Fragrance Reviews from July 2010

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

My all time best scent. so sexy and addictive, very macho. i get so many compliments from people about this. and despite what ive heard i find it lasts a good time on my skin.

Trevjim's avatar

Joop! Homme Electric Heat by Joop!

Similar opening to the original, but a great dry down to a sutble leathery smell. really friendly and good projectivity

CK In 2 U Him HEAT by Calvin Klein

I do not understand this, the orignal is one of my fave smells, it was strong, and fruity. this one has a slight aquatic smell and something i can only relate to a burning?. its not a strong smell and i can hardly tell i have it on after 30mins of applying.

MCTAKE5's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Nice citrus opening then mellows to what I’ll call a seductive scent. I used Eternity exclusively back in the 90’s but spent the last 10 years with other newer, highly rated colognes. On a whim, I purchased a bottle and WOW!! I almost forgot just how incredible this stuff is. It’s back as my number one cologne! This cologne is simply magic. In the past 2 days I’ve received several complements, most from the ladies. Longevity is excellent. Ladies love it! Classic!

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

I really like JV. It's very versatile while still remaining classy. I feel equally at home putting it on when going to the office, to a nice restaurant, or even just out to the supermarket. It's got a fairly heavy floral top note which is underlaid with the manliest of leather and spices. Decent sillage and longevity. In short, if I could only wear one fragrance ever again, JV would be it.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I don't smell any of the notes listed in the pyramid in Armani Code - I just smell vanilla and anise, as another reviewer said. It strikes me as trying to be all things to all people. Too loud for a day-time fragrance, too one-note for a night-time fragrance, too floral for a summer fragrance, too laid-back for a winter fragrance. It's like a guy wearing an expensive polo with the collar turned up - he's just trying too hard to be like everyone else and yet different. If you were only going to buy one fragrance in your life, Code might even work OK, but as it is, whenever I think about putting it on, there's another fragrance that just seems to work better. I haven't even made it through a small sample decant.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I love Burberry London. It makes me think of James Bond. It just screams romance and sexiness. The longevity isn't all that great but frankly that works pretty well since I don't think I've ever put this on before 7 PM. It is a night-time fragrance only.

It definitely strikes me as the most complex fragrance with the least amount of change while you're wearing it. It manages to hang on to the same spicy/floral/leather+tobacco scents in the same proportion for hours without ever devolving into some boring one-note drydown.

I also like spraying this on my pillows before going to bed.

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

Legend is OK, but not great (and certainly no legend). It's a bit overly metallic, and the melange of other scents they seem to have thrown in here just leave me cold, particularly the bitter orange note. Combined with the metal, it adds this sour note which doesn't come off well, particularly outside on a hot day. It's acrid, almost like body odor. Indoors it's much better, but it still seems to be outclassed by many other fragrances in its price range. I bought a bottle based on a few testings, but what was novel has simply become annoying.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Vincent Price bottled…dark, enigmatic, smoky, craggy, menacing, scary to some… but ultimately camp…perhaps like Salvador Dali himself in which case this scent is an artistic triumph that has successfully captured his persona in a smell. If you soaked some burnt toast in Quorum for week, you might end up with something similar to this. I don’t think the scent is very versatile, but could accept that it might smell quite stylish on the right type of person at the right time, e.g. on someone mature in an expensive leather jacket &/or dark clothes or in a dark formal suit in autumn or winter evenings only. Ugly surrealistic bottle BTW but with a nice frosted dark green-brown colour that I believe matches the “colour” of the smell remarkably well. In summary, one of those that contributes valuably to the rich tapestry of men’s fragrances and that I admire but in the end I doubt I would buy. Whenever I need a dark evening fragrance I would prefer to look to Jacomo de Jacomo or BMen, or to Grey Flannel for something nearly as craggy as SDpH but more upbeat. Nonetheless, it definitely warrants a thumbs up for being so daring & artistic – and good luck to those who can pull it off with the style it deserves.

10th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Superb darkness, black mistery, severe balance. Obscure is the night, sinister that man walking away in the cold Belfast's night. Pour Homme is an obscure, sinister, deep juice, epitome of the top virile luxury and unconventional class. The initial angular burst is herbaceous, citrusy and aromatic, including some notes like lavender, basil, juniper and thyme. In this phase the aroma is for a while metallic, pungent and herbal. The blades roll a few time in the air anyway and the soapiness keeps rising up very soon. The yet softer sophisticated heart of this monumental fragrance is indeed woody-floral with notes of patchouli, vetiver, jasmine, orris and hints of spices. This woody heart following the initial aromatic burst links the aroma with the traditional 70's and 80's masculine powerhouse scents traits. The leathery, soapy, powdery, animalic base is rich of amber, dark olibanum, musk, obscure leather, castoreum and oak moss. This dry down is indeed warmer, soapy/leathery and really mossy. The final development is a discreetly rosey, soapy and velvety suede full of shadows (burnt incense), musks and organic molecules. Pour Homme is an eternal fragrance which will be forever a symbol of austere, moody, restrained, almost gothic elegance (despite its undeniable dry/fresh vibe). I must add, anyway, that this is not a one way concoction, it is not exclusively a formal/assertive one; the nocturnal flowers and the incensey ambery base carry effortlessly it inside the fences of the romantic and melancholy territories and turn this fragrance out as a perfect one for a romantic date and a whisper of love under the moonlight.

10th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2014)

Cittá di Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella

Extremely elegant iris. I read the comparisons to Daim Blond but I see a stronger resemblance to Equistrius. Same Iris/leather composition (a bit of Cuir Plain Fleurs there maybe?) but more woody and considerably less sweet than either Daim Blond or Equistrius. In short if you like those two but find them a bit on the feminine or sweet side for you, try Citta di Kyoto.

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano

This is such a masterpiece that it seems it makes the entire Olivier Durbano stand out. To me it is simply terpentine, pine resin and smoke. I can't say I get the leather that's why to it is a very inorganic, dark, dead, black, gothic, difficult to wear fragrnace. I bought this in the summer so I am looking forward to winter to really appreciate it. The violently realistic smoke accord brings to mind Le Labo Patchouli 24.

Red Vetyver by Montale

This a joy to own and wear. Think of it as the composition of Terre d' Hermes with the citrus toned down and the geranium turned up a notch, plus the balmy sweetness of Vetiver Tonka. On me lasts forever.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Ilaun by Burren Perfumery

Reminds me of Ofresia: softly, freshly, dewily green with a delicate, sweet yet airy, freesia-like floral on top and a somewhat soapy touch to it. Good for summer.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Tommy Girl 10 by Tommy Hilfiger

Smells noxious on me, as does Tommy Girl which I just bought a 30ml of, thinking it was lovely - these ones are not for me, unfortunately; something very astringent about some clean odours seems to give me a headache. I'm sure this woul dsmell gorgeous on someone else, just not on me.

nightcutter's avatar

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

I think this is really nice.

I've had a bottle for about 4 years now. I don't use it that often as I've other I prefer.
    But Dell'Aqua is great for breezy summer evenings - when I where it most - and cool summer days

I'm not sure how to describe it. It makes me think of honey or 'gold' for some reason.

It's a warm variant of Cool Water with (to my nose anyway) rose.

My bottle is a tester and the spiel on the back says:

TOP-
    Crystalline/citrus/marine
    grapefruit
    bergamot
    lemon
    mandarin
    orange blossom
    pineapple
    sea breeze living (heh heh)
    marigold egypt LMR

wood mysore
    cashmere
    wood
    musk

The new Beckham Signature Story Men has a lot in common with this. But A'dell'A is better!

Tony T's avatar

Cadillac by Cadillac

starts out like joop and pretty much the drydown has that same joop appeal albeit not as annoyingly sweet. basically a joop senior!

Goldaline's avatar

Rouge Hermès by Hermès

This is the only Hermes fragrance I like apart from Caleche EDP. I'd love to know who the perfumer is. Its launch is here dated as the year 2000 but I have been wearing this scent since 1986, and my sister-in-law, who introduced me to it, purchased her bottle in 1984. 2000 might be the date of a re-launch. Certainly, the post-2000 bottle is different and the juice seems to be ever so slightly reformulated. The name has also slightly changed, from 'Hermes Rouge' to 'Rouge Hermes'.

Whatever, this fragrance in both its former and current incarnation is simply wonderful. It lacks all manner of sweetness and fruitiness. Instead, it is dry and leathery with a hint of rose and ambergris. It is a fragrance for the officianado, which is probably why it is not sold in main stream department stores (in England, at least), but only in those stores considered to be exclusive (like Harrods, Selfridges, and Liberty of London). I'm looking forward to my next bottle, and I'd like to see an entire range of body products launched. This scent is pure class!!

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Captain Molyneux by Molyneux

The lovely Captain Molyneux!

I recently became reacquainted with this old love of mine after a hiatus of about 20 years. I first used CM in 1982 when it was one of the hottest frags in this part of the world (West Africa) then several more bottles up till 1990.

The reviews here are rather surprising. It seems as if another Captain Molyneux is being described. Captain is an aromatic fougere, not a marine scent in the "aquatic" genre sense, although i guess "captain" connotes a mariner and thus the association. However, if this scent was made to evoke the sea then some brilliant perfumery was effected by the house of Molyneux. Captain starts of with a very aromatic, clovey and spicy lemon accord with strident treble notes. This is one of the frags which evoke a nose-tingling feeling with me, which i quite enjoy. After about 15+ minutes the fragrance calms down a little bit and then, together with coniferous and spicy notes, a certain infamous note which has not been mentioned in previous reviews enters the stage: Civet. Yep, ye good old civet. Captain is actually an animalic frag with a good dose of civet and i guess that is where the "sea", notes observed by other reviewers is derived. I need to disclose here that i live in the tropics where heart- and base-notes are usually (nicely) amplified by our almost year-round high temperatures. The civet, though well balanced by the strong spices, really comes to the fore in the heat.

Another surprise is the consensus that Captain has below-par longevity. I have always enjoyed good (8+) longevity with Captain, but again i only gauge longevity from actual wearings and not back-of-wrist sniffs. It does stay close to the skin most of the time, but its still significantly present. I admit i spray liberally, but not even half as much as naed_nitram's anecdotal captain.

Captain is indeed a beautiful and iconic fragrance. Foetidus, as always, is right in saying that it belongs in a collector's wardrobe. It is here to always stay in mine.

Sportsman5's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

Positives: Great sweet tobacco dry down. Definitely a compliment getter. Good longevity of 8-10 hours. Fairly unique and uncommon scent. Bottle is also interesting and unique.

possible drawbacks: Is edging towards a unisex fragrance. Opening is very floral and may be overpowering for some people. However, this drys down into a great scent after 30-45 minutes.

Overall: a romantic scent that I would highly recommend to anyone who likes sweet smells.

Sportsman5's avatar

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

Positives: Very good longevity for this type of fresh fragrance. I get 8-10 hours consistently. Projection is really good as well. Great for Spring and early fall.

Possible Drawbacks: Can definitely be cloying in really warm weather. It's so strong and synthetic that I usually do either one spray on the chest or a half spray on my neck with two full sprays on my wrists and I'm more than good to go for 8+ hours. Difficult to wear everyday because of the strong fruity sweetness to the top. If you have 5+ fragrances, then chances are you have something similar.

Overall: Fruity and sweet fragrance that is great if you're looking to start a collection.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Bright Visit by Azzaro

Unexpectedly disappointing for an Azzaro, if you can detect it at all with its shamefully weak (not light, but WEAK) presence and pathetic longevity. About as boring a scent and as cynical a rip-off as Baldessarini Del Mar, and utterly inferior to Eaux de Caron Pure as a lightweight summery fragrance. This absurd scent dries down in 10 MINUTES FLAT (no exaggeration) into nothing. The problem is not with my skin type as my wife had the same experience. Lack of nutmeg or resemblance to the original Visit is not a big issue for me; otherwise I agree word for word with ziffy321's review. I honestly don’t understand how any of the previous reviewers could have smelt this for long enough to have given it a thumbs-up. Even its cool modern presentation can’t save it. On the basis of its extreme feebleness alone, I absolutely can’t recommend it and regret wasting my money on it. Thumbs way down (and broken too). P.S. I vindictively found a new use for my nearly full bottle – it now sits sheepishly in the garden shed to be used as a posh substitute for methylated spirits (hee-hee).

UPDATE: Fair's fair. Still not a great scent imo (a bit too fruity in a rancid way), nevertheless I've recently found that its sillage and longevity are significantly improved in cooler weather/seasons/climates to just about acceptable levels.

11th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2011)

LiveJazz's avatar

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Contrary to the normal reactions to this scent, I'm much more impressed with the opening of Eau d'Hermes than the mid and base evolution. It does NOT need time to settle; it needs to keep the spunky opening accords longer!

The opening reminds me of being on a farm after all the animals have been freshly cleaned for display at the county fair. But this is a farm, after all, and animals are going to smell like animals. I really enjoy this. I love cumin, and it's used here with some sort of musk or civet to great effect, along with citrus and lavender. Dirtier than cumin or cardamom could be alone, but not too dirty.

After that, the scent calms down and cleans up more than I would like. The citrus and lavender fade, followed by the wonderful cumin and animal-ness, and we're left with a spare, powdery leather base.

And I cannot escape the association: it smells almost exactly like talcum powder to me. Sweet, leathery talcum powder. I keep trying to smell the potential of the opening in the base, but it just ain't there. It bores me. Perhaps it has been reformulated, because I only get about a half hour of animalic goodness before the powder reigns supreme.

Thumb up for being a groundbreaking eau and for the great opening, thumbs down for the failure of the base. So: neutral.

zztopp's avatar

Cologne Sologne by Nicolaï

Notes: Bergamot, Lemon verbena, Grapefruit, Tunisian neroli, Rosemary, Myrtle, Sandalwood

Cologne Sologne (CS) is another traditional but successful stop on my EDC/Cologne style tour. The Parfums de Nicolai site promotes CS as the most expensive fragrance in the PdN line. No doubt that is probably mostly due to the Tunisian neroli in the formula and not the bottle (looking at you here, Guerlain ...).

CS opens with a bright citrus melange of lemon verbena and bergamot, before a plush, light yet ever present cloud of tangy, floral neroli comes forth. Some very light herbs in the form of sweet-herbal rosemary and a very tiny drop of camphorous/wintergreenish myrtle lend a teeny bit of contrast to the citrus-neroli accord. A couple of hours later a soft, slightly sweet sandalwood base materializes and cushions this pleasant splash-on experience.

CS smells good, does nothing out of the ordinary, showcases a good neroli note, and is reasonably priced. I feel that its citrus top heavy notes lack the fireworks of something like Neroli Sauvage, and there are other fragrances to look at if you want a more forceful neroli/orange blossom accord. In structure I find it similar to Nina Ricci's Signoricci (new formulation) due to the lemon top although that fragrance is louder and woodier (due to copious amounts of petitgrain and woods). Nevertheless Cologne Sologne is a solid and safe offering if you want a cologne fragrance from the one Guerlain family member still active in the business..

Rating: 8.0/10.0

's avatar

Quizás, Quizás, Quizás by Loewe

A very heavy, cloying fruity-floral ... - if you wanna be woken up when it's over, you'll have to sleep for 48 hs minimum... Extremely strong chemical drydown, some kind of woody-ambery aroma-chemical (smelled this before in Red Door Velvet by Arden). Overpowering and unpleasant - why do bad perfumes always last so long?

yasarzongur's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

It is a long lasting fresh scent; a fruity version of classic Cool Water. It is Fruity but manly, too. All the phases of the scent are sensual. Nothing disturbing from top to base .It lingers almost 24 hrs on clothes and more than 6-7 hrs on the skin.The exact notes are as follows.

Top notes of grapefruit, watermelon, verbena leaf & basil
    Middle notes of black currant, violet & lavender
    Base notes of cedar, patchouli & white musk

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Façonnable Stripe by Façonnable

Faconnable Stripe is a solid fragrance for anyone looking for a fresh, long-lasting, and versatile fragrance. It begins with a citrus/minty vibe that is later joined by the spices of the middle which create a light, sweet smelling aroma. The fresh sweetness definitely brings to mind the smell of coconuts by the beach, and in this way the fragrance can appear to smell somewhat aquatic. Lastly, the scent finishes with a light amber note, complemented by cedar and musk.

The scent is never loud, but its always there and perceptible with decent sillage. However, the smell itself is clear and not heavy. It lasts about 8hrs making it just right for the office, but its versatile enough to be worn as a fresh alternative to the spicy, woody orientals commonly worn during the evening. For the price, the ingredients used are high quality making this a great choice for someone looking for an economical purchase.

mrclmind's avatar

Chamade pour Homme by Guerlain

I too have done a side by side comparison of Chamade pour Homme and Coriolan. They do belong to the same family, and have some things in common, but the difference between them is significant as far as I'm concerned. I find CPH to be much more refined and elegant than Coriolan. Whereas Coriolan is a bitter spicy chypre, CPH is a much more green floral chypre.

Coriolan opens with smack in the face of lemon leaves and petigrain on top of a plethora of spices beneath a base of austere leather and patchouli (which notes are evident from the opening).

CPH, on the other hand opens with a very elegant black pepper and bergamot. The heart is green floral: A perfect blend of hyacinth and violet notes with a hint of nutmeg and green aldehydes. The leather in the base of CPH has none of the rawness of Coriolan and it sits on a bed of sandal and vetiver rather than the patchouli of Coriolan.

Are there some similarities between the two fragrances? You bet. How similar are they? Well, unlike many of my friends, I actually happen to like Coriolan, but it has none of the refinement or elegance of Chamade Pour Homme. CPH is a green floral chypre, whereas Coriolan is a bitter, spicy leather chypre. Is CPH worth a trip to Paris? I think so. In fact I just got back home with a bottle!

greengrl's avatar

Émeraude by Coty

This was on my test list after so many people spoke highly of it. I picked it up on my next visit to the drug store and couldn't wait to try it. Unfortunately I hated the way it smelled on me and washed it off after 30 minutes. It smelled very similar to the original V05 hairdressing. I decided to give it another try just recently and came to the same conclusion. I will give others the benefit of the doubt and assume that what I picked up was a re-formulated version and that the original smells much better.

greengrl's avatar

Chantilly by Dana

I was excited to try this after I read the reviews and am sad to say that I wasn't thrilled with it. It had a soft, soapy, powdery smell. This would make a great introduction to oriental fragrances for someone who favors florals.