Fragrance Reviews from August 2010

Redleg's avatar

Story by Paul Smith

Initial impression was a "clean" dryer sheet smell. Quickly became rather floral. Never really got any sense of depth beyond that. Light and fresh to the point where it could be a unisex scent.

Redleg's avatar

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

The pepper scent comes out strong at the beginning. After ten or fifteen minutes it settled down to an incense smell; that's the best way I can describe it, it smelled like walking into a cathedral. Very spicy and masculine. Toss up between neutral and positive... not really excited about it, though, so neutral it is.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Vol de Nuit Évasion by Guerlain

Latest news: Because of Attrape Coeur being withdrawn by Guerlain, Vol de Nuit Evasion has also been taken off the shelves. (It was indeed the edt version of AC and nothing to do with VdN.)

TaoLady's avatar

John Varvatos Woman by John Varvatos

....like Citrene said....

Not my signature but way up there in my fave fruity-florals. And I also love the original Johnny Vee for guys. Whole other story.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Citrus - synthetic woody with a slight sweet vanillic aftertaste in the white musk bottom. Smells pleasant, like a mid-level manager.

soirdelune's avatar

Dolly Girl Lil' Starlett by Anna Sui

Fruit, fruit, fruit and more fruit. Not recommended for the over-tens. Yurk.

MeryMer's avatar

Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

This is an interesting one! It has a very definite curry and vinegar note right up front. The vinegar subsides almost immediately, but the curry note remains throughout. It is a very spicy, warm scent. In fact, it smells much like an Indian restaurant would smell; fragrant, very slightly sweet, and earthy.

I usually like gourmands and since I over-sweeten most perfumes, I had high hopes for this one. Unfortunately, the sweetness and warmth came off as pure maple bacon on me. Seriously, I smelled like I had just fried up a big skillet of maple bacon! Not unpleasant, just too weird for me. After about four hours, the subtle, sweet floral laced with green spice began to emerge and it is quite lovely. However, I can't justify smelling like maple bacon for four hours to get a very light, close floral.

I can see how this perfume would be brilliant on someone. However, I would probably just get myself accosted by very hungry carnivores. However, it is certainly beautifully created and interesting enough to be a fun try.

JimHeckel's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Nice, sweet, and really enjoyable. The scent reminds me of a candy / chocolate / coffee dessert covered with whipped cream. I wont wear this to a formal event, but its good for relaxing in a casual environment. Good scent for the price, and one I recommend to those who want to smell just plain great.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

There is a restaurant in New Orleans called Gallatoire's where "old money" goes to dine on Sundays. Dining is really more of a sport there since people usually come for lunch and stay until dinner. Families actually pass their regular server at Gallatoire's to the next of kin in their wills -- it's that kind of place. Meals are not rushed because everyone understands that the best dishes take time especially since New Orleaner's take their food seriously and no one ever seems to be in a hurry. It would be a sin to try to rush a decadent 8 course meal.
    The first time I smelled L'INSTANT I immediately knew it would be the fragrance I would wear to Gallatoire's. It's elegant and warm and it progresses with time, much like a fine 8 course meal, but it definitely has the "old money" Guerlain feel -- it's not pretentious, but it is confident and a bit risky. I feel absolutely voluptious in it. A definite thumbs up for me.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Hidden Fantasy by Britney Spears

The opening smells a bit like Jewel by Alfred Sung creamy floral with a hint of fruit ?then as it sinks in a zingy spice tickles my nose -must be the clove -vanilla comes out to blend with the clove and floral.
    Clean,sweet,gentle floriental-nice and definitely wearable ,not a holy grail for me but it was only $16 at Marshalls .
    I tried Midnight Fantasy on too it is very berry/pear/vanilla/musk on me and doesn't seem very similar to Hidden Fantasy at least on me.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

This scent is a homage to white lily...a stunning and addictive scent heavily infused in a never ending white lily note trail...an absolute masterpiece...you can also sense green notes all around... In my opinion, a great creation by Bond no 9. Very unisex and uplifting with good sillage and great longevity. Would recommend for the 30 plus age group.

01st August, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2010)

BayKAT's avatar

Private Collection - Corps et Âmes by Parfumerie Generale

I was attracted to this because the perfumed court described it as a 'modern chypre", which is my favorite category.

Unfortunatlely this falls into the men's category, and calling it unisex is misleading.

To me this is opens dusty and dry. The Bourgon geranium perhaps? Not sure. It reminds me of how someone would smell after walking through a rank and poorly aerated bar (back in the days when people could smoke in these establishments) This also has the high ringing 'cologne' note, which makes it hard for me to enjoy.

I wore this overnight, and in the morning I detected a more pleasant leathery-floral aura. This phase was the most enjoyable, and the only phase I would like to smell on my significant other.

This fragrance will come down to chemistry, and I htink those who could pull it off are those that tend to 'sharpen or elevate' fragrances, not those who's chemistry sinks it or amplifies the basenotes.

jgrigar's avatar

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

Very nice. Unique. VDH is soft yet fresh and light, woody and green as if almost to detect casablanca lillies and perhaps a bit of corriander and green pepper. I can definitely see this as a fragrance worn by both men and women alike. Do they make this for a home scent? Wafting from my dinner companion this evening in the the height of summer makes me really want to add this to my collection too.

01st August, 2010

le mouchoir de monsieur's avatar

France France

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

You simply must take your brown leather cowboy hat off to Kiehl's for having the raw nerve, independent spirit, and plain audacity to re-launch something so dated as this in such a grandiose way: The bottle is superbly done, the atomizer is perfection, releasing the requisite micro-mini molecular dusting that's in order for a composition of this character, as, character, it has: One is blinded by the light as soon as it goes on--and fairly stoned on the vibe all day, and the best part is still hours and hours away: The mellow night time afterglow that lingers on and on is about as sexy as any perfume could ever hope to be, and there it is: The secret. To kill 'em in the evening, spray it on in the morning. The stale dry down is the main event, for a more mesmerizing end point you will never encounter. Very truly, an oil of love--and, as is the case with love, one wants, quite literally, to lick it up. Conceptually, it's hippie oil--in reality--it's a masterpiece of balance: Neither masculine, nor feminine, nor ambiguous, it just smells good: Smells even better without a shower. Two days unbathed, still works; a beautiful thing. You have just had a marathon session of love making, 4-5-6 hours--you're covered in your lover's DNA, and BAM: one spritz is all you need and randoms will be stopping you on your way home asking what you're wearing. You're on a road trip--you're just perversely toying with the idea of perhaps not showering for a week: it's your friend. A true "skin perfume" that makes the most of your own glandular excretions. Definitely not for the delicate wan flowers out there who "gross out" at the idea of planting soft, wet kisses on the top someone's bare foot. Funky nose snubbing warriors who walk on the wild side--drink--smoke--love a good make out session in a dark alley--eager divers into dirty, spotty sheets--wise crackin' hooligans who can kiss their way into anyone's heart, male or female: here's your scent. Don't expect love at first whiff--but be patient--this is the kind of thing that makes the finest, most revered masterpieces of perfumery seem stuffy by comparison. KOM, ironically, is very French in its total disregard for conformity: It wants to confuse people, and does: Definitely meriting of the word "Original." All the others mentioned, Allyssa Ashley, Jovan, etc--like comparing chalk and cheese. This may be forty bucks an once--but it's fine stuff. This may be synthetic, but it's effective. You are as exquisite as a full blown English rose in the height of summer--you are as dangerous as a renegade libertine with pockets full of drugs and maybe a weapon well concealed somewhere in your stash--you are ready to leave your conquest breathless, covered in sweat, and begging for more. All the while, you are a perfect gentleman, a well bred woman of means. You're none of these things and you defy description: You need a "third box" in the "sex" column. You're your own creation. You are Kiehl's Original Musk. You're insecure and you're not really sure you're all that and you need to try really hard to prove you've got genitals? That's when you spend for Serge Lutens and his MKK. You're aspirational and you love walking around with that Barney's bag? Bust out your Musc Ravageur. You're real and you don't care who notices, you just know what you want and go for it? You are Kiehl's Original Musk: Very possibly the only American Fragrance that would cause the French to become jealous. They won't admit it--and guess what? You don't care: You're too busy having a roaring good time. Spray it once--if you dare--and you'll know you're there.

JeanieE's avatar

Waikiki Pikake by Pacifica

Having just purchased 3 pots of jasmine to plant, and their beautiful aroma filling my house with their lovely little white blossoms, I can quite confidently say that Waikiki Pikake is the most accurate and pure rendition of jasmine that can be. Absolutely not a hint of mothball or cheap candle anywhere, and the dry down is smelling e en better, a little greener, even. I do not normally make such bold statements as this in reviews, but, as stated, the real live scent of real
    live jasmine is right here to compare. Pure jasmine frag., so if you're looking for something more complex, this one is not for you.

Radabah's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

Love the scent but just wished it would last longer on me.

rskohl88's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

I was 16 years old in 1971, and admired a very avant garde woman in her 40's. She wore L'Heure Bleue, and I fell in love with this fragrance. It was an apt beginning of a love affair with Guerlain. I still enjoy this fragrance, although not as much as other Guerlain scents, but it still takes me back to an innocent time, with a lovely scent, not too heavy, just the right amount of powdery finish.

Olefact's avatar

Eau de Givenchy by Givenchy

I wore this scent in the late 80s and early 90s, in fact it was one of the very first perfumes I owned. I purchased the original formula on Ebay a few months ago - the one that comes in a round-cornered rectangular bottle with the marbley blue cap. It smells just as I remember it, though I now have a greater vocabulary to described it. Someone here described it as dewy, and that is what I get as well.

As with all perfumes I like, it is so well blended that I have trouble picking out the notes. It's on the sweet side but has a non-distinct citrus sharpness that prevents it from being overly sweet. It also, thankfully, does not smell like any flower in particular. The moss is probably the only ingredient that my amateur nose can isolate. Makes it smell natural and secretory. Should attract folks who revel in the scent of another's skin.

Olefact's avatar

Boss Intense by Hugo Boss

Sex in hot, humid weather in some faraway but not altogether isolated place. The scent is too sophisticated for that. Urban, asian, retro makes me think of Lust Caution by Ang Lee.

What with the spice and the kumquat I can see how some might say it is borderline sickening. But it does not cross that line. Mythically (I've never been) very Southeast Asia, that is the first thing it conjures up. Must be the kumquat. You can feel the ripeness of the fruit in the in the perfume. The scent lays on the skin using the body's heat to insinuate itself on anyone who comes close enough. A perfume with a hook. Will definitely not elicit a shrug for a response.

Deneuve by Catherine Deneuve

I bought the Long Lost Perfume version (Irma Shorell), called Cannes. I really enjoy it. It's a green chypre, but rather light and delicate, actually, with a soft leather drydown. Very subtle and elegant.

Bakir by Long Lost Perfume

I wasn't too thrilled about this the first time I tried it, because I was still in my aldehydophobic phase. That phase has thankfully ended and I'm now enjoying many vintage perfumes. Bakir from Irma Shorell (Long Lost Perfumes) is one of my favorites. It's a spicy oriental with a lovely, warm drydown. Reminds me a lot of Noir Epices, actually. Simply gorgeous, especially for autumn evenings.

Casaque by Long Lost Perfume

I'm reviewing the Long Lost Perfume version. This is a lush, big and bold white floral. It's very retro, and a lot of fun in the summertime.

Replique by Long Lost Perfume

This review is for the Long Lost Perfumes version of Replique. It's a very unique, leathery-mossy-green. It could easily be a contemporary niche scent from one of the quirkier houses. I absolutely love it, though I have a strong penchant for all perfumes green. I highly recommend this for fellow green-freaks!

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

I felt pretty neutral about Vetiver Dance when I first tried a sample prior to its release. I adore all things vetiver, but Vetiver Dance was a little complicated for me wrap my head (and nose) around. Then, about a year later, I won a bottle on Andy's holiday giveaway. After wearing it daily for a week in serious southern heat, I can say it's now my favorite vetiver. The intense floral natural of Vetiver Dance makes it unique. It's sweeter than any other vetiver fragrance I can think of. Yet the pepper cuts through the sweetness and adds a quirky counterpoint. The vetiver itself is top-quality, warm, earthy, but without the "raw dirt" facets that can make a vetiver a little too masculine for me. This one is perfect, and I reach for my bottle often!

SteelerOpera's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Put this on and while I liked it, I kept thinking it reminded me of another fragrance I own. Finally realized what it is - Boss In Motion.. does anyone else smell this? I should say BIM smells like this since Allure came first of course :)
    Other than that, I am not sure how long it lasts. It seems to stay very close to the skin, but is still there. Not my fave Chanel.

If anyone else has the same reaction to it smelling like BIM let me know :)

maccus's avatar

FCUK Connect Him by French Connection

Remy Latour's Cigar eloped with Zino by Davidoff. They disguised themselves at first with aniseed, lavender and what seems like a restrained amber but a hint of pepper was their undoing. Suddenly, the tobacco tones presented themselves disguised as patchouli and woodland spice and their earlier charade ended with a vigour that surprised everyone and then kept distracting them for hours and hours and they lived happily ever after. If you cannot afford Zino, Connect Him...

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

LouLou by Cacharel

I have a love/hate relationship with Lou Lou - some days it's perfect, in cooler weather and just a very light spray. Other days, it's heavy and nauseating. Everytime I smell it on another woman, however, I fall in love with it again. Maybe I just need to find the perfect balance fro wearing it myself? For me, a tempting, sensual scent..

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

Beautiful. Unique, humid, languorous, citric and heady all at the same time. One you don't smell on every Tom, Dick and Harry - I adore it.

cheryl's avatar

Sheherazade by Jean Desprez

I have an unmarked sample, so it may be an EDT. The opening is a kind of sweet waxy note that for some reason I associate with the 70's. It may be an aldehyde/carnation thing. I don't experience this as sultry...a bit stodgy I feel. A tweak of citrus is in the mix, or is it rosewood? Rosewood has that kind high sharpness as well. Then moss plus vanilla. It's a murky ol' thing. Carnation powder.

MeryMer's avatar

Vanille Extasy by Montale

I detest vanilla! On me, they turn to dank, smothering, and powdered-sugar. Overall though, I was impressed with this perfume.

This is a big, creamy vanilla perfume that stays vanilla until the end. However, it is well-balanced, sweet but not overly so. This scent captures the warmth, richness, and subtlety of vanilla beans that many other perfumes do so poorly. Even on me, it stayed very nice and creamy with only a hint of that baby-powder note I hate so much.

There was also a vinegar note that became apparent as the scent warms; it is a bit off-putting. However, I'm not sure if the scent was trying to sour (typical of what vanillas do when they come within 400 meters of my skin) or it was some other scent that balanced the sweetness of the vanilla. Either way, it smelled like light vinegar - yuck.

On the whole, this is the only vanilla scent that wouldn't be torturous for me to wear!