Fragrance Reviews from January 2011

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Like Eau Sauvage and Signoricci, this is citrus and wood sophistication at its best. It is refined, understated and disarmingly seductive. Classic!

CleverDude's avatar
    CleverDude
    Colombia Colombia

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

In advance I apologize for my poor english.

Dune Homme is one of my fav fragrances of all time. Is very pleasant to wear and I receive a lot of compliments from female friends every time they smell it on me. I absolutely love this one.

So I disagree with those who say this fragrance smell like shoe polish. I should interpretate those opinions just as a matter of personal taste or a cultural stereotype based on some products well known commercially in their respective homelands; at least in my country most people would find this fragrance pleasant to smell.

The only thing I dislike from this fragrance is its low longevity; I think that the original Dune have been recently reformulated by Dior compared to older versions, whose fragrance used to be more intense and durable.

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

This is a very soft citrus and musk creation. It is understated, and not gender specific, but it does have a youthful air. It mellows down to a strikingly lovely citrus and wood fusion in the dry down.
    I do not understand the negative reviews of this unassuming beauty.

X-Centric by Dunhill

This is the only Dunhill fragrance that I've worn and not enjoyed. I bought it blind, and since it was Dunhill I thought it would be appealing to me. It has a weird and synthetically cloying smell, not unlike Burberry Touch and Kenzo colognes. A major disappointment.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Tiresomely sweet and monolithic.
    Vaguely aromatic, somewhat metallic, noisily synthetic and verging on the garish.
    No wood notes that I can detect.
    Nope. Can't find anything to commend here.

Envy for Men by Gucci

I used to have a bottle of this when it first came out. It is overly-sweet and cloying, but it is appealing, nonetheless. I don't remember using up the entire bottle, so I must have given it away. I would not go back to this one. The similar-smelling Carven fragrance is just as good as this, not a simulacrum, and a lot cheaper.

mrclmind's avatar
    mrclmind

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron

This is a very charming and extremely long lasting scent. Although it is meant to scent a bath, it is an EDT concentration and can be worn like any other fragrance. The top notes are a very soapy floral accord of lilac, rose, muguet and citrus. The middle notes are pure resin with a delicious accord of Oppopnax, Benzoin, Olibanum and Myrrh. The base notes lean toward the sensuous with an accord of Sandal, Cedar, ambergris, vanilla and musk (Caron often display some of the best musk accords in commercial perfumery).

This is a quirky little scent which starts off like lilac soap and ends up purring like the oriental tiger it is. RBdC has a reputation in several communities as being a lucky charm when worn. I can't say for sure how effective it is as an ingredient in magical rituals, but I do know that it makes my bathing ritual quite sublime.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

This is a loud, astringent and annoying fragrance. It is very strangely mixed, with the fresh and wood notes clashing and competing with each other. If the name Boucheron evokes sophistication, the fragrance betrays its namesake with a weird melange of incongruous elements ostensibly capturing olfactory brilliance. Silly ostentation.

Intimately Beckham Men by Beckham

Very nice. Smells sophisticated for a drugstore fragrance. A perfect balance of the spice, wood, and sweet essences.

cutypi's avatar
    cutypi

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I usually like Serge Lutens, but I had my druthers about whether or not anything could come close to Caron's Tabac Blond. This does not pay homage to the master piece but rather pisses all over it - literally. It starts off smokey and spicy and quickly turns into something extremely foul. This smells like cigarettes and urine. The top notes of tobacco smell like cigarette smoke and scratch my nose and the back of my throat as if I had dragged on one - and the middle and base notes turn into a very unpleasant smell of pee. I am not a fan.

cspetros's avatar
    cspetros

Jovan White Musk for Men by Jovan

My dad wore this in the early nineties. I remember he kept a bottle of it in the car, and I would get it out and use a tiny bit of it (slash type bottle) on the days he picked me up from school. It is definitely a "calm" fragrance, unlike it's older brother Jovan Musk. Though the bottle I own is nineties vintage, the frag itself is no longer discontinued, as I saw it recently in the fragrance department at a local K-Mart for not too much fundage.

Berg's avatar
    Berg

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Recently, a flight attendant walk passing through me. Long before we're crossing each other, she was reeking this stuff and I can sense it clearly..

Im not sure if she wear the man version or the woman version.. But one thing for sure, it definetely overapllied and bombed the entire plane as she walk around it..

Giving around 3 second of : aahh i wanna bite you, honey

than several minutes hangover of : ughh i can't stand it anymore, please go away, i'm begging you

Well I think it's quite good if not overapllied. Otherwise, you're becoming an active nuclear radiation everywhere you go, reeking this stuff.

perfaddict's avatar
    perfaddict
    Nigeria Nigeria

L'Essence de Cerutti by Cerruti

I really must say i am surprised that this frag hasn't had the exposure i believe it should here on BaseNotes.

This is a beautiful, mild, musky leather scent. Perhaps a leather for those who do not like strong leathers. It starts off with the published top-notes of bergamot and white pepper and mild cardamom, the the latter two adding a spicy piquancy to the citrus. This intro is sustained for a pleasantly long while before the leather, saffron and musk notes begin their symphony in among the other notes which i truly cannot make out. The saffron (perhaps in the heat of where i live) adds some sensual allure to the scent. At the dry down stage (+2-3 hours) the woody cedar note begins to make its voice heard in the still wonderful chorus.

LdC has respectable yet understated sillage that projects for quite a long while. I enjoy 8+ hours of LdC wafting off my skin without having to dig-in with my nose.

After 1881 and all its flankers, together with Image and Cerruti pour Homme, LdC is a brave new direction by Cerruti. I would hesitate to "age" it, knowing the snowball effect that has with us BaseNoters , but this frag may help bring a lot of us who knew the older Cerrutis (Nino Cerruti and Fair play) back to giving the brand more of the respect it deserves.

This may just be a good/great scent waiting to be given the accolades, IMO, i think it deserves. Or maybe i am just biased because i love this frag.

EDJA's avatar
    EDJA
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Arsène Lupin Voyou by Guerlain

Quite binary impresssion, but thumbs up anyway.
    Too woody at the start and too sweet in the middle, IMHO

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr

Cuir de Russie by Creed

The simplicity on Cuir de Russie is appealing for me. A vintage, straightfoward leather scent. The citrus notes seems to fade very fast on me, and I`m left with a soft vintage leather scent. It`s not so smoky on me as some mentioned above. At first, i get more of a leather aroma with a suede texture, and the smell makes me think of that great aroma you get when you buy good quality leather shoes. Something on it smells like wax or some product that you use to preserve your shoes, and on Cuir de Russie it gives a nice subtle salty aspect. Different from some vintage leathers, that seems strong and sometimes a little bit agressive, Cuir de Russie sounds relaxed, never getting too strong, but never fading completely. I usually don`t like the simplicity of some Creed scents, but as a leather fan i cannot resist to it.

Tarte Aux Myrtilles by Laurence Dumont

This fragrance is very true to its name - you can catch the whole blueberry pie, from the buttery crust to the sweet, dark and warm filling. At first I didn't like it at all... after a while I got completely hung. If used with parsimony it get lots of compliments - but don't overspray it, it can get offensive. It reminds me a lot of Chantal Thomass, but a little friskier.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

There's clearly something wrong in this - as far as my body chemistry goes. I absolutely wanted to like this, for I am a fan of big florals. Somehow, Agent Provocateur simply doesn't work with me. Is offensive to my nose and I get an animalic tone I really dislike. Very sad, because in the bottle - and I believe in someone else - smells great.

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

It is velvety, it is sweet, it is feminine. VERY feminine. It lingers too. I get a whole lot of tuberose, as if it is the baby girl of Fracas, with rosy cheeks and big blue eyes. Don't really get the melon, but the creme brule is there, but basically, yes, tuberose.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Yes, it is big... it can knock a bull down, is NOT to be overused or used in small spaces, hospitals, planes or work. It is very hard to get it, its noisy, loud and a little bit psychotic - but it is very lovable in small quantities, very feminine.

yeager4772's avatar
    yeager4772

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I remember my mum used to wear this scent, about...30+ years ago.
    Definitely a springtime fragrance. A flowers explosion and an amazing drydown.
    I think it is similar to Spring Flowers by Creed.
    Classy but not old, suitable for younger ladies, too.

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Favorite scent ever. I don't exactly know why. It starts out sweet, but not cloying -- definitely not like Angel or Princess. It's been described as toffee apples but it just doesn't smell that sugary to me. It's fresh, but not "fresh water-like" like Light Blue or Ralph. My favorite part is the cottony, musky dry-down that doesn't quite smell powdery or soapy but has a sort of detergent-like, clean feel to it. Simply amazing.

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

I was really disappointed when I first used my sample. It smelled like rubbing alcohol and strong synthetic apples and I could hardly smell the floral notes.
    Then I smelled it on a friend and decided to try it again. This time, I somehow fell in love with it and had to go get the full size. Now it smells fresh and fruity (like expected) and the magnolia really comes out. Over a few hours on my skin, it evolves into this light floral with just a touch of green apple. I have no idea what happened, but I just went from strongly disliking this to loving it in a manner of months.

lemonlemon

Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet (previously Miss Dior Chérie Blooming Bouquet) by Christian Dior

So. Much. Better. Than. The. Original.
    Lighter, but not as "green/fraiche" as l'eau. Just a lovely blend of flowers that has a similar dry-down as Dior Cherie but keeping the whole oozing caramel stuff at a minimal. My only complaint is that is Asia-limited and I'm terrified of ever running out.

Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture

The only Juicy product I like. It's considerably less tacky and Juicy-y than the other two. I smelled it on a friend and was completely taken by surprise when she said it was by Juicy, which I have always considered too pink, too velvety, too sugary and to be harsh, too dumb for my liking. Yet this one is just young, fun, and flowery.
    But if I ever buy it, I'm cutting off that giant hot pink bow everyone's raving about.

leogeee's avatar
    leogeee

Baume Du Doge by Eau d'Italie

I remember little cedar log cabins we kept incense cones in. That's what I smell like right now. (8 hours after applying). I can't say it's bad. It is what it says it would be. What was I thinking? If that appeals to you, I can assure you, it has staying power.

bonzo's avatar
    bonzo
    Germany Germany

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

fresh,aromatic aquatic-marine scent.
    simple,ordinary and clean scent that has a harsh note.synthetic and artificial.

bulgari is a wellknown great jeweller who has discovered the perfume market as a huge place to make money.following the mainstream , instead of creating a own perfume identity this company launches simple ,vulgar and ordinary scents. bulgari black was ok , bulgari pour homme average- nothing special....but aqua pour homme is such a disappointment- okay, van cleef and arpels launched perfumes too but first for women and van cleef and arpels pour homme are outstanding, complex and great scents.
    bulgari perfumes definitely do not meet my expectation and i would ask them either to stick to jewelry or start to compose a perfume. i am very sorry, but aqua reminds me of a cheap shower gel or a toilet cleaner of a drugstore.what is going on?take a sniff of cristalle, vent vert (original),diorella , Y, -yes , these are clean and fresh perfumes too but you never won´t forget them.....

Bonoanimoes's avatar
    Bonoanimoes
    Netherlands Netherlands

Kenzoair Intense by Kenzo

Exotic Scent, TOP NOTES are - caraway, anise and bergamot; MIDDLE NOTES are - tahitian vetiver and angelica; BASE NOTES are - amber, white woods and vetiver.
    Sillage is descent, it's spicy, woody, dry, Masculine, projects it very well.
    Yong, trendy, masculine, daily wear, age ranging from 20 till 40 years old. NOT AN OBVIOUS scent!

ladymorrigan's avatar
    ladymorrigan
    Netherlands Netherlands

Pure Poison Elixir by Christian Dior

I have nothing to complain with this perfume, its quite longlasting and stronger then the original wich faded away sooner, gorgeous perfume!

Smell's good's avatar

Overall 9/15

silkystar's avatar
    silkystar

Halle Pure Orchid by Halle Berry

Based as total newbie, it is a very intense flowery fragrance that lingers through the day.