Fragrance Reviews from September 2010

buyers_remorse's avatar

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Just bought this at a staggering price, shipped from France. I can say when a scent is overated you purchase it at your peril. The stoncking £100 plus for 75ml must be the waste of a day. Think of an old woman, powdery, thats how it turns out. It sarts of like Creeds E.L with a sweet scent. A hint of cumin. This turns into the old woman who turns up to your house and smells of powder! Not impressed.

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

I have to vote "nay". I get the rum/boozy/orange opening. Then a sweet fruitocious layer. It persists quietly. Something about the sweet booziness just brings up associations of hungover people for me. There's a whiff of artificiality in the whole sordid affair. Something in it just sticks in my throat..perhaps the sugar cane note.

Merbert's avatar

Bois et Fruits by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Before I get to a long-forgotten holiday fruitcake, Bois et Fruits inflicts clouds of rancid butter or ghee. Before it vanishes, there is a suggestion of an Arabie-soaked platter of dried figs, dates, apricots and raisins. Nasty!

the_tourist's avatar

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The scent of a deranged Cinnabon employee who chain-smokes clove cigarettes...abrasively dry and discordant.

JoanneJoanne's avatar

Eau Duelle by Diptyque

Eau Duelle at last proffers a vanilla / amber for those who love the creaminess and warmth of vanilla but are immediately put off by the often sickly sweetness. This vanilla is deep and mysterious and for once for a unisex frag, really would work well on both men and women. It wears well with the spicy undertones not overpowering the vanilla as seems to usually happen after wearing for a long time, on my skin at least.

I must say as one who does not like overly spicy orientals and finds them overpowering that this just hits the spot. It would be great for someone wanting something interesting and unusual but with the familiarity and comfort of a warm, elegant cashmere-soft vanilla.

vinramani09's avatar

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

This is an amazing fragrance! This puts Gucci Homme to shame . The notes throughout smell of cedar and vetiver but in a very fresh way . It lasts long and usually most mens fragrances dont last long on my skin. It does conjure up images of being in Banff , Canada and experiencing the glacial beauty of the Rockies but at the same time it smells like Himalayan Buddhist Incense, so it has a very purifying and spiritual quality to it .

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

In my opinion is the best perfume of YSL for women. Feminine. Sensual. Smoky. Great sillage.

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

Very elegant fragrance that afforded me many moments of delight. I appreciate the aroma of fig. Fragrance with a sweet aroma that allows you to have good dreams.A pity not to have great length on my skin.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Delicious fragrance. Pure delight for many hours.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Unlike all other perfumes of Dior. I will not buy a perfume to smell gasoline. Definitely not for me. The absolute version is more decent and looks more like a perfume.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The best male fragrance from YSL. Sweet without being cloying. Very nice fragrance, consistent throughout the process. Great sillage. The rare EDP version is even more striking.

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

The best male fragrance from YSL. Sweet without being cloying. Very nice fragrance, consistent throughout the process. Great sillage and longevity.

Touch for Men by Burberry

Even though I hear ladies like this, I find it the worst of the burberry lineup (I haven't tried weekend). SUPER powdery violet is all I can smell on my skin (which kills fragrances). Very cloying in my opinion and it gave me a terrible headache (only about 3 fragrances have ever done this). I don't see what people see in this fragrance. If you like the floral notes, go for L'homme by YSL instead... Might be worth a try if violet is your thing.

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

Top notes feel like they've been delivered directly to my nose via a shotgun shell. Thankfully they fade away after an hour to a nice british tea vibe. 2 sprays with this one. I guess this is for fall? Comes in about 4th place in a 7 man race. It's definitely worth a try.

Only The Brave by Diesel

It smells like someone had spilled synthetic fragrance compounds on the floor and used my unconscious body's wrists to wipe it up. I can't make out any notes in this. Absolutely disgusting. No wonder why the SAs hand out free samples so readily.

dlcuervo's avatar

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

It goes on a little too sweet, but after awhile with my body chemistry it mellows out to just right. Never had so many women ask what I was wearing before.

guadalcazzar's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

Our local drugstore has 50% discount on this stuff, and i gave it a try.
    Most things are already written: rather boring skin-scent,
    which smells a bit like tiger cage, after 2 hrs poor silage..
    but this was a very sapless, old, mangy, toothless tiger chained inside.. poor cat! ^^

In a sudden outburst of geistesblitz, i gave that old tiger a kick,
    and layered some spicy-oriental cologne over the unforgivable PuffyDoodle-pee:
    'AZTEK' by Y.Rocher (ReEdition 2008), with a welldone labdanum base.

Within seconds, it turned into a dark, vibrant, hyperreal "gladiator scent",
    with a warm, splendid and prominent base accord of musk-amber -labdanum.
    Big cojones and animalic - not yet the holy water i'm seeking,
    that causes cascades of goosebumps on your neck at first smell,
    but my autumn /winter favorite for 2010.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Acqua di Parma Profumo by Acqua di Parma

The original Profumo was very good but this one is even more so. I prefer the new version. Sweet fruit - light floral chypre to begin - if you love Mitsouko and The Party In Manhattan then you will love this one too. Dries down a clean woody clean clear cut chypre. Excellence !

01st September, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2011)

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This product is very differente of others great perfumes of YSL.
    If the intention was to shock: succeeded. The civet note is still very strong and nauseating. In some moments I feel the gag reflex. If the note from Civet had stayed in the background this perfume would be better. As it is, what prevails is the smell of leather fat recently taken from the cattle. Other flankers like Body Kourus and Energize Tonique are very good. But I still do not feel even the slightest desire to buy the original Kourus, even just to have in my collection.

Review after the third attempt.

01st September, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2011)

Joshaugustt's avatar

Oolang Infini by Atelier Cologne

THIS IS A VERY PLEASEING, IF SOFT, FRESH SCENT. I WISH IT WAS STRONGER BUT IT'S A CLASS ACT AND CAN BE USED AS A BASE FOR MANY OTHER FRAGRANCES.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Grand Néroli by Atelier Cologne

THE GRAND NEROLI IS A BIT TOO GRAND (LOUD) FOR ME. IT PRETTY MUCH DROWNS OUT THE REST OF THE NOTES.

odysseusm's avatar

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

This is an excellent budget fragrance. It starts with a lemony and herbal opening, at times almost minty in its zippy freshness. With some subtle coniferous notes, the scent bears a similarity to Pino Silvestre, but I’d characterize this as smoother and a bit soapier than PS. The herbal notes are well done: they are prominent but not aggressive or harsh. The dry-down is very attractive. Elements which could be heavy (musk, patchouli, leather) are given such a light treatment that they simply add a bit of complexity. Well done!

odysseusm's avatar

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

This is a smooth green scent, with lovely aromatic notes. At times, I find the scent a little too smooth and wish that it had a bit more briskness or edge. All the elements are well blended, and it is difficult to pick them out as distinct units. There is some spice, but it is very gentle. There are some coniferous notes, slightly mentholated or camphoric. In time, some bright juniper and oudh notes emerge. However, I still find the scent a little (just a little) rich for my blood. This is not an austere scent. There is a dark, heavy and slightly toasty aspect to the dry-down.

Zut by Elsa Schiaparelli

The notes, courtesy of fraganita:
    bergamot, black currant, cyclamen, marigold, ylang-ylang, linden flower, jasmine, lily of the valley, rose, iris roots, tonka, incense, vanilla, cedar, sandalwood and musk.

This is a RID-DIC-CUL-OUS perfume. It is total bubblegum fruitfest. The black currant and strawberry (unlisted here) are most evident. It's wrapped up in vanilla and a lot of other stuff. It's a busy busy happy happy fragrance that young folk might be drawn to. I dismissed it instantly, then came back for another sniff. I actually (head hanging in shame) am getting a kick out of it. It satisfies that once in a blue moon need to smell a fruity marshmallow with some soapiness in there...yes, it smells kind of like one of those bed, bath , beyond soapy things...I dunno why I kinda like it. It's not a serious perfume, but pure silly fun.

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Not too much to say. Exactly what you were expecting when you read "grapefruit" on the label. A zesty blast...then a generic sort of lemonygrass citrus...then...what? did I fall asleep?

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

Not too much to say. Very transparent, easy breezy scent. A nice clean orange blossom..morphing to jasmine notes on my skin..then fades away. But not completely..there's a slightly irritating base that is slower to dissipate. I That's all she wrote!

Natori by Josie Natori

This was a sleeper for me. Nice an' all. But I now appreciate Natori. Instead of a fruity musk for teens, it is a musky plum for adult women. It's a subdued woody plum on a very elegant rich base. The aldehydes make it sing and the musk makes it purr. It seems like an excellent accompaniment to lingere..though I wear it in day light hours too to nice effect. Bravo whoever put it together...they've done a pretty darn good job of it. This would make a great gift. I think most women into perfume would like! It is classy elegant but with some depth..and really nothing else is quite like this.

Doctor Mod's avatar

Nahéma by Guerlain

t seems that Nahéma elicits a wide range of responses among the previous reviewers, and that strikes me as typical of many Guerlain fragrances. There are some Guerlains I've worn for most of my life--then there are those that I've tried and tried again because I find it difficult to give up on a Guerlain I didn't like first time around. Some, like Vol de Nuit, eventually grew on me. But we all know by now that a Guerlain fragrance picks its wearer, not vice-versa. I've tried to make Nahéma love me, but apparently she's unwilling to go there.

The worst part of the experience is the first five to ten minutes with that knock-you-off-your-feet aldehydic slap. (Indeed, I experienced this fragrance as a floral aldehyde rather than a floral oriental, as the aldehyde and rose notes completely obscure the woods and spices for me.) On me, the aldehydes stayed around a lot longer than they do with other perfumes and, quite frankly, wore out their welcome.

I hoped it would get better, but when the drydown actually began (between ten and fifteen minutes in various tests), I was left with an old-fashioned bitter rose fragrance redolent of my childhood--even though I can't associate any particular individual with it. Rather, it's a certain vibe from decades ago, more of an ambiance than anything else. There's something about it that just shouts "I'm wearing perfume!" in a unsubtle way. It's difficult to define, but I'd call say it has a 1960s-style haughtiness (as opposed to the far less serious "swinging 60s" youth vibe of, say, Yardley Oh! de London). I find the same characteristic in Guy Laroche Fidji, Robert Piguet Bandit, and Yves Saint Laurent Y, for example--a sort of glamorous coldness.

It pains me to say it, but to me Nahéma is church-lady-ish. In effect, its murky blend of bitter florals (with rose leading the pack) combined with the aldehyde reminds me of many of the Estee Lauder fragrances that tell the world: "I'm respectable, I have money, and I'm utterly repressed and not enjoying myself." But I expect a Guerlain fragrance to smell a whole lot more exciting and interesting than an Estee Lauder one.

That being said, Nahéma might be the sexiest thing on earth on someone else--and that someone is more than welcome to it.

Doctor Mod's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I must thank member Miss Magic for including a decant of Black Orchid in a swap, as I might not have discovered it on my own. So much has been said about this fragrance that I was most curious, even though I wasn't entirely expecting to like it. I must say it's one of the most incredible scents I've smelled in a while.

The first word to come to my mind as soon as I'd dabbed some on my wrists was "Hawai'i," the place where I was born and to which I try to return every winter to escape the cold Northeast for a little while. I felt I as if I were sitting on a hotel balcony in Waikiki with an orchid lei around my neck, feeling the warm sun and the cool sea breezes. There are times when the smell of orchid seems ubiquitous in Honolulu, and this fragrance brought me back to that lovely city.

Yet for all the Pacific Island associations, I also detect something very French about Black Orchid. To my mind, it recalls "la haute parfumerie Française" of a long-lost past, the decades between the 1920s and 1950s. It is deep, rich, and utterly decadent with its huge volume and intensity. The two or three drops on my wrists is sufficient--more would be overwhelming.

I don't get the chocolate notes so many of the previous reviewers have mentioned, but perhaps that's how the patchouli--which I find pleasant in the drydown--plays out for them. Mostly, I get orchid, combined with tropical fruits and other flowers with a low-key oriental vibe. I generally avoid fruity-floral scents, but this is nothing like the peachy white florals that seem to be dominating the market these days.

This is not a fragrance for girly-girls or macho men, and certainly not for anyone who suffers from any sort of identity insecurity. Black Orchid is only for self-confident and worldly souls, as it takes strength of character to bring off a scent like this successfully. Subtle it is not. There is also a certain campy, over-the-top aspect to it, so perhaps it's a fragrance best reserved for those with an appreciation for the sardonic.

I confess to love at first smell, and I'm sure to buy a bottle for myself. How often--or where--I would actually wear it is another matter altogether. I can't imagine wearing it in my office or classroom--it's just too, too much. On me, it's also a bit too "femme fatale" to consider any use other than "guilty pleasures."

(At this point, I could let my imagination run amok, but some things really are better left unsaid.)

fernwood's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

this is classy. I can see this being made in the 50's. to my nose this starts off like Creed's Royal English Leather. although not as loud. becomes more powdery with the drydown. stays close to the skin. this would be a great scent for someone not really wanting to make much of a statement but just exuding great style and sophistication. what's not to like? a winner.