Fragrance Reviews from September 2010

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

a nice opening with the lavender and rosemary spicing things up a bit. I smell iris in the middle although that could be geranium and galbanum. a woody smoky ending is a nice touch. very youthful scent -well constructed not my style though. still thumbs up for its construction.

Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

Very interesting development-- starts with tea and sandalwood but the tea leaves quickly and is replaced by the flowers jasmine and Bulgarian rose. The former stronger than the latter. A very creamy fragrance sweet with the lingering spice of the sandalwood. Projects well and is lasting. I don't get cumin or sweat at all. Just jasmine tea with some spice thrown in to balance it out. An ok scent . I want to like this more because of the jasmine but I guess it's just not my cup of The.

Artisan by John Varvatos

this opens with a burst of clean sweet citrus -orange and maybe some candied lemon in the background. I'm liking it. It says ginger extracts in the pyramid but I'm getting something more grassy vetiver like. It's the drydown that disappoints me. Such a wonderful opening to be let down by the too light woods. This needed something more substantial to anchor the high flying sweet citrus. Still a great opening though.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Solo Loewe Eau de Cologne Intense by Loewe

Solo Loewe Eau de Cologne Intense is kind of like ck one, more like Azzaro's Chrome, and a bit like Tiffany Sport. It does have it's own unique fresh note as well, but really just one. I cannot recommend this because I'll never wear it again after today. It's boring, it's been done, and people tell me I smell like I've been smoking when I wear scents with this "ck one," smell. It might even irritate your throat a bit, but I can't be sure because I may just be coming down with a cold. Because of this I won't give it a thumbs down, but it's still just neutral.

It also has nothing in common with the original Solo Loewe.

And it has a great bottle, but that doesn't matter to basenoters because we're beyond that sort of superficial dreck, we're just concerned with the juice, right?

Hello?

Anybody with me?

I see how it is.

latelittlesleeper's avatar

Halston by Halston

I love a little drugstore Halston with a dab of rose attar. It creates such a perfect tarry-balsamic-leathery rose. Just gorgeous.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

On me the creamy White Orchid stands out as the topnote then it drops into the blend and a tangyish note comes out -I associate Bergamot with Earl Grey Tea so I assume it to be more from the Vetyver with the Bergamot supporting for a crisp tangy root-crunch .From top to bottom I smell the spices .Nu does remind me of Opium but it also recalls Gres Cabaret .To my mind Nu could be described as a combination of Opium and Cabaret with White Orchids on top.

vinramani09's avatar

Kristiansand New York by Kristiansand New York

Very similar to By Man , but not as long lasting , but hey its better than nothing or paying 250 on ebay

PaladinX's avatar

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

I agree with asha, The opening is sort of a body kourous, Sweet, burnt caramel kind of opening, And than it dries down to more of a grassy "fennel" type of smell. Its very weak on my skin, does not last long. And I really do not believe it is worth the price tag.

ArthurFerreira's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

APH is a classic. This masculine scent is a masterpiece of harmony. Very, very nice. The others Azzaro perfumes are good but they are far from APH.
    Finally, now in 2010, Azzaro has launched another fragrance with the same quality of APH. It's the launch Azzaro Elixir, a sort of modern version of APH, with a very pleasant fragrance, consistent in his proposal and also very harmonious, like his older brother. For the lovers of APH I recommend knowing Azzaro Elixir.

braxy29's avatar

Dune by Christian Dior

i remember that i enjoyed this one quite a lot several years ago, right after it was released. i decided to give it a go today.

it is not what i remembered (although i am not sure what that was). i went into the department store today without anything on to give it a try. the floral and citrus were a bit overwhelming at first (i don't tend to go for floral or citrus heavy scents), but wore off quickly. after that i got what others have called a dry amber for the next several hours, only mildly sweet and warm. i liked it so well that i went back in this afternoon to purchase, and gave myself another spray.

on the second go today, i got a lot of incense after the initial blast, which has dried down into an almost metallic smell, of all things.

fascinating.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Nightscape by Ulrich Lang

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL, WARM FRAGRANCE THAT ADDS A REALLY GOOD NEW FRAGRANCE TO THE LANG LINE. VERY CLASSY!

Molinard Homme I by Molinard

This opens with a fresh, minty-green chord. It develops along powdery and fresh lines, a bit grassy, a bit ozonic. I don’t care for this sort of scent, and I don’t find this rendition in any way interesting.

Le Vetyver by Lubin

Funky bottle and box. To me this is a clone of Guerlain Vetiver. It has the same somewhat heavy tobacco-leaf and soapy vibe, the latter aspect is due to the sweet rendition of myrrh. I prefer vetiver either as light/citrus (Givenchy) or green-perky (Mugler Cologne) or even dark and rootsy. This is none of those.

Saffron / Amber / Agar Wood / Cardamom by Korres

I wondered if I would like this scent. I’m not a fan of amber, and the possibility of vanilla did not thrill me. Now that I’ve tried it, I can say that I like it. The amber is not heavy or sweet, and the vanilla is so minute that it flies under my radar.
    This is a basic gentle spice sort of scent, brightened by a bit of oudh. The oudh/agarwood is not quirky, medicinal or challenging – it is woody and gives some freshness. This is a fairly safe choice for a spicy-wood sort of scent. It is good value, and has more character than others of this type. Very good longevity, as it develops along the woody line. I don’t find it bottle-worthy but it is a nice, pleasant scent.

cheryl's avatar

Chipre by Madini

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on what this smells like. It goes on with a soapy floral green note (not great to me) and relaxes to sweet honeyed floral powder (better, but not magical). I am not drawn into it. It seems like it may be trying to smother me. I'm not feeling chypre at all, but powder.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I'm with off-scenter on this one. why am I offering yet another review of Cool Water? What can I say that hasn't been said 200 times before? I don't know. This is not a bad scent. It's actually well constructed. Yes it's fresh aquatic green broke new ground in fragrance for the masses etc. Yes it's similar to GIT in the opening. Yes it's more synthetic than GIT. Yes it costs less than GIT. Yes everybody and their brother and apparently some of their sisters wore this and continue to wear this. Yes yes yes yes. I just prefer the real deal in this genre - GIT

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Again what else can I say that hasn't been said 200 times before? I love this scent. What they all said. I'll just add that for me the beauty of GIT is in the fact that it feels so authentic. Each bottle can be slightly different. Like a homemade potion. For me it seems to revolve around the Iris and Violet Leaves. Some bottles seem to express more to the Violet side and others to the Iris side. Maybe it's just my nose. I don't know but whatever--I like this.

Blu Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma

This is as advertised. I smell Italy the Mediterranean . This is fresh aquatic clean. There is rose and some amber. Well done. I get the feeling that I'm walking on a street in Italy on the Mediterranean and I bump into a well dressed gentleman and I smell his freshly laundered shirt with a hint of the Acqua di Parma colonia he is wearing. Very nice.

msleslie's avatar

Pink Happiness by Revlon

I bought this scent just to get the bonus gift of Revlon makeup but like it because it smells like opening a bag of little pink marshmellows, which fills a niche in my scent life I have not previously considered. It is fun, but not a serious contender.

kevinz4444's avatar

Ferrari Passion by Ferrari

The Ferrari folks have added some confusion to this product, and this has affected its reviews here, no doubt. Ferrari Passion comes in 2 different varieties, both using the same red plastic bottle. There is Ferrari Passion "regular" and Ferrari Passion Unlimited. I now own both, and did not know there were 2 different varieties until I bought a spare bottle of "Ferrari Passion" that smelled different than the one I owned already. The unlimited variety has the ingredient pyramid printed on the bottle side, and the word "unlimited" inked on the bottom of the bottle (with other codes). The "regular" version does not have these markings.

That said, the "unlimited" version is fabulous. I have received compliments from my wife and others when I have worn this one. It lasts a long time, but wears fairly close to the skin. It is not like anything else I own, so it is difficult to describe by way of a comparison with another fragrance -- but I will definitely pick this when it comes time to selecting a nice scent for the day. I am still evaluating the "regular" version I bought recently, but it is stronger, non-linear, and to my nose reminiscent of Ungaro III (which I also own). I don't like this one anywhere near as much as "Unlimited", but it is not a total loss.

I will give a BIG thumbs up for the Unlimited version -- but only a so-so for the "regular" version. Buyer beware what you are getting if you order online...and I invite previous reviewers who may see my review to update their statements with whether their review is for "regular" or for "unlimited".

tsuzumi's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

I just tried another spray of this at a department store--that means that it was the current EDT. The first time I tried Heritage, I had trouble distinguishing it from Habit Rouge. Now the difference is very clear--HR is a lot more like lemon drops, and also has a more animalic undertone. Heritage is the kind of Guerlain that just lifts your mood. Today, it reminded me a lot of l'Instant pour Homme Extreme, although without the clear cocoa note. Maybe I need some more work to distinguish these two--my next task. But Heritage is a very gentlemanly refined fragrance with depth and development. The lush Guerlinade began to display a cinnamon/nutmeg note as it dried down. Six hours later, a warm vanilla still remains on my skin. Wow.

awesomeness's avatar

Rectoverso Mystery Secret by Ulric de Varens

An Angel copy. Nothing more, nothing less.

LemonKeith's avatar

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

Smell like tempo tissue from Germany

Kerosene's avatar

Visit by Azzaro

This has a Zirh Ikon vibe without the cinnamon and not as much incense. Very nice scent.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

Smells much darker than your average sporty fragrance. Nice, but very unoriginal and uninspired. Sort of reminds me of a toned down 80's powerhouse fragrance.

darren1's avatar

Kiss Him by KISS

wow. you guys are all way off. no one has said it yet, so ill say it. i wouldnt say it smells like cumin. id say it smells like a dirty sweaty jock strap soaked in chili powder. it smells exactly like sweat from a certain area of the body. an area youd never stick your nose near. i expected as much from gene simmons. it smells like phallus.

mocha1943's avatar

Eternal Magic by Avon

I really enjoy this scent. I think the orris root combined with florals is very distinctive. It also lasts very well on me. IMO one of Avon's best fragrances.

rikafa's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

If you want to save your money, go to Cuba Gold. Just Le Male in another bottle. I have Cuba Gold but I dont wear it very often. Im a mature man and I think it is best suitable for the younger crowd.

teardrop's avatar

England England

Azahar by Adolfo Dominguez

l was sent a free sample of this along with another scent l bought from eBay, & l have no personal experience of the authentic azahar scent as described by other reviewers, but l would describe it as a fresh, sunny mix of orange blossom & neroli. There's a whiff of musky woods after about 15 minutes, but apart from that it doesn't develop much on my skin & disappears in less than an hour. Nice, but disappointing for it's poor longevity.

teardrop's avatar

England England

Gardénia by Chanel

l, too, am underwhelmed.. at first it's just a generic "perfume smell" on me, then there's a whiff of tuberose & jasmine, but absolutely NO gardenia. lt disappears on my skin in less than an hour. Not unpleasant but l'm so disappointed considering this is a Chanel, that l have to give it a negative rating.