Fragrance Reviews from January 2011

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Sergio Tacchini by Sergio Tacchini

simply wonderful. Difficult to find the right words, but this one is perfectly fresh without being neither green or oceanic, the juxtaposition between sandalwood and styrax on one side and cedar and lime is a masterpiece.
    After 15 years having considered it good, I keep on the same opinon. Which is not the case for most of the perfumes around. It is definively a CLASSIC. EXCELLENT QUALITY AND MATERIALS TOO.

SirScent's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is obviously a well-made, rich fragrance.
    Although I cannot find a resemblance to the Original Kouros, it is a wonderful essence of it's own.
    Initial spray I get a chocolate-caramel vibe which in dry down becomes a light and tolerable anise note. Longevity is very good to excellent. I gree with the reviewer who noted this is a much easier to wear anise than Loilita Lempicka au Masculine.
    Although I find most gourmands too young for me, I think this can still be worn by the over 40 set on occasion.
    A thumbs up.

jimmyguo's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Angel by Thierry Mugler

If I were a dragqueen I would wear Angel, here's why:

FAAAAABULOUS-first-sniff-impression

It's 6' 4" tall (without heels)

It's so conspiciously feminine there's no question about who's the most FAABULOUS LADY in the house

Yet, it's suspiciously masculine - as Luca Turin sharply puts it, Angel has an adam's apple (that brilliant patchouli!)

Did I mention it's FABULOUS?

pearlfingering's avatar

White Ginger by Royal Hawaiian Perfumes

This is a fun little eau de cologne for the summertime that I use to refresh my white floral perfume. It has a nice cooling effect and a lovely spicy scent that is like tuberose and Florida water. My bottle came from eBay in a darling green and white box with a pink plastic lei inside, and I adore the stuff!

pearlfingering's avatar

Le Temps d'Une Fête by Nicolaï

This is my signature scent. I love narcissus in a perfume, and Chamade didn't quite do it for me, as lovely as it is. The Guerlain base is too sweet for my taste. There is the bitter galbanum up front that I loved in the original Vent Vert and Deneuve. But the labyrinthine complexity of this scent with seemingly no beginning or end is the mark of a truly great perfume and an unforgettable party.

SirSlarty's avatar

Essenza Del Tempo by Trussardi

A very pleasant fragrance. Fairly light, though. Has the same smooth citrus and unisex vibe as ck One and Ferragamo Tuscan Soul though the former is much brighter. Essenza Del Tempo puts some coffee beans in the base which smooths out any bright citrus. Nice to wear but not essential.

Grottola's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

How can I hate Chanel No. 5? That opening aldehyde blast and bouquet of balsamic flowers to me, is sweet - in a good way, sweet like honey. This is a perfume whose scent is instantly recognizable for me. While No. 5 isn't my favorite Chanel fragrance, I still enjoy it and find it pleasant, and it *is* a Chanel, so I really have no complaints. If I have a sweet tooth, I wouldn't reach for a "gourmand", I'd reach for this. It's comforting and delectable, but never cloying or unpleasant.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Ted by Ted Lapidus

Immediately upon application of Ted I recognized the general structure of Guess by Marciano for Men, which was released several years later. Ted smells incredibly similar, so for those who have tried Guess, conjure up the orange, ginger, amber, and spice and simply replace the orange with lemon and you'll have the idea. Whereas GbM would be largely considered the sensual date version of the two, Ted would be the all-around agreeable everyday scent, appropriate for everything, as it is more soft spoken yet equally persistent. These two are both linear and the whole picture can be seen right away, but this gives them incredible duration, and a very complete smelling drydown that lasts for many hours. Ted is an all around great scent for the money and I can't imagine anybody disliking it. I can't help but wonder why it isn't better known.

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

Cold, dry, very dry!!! like the Atacama desert, lot's of synthetic, metallic lime going on here, strange scent, not necessarily bad, and certainly not obvious, however doesn't smell real, I would classify it as odd, intriguing and way to artificial. Fixation is BAD, after two hours is completely gone of your skin, well at least on mine was like that.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Salty, VERY salty and dry, smells artificial, fortunately does not have any fixation power, I got this one as a present, and I have gave it away, NO REGRETS, btw! it's just a wrong scent that does not work!

mrclmind's avatar

Verbena by Caswell-Massey

Caswell Massey Verbena is a soliflore that truly smells like a cologne made from the crushed leaves of a fresh lemon verbena plant. There is no other note, nothing else to round out the composition. If you are looking for a true verbena single note scent that has better tenacity than other verbena colognes, you have found your grail here.

La Suedoise's avatar

Pink Sugar Sensual by Aquolina

Love this grown up version of a teeny boppy fragrance.
    Expected it to be just another pink trite bubblegum frag, but found it soft, soothing, and very pleasant. What a surprise!

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

L'Essence de Cerutti by Cerruti

Just when I thought it's all about soft, velvet leather (I think I already recognize Antoine Lie's approach to leather and fancy it a lot) , a fresh unmistakable mint toothpaste accord joined the party. Not in a playful way though. It's a serious, formal fragrance. Pepper jumps in here and there, also managing to be somehow velvety. All in all, L'Essence stays in the typical Italian designer frag territory like dozens of others. Formal in the demonstrative way. Frag that would make your suit look more expensive.

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Don't ge me wrong I like this one, however it's way to oriental, actually made to compete with JPG "Fleur du Male" Kenzo Power failed to deliver and l YET, on top that scent has some what girlish on it!, Sillage quite good, nevertheless, if is not wonderful YET, good Sillage makes it even worse, doesn't it?

11th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th January, 2011)

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

I like this one, definitely a summer's scent, Opening with a citrus cold bomb, that immediately warms up due to the ginger, and afterwards some extra spice notes create a very crispy smell, it's very fresh and clean like a Mojito and NOTHING LIKE the artificial bug's killer Dior Homme (The original)

11th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th January, 2011)

Shifty Bat's avatar

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Ever been decked by a boxing glove stuffed with herbs?
    The opening of Red is actually very green, and though I normally dislike taco mix cumin as a note I am quite impressed with its partnership with wormwood, here creating a fascinating dirty effect. I hear this one is packed with ingredients, and I don't know exactly what causes it to come off so sweet, but it certainly is sweet. It's a thick cluster of gritty, earthy herbs and spices, ambery leather, and red-tinged dry woods. The sheer manliness in Red seems to have trampled the florals in the heart, but not for the worse. This will either come off as utterly crass or curiously alluring depending on the wearer's bearing and self control.
    Side note: The recreation of Red by new owners Elizabeth Arden is heart-warmingly faithful to the original; it is only (perhaps thankfully) marginally less potent. Perhaps they feared repercussions from its fanatical devotees?

11th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 19th January, 2011)

dany06's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I've been on a hunt for soapy scents and I've heard this one is the king. Well, it doesnt smell like soap. I dont get expensive hotel bar of soap at all. It smells like that horrid I love love by Moschino. I havent smelled that stuff in over 4 years but Cologne smells just like it. I was hoping that it would smell more like Prada infusion d'homme (white soap bar+something mildy sweet).

In all honesty it is not a bad scent. I just dont particularly care for it. It is bright and I guess clean. I think of lime scented bubbles. From a distance it almost smells decent, but the closer I get the more I hate it. It is not something that I would put on my wrist or near my nose.

PCC1960's avatar

Driven Black by Derek Jeter

A smooth vetiver scent. Driven Black smells surprisingly good -- in the bottle and on the skin -- for an Avon product. But "for an Avon product" is a big qualifier. It lasts well for an Avon product too, but Avon scents are notoriously short-lived.

PCC1960's avatar

Driven by Derek Jeter

Nice clean marine scent. Very light. Smells surprisingly good, but does not last on the skin. Also, the scent does not last in the bottle.

Mario-K's avatar

Poland Poland

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I don't know, why I bought it... It's perfect scent for actor George Hamilton ;)
    Too many spices, too powdery and unfortunately it's lasts forever. It's pure Arabian Dream from the past...
    I already siold mine and now, I'm really happy...

From Smoke's avatar

Eau Lente by Diptyque

While delightful, "Eau Lente" seems more like a smell than a perfume.

The warm, spicy melange seems more like a room-spray or a pomander-- pleasantly fragrant, but not particularly connected to the skin.

The rich scent and the subtle yet lasting notes would seem to indicate a hight quality product, but the lack of a personal connexion makes this less interesting to me as a body fragrance.

hollyc's avatar

1000 by Jean Patou

God I love this! Won't try to break out the notes. Suffice it to say it's a massive chypre. Austere, grand, uncompromising and very womanly. Herbaceous and somewhat dry and bitter floral. Never boring, doesn't fade to some vanillic blandness (I'm sure that's not really a word!) The far drydown is animalic and civety. Very strong, but with civilized sillage, you won't knock people out, but you won't wonder if you remembered to put it on either. This is perfumery at its best and nothing else compares. Makes Chanel No. 5 look like a "wannabe". This review is for the EdP, which it looks like the morons at P&G have shelved as it's not listed on the Patou website and is getting very hard to find. I almost can't bear what has happened to the industry . . .

Flaconneur's avatar

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Bois d'Orage in two words, dank basement.

A. Homme's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

I don't have a lot to add to the previous reviews...I find this to be a fairly natural vetiver, but of the "fresh" variety. This is like the brooding Encre Noir's upbeat little brother.

What strikes me the most about this is the phenomenal depth and longevity it has for an EDC. A conservative application to the chest at 07:00 this morning is still going strong and smelling great at 9:25 PM. Not it's not a sillage monster, but if it wasn't printed on the bottle, I'd never believe that this was an EDC.

Summary: A great, long-lasting "fresh" vetiver fragrance, great for everyday wear. Great value considering its staying-power.

's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

beautiful, lasting, sensual, elegant fragrance. one of my absolute favorites. it's a complex fragrance with a warm vanilla/vetiver underneath everything else. base reminds me a little of fat electrician in feel. it never overpowers, but it's always present. really just fantastic.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Andy Warhol Montauk by Bond No. 9

Well I guess I'll be the first to review this, since Col's review is more of a rant.

I'm rather new to Bond fragrances, and thus far, unimpressed. Nothing has really blown my mind, and for the most part I've been disappointed. This one is no exception. I'm looking at the note pyramid and literally scratching my head here.

Basically what I get get is a citrus top, smells a little cheap since the alcohol comes through for the first minute or so. What's cool is you can smell your hand or arm and literally smell it developing before you, it will turn sweeter. I then get the blueberry note along with some sweet florals, but there is no honeysuckle to my nose. The final dry down is basically a linear version of the middle, floral, lightly sweet, and very faint; it goes on like this for up to 8 hours.

AnimaSola's avatar

Dunhill Pure by Dunhill

Very appealing linear fragrance. There are fresh and astringent notes with the underlying Dunhill sophistication that imbues all of its scents. Perfect for the dressy casual function.

distortech's avatar

Eau de Réglisse by Caron

The absolute beauty of this is astounding. The lemon verbena drenched top notes are truly delightful and mix wonderfully with the main star of the show - liquorice. The drydown is very close to the skin with an ever present light and woody patchouli softened further by a lovely ginger-vanilla and slight musk. This has quickly shot to the top of my list as my favourite liquorice scent.

Most certainly more masculine than feminine, but easily worn by both.

Highly recommended.

AnimaSola's avatar

Desire Blue by Dunhill

Luxurious and classy laundry detergent? Yes, and extravagantly fragrant. Blue radiance.

Punkasnunk's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Sticky Cake by Comme des Garçons

Hands down, one of my favorites. I receive so many compliments when I wear this.