Fragrance Reviews from January 2011

kroese's avatar
    kroese

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Sean (Ireland) described Vol de Nuit wonderfully. I use the perfume for years now. Sometimes I try something else, but quickly return to the lovely scent of Vol de Nuit. When the first notes faded away, it reminds me of warm sand in summertime.

neo_the_1's avatar
    neo_the_1

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

This is kinda dark,mysterious,sophisticated,calming,green[not good at describing notes,but thats what I think of when I smell this],little bit powdery cologne and on the contrary to the other reviewers I get atleast 10 hours out of it[even in winter] and still can smell it unless I don't take a shower.
    I love this one,can be used as signature scent,I loved it from the very first sniff.
    Very unique one.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

2000 Fleurs by Creed

Infusions of a myriad flowers all rolled into a bottle and shaken up with a fruity accent - melon, I think .Magnolia,rose,lilac,jasmine,iris, jonquil,amber,musk are the notes but I swear to you that melon is in this scent. The amber isl ight and airy ,the musk is subtle and chic. It's modern and rich in its own way . This is not a loud floral fragrance but one that weaves a little mystery when you wear it.
    Lasting power is quite good and there is decent sillage for a perfume that is so subtle in character. This is my first bottle of 2000 Fleurs but it won't be my last.

Francop's avatar
    Francop

Gold by Donna Karan

Fantastic fruity and fresh long lasting unisex scent; perfect for any time of the day or year when you want to stay happy and cheery...

Big Thumbs up...!!!

Graceless's avatar
    Graceless

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I have a lot of difficulty finding scents that I like, and have been seduced by too many top notes to count. Invariably I leave a perfume hall quiet happy with the ones I chosen to try on my wrists, only to find myself hours later scrubbing my wrists and throwing my clothes in the wash to purge the smell. Sadly a lot of base notes out there knock me sick and dizzy.

However, Infusion D'Iris has changed my world! I thought I'd only be able to wear perfume in the evenings, but in Infusion D'Iris I have found an all day scent.

It's clean and fresh without being sharp or acidic. Soapy without the soft powder smell, and most importantly for me it's a delicate and elegant floral without being girly, matronly or sweet. All in all, it's a joy to wear and lifts my spirits.

It does wear very close to the body after the first half an hour, and I imagine if you smoked (or lived in a smoking household) you would lose the smell entirely after a couple of hours. However, as a non-smoker I can still smell it on me well into the evening.

Postumo's avatar
    Postumo

Déclaration by Cartier

Outstanding classy fragance. A bargain for its price, niche in its spirit.
    Thumbs up well deserved for this JC Ellena's creation. Maybe it's not a fragance for everyone but it's top quality and lasts seriously. When i wear it, i only have positive comments.

Postumo's avatar
    Postumo

Belle d'Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Very watered down version of the original opium... maybe nice for actual market of fresh and soft fragances.
    No character or personality, no longevity, no sillage.... what do we have? another generic female fragance for the mass market.

SirScent's avatar
    SirScent

Brit for Men by Burberry

The first spray always reminds me of paper-not cheap paper but the kind you would find in a high end stationary store.
    Then nutmeg and cedar and very light woods.
    I find no citrus or florals at all.
    All too soon it's a faded memory.
    If the longevity were better this would be a favorite.
    Still enough for a thumbs up as it is pleasant for the short life it projects.

TropiRock's avatar
    TropiRock

L'Occitan by L'Occitane

L'Occitane seems to have the knack at developing high-quality fragrances at reasonable prices. L'Occitan EDT Pour Homme is no exception. I really like this fragrance. It's a totally pleasant, non-offensive and masculine fragrance that stays close to the skin, but with above-average longevity. Quiet, understated and, well, just nice. I like unique colognes (the ones that you will seldom smell on anyone else) and this also fits neatly into that category. Good opening, nice transition through the middle, then settling into a soft, cedar-ish drydown with a hint of tonka. Cedar isn't listed among the notes on the L'Occitane website, but I'd swear it's in there - or maybe some close relative. A few earlier reviewers were kind enough to post the notes, but here they are once more:

Top Note: Lavender, Black pepper
    Middle Note: Nutmeg, Cinnamon
    Base Note: Tonka Bean, Musk

The review by manicboy is great and captures my perceptions to a "T". Read that particular review about 3 times and you will capture the essence of L'Occitan. (Really good job, manicboy!)

Just one footnote, as a few others have mentioned: the photo here on basenotes is incorrect and is a different L'Occitane product. L'Occitan EDT PH is in a purple box and the bottle has a purple label. Wouldn't want anyone to pick up the wrong parfum if they were to visit one of the L'Occitane en Provence shops.

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Try before you buy. I love leather in a perfume..I'm fond of spices too. This one is not a success for me against my expectations. It's cinnamon + leather + attempt at oddness via gasoline fume opening. All on a block of sweet. I think the candy spice part of it is what is killing it for me. It just doesn't coalesce on my skin to an animal of grace and beauty.

Geldachron's avatar
    Geldachron
    Netherlands Netherlands

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I tried layering this with Opium today becouse I thought it would go well together. It does actualy. Although they do not blend in as one single fragrance. They just are separate fergrances that just go well together.

On it's own a nice fragrance aswell.

mantras revenge's avatar
    mantras revenge

Alice by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

ahh alice. surprisingly not a sweet smelling perfume. you have to love roses to enjoy this one. Out of the tester it is full round rosy goodness with a hint of spiciness at the edges. On, it has a pleasant amount of throw and lasts 2 hours on my wrists. I don't find it morphs at all on me which i do enjoy in a perfume - so missing that characteristic but a very nice relaxing casual scent.

Mar Azul's avatar
    Mar Azul
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Givenchy Gentleman has since some time became for me a reference "vile patchouli" smell. This strange note which I still find hard to believe belongs to a flower, is neither dry/earthy nor burnt-sugary as in other patchouli creations. Instead, it smells like some kind of liquid leather, warm and alive. More like wet animal than wet soil. First I hated it, then i started to appreciate it and have worn it so far 2 times in public. It's by all means easily memorable, especially when you smell it from close distance.
    Now imagine Givenchy decided to make subsequent flankers of Gentleman the same way they did with other frags: first they water it down and remove the civet, calling it Gentleman Eau Legere. Next year they add rose and call it Gentleman Eau Legere Rose Harvest. Finally they come up with Gentleman Eau Legere Rose Harvest - Green Attitude.
    That would be Voleur de Roses. The initial opening blast is wet, a bit oily and nearly pungent for a while, settling down to a dark yet fresh rose and patchouli combo with the addition of earthy and a bit creamy green notes which I think I recognize in the recent Nuit de Tubereuse. I always thought I was indifferent to roses but this is the second rose fragrance I really appreciate, first being Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. Realy nice.

mantras revenge's avatar
    mantras revenge

Eden by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

mmmm this is a yummy scent. yes it is an edible but very interesting. At first smell it is a sweet almost sugary figgy smell but more like fresh fig than dried. Wet it is soft and sweet. drying down it becomes more matures and gives a powdery throw.

TropiRock's avatar
    TropiRock

Ungaro I by Ungaro

Ungaro I, in a word, is refined. A bit dark, some might say because of the strong wormwood note, but stately and elegant nonetheless. Here's a replay of the notes:

Top notes: Lavender, Pine, Bergamot
    Heart: Patchouli, Wormwood, Precious Wood, Jasmine, Geranium
    Base: Sandalwood, Tonka, Honey, Amber

It opens with a definite citrus/booze introduction, but the bergamot (citrus) fades fairly quickly. Gratefully, I don't smell one trace of the opening pine note. ( Pine, in these nostrils, equals Not Good.) Darker notes begin to emerge (thanks to the wormwood and, probably, the geranium) and the wormwood remains into the drydown. I do get just a hint of amber, but I'm not a big amber fan and so the "hint" is okey dokey by me. Sillage is good and longevity is also good.

Very nice fragrance from Ungaro, but probably not so much for young guys. Ungaro I has been discontinued for some time, so any stock which might be floating around the world is now commanding premium prices. Ungaro III is superb, more powerful than Ungaro I, and is readily available. I sense little connection between the two, other than sharing the connective name. I haven't yet had a chance to try Ungaro II.

danielabeatriz's avatar
    danielabeatriz
    Brazil Brazil

Vintage Soul by Curve by Liz Claiborne

I'm getting annoyed of this fragrance... at first I like it, but... i don't know, I think the patchouli in it is wearing off... It's not bad, but whenever I use it I remember why it took me so long to wear it again.

Rüssel's avatar
    Rüssel

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

The smell of a middle aged, sweaty, 70's couple with hair in all the wrong places getting it on in a cheap hotel room, using amber coloured toys. The smell of their Obsession hits you in the hallway.

The smell of a leather faced teacher massaging the shoulders of a young student when looking at her test sheet. She could smell him approaching minutes before, smelling his Obsession.

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

Labyrinthe Libertin by Le Prince Jardinier

Notes:
    Bergamot, Mint, Thyme, Artemisia, Basil, Marigold, Orange Flower
    Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Violet, Cedar, Vetiver, Iris
    Brazilian Rosewood, Box Leaves, Amber, Musk.
    A very complex perfume indeed, maybe a little more feminine than unisex, but any man could easily pull it off.
    Jasmine is the dominant note throughout the whole development, it hits you from the get go and would not budge, so definetly for jasmine lovers, but the other flowery notes play a fantastic supporting role to the main character. The drydown is good, but nothing out of this world. Longevity is mediocre.
    It is a delicate yet complex perfume that would please most people. Does not have the character needed to be a signature perfume, but I bet that if it is in your rotation you will resort to it frecuently.
    Although maybe weak, but thumbs up regardless

LucasKane's avatar
    LucasKane
    Netherlands Netherlands

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Very nice indeed! All the notes are very well implemented and identifiable. The transition from top to base is beautiful. The minty citrus opening is exactly what I need in the morning. After half an hour the middle notes kick in. This is the best part. Still fresh but also unlike any other fragrance in its genre. It must be the rhubarb which sets it apart. It has very good sillage as well. I once got a compliment 5 hours after applying. The base reminds me somewhat of GIT (maybe Ambergis?) with some extra vanilla. This along with GIT is one of my favorites for the office in Summer.

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

Chymara by Body Shop

Save for the somewhat tart opening, Chymara could be a unisex fragrance. The amber, woods, and praline all come up from the base and basically dominate the fragrance for most if its life on my skin. These notes, when combined, make Chymara smell like a somewhat oriental / gourmand, like there's a chocolate note in there as well. But this is just as masculine as Angel Men or Rochas Man, and therefore I see it as a suitable unisex. Decent longevity and sillage.

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Mea culpa, forgive me Fragrance Father, for I have sinned. I originally wrote a scathing review of "Y" because after briefly sampling both vintage EDT and vintage parfum, I found the scent to disappear very quickly on my wrist. And this is true: After some gorgeously elegant green and fruity top notes, the scent seems to vanish, even in the strongest parfum concentration. But I reacted too soon with disappointment. The truth is, I do get soft wafts of it coming up from my wrist at random times, and when I do I am very bewitched and entranced. The drydown, light as it is, is a lovely whisper of rose, civet, and a bare hint of patchouli, set against an oakmossy chypre base. I can forgive "Y" for drying quickly down to such a subtle state, because the gentle caress of this beauty is all the more precious for its illusory nature. Sublime is the word. Chypre lovers, this is a must-try. Just be patient with it: Like the rare event of a butterfly landing on your shoulder, bask in the precious, fleeting moments of this perfume's perceptibility.

13 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2011)

digger51's avatar
    digger51

Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Cologne pour le Soir is a sweet woodsy scent with honey and vanilla mixed in. It was suggested to me by the SA at Bloomingdale's and I tried it because she was sure it would be something I liked. I put it on my forearm because I already had Acqua Di Parma Colognia Intenzia everywhere else. From the moment I put it on I could not stop smelling it. This is really amazing. I love that it is woodsy but sweet at the same time. I got a sample just to wear it another day and be sure that It was not just my mood that day. I have worn it twice since and this one has become my favorite. I will always have a bottle of this one on hand.

13 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st February, 2011)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Zegna Colonia by Ermenegildo Zegna

Generic, simple and watery. It starts as a citric, slightly flowery, woodsy, lime based scent and slides in to a warmer but still sunny and airy clean juice, casual and easy. A touch of benzoin and spices give a whiff of texture and motion to a stuck woody base. The sillage is pale. A drop in the olfactory ocean.

13 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2011)

Fred360's avatar
    Fred360

Costume National Homme by Costume National

Cinnamon was the most pervasive for my novice nose.

On second wearing I detect clove as well. It's a pleasant blend that is intertwined to be almost indistinguishable, but I am not sure about the dry-down which reminds me of vanilla, even though that is not listed in the notes. Is it the labdanum which reminds me of vanilla?

13 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 June, 2011)

Mink & Pearls by Jovan

This is a deeply animalic chypre. The fragrance smells sophisticated yet is roughened by very conspicuous castoreum and nitro-musks, making this a very animalic, leather chypre. I normally don't like leather chypres: I can't stand Jolie Madame, Cabochard, etc. but for some reason I enjoy Mink & Pearls. It has a warmth in the floral heart which combines nicely with the raunchy animalic notes. If you enjoy Intimate by Revlon, you might also like Mink & Pearls.

13 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 December, 2011)

Jovan Woman by Jovan

If you want to get technical, Jovan Woman is an oriental. But the scent definitely has the spirit of chypre all over it, even if technically it does not fit into that most precisely defined of fragrance categories (i.e. chypre = bergamot + labdanum + oakmoss). This is a very unique scent and very pretty. It begins with an unimpressive blast of hairspray, but over the course of half an hour or so, settles into a beguiling and distinctive warm, soapy rosey, woody scent of woman. It is a complex and bewitching scent, and it smells unlike anything else out there. I usually favor vintage Chanel, Dior, Lanvin, Guerlain, etc. but this little cheap drugstore beauty is one that I always have on hand.

13 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2013)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A bombastically creamy/syrupy but at once temporarily icy-lamellar patchouli. Honey at the beginning. Love or hate it? The evaluation is neutral for me. I can't say to hate this scent at all and i can almost appreciate the boldness of its patchouli and its metal accord of mint and lavender. The problem is that this fragrance is too sweet and tasty to play its chards in terms of classic masterpiece. Too high is the risk many could perceive it as a cloying or off putting stuff. The sillage is impressive. A*Men exhibits the internship code for the clan of notorious synthetically yummy and bombastically gourmand scents around. It exudes an artificially mentholated and balsamic kind of darkness .This types of scents were and are still very fashionable among teenagers raving on discos and parties, are outrageous and bully but they miss the genuine and natural sophistication of the classics. A*Men is basically patchouli surrounded and mellowed by honey, coffee, chocolate  and watery artificial mint in my opinion. Citric elements, wood, lavender, tonka bean, patchouli and musk anchor A*Men to the manly olfactory universe preventing that to fly towards the gluttonous world of the delicacies by its abominable "breakfast type of" accord. The longevity and the sillage are powerful. To be worn exclusively on minus ten degrees fahrenheit, night time or possibly while going to a trendy and cool club accompanied by a 20 years old funny boaster teen girl.

13 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2014)

Backstrom19's avatar
    Backstrom19

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This is a fabulous fragrance. It is an incredibly unique fragrance and I personally have smelled nothing like it. It is a very interesting take on a mossy-green fragrance. It is very clean, very mossy, and, even has a petroleum smell. Some people even go as far as to say that it is a gasoline smell. For me, the top has a very clean, crisp, dark, petroleum feel. Also I get a tiny hint of citrus (Lemon I believe) and it also has a mossy-green feel, as I already mentioned. As it dries down, it becomes slightly softer and less harsh and less offensive. In the dry- down I get a lot of musk, and sandalwood, which gives me a very dark, nutty vibe. It is a very masculine fragrance and most likely geared towards older gentleman. I have also seen people classify it as a sexy fragrance. Longevity and projection are phenomenal. I do tend to get a good deal of compliments when I wear this as well. The best thing about this particular fragrance is that you will get noticed. When you wear this fragrance, you will not smell like anyone else. You will demand attention and respect. All this is just what I have come to expect from the classic known as Fahrenheit. It is still selling well, even though it has been out since 1988, which means it has a lot of repeat buyers. Make no mistake, there is a lot of love for Fahrenheit, and for good reason too.

Indie_Guy's avatar
    Indie_Guy

Sentiment for Men by Escada

I was surprised to see the negative review of this one.

Escada Sentiment Pour Homme starts off like an Aqua di Gio gone tropical and then warmed over with red-hot candies. I find this to be a fantastic fresh scent to wear in cold and hot weather alike. I don't get a lot of vetiver here, but I wouldn't really want an overbearing vetiver note in this kind of scent anyway.

This isn't a scent that I can write a lot of purple prose about. It just smells really good to my nose. Very underrated.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

MPH by Washington Tremlett

I struggle with this one. I want to like it. I like fougeres. At times MPH has interesting elements, but at other times I'm challenged to find something good to say.
    In a nutshell, the patchouli is an obstacle and the vanilla verges on deal-breaker.
    The scent starts with a pronounced clove note. As is often the case with cloves, the note alternates between a cool, airy style and something sweet and piercingly aromatic. Much the time, this phase suggests either barbershop or a formal and freshly-pressed white shirt. Even here, there are troublesome foreshadowings of the vanilla note. More and more, a very tangy brown patchouli note emerges. By the way, the only thing "green" about this scent is the bottle. It is always some variation on a brown scent. The patchouli is not really attractive to me but in and of itself is not obnoxious. The vanilla always keeps threatening to overwhelm, but never quite does that.
    Secret here (for me) is a microscopic application and a lot of patience. Many hours later, the drydown is acceptable and somewhat enjoyable.
    In summary, this has three notes which are very low on my totem pole: clove, patchouli, and vanilla. At times it is rather sweet. If even slightly over-applied, it becomes oppressive on my skin.
    On the plus side, the scent is well-made, not synthetic, classy in its own way.
    My reservations are due entirely to me not liking the particular elements. But the scent, as a construct, is well done and has great longevity. Hence my neutral rating.