Fragrance Reviews from September 2010

Une Rose Chyprée by Tauer

The ghosts of all the old, bewitching Guerlains are to be found in Une Rose Chyprée, a pitch-perfect manifestation of pure sensuality. My initial reaction to it was to let out a gasp of astonishment and exclaim, "I don't think I've got enough noses with which to smell this." Yes, in simplistic terms, it's a rose, but then, a rose is a rose is a rose... Earthy and sparkling, this is a substance of gilt-edged richness, which also accomplishes the feat of remaining unabashedly unisex throughout its development.

26 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2010)

Orange Star by Tauer

Orange Star is hard to pin down. It smells almost suspiciously different from one person's skin to the next. It takes on alternate personalities depending on whether you spray it on paper, fabric or your own wrist. It makes you believe it's a citrus before pulling your senses into something thicker and deeper, and just when you think you've got it sussed, it lightens up and gives you a cheeky tangerine wink.

One one level, it does pretty much what it says on the can. Top notes of sweet mandarines? Check. A heart of orange flowers? Check. Ambergris and tonka beans in the base? Yes indeed, check. But this compelling new scent has a life far beyond a few words printed on a marketing leaflet. Sure, you get citrus notes when you first spray it, but there aren't many citrus openings out there that immediately make you think you've just sunk your teeth into a freshly cut segment of the most succulent orange this side of Eden. The juices run down the side of your mouth and you roll your tongue across your lips, trying to catch every drop... but wait, the analogy doesn't quite work, because this fragrance is never sticky, and whilst it flirts with gourmand sensibilities, you wouldn't mistake it for a confection.

Next comes the seamless (but perhaps too rapid?) transition to the blossoms, and you throw your head back and realise you're sitting on the grass in the middle of a pristine orchard with hundreds of fragrant blooms bursting upon the branches around you. The leaves above your head frame the sunlight into a thousand different shapes. And every now and then, a contrast appears, just enough to prevent the whole experience from becoming twee or sickly. Is it the richness of the soil below you, the smokiness of the tree bark or the bitterness of the pips you've just tasted? Perhaps it's all three, working in harmony with the petals.

Night falls. You know the orange flowers are still nearby, but now you realise that the orchard has been in a familiar country all along: Tauerville. Allowing your body to sink down onto the floor, you breathe in the delightful, vanilla-tinged riches of Incense Extrême - and to an extent, L'Air Du Désert Marocain - which have now been made suitably cleaner and lighter. You drift into sleep... and guess what, when you awake, you're still in the same place! Purple prose aside, if nothing else, Orange Star is easily one of the most long-lasting scents I've encountered for a while, not to mention one of the most diffusive. Indeed, when I wore it to work the other day - in the name of research for this review - I was virtually attacked by a horde of ravenous colleagues demanding to know the name of this astonishing nectar I was wearing.

There's no doubt I enjoy some Tauer creations more than others, but as far as I'm concerned, this one's a winner. It's perplexing and beguiling and, most importantly, it makes great company from the moment you apply a few judicious sprays in the morning, to the quieter hours of the early evening, when your attention is caught every now and then by that cheeky tangerine wink.

26 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2010)

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Jacques Polge et al have reached new depths of depressing predictability with Bleu. The fragrance's advertising tagline is "Be Unexpected." Well, guess what, they sure aren't kidding, because I certainly never expected something so downright ordinary to be graced by the double-C logo.

There really isn't very much one can say about it apart from the fact that it features an overly long bergamot opening and a quasi-woody-spicy middle section with no hint of originality whatsoever. From start to finish, it is an exercise in the most dismaying type of generic 'pleasantness', a timid perfume designed for a person determined not to make an individual mark on the world. I'm sure it'll earn millions for Chanel and set back mainstream men's perfumery by a good few years

26 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 October, 2010)

Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer

Une Rose Vermeille somehow pulls off the trick of seeming innocent whilst giving free rein to a streak that can only be described as cheeky and mischievous.

The first step in its seduction ritual is a fizzing firework display of raspberry, so sparkling, it takes you by surprise each time you re-spray the scent. The gourmand sweetness is allowed to grow larger, before making room for the eponymous floral note: a deep, velvety, peppery rose that whispers intimacies in your ear and pulls you further into a realm of sugars. And just when you think your system couldn't possibly cope with any more olfactory calories, the base of the fragrance reveals itself to be a delicate layer of the finest marzipan, spotlessly white and enriched with the complex contrasts of almonds.

This is Andy's most feminine scent to date, designed for Snow White on an evening when she feels like letting her hair down. She borrows Little Red Riding Hood's cape, paints her nails crismson and applies glossy scarlet lipstick to her coquettish pout. She puts on a ruby ring and slips her feet into pillar-box stilletos. And then she hits the town, racing through the streets in a blood-red Lamborghini, looking for someone willing to bite into her deliciously wicked apple and succumb to the delights of her playful poison.

26 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 October, 2010)

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

How do you bite your thumb at the stream of cynical sub-scents that emerge every summer? Here's a pretty good, two-word answer: Like This. Need more detail? Well, you start with a radiant flash of citrusy ginger, paired with a glassy lavender and the quietest hint of sweet saffron. Then you unveil a full-bodied immortelle, giving it plenty of room to show off its woody, spicy, fruity complexity. Next you introduce a well-measured scattering of bitter almonds and rose petals, lightening them with a temperate breeze that almost feels aldehydic. And finally, you tell the world's perfume critics that your scent also contains a 'pumpkin accord', and you watch as they scratch their heads and decide if they really can detect anything vegetable-like in their sample. You balance all these elements with immaculate precision. You name your fragrance after a Persian poem. You choose Tilda Swinton for your advertising campaign, sending out all the right messages about androgyny and eccentric English cool. And then you watch as the other inconsequential little aquas and sport lites quiver behind their multi-million dollar marketing campaigns and marvel at your impressive longevity. Or to go back to that two-word answer, the best way to do it is Like This.

skipper's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

If you like the smell of incense - and I do - this may be one for you. Because incense is what you get - in buckets. After a short, spicy opening Ikon turns into a dark and slightly tar-like incense note that goes on for hours without going anywhere else. This might have worked out fine in a high-quality fragrance, but the frankincense note in Ikon is frankly very one-dimensional and leaves a rather cheap impression. Not bad, but not very good either.

Try out Celine Fever pour Homme instead if you want a good incense fragrance at a low price. Besides having a much better incense note than Ikon, Fever furthermore adds a wonderfully fresh sawdust-resinous sweetness that makes it an absolute joy to wear, especially in cold weather. And just like Ikon it can be found on the internet at a ridiculously low price (nice bottle too).

NevilleM's avatar

Memoir Man by Amouage

Initial impressions:
    A gorgeous start very leafy green. Not sure which notes are the wormwood, but I get mint leaves under basil. [No tootpaste]
    After 20 mins the leaf notes start to fade and you move into a vibrant garden - lots of growth after the spring rain, flower buds, no flowers.
    Maybe too healthy, there's something not quite right in this garden.
    You find yourself wandering into a wood and soon it's dead trees hanging with moss and stagnant green pools (maybe theyre filled with absynthe).
    Six hours later and you're still lost in that wood and the light is failing.
    Tomorrow you have to decide if you're brave enough to explore that wood again.

It's not oriental, it's not what you'd expect from Amouage - the madness of absynthe bottled as a scent.

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

Envy by Gucci

I can never decide about Envy. It is seductive. Something you want to resist but can't. It seems like a sophisticated worldly scent to me. It seems like something I can't get my head around. I don't know if I like it but I think I love it. Like some guy you use for sex but on the other hand like some guy you want to always be there and you can't resist even you know he's bad.

Does anyone know what the notes are in this scent?

RedDakini's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Sensuous Noir by Estée Lauder

The original version is one of my fave fragrances. In my opinion it is heavier and darker, with really distinct scent of sandal wood, while this new variant is not so outstanding. But I recommend trying.

Allure Homme by Chanel

Wow !!! is all I have to say about this fragrance. When I wear this fragrance I feel like a million bucks,lol... And yes this scent hits you from a bunch of angles like a lot of people have said but to me the best way to describe this scent is it starts out fresh (not an aqua di gio type fresh tho) and then stays fresh throughout the fragrance but transforms into a warmer freshness combined with some very pleasing Masculine Vanilla.. ELEGANT AND CLASSY SMELL !!! .... Id recommend this fragrance for nights out or romantic evenings in with that special someone, and for formal occasions such as going to church,weddings or anything that requires you to dress up really. This is way to nice smelling for work or school. And recommended age for this I would say would be between the ages of 25-40

Overall smell: 9
    Longevity: 9.5 (I get anywhere from 10-15 hours on my skin,so deffinitly a winner there)
    Projection:6.5(This scent is more to be enjoyed by you and by the ones close to you but when they get close to you they WILL smell this)
    Overall rating: 9

A MUST BUY !!!

Chrome by Azzaro

I first off wanna say that this is an excellent cologne if your getting started as far as wearing cologne or starting a collection... Yes this isnt the best smelling or classiest cologne out there(its for sure not to shabby tho) but its perfect for anyone wanting a nice fresh smelling cologne for a decent price... The smell on this kinda has a sharp synthetic fresh apple smell at first but its great none-the-less, and after it dries down you get pretty much the same smell as what you did in the top notes of the fragrances only a little warmer with some musk... Projection is actually pretty decent and longevity on me is about 7-10 hours(so not to bad in those areas as well)Also id recommend this scent for everyday casual use and for the crowd in the age range of 13-25... But as an overall rating Id give this a 7.5 out of 10 just because its a good scent for the price but there are better colognes out there... Worth checking out for sure because for me at least this was a compliment getter !!!

Cool Water by Davidoff

I first got this cologne based on the fact that its super popular and I mainly just wanted to see what the hype was about... And well,after trying this out I have to say I can see why its popular but it didnt really wow me,lol. The smell on this is decent and has an earthy type smell that is decent and pretty good smelling, but nothing that really made me fall in love with this. Its just slightly above average at best..

Overall scent: 7
    Longevity:6 (only get 4-6 hrs. on my skin)
    Projection:7
    Overall rating: 7
    Age range: 18-50
    Best times to wear this: Can be worn casually to work/school, but best worn in warm or hot weather

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

When I first smelled this scent I wasnt too sure about it.. But now that Ive tried it I've absolutely fallen in love with it and have to say its in my top 3 favorite scents.. Also this is a favorite of the ladies and is my most complimented scent I have. Great going out fragrance and the smell on this is amazing.. Starts off a bit citrusy but then coolsdown into a smoky,sweet,mysterious, vibe of a scent with still a hint of citrus. (A little powdery which some may not like but to me its not that bad.)

Overall scent: 8.5
    Longevity:9 (I get anywhere from 8-12 hrs on my skin)
    Projection:8.5
    Overall rating:8.75

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Got this scent because of good reviews I have seen on youtube..And Im actually pretty pleased with this fragrance. The scent is a typical fresh,citrusy scent at first and has a bit too much lemon for me in the beginning but after about 20mins when it starts to settle the lemon fades and the fragrance starts to get a sweeter more pleasing almost like a more pleasing masculine cotton candy/bubblegum type smell...So dont judge this by the smell you get right after spraying because it does get better. Id recommend this scent for casual use or just a nice day out. Nothing extremely unique but it is better than most summer scents out there. And Age range on this bad boy would be 13-30 In my opinion

Overall scent smell: 8.5
    Longevity: 8 (got 6-9 on my skin which is awesome for a summer frag)
    Projection:7(This has good projection for about 3 hours but then stays close to the skin)

Coffin's avatar

Finland Finland

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

This is the first fragrance that I really recall liking, so maybe my opinion is biased as a result (can't say that I tried that many others first). It's not particularly daring and quite synthetic (but I somehow like the “technology vibe” from that), but I feel very comfortable and confident wearing it, but again, this may be due to past experience with this one—I know it works for me.

Coffin's avatar

Finland Finland

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

My initial impression of this was not very good, and this seems to be a difficult fragrance to “test” because the smell changes a some 10 minutes after application. However, after leaving it on I've grown to like it it very much. I find the smell very “clean”, but never too feminine or in-your-face (after it has dried down a bit). I use this mostly as a daytime fragrance, for night this feels a bit too much like a “nice guy” smell.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I have no idea why but I've only ever owned this as aftershave rather than an EDT and so is used perhaps once or maybe twice a week after shaving. It's a wonderful blend of lemon and tobacco which gives a clean, fresh and, at the same time, masculine scent for a good few hours even as an aftershave.

One day I'll buy the EDT version but for the time being it's my perfect shaving accompanient. Great stuff.

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

I owned and wore this from late teens to mid-twenties and loved it. It's really citrusy and was great to wear in the summer. As I've got older it's just seemed too "young" for me so I've left it behind. Ho-hum, c'est la vie.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

This fragrance makes me think of my father and so to me is a refined, older man's scent. It's beautiful: citrus and freshly cut grass.

I don't think I can pull this off yet but only because I associate it with an older man. One day I'll buy it but for now it's something I want to associate with my father; he wears it much better than I could.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This was my first ever fragrance and so I associate it with a younger man (I'm 30). I still think it smells ok but it's not something I'll ever buy again. It's a 'safe' fragrance and so not a classic for me.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Holy cow. I put this on in a department store and couldn't wash it off. I had to walk around so as to not offend myself. I had to tell my wife I would be walking around and while I was doing so she said "whatever you've just put on it's disgusting".

This was invented in the 80s and should have stayed there. Wearing this you walk into a room and *it* announces you. You leave but everyone remembers you because your scent is lingering. People in that room the next day will be thinking 'who earth was wearing that wretched scent'?

If I ever have the misfortune of getting a whiff of someone wearing this, my immediate thought would be 'what a self-absorbed, egotistical, attention-seeking <insert profanity here>'.

In case I haven't conveyed my opinion above: this is awful.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Having read the reviews on BN I really, really wanted to like this and bought it based on what I read here. It really does smell like a quality barber shop and is something I'd like sprayed on me after a haircut but wearing out? No thanks. After having worn it for an hour I was left with a very powdery, slightly nauseating scent which I had to wash off.

This was a lesson learned for me - try a fragrance first because, despite all the thumbs up, it might not be to your taste.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Seriously, seriously masculine and very, very sexy.

This is a weird one for me: I love it but I don't know why. I usually go for lighter, citrusy fragrances but there's something in this that's addictive. I look like a loon smelling myself all day if I've sprayed some on my clothes. I haven't smelled anything like it but it's the next one on the buy list.

Longevity is just absurd.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

This is a great summer scent which I occasionally wear to the office. It's also the most complimented fragrance I own. It's very fruity and I can certainly smell the mojito in it. Amusingly, with reference to Sporenburg's post, I own this and Allure and enjoy wearing both of them.

However, it's longevity is poor and I have to spray 6 or 7 times before work if I am to get anything which will last up to mid-morning. For this reason, I don't think I'll be buying another bottle once it's finished; I'll stick with Allure.

usemyname's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

This is awful. This was a blind buy as it is cheap. I tried it several times to no avail. This is a true stinker!

Wishing by Avon

I loved the smell of Wishihg.I agree with underglass,The Avon Scents of nowdays are nothing compared to the beautiful bottles and containers the fragrances came in. I do think that Avon need to take a long look at the productcs back then and bring back some of those magical fragranced days.

Unforgettable by Avon

I absoulutely adored Unforgettable.The scent was so pretty and had its pwn identity. I always felt feminine,and gorgeous. Its such ashame that Avon has become so,so, boring now.2010.

Somewhere by Avon

Another beautiful scent by Avon, I just loved the little pink jewelled jar that you could get it in and the talc. once again Avon has now lost its imagination 2010 the products now are dull.

Occur! by Avon

Fab, this scent brings back memories of my teen years at the disco.My friend once wore a lovelly babydoll dress and threw avon Occur talc all over herself and squirted Occur on her neck. Nowdays you would say thats too much ,but back then it was so fab to do this. Occur was so soulfull.

sheltiedad's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

There must be a French joke (on us hapless Americans) somewhere here.
    In US, you can only get the Concentrate version of this - which smells totally different.
    I bought my first bottle in Paris years ago and the scent was lovely. After the bottle was done, I rushed out and bought a bottle in a US department store. I was shocked to find out it smelled nothing like my first bottle - ending up giving it away. I went back to the store and tried the tester out - smelled exactly liked the original PM. Bought another bottle - yike - same story.
    These days, I buy PM at duty-free stores in airports whenever I am traveling in Europe or Asia.
    I especially love the drydown of the scent - reminds me of "sophisticated" baby powder. I also love that fact that the scent does not project much. Finally, the lovely scent lingers long on your clothes.