Fragrance Reviews from August 2010

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I don't get the fuss. Sweet incense with something peppery, anise or licorice, and traces of pungent sweet florals, gardenia or jasmine or something. A pleasantly feminine perfumed curiously repackaged for men.

I would be delighted if my garden smelt like this. I wouldn't however, go and roll in it.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Though I agree that the bottle and name (who comes up with these names?) are counterproductive to this otherwise delicate and subtle fragrance, in the end the scent is what we end up living with for 8 hours a day.

The opening is citrus, an exceptional, sophisticated citrus, like you would get in a fine Sorrento limoncello. Then it develops a fresh, lightly herbaceous and slightly coniferous character. It fades with a pleasant oriental resonance with no hint of sourness or preservatives.

Attitude is not a 'wow' fragrance, and contrary to the name, it doesn't have attitude. It isn't as evocative as it could be But it is a pleasing blend of fine ingredients, is well balanced and lasting.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

To be fair I'm a regular user of vetiver and cedar base note fragrances, so I may be immune to the primary essences of this one. That said I get few impressions from this fragrance, just a vague sweet, powdery talc odor. I anticipate a lot from Guerlain, and I just can't find anything much in this creation.

Hot Water by Davidoff

Something fragrance irritates my nose, something peppery and abrasive. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone prone to allergies.

AdamOhio's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

I wood (oops) say that this perhaps the most impressive frag in my (presently small but growing) collection. Impressive in terms of what it says and how it says it. No need to repeat the descriptions provided; I just want to add that it is distinctive, of high quality, and interesting each time out. BTW, I typically wear it when I happen to be wearing black that day.

FrouFrou's avatar

Eau du Soir by Sisley

I loved the topnotes of this, so I took a nice solid spray on the wrist. Looking forward to a lovely smell developing over the afternoon I was sorely disappointed. When the topnotes faded a very nasty smell began to emerge which I find hard to describe as I was getting these revolting images in my mind of a luxurious tacky 1970's bordello lounge.
    I can't help it but that was what happened.
    This has never happened to me before.
    I kept seeing seedy people there, I could almost hear the cheesy music, but I certainly could smell the place...
    Unfortunately longevity is strong and it took a lot of scrubbing to be released from this obnoxious fragrance.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

This fragrance used to be perfection in a bottle, the old formulation was, by far, my favorite perfume of all times, and to me, it will never be surpassed, by none, ever. The reformulated scent is just the shadow of the original, but still is one of the best out there, now is not my absolute favorite, but still hangs in the best 5 category. Other Vetiver perfumes have also been reformulated but they really screw the perfume, like Vetiver from Carven, used to be really good, but now it is a total disgrace to its name. So I am thankful that Guerlain, although could not mantain the quality of the original, at least recreated something that is still extremely good

Allure Homme by Chanel

My first Chanel and I like it a lot. Great projection. Longevity is very good . Im not a fragrance expert, but I recommend this to everyone. The flankers are very nice too. Thumbs up!

Escada Homme by Escada

Phenomenal! A superb fragrance with classy and elegance. Slightly powdery, but the notes are very well balanced. I like to wear this in specials occasions. Perhaps the best oriental in my growing collection.

icekat's avatar

Sheer Veil by Vera Wang

I love lilies, roses and violets. This perfume reminds me of walk on a summer night through the fragrant garden. I love the soft scent of lavender and rose as top notes (I also could smell a bit of citrus but it is not listed as ingredient). Violets and roses are blended beautifully together to produce heart notes. Then lilies come through as base notes. Lilies definitely play the main cord as base note with violet, roses and gardenia. Lilies can be overpowering but I find that they are balanced really well. I fell in love with this perfume when I first tried it on and it remains one of my favorites. It is great for spring summer day wear. Perhaps it is not as complex as my other perfumes but I think it represents the beauty of lilies quite well. I also find that this perfume lasts decent time.

Weimar27's avatar

Le Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake

If the sun had a scent this will be it's scent the opening is of dry Mahogany
    almost gives you an impression of a dry
    desert with sun cracked ground of dark crevices and sand blowing in the hot air.
    The spiciness of Coriander leaf and the anise seed makes a nice scent in a likeness of Rye Bread' and the powdery
    finish of the top note of rose.

The wood notes drowns out the delicate
    lily that makes it hard to detect Jasmine with it's Semi-masculine scent
    makes a nice presence but what captures me the most is the drydown of pure creamy milk Coconut flakes and Caramel
    makes it Delectable and ends with it's semi sweet vanilla warm amber fiery sandalwood exotic guaiac woods and sharp cedarwood.

This has to be the only versatile fragrance in my collection it can change
    from dry and smoky to sweet and creamy like the changling i have an sample right now and i just love the glowing
    orange sun motif it brings out alot of energy.

FrouFrou's avatar

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

Vile!
    On my skin it smells acidic and cat-peeish and a distinct smell of cheap soap, added to something which has gone off...
    I've been wearing it for two hours now and it is making me nauseated. I don't think I can last the course, I think I have to try and wash it off now...
    Funny, Elena has created several fragrances which make me turn and run, if I can keep from projectile vomiting, and others which are my all time favorites.

17 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 March, 2011)

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

Better than the original, in my opinion. Love the watermelon smell! A little sporty scent, with fresh notes, suitable for all ages. Uncomplicated, very safe and very nice cologne!

17 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2011)

Joshaugustt's avatar

Brasil Dream for Men by Estée Lauder

Brasil Dream was a very pleasant surprise. I purchased it not expecting very much. But I totally agree with the previous reviewer. It's really a beautiful, easy going, scent that is warm, fresh, and has good staying power. If you like exotic and easy duty...then this is definitely worth a try. I really like it.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Osmanthus by The Different Company

Gone without a trace within five minutes, hence the thumbs down.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

There is a wonderful geranium note somewhere under the toothpaste smell, but it took me four hours to really notice it and be able to enjoy it. The astringent nature of everything that isn't mint simply gives the impression that maybe you've used witchhazel or something for aftershave after brushing your teeth. I simply cannot recommend this because the overall effect is off-putting for me, but at the same time the drydown is great and makes you wish it came like that up front.

zenana's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The tea is not overwhelming for me -- the opening burst of cinnamon is almost too much, but that dissipates quickly, leaving a clear, rich dry tobacco -- like the inside of a smoke shop. Or, as someone suggested earlier, like the smell of clove cigarettes lingering on clothes a day later. On drydown the warm spices emerge again. The danger is one might end up smelling just a bit too much like a Pier One candle. But close to the skin, on a guy, this would be dynamite, totally sexy.

zenana's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Opening: Somebody took off their sweaty athletic shoes in a bicycle store. Middle: Then rolled in chicken poop wearing a leather jacket. A macho scent, and not a particularly interesting one -- it shares characteristics with lots of other "unisex" perfumes. Reminds me a bit of Bulgari Black, which I like much better. Hard to imagine this on any but the most androgynous woman.

Redbeard's avatar

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Hammam Bouquet is very difficult for me because the florals are so heavy and overpowering. Smelling it again, I don't find it as immediately "old lady" smelling as I did before, but I still doubt I could ever wear it. Most heavy masculine florals are unappealing to me, though, so if they're your thing then don't let me dissuade you. It reminds me of two Aramis scents...JHL, which is more leathery in a way that I don't like, and 900, which is a cleaner, more rose-centric scent (the one masculine rose I've found that makes sense to my nose!). I would take 900 over Hammam Bouquet or most others in the genre, but I still recognize the depths of HB's richness.

Max1mu51's avatar

Baldessarini Del Mar Seychelles by Baldessarini

Very linear. howbeit in a two step form. It starts off as if though you opened up your household pepper-mill and squeezed some pure lemon juice on top of it (Step One) Wait about 1/2 hour later, and you will get some fairly nice pipe tobacco smell that will stick around for about 2 hours (Step Two). Certainly not what I was looking forward to. Lasts about 3.5 hours and opens loud but wears pretty close to the skin.

Theasylph's avatar

Lurid by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

smells like pastelles soaked in white musk. A lotta ozone. It's a fresh cool lavender with a serious powdered bleach edge. I want to like this but something about it gives me a headache.

Theasylph's avatar

Lust by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

This starts off reminding me of their signature Snake Oil but with heavier patchouli. This is a more floral patchouli blend in which the patch dominates, making the dry down a little dirty and one noted.

David Ruskin's avatar

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I was greatly dissapointed with this as I was expecting something special; and it's not! Just another ozonic fruity floral to join the numerous others. On first spraying I find it actually unpleasant, with an over ripe almost rotten cucumber note; happily this soon goes and all that is left is must, and watery fruits. Rather a bore.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

AQUA ALLEGORIA HERBA-FRESCA is the brisk scent of freshly mown lawns on a sunny afternoon moments after the sprinklers turn on. While the mint may come across a little jarring up close, it is far from intrusive in sillage, at least to my nose. I must also congratulate Laurent for keeping a firm restraint on the femininely floral lily-of-the-valley note to produce a green and mildly soapy profile that I find refreshing even though some may find this aspect 'detergent-like'. Unless you happen to hate minty notes, this is a distinctly likeable offering from Guerlain with good projection for the first hour and a mandatory reapplication after 3-4 hours.

masj78's avatar

Rapport by Eden Classics

A new discovery and one of my favorites at the moment. It is quite cheap and has a very unusual spicy, soapy note, which I like. Makes me feel fresh and clean.Stands out in a nice way from the usual expensive varieties available.

Matti's avatar

Spain Spain

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Anyone seen toy story three??

This is Lotso in a bottle, use too much and you'll be betrayed!

and.. mmm... strawberries.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

Generic? Ya. Boring? Maybe. But, I'm a sucker for fragrances like these. With its zesty lemon, bergamot and grapefruit opening blended smoothly with the sweet patchouli and a little vetiver. Along with the pepper, creates the perfect balance between sweet and spicy. Never too sweet or cloying and never too spicy. In fact, barely spicy, just a little bit of pepper to let ya know that Play is here and kicking. I also get tons of vanilla which aren't listed in any of the notes on any site, but I can assure you, there's vanilla in this stuff.

This stuff is very versatile and very safe. Ya it's boring, ya it's common, Ya it doesn't project much. Longevity isn't bad though, I get anywhere from 4-6 hours which is ok and expected with a fragrance like this. In the majority of that time, it stays pretty close to the skin, however it can be confusing because after about 20 minutes when you think it's gone completely, it's just very mellow. Hold your breath and take another whiff, it's still there, and others will still smell you. But once the 2 hour mark rolls around, this stuff is pretty delicate, Play doesn't want people to know it's on your skin. I do not recommend this scent for warmer or more humid climates because it will evaporate on the skin. The smell itself is suited for hot weather, but given its quality, it will not work. This is best if used in fall or even winter.

Play comes in a unique mp3 player like bottle, that's pretty cheesy in my opinion, but still has a nice appearance. If I could compare the scent to another fragrance, I would say Beckham Signature Story. Many probably haven't tried this or even seen it, but Play is basically a far more tamed version of the overly cloying Signature Story.

Is it worth it? This fragrance lacks in quality, is thin and somewhat watered down, and is a common olfactory fatigue terrorist. The fatigue problem may be more a problem for the noob noses out there. I am pretty good with avoiding it now since being more novice, but sometimes it's inevitable. Worth the price? Nah.. not for what you get. 53 bucks at Macy's for 1.7 oz of this is a joke. I wouldn't drop more than 20 on it.

Aromasphere's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Oh dear! What a bitter disappointment, after waiting all this time for Chanel to take the opportunity to introduce something groundbreaking they give us yet another ‘me too’ mass market fragrance – shame on you Chanel!!!
    BdC opens with an abrasive screech and doesn’t really develop in to anything at all interesting; a straight copy of Bulgari Aqua Pour Homme.
    I love Pour Monsieur, Antaeus and Edition Blanche so I can forgive; must try harder next time though!

calero's avatar

Poppy by Coach

Perhaps it was how the SA at Macy's assailed me with the tester paper of this new fragrance from Coach that turned me off from the get go. Well, here is just some more generic ho-hum that smells fruity and floral and like it will be on a lot of teenage to early 20's ladies wishlists.

I'm smelling the tester paper now (several days later) and it smells slightly rich and gourmand, almost berry-like. It's possible this may be a frag that you have to wait out for the drydown.

WildThingy's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

The top is quite interesting, light, mysterious. After half an hour the "woody amber" comes in and cries it's heart out endlessly. A new direction that I don't appreciate. Words fail me.