anyways? Interesting addition here if it's actually more than just a fancy adjective. Very good for the spring and summer, very beachy. This will take you to Cancun.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Very clean scent, Last a decent amount of time, around 6 hours on me, ive sometimes thought its warn off but then have someone say i smell nice. a very likeable smell.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Decent clean scent, quite likeable but nothing special, an almost neutral kind of smell, quite fruity.

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

This is ok and ive had a few people say they like it. its nothing special but very in your face.

Dunhill by Dunhill

I really like this one, had a few compliments about it, there is something it reminds me and a few others of but i still havnt been able to work it out. lasts an ok amount of time.

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

Another all time fave, very strong and pleasent smell, almost fruity, get alot of compliments, i find it very sexy and lasts a decent amout of time.