Fragrance Reviews from January 2011

AnimaSola's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Is this the most popular fragrance for young people ever? For a while that seemed to be the case. It is a semi-attractive scent that was very hyped and exceedingly overrated, especially by department store salespeople on commission. An agreeable, but entirely forgettable olfactory affair.

Benj's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

This starts with a shrill, extremely bright, clean, slightly green lemon, not a spicy or baked lemon or a lemon mixed with other things, just a lemon being smashed in your face while lying in some grass on the edge of a forest. Comparisons will undoubtedly be made to hot lemon towels or, less flatteringly, cleaning products, but I personally like it a lot, it comes on very fresh.

For those who don't like the very lemony start, it dies down quickly, and after less than an hour you're essentially into the long drydown that defines and really makes this fragrance. I don't know how much oakmoss is in this, but the drydown really is exceptionally mossy, with quite powdery wood (the cedar comes through a lot) and the residual citrus notes lifting it up. This is not an ultra-long lasting fragrance. I get about 5 good hours out of it, but less is common. But this isn't supposed to be a beast, and as it dies away it leaves nothing nasty behind, no slightly rancid won't-go-away single vanilla note or smoke or harsh wood, just soft powdery moss until you can't quite tell whether it's the perfume or just your skin. And to me, that is how perfumes should die: gracefully.

This was my epiphany perfume, the one that started it all off for me.

Benj's avatar

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

Ok, I love fig. And this is hands down the truest fig I've smelled. Many other perfumes use it as a note of varying dominance, but always surrounded by other narcissistic smells that, to my mind, hide its beauty. And the fig you find in perfumes is so often the overripe, sickly sweet almost baked fig that, frankly, I could take or leave.

This fragrance is an encounter with a fig tree in slow motion. The very top smells extremely strongly of fig leaves and the outer skin of the fig itself, just verging on ripeness. There is no comparison to make with another scent - it's just the smell of the outside of a freshly picked fig. As it evolves, it becomes sweeter (that's you biting into the fig), and the largely subordinate cassis might peek out at you, but this is really all about the fig. To me, this never becomes sickly, but it is true that the greenness that tempers the sweetness dies down somewhat over time.

HOWEVER, this isn't much more than that - if you're looking for a complicated, abstract fig, this is probably not for you. I wear this because I love fig, but unless you're crazy about fig, this is unlikely to be a real winner.

I spent 6 weeks working in Greece and would pick figs from the trees at the side of the road on my way out every morning. Smelling this took me straight back there - incredible.

Bonoanimoes's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

What a nice surprise, this scent is really crispy and clean.
    I have found it (The opening) very similar to Friends - Moschino, due to the dry limes, however it develops very quickly in some lovely fresh coriander smell, on regards to the basenotes I could definitely smell some wood, cedarwood I suppose, No vanilla traces have been noticed whatsoever, ATTENTION this fragrance is definitely NOT sweet.
    Classy, simple, transparent and clean, interesting, sillage is reasonable, could be better, definitely much more refine that Friends from Moschino.
    Summer fragrancy, no questions about it!

14 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2011)

Bonoanimoes's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Body Kouros is a very modern scent, and is such an interesting fragrance.
    Opening is sweet, however dry down is woody, good projection + sillage quite reasonable.
    I would recommend this one to be worn on an especial occasion, WARNING, scent is VERY sexy

14 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2011)

fox41's avatar

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

What a great fragrance! I really see the amber and vanilla come togethe10- r. It isnt sweet either but instead has a slight wood note to make it darker if you caught my drift. The amber is amazing and the scent last throughout the day 8-10 hours... sprayed it on my jacket and it still smells a day later. Also just wondering if anyone thinks it smells a little like playdoh... havent smelled playdoh in a while but from memory it smells sorta like it. Definitely a try if you like amber and vanilla. The one thing i dont like on this is the strong beginning but i can live with it because the dry down is amazing.

14 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2011)

RUDOLFO512's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This fragrance is one of my all time favorites. I bought it two years ago, and I have been wearing it since. It lasts a very long time on me and people are always asking me what I am wearing.

14 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2011)

jasonsicilia's avatar

Aventus by Creed

It is a very fruity fragrance with a pineapple /orange /tangerine blast to it.A very clean fresh scent!! It does grab a lot of complements from women of all ages more than any other CREED that I ever wore. It also lasts very long. about 10 hrs. The dry-down that I get consists of a grapefruit peel with rose and smokey vanilla accord. However you still can smell the top notes at times. It may not be as complex as some other CREEDS but still unique.. I consider it to be a more of a casual frag that can be worn during any season. I will leave it by saying that I love it !! and so do the women !!! Defiantly going to be in my wardrobe with Bois du Portugal!!

14 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2011)

Kaern's avatar

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Sporenburg has a point here. I haven't tested L'Eau on my skin yet, but have smelt on a strip. It reminded me of when you first open the washing machine and the, not unpleasant, soapy clean blast that hits you (without the heat). Of course, a lot of water softeners and washing up powders use the same notes and oils that are found in perfumes, albeit on a cheaper scale. I think L'Eau is trying to reach out to a wider audience, so they couldn't really produce another 'Datura Noir' or 'Cedre' and it is a bit disappointing -- it's indicative that a perfumer is not listed. I just hope Lutens has the balls to revert to their more innovative manifesto and not get dragged into the 'perfume vacuum' like Chanel, Dunhill, Dior, Gucci, Davidoff, Boss et al.

Update 7th July 2011
    This was on sale at Les Senteurs for £35 for 100ml -- so snapped it up. Having now worn it for a day (it could have easily been 2 -- amazing longevity), I must admit it does have some generic nuances -- I'm thinking Calvin Klein for some reason, but it always manages to pull itself away and show some class. So, innofensive and not very original, but a delight to wear.

14 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 July, 2011)

Swanky's avatar

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

Yet another vanilla-sweet men's fragrance...oh, goody!

By no means does this smell bad, but the juice smells (and looks) suspiciously like D&G's 10 La Roue De La Fortune.

Returning to this fragrance recently, I perceived more of the spices, which elevate this a bit above the rabble. It's not as sophisticated as it thinks it is, but not a bad choice especially for the younger man who is looking to transition from teenybopper fare like Curve to more substantial scents.

14 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2011)

purplebird7's avatar

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

If you love green Chypres like I love green Chypres, run, don't walk, to try a sample of this. In a market where like-minded "meh" frangrances abound, here's one that stands out. Dominant notes smell like evergreen boughs, dry pepper, woody violets (ionones), and woody amber. I thought they quit making perfumes like this after they pushed the original Miss Dior into the background and gave her name away to the ho-hum fruity Cherie version. What a relief to find something this new, this good. Longevity is not as good as I would like for a perfume that costs $125 for 50 ml, but it probably has a high percentage of top-note heavy, natural ingredients that disappear shortly. Can't be helped, so don't expect day-long sillage. Worth a splurge to have a bottle. Ravishing.

14 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2013)

Darvant's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

A legend, one of the greatest fougère ever created, my departed Dad’s eternal fragrance, sharp, herbal/sour but even exotic, bold and charismatic at once. It is timeless and projects a sort of fresh and insolent sort of left back glorious sensuality. Masculine and daring with a wonderful sillage. The top notes are herbaceous, spicy and aromatic due to basil, anise, lavender, petitgrain, citrus and sage. The geranium takes part to the ceremony in order to tame the drought and refine up that liquorice-watery accord which many talk about. The initial rough spicy blast, losing soon the turbo but not the balsamic aroma, slides soon in to a woody, virile, coniferous accord projected by herbs, citrus and woods as vetiver, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood, cardamom and juniper berries. The base is woodsy, elegant and invigorating by musk and ambergris, tonka, oakmoss and a touch of leather. You can easily notice this unique scent whirling in the air, turning on your back you’ll detect a sweetly smiling fascinating "man of the two worlds", you could notice the Caracas's white buildings and the high walls of Kremlin painted in his eyes.

14 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2014)

digger51's avatar

Chaps Weekend Men by Chaps [Ralph Lauren]

awful, I could not wait to get it off my hand!

digger51's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Great name, nice bottle, but it does not deliver. It just does not smell good.

Tonka Impériale by Guerlain

There's aspects of Tonka Imperiale that I enjoy, and aspects I don't. I find it to be a realistic interpretation of dessert, more precisely french pastry. I can almost smell the crusted flakes and whipped cream. It also has the most pronounced dessert cherry note I've smelt in a fragrance, derived from the bitter almond note.

As much as I find it interesting, well blended, and composed of quality ingredients, I find it far too sweet and heavy to enjoy. As if you're in a pie eating contest, and down to the last bite, but all you want to do is vomit. You have to be an extreme sweet tooth to really enjoy Tonka Imperiale.

TropiRock's avatar

Eau des 4 Voleurs by L'Occitane

Actually, I bought this one by mistake. I thought the name was Eau des 4 VOYEURS. Time to get those eyes checked.

Of course I'm joking! This is another superb, creative fragrance from L'Occitane, and a wonderful value. (Make that "WAS" a wonderful value - Ed4V has sadly been discontinued.) The opening notes are a rush of citrus (bergamot and lemon), wrapped around a little soapiness which is probably oak moss, and a hint of basil. The citrus fades rather quickly, leaving in its place a nice green, soapy, woodsy fragrance. Beautiful and clean. A little herbal, but not so much as, say, a few of the MPG fragrances. Just a touch! I really enjoy this one, but use it very infrequently because I doubt that I'll ever be able to replace it and so I'm conserving my one lone bottle. One final thought: other reviews have mentioned a pine note, but I don't smell even a trace of pine. Can't stand pine. I think the evergreen notes are more likely a combination of the clove, cedar and juniper. Eau des 4 Voleurs has good sillage, but not outlandish. Longevity on my skin is all day. I'm very fortunate to own this little masterpiece.

N_Tesla's avatar

Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942

I have worn Nobile 1942 Patchouli for about ten hours today and here are my findings. First, this Italian niche patchouli is IMO not head shop material, but rather urbane, sophisticated, warm, Amberly with a touch of tobacco illusion, patchouli, that has good longevity, moderate projection and makes me feel totally debonair in regards to its wearing. So, this begs the question; will I be wearing this regularly in the rotation and adding it to my wardrobe? Yes, and yes! Do I recommend this fragrance? Absolutely yes! If you note some excitement in my penning of this mini review, that observation would have merit.

scentsitivity's avatar

Aoud Leather by Montale

I enjoy this one. It is far more a leather scent than an aoud fragrance (actually, I didn’t really get much aoud here, but I didn’t care), being similar to Tom Ford’s Tuscan Leather, but without the harsh impression that Tuscan Leather (particularly the opening) has to me. It also reminds me of Clive Christian’s ‘c’ for Men, but not as complex (and certainly more affordable). I like it. However, I will state I received negative comments when I wore it to work: something that doesn’t happen too often.

cheryl's avatar

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

I probably have a semi-modern iteration. This is a kind of cheap and cheerful thing, maybe some would say trashy. It reads young and fun to me. The opening is the thrill; a big peachy and peach skin kiss. Then if you concentrate maybe you can pick out a cinnamon musk. There are no depths here or counter notes. For about 10 minutes something ALMOST happens on the skin..like a lick of dryness or salt....but this fades out. That's it folks, a short-lived carnival ride in a big sweet peach.

N_Tesla's avatar

Gourmandises by Keiko Mecheri

I love gourmands so, sweet is OK by me, but this fragrances is foremost, IMO, rose. Restrained rose, cold rose with a lovely, also restrained goumet medley playing support in a really not too sweet fashion. Delicate, cold, a little aloof and a bit unsubstantial, but I find Gourmandises keeps beckoning, just one more sniff.

odysseusm's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I'm a bit grumpy about the BN notes.
    "Pink bay" ??? perhaps pink pepper and bay leaf (laurel).
    Papyrus wood ??? Papyrus is derived from a stalk or reed.
    Orris rhizome ??? Duh, yes, orris root is a rhizome. Kinda redundant.
    Grumbles aside...
    Not bad at all. Clean, smooth. Pepper and ginger, hint of dusky laurel.
    The spices here are really nice, subtle yet oh so interesting and suave.
    Cool and warm at the same time.
    Not sweet, although it is substantial.
    Not heavy, although it is a homage to the 70's.
    Worth checking out. I'm gonna think about this one...
    PS - reminds me a bit of the marvelous and sadly discontinued Jil Sander Man Original Pure.

Grottola's avatar

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

After looking at the previous reviews of Red for Men and seeing the praise around the forums here on Basenotes, when I finally got myself a bottle I figured that the ones praising Red for Men must be talking about the old formulation, or maybe we just have different noses.

Regardless, I did approach Red for Men with an open mind, and managed to snag a bottle of the current formulation at TJ Maxx for a good price. Well, excuse me for being flaccid, but all I smell is just a big powdery spice bomb. The opening is a spicy, powdery obnoxious floral opening that surely boasts all kinds of stuff, but it doesn't impress me. As it dries down I get a pronounced Cumin note that I actually can tolerate, which is rare as Cumin is probably my least favorite fragrance note. Anyway, this stuff just stays a powdery spice bomb on me for most of its life and projects like a beast as well. And yes, it does last a while. Sorry guys, but if I want a powdery floral fragrance for men, I'd just as soon reach for Tiffany for Men.

odysseusm's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I'm giving this a thumbs-up for its distinctiveness and style. It certainly is different from most of what's on the market.
    Brrrr! What a chilly scent! And kinda quirky.
    A cup of cold black tea left standing in a lonely dark room.
    A tinny, metallic note with hints of spice.
    Dark thoughts, somewhat sad regrets. Not a scent to induce cheerful feelings.
    Introspective and melancholy. Abandoned hopes echoing in shuttered corridors...

How interesting!

terry81's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I would place ADG together with Issey Miyaki and CK One category. However, ADG will be placed for the lowest intensity out of the 3.

If you into airy, watery scent, this is a must for you. It is not overpowering and does not give me headache like CKone and does not smell sourish like Issey Miyaki.

It is a very light frag but thats meant to be.

Lyric Man by Amouage

Lyric Man is the most surreal interpretation of rose I've smelt in any fragrance. Not only do you get the rose petals, but the green steam with thorns. This in itself would have been an interesting fragrance, but Amouage made it even more amazing by loading it with exotic notes of saffron, silver frankincense and oud.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Black Orchid is erotic, for the Femme Fatale type who gets off on the idea of being in control. I know both men and women wear this, but I'd much prefer smelling this on a women. It seems too flashy or loud for a man to wear, unless you're Dennis Rodman.

As much as I like it, sometimes it can come off smelling too candy sweet, sort of hard on the nose, but I think it might have to do with my masculine skin chemistry. Overall, it's quite good and at times I find Black Orchid a lot better than what's offered in Tom Ford's Private Blend line.

sfonativeboy's avatar

Private Collection - Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale

Private Collection Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale

This name alone creates a sense of..
    Heightened DRAMA.....
    something will happen or is about to happen
    and your in the middle of it .

Intrigued and lured by its Old Hollywood Film Noire name
    I ventured to sample it ....

"INDOCHINE"
    might have been a better suited name ....

Allow me to set the film up....
    The Decadence of the French living in Vietnam and the exploitive evils of Colonialism....
    A exotic place all Steamy and Humid!
    Languorous visits to hidden
    Mandarin "OPIUM DENS"...
    All the while you are floating on a "JUNK" on tranquil waters.....
    When suddenly you are awakened by the rude shots of a gun....
    You feel the wetness of liquid on your chest. the OPIUM has dulled your sense of pain ....
    Is it blood ? NO!
    The smell of fragrance fills the air ...
    Your favorite crystal decanter lies on the floor shattered....
    You smile ...
    having cheated death one more time ... you return to your revelry.

My review:
    I really like this Spiced Tea Infusion scent.

The fragrance is so heady with GINGER and Spice... predominantly Saigon Cinnamon.
    Perhaps this mysterious sounding ingredient ..called
    "Osmanthus"
    which in CHINA is infused with green or black tea leaves, to create a scented tea called guì huā chá (OSMANTHUS TEA)
    this might create the "CRIME EXOTIQUE"
    in this Potent,Intoxicating and Long Lasting Fragrance....

A 50ml bottle for 100.00 bucks
    not bad ...
    I'll add it to my Ever Expanding Fragrance Wishlist

Japon Noir by Tom Ford

Japon Noir is sweet in a jolly rancher way, with some vaporized smoke. Truly awful and disgusting.

danielremy's avatar

France France

Crescendo by Lanvin

Androgynous. Mysterious. Completely in the Lanvin's tradition.Crescendo is an amazing scent, classified as a soliflore tuberose, but rather a spicy ambery floral with leather undertones. The only problem of Crescendo: it's not a 60's frag at all, but rather a 30's and that's why it was not successful. For example it smells like Weil Noir. A beautiful vintage.

RYU's avatar

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

pacooo pacoo omg what is this!! is this a parfume?? sorry paco but ultraviolet man really horrible disgusting..it smells like women fragrance
    and it is not strong longlasting is weak..

but If you wanna like a woman smell I can suggest this fragrance :))