Fragrance Reviews from January 2011

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Hermèssence Brin de Réglisse by Hermès

From the Hermessence line, Brin de Reglisse is one that sounds the most compact and simple. But this one works because that the simplicity here is centered around too biggest notes, lavender and anis. If Caron Pour Un Homme works like a dance of lavender and vanilla, this one changes lavender`s pair and put it to be conducted by the spicy and dark aroma of anis. The note gets very close of something which is dark-sugary and bitter at the same time, and it works very well combined with the aromatic aroma of lavender, that stripped down of the caramelic and medicinal tones provides a more herbal, green aspect to the note. One curiosity about Brin de Reglisse is that, before the launching, Hermes used a similar formula to give Hermes George V to person which were invited to the reopening of their french George V Store. George V is the opposite twin of Brin de Reglisse, with the lavender more in focus than the anise and showing a more fresh aroma, almost tea-like, with a discreet caramelic note. Both interesting fragrances, but in the end i prefer George V for the relaxed aura it exhales.

danielabeatriz's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Poême by Lancôme

I can absolutely understand why people find it cloying. I like it but even I sometimes get a little sick of it. But overall, is a beautiful and sweet fragrance. Not for the faint of heart.

nebgajic's avatar

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

With many fragrances I have the problem to find the right occasion to wear them.

With Bvlgari MAN I really don't have this problem.

It's excellent for the office. On me I can easily detect it after 8 hours of work. I also wear it sometimes for some special occasions. It's not powerful, but subtle aroma is very nice when you catch it. I received compliments wearing it.

I think it is possible to wear it all year round.

In my case it wasn't love at first sniff. But after some time I really started to LOVE it. I see the biggest plus of this scent, that you can really USE it for many occasions, not just to sniff it at home for own pleasure.

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

This is a very nice scent from Creed. Very proffesional in style. It`s a extremely elegant and classy "english club" fragrance with a wonderful tobacco aroma. Fresh and warm at the same time, and perfect for stylish gentlemen. Sillage and longevity is great! 2 sprays will last for a day. It has a classical feel, with a modern tuch. Best used with a stylish white iron shirt. This is a very serious scent with a luxurious aura. Very underrated IMO. It`s one of my most complimented Creed fragrances. Recommended!

terry81's avatar

Big Pony 3 by Ralph Lauren

I brought No.3 instead of No.1 because both smell similar except the mint note attracts me more. However i am disappointed and should have realised that the green bottle indicates the fragrance to be green-note based fragrance.

The crispy mint lasts for a few secs before you settle down with a subtle green note which is not overpowering. I am not a fan of green note so luckily, the green note is not so strong to make me gross out.

The fragrance is best for young working adults and best worn during a night outing in a party and function.

This fragrance isnt that bad but I wouldnt buy it again cos i dont like green. I sld have know because mint+ginger+green bottle belong to the plant (green) family!

terry81's avatar

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I got this for my birthday present and I am wondering why did my friend buy this fragrance for me! It was choking and spicy. I tried to like it but i dumped it aside after a few days.

I dont understand why did ferragamo allows this frag to be produced in the first place.

Shocking by Elsa Schiaparelli

The thumbs-down is for the new, reformulated version of Shocking. I had bought a tiny bottle of vintage Shocking on eBay, and then bought a bottle of the new stuff. I can't tell you how different the new version is from the vintage formula. Granted, the original version could be construed today as an "old lady" fragrance, but beneath the prissy flowers that make it a somewhat grandmotherly fragrance, there is the deep sophistication of musk, spices, and aldehydes (all of the ingredients that made classic perfumes so great, and that are replaced today with more politically correct synthetic alternatives). The new version smells like it's eliminated altogether the civet, cloves, cyphres and aldehydes of the original. It smells strongly of white flowers before transitioning into an overwhelmingly powdery dry-down. Like one reviewer below said, it's ghastly. Without the spicy notes, the musk, and the aldehydes of the original, the new version lacks the depth and sophistication of the vintage version.

pepelestinker's avatar

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

I will tell you up front that spice is not my thing, at least strong spice. Also, I'm not that fond of projection and the need to "make a statement" with my fragrance. I prefer a subtle close to the skin, almost below the level of awareness kind of scent. Believe it or not, Vera Wang has more spice than I usually like, but I find it pleasantly balanced by the wood and tobacco...giving it almost a nutty character. It is sweet, no doubt, but not overly so. I go very easy with this juice, as too much will lead to disaster. I would have preferred a little more leather, but coming from one who likes to fly under the radar, this scent is very wearable. Now...about that wedding dress...

Leap by Body Shop

I loved Leap! This one was like springtime in a bottle - a bouquet of violets and greens. It was light and refreshing and instantly uplifting. From time to time I keep checking The Body Shop to see if they've brought it back, but to no avail (although they used to carry the perfume oil of Leap long after the perfume was discontinued, but now their Perfume Oil Bar is also discontinued). Sadly missed, and I covet the half a bottle that I still have from the mid-90s, spraying it occasionally when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Amazing Grace by Philosophy

Who needs Prozac when you have Amazing Grace? It's extremely comforting. The perfume defies description - not quite a floral, not spicy, not green, just a clean, comforting scent. I spray it when I need a pick-me-up.

SirScent's avatar

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

Green and Clean!
    I think Diesel Green is a nice, casual fragrance that should wear well all throughout the year.
    Greens and Vanilla come through with a nice combo that is refreshing.
    Bottle is fun but annoying.
    It should be called a "stream" instead of a spray for the way the sprayer extrudes the fragrance. Watch Out!
    I smell nothing of bug spray as others have suggested. Maybe that's subliminal because of the bottle shape.
    It really is a nice cologne.
    Enjoy!

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Fidji by Guy Laroche

I've had a nice little bottle of vintage Fidji in my collection for a while now. I got it a while back after reading all of the glowing reviews about it and felt thet I needed to have it in my collection of vintages. Today I decided to wear it after not reaching for it in a while, and I have to say that Doctor Mod hit the nail on the head in her review. It's nicc, but icy cold and inaccessible...just like Grace Kelly's image. I would expect a perfume called Fidgi to be much warmer and evocative of tropical ease and sensuality. This is too Upper East side for me.

SirScent's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Light Blue is a fresh aquatic with a nice Grapfruit and Light Woods.
    Longeveity is about 4-5 hours on me.
    I can certainly understand its appeal and also it's naysayers who feel it's overpriced for what it is.
    Although I prefer Aqua Di Gio I still find some uniqueness to Light Blue that makes it a second choice for me in high priced aquatics.

That having been said, I still feel Unbound by Halston to be the best bang for the buck in this aquatic realm.
    There's nothing cheap about it (unbound) but the price.

PCC1960's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Say what you will about its technical composition, I find GF far too sweet a scent. It's not bad, I just don't care for it.

PCC1960's avatar

Jockey Club by Caswell-Massey

Reputedly JFK's cologne. Jockey Club is like comfort food... it evokes fond memories that are probably disproportionate to its actual quality. Its talc smell is clean and fresh.

Diamondflame's avatar

Epic Man by Amouage

Comparisons to the well-received Jubilation XXV are inevitable for right off the bat I could already spot similarities within their richly spiced smoky DNA. But where JXXV has a certain plumminess to it, EPIC MAN's profile is much more resinous, with a dry quality that verges on 'parched'. The evolution is involvingly complex. There is certainly something hypnotic, almost mystical about the scent that reels you in.

"Whoa. Hang on a minute. Who actually wears this stuff??"

And this is precisely the challenge with Epic Man. A well-calibrated application that offers the odd fleeting whiff will probably grant the wearer an aura of mystique; anything stronger is likely to repel the average person. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the artistry behind the composition and enjoy it in the comforts of my room much as I would a piano recital. But as a skin fragrance, this is probably much too 'epic' to be on regular rotation.

Le Grand Duc's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Vanille Givree des Antilles by La Maison de la Vanille

Smells extremely like Thierry Mugler's Angel.

TropiRock's avatar

Façonnable by Façonnable

I'll start with positives: Faconnable opens as a citrusy, slightly minty, rather masculine fragrance. Not bad. And it lasts a long time, offering above average longevity.

So much for positives. The opening is brief and within 20 minutes or so, this fragrance transforms into a flowery, herbal clash of scents that I find very objectionable. Someone recently gave me a bottle as a gift, and luckily I decided to spray a little on my arm as I was retiring to bed for the evening. Whew!! I'm glad I didn't sample it first thing in the a.m., before entering any public setting. Faconnable morphs into an aged, grandmotherly floral mess, "enhanced" by little undercurrents which remind me of rotting fruit. I could still smell it the next morning, before I showered for the day. This one's not for me.

laurent's avatar

Eton College Collection by Taylor of Old Bond Street

Strange - Odd - Unusual - Metallic -

I would put it in the Jicky categorie - you love it or hate it !!

Going in different directions between the freshness and the spices and a tad sweet.

I like fragrances that are odd or out of the mould.

Winter - evening - standing out.

Deserves a try -

I like it !!

LEBRON JAMES's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

For all of you hating on this fragrance, this is the most popular in the country for very good reason. It iis the best smelling fresh scent I have ever laid my nose on. I have gotten more compliments on this fragrance from friends, family, and strangers than all the others COMBINED. One girl actually told me, "Oh my god, what are you wearing, I just want to eat you." An outstanding compliment for an outstanding fragrance.

Postumo's avatar

Spain Spain

Voyage by Nautica

Not the best fragance out there, but for the price it beats down many other aquatic fresh and summery scents.

20€ for 100ml plus its Aftershave and you have some nice "to go" frag for hot summer days when you do nothing special.

Fgb's avatar

Jacomo de Jacomo by Jacomo

Smokey woodsy dark leather. One of my all time favourites.

carrbuck's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Years ago I was in a store and smelt this wonderful perfume coming off another woman. I was so taken with it that I just had to follow that scent until I got up the courage to ask the lady what it was called. Of course it was Aromatic Elixir. I never came across Aromatics again until my mother started to wear it. It's warm, it's sexy, it's unforgetable. My daughter has been wearing this fragrance for a couple of years herself now, but unfortunately, despite absolutely loving it, I found it gave me headaches every time I used it, so have had to stop.

LEBRON JAMES's avatar

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

I actually blind purchased this fragrance off what a friend had told be about it. After smelling it, i was very suprised. It has very similar note break-down with Boss #6 (Boss Bottled). The lime and plum makes it a bit more fruity smelling, and a bit less sweet than Boss #6. Great longevity and projection. It also has a bit of a metallic note, possibly from the alluminum bottle? I'm not sure. But if you liked Boss' #6, i would highly recommend this fragrance.

21st January, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 January, 2011)

kierroo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Boss bottled is a classic, been around since 1998 and properly one of the biggest selling frags ever, and has rarely been out the top 10.

When first sprayed on your instantly smell the pine and the fresh Patchouli and Geranium, its just smells so fresh maybe a bit sysenthic but that's not a bad thing. when it dries down it does smell greeny and of apples but it still fresh and Masculine.

In my view boss bottled even with it advertised for daytime use is much suited and better for night time use, the new boss bottled night is a disgrace and just boss's attempt to cash in and its does not stand up to the legendary status of boss bottled.

the bottle design is simple and sleek, but with the massive boss name in huge font down the side, not bad or great but it reasonable.

10 out of 10, pick up 200ml for £40 at certain times of the year !

21st January, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2011)

digger51's avatar

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

I have a sample that I tried this morning. I like it. It start off "boozy" as others have stated which makes it a little sweet but not overpowering, it is nice. It smoothly transitions to the spices and wood and the cedar is present almost throughout the dry down. The cedar mixes with the Patchouli for a nice warm base. It is for men no matter what Kilian labels it. I like the Kilian line, but the initial investment for the bottle and box is a little steep. I give it thumbs up.

Five hours later, The juice is still strong, but it is just another Cedar scent at this point. Nothing special to make me want to buy it.

21st January, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2011)

Swanky's avatar

Cigar by Rémy Latour

I've owned Cigar for a number of years and it's one of the few for which I own a backup bottle. This stuff is so inexpensive that multiple bottles are almost a must.

As to the fragrance, this one plays way above its station. This is the 8th grader dunking on the star senior. One may expect a cheap, wimpy mess based on the price and Marshall's shelf location. Don't be fooled. Cigar is a very well done scent. For those looking for a tobacco-leather accord, check this one out. Like Zino, Egoiste, Spanish Leather by Truefitt & Hill or Burberry London? You'll probably enjoy Cigar.

Great longevity and it gets better as it mellows. I wouldn't say it has especially complex development, though.

21st January, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2011)

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Original Santal by Creed

Smells quite nice and pretty. I didn`t like this fragrance the first time I smelled it. I thought it was too sweet. But I just smelled it from a sample, and never on my skin. After that I have revisit the fragrance several times, and tried it on my skin. Nowdays, I like it a lot. The top notes are still too sweet and heavy for my taste, but the dry-down is pure magic! Original Santal is a big compliment and attention grabber. You will stand out when you wear Original Santal, and it works great as an evening fragrance. Wait for the dry-down, and you will discover what a delicious elixir this is.

21st January, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

As well as already said you could spend a lot more to have the equal level of scent or even less but it's true just few are able to distinguish this aroma for a standout particular among thousands around. This concoction is like that kind of scents that never fail but never emerge from the crowd and this is the history of Boss fragrances. Boss Bottled is a decent and presentable spicy semi-oriental office fragrance, fresh, masculine, barely "white resinous" and distinctive. The key elements of this scent are a bunch of spices, apple, flowers, olivewood and an hint of smoothness produced by amber or vanilla. The olivewood is notable with its almost oily yellow feel. The scent is moderately sweet and fruity. The link between apple and spices produces a slightly aromatic and green undertone. The longevity is neutral in my opinion.

21st January, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The Van Gogh's Starry Night in a bottle. Olfactory Sturm und Drang. A spectacular dust of stars for romantic love declarations whispered on woody bridges of the northern lands. I enjoy this sparkling, pungent, balsamic sweet scent in the coldest nights out under billions of stars, breathing deeply on me the tumultuous, dusty, mystic resinous accord of "stellar" anice, spices, citrus and woods. I own the EDP version which is a stronger, spicier, less herbal and deeper version that stresses the oriental notes till the gourmand borderlines. The EDT is a fresh-oriental more grounded on the cool-sparkling notes of ginger, citrus, galanga and peppery cedar. The EDP is pure magic, luxury and mystery in a juice (despite the Edt is more balanced and refined). This is an oriental scent with a western modern soul and is perfect while overlooking a shimmering skyline in the cold night with your beloved on the side. The blackcurrant enhances the nocturnal characteristic of the fragrance since the beginning of the journey side by side with star anise. The heart is rooty-spicy before that the smell slides towards a resinous, oriental base where the milky-silky temperament from vanilla and balsams is indented by an insertion of cedar. In the same range of the more refined but probably less romantic and intoxicating Japuir, Heritage, L'Instant and Egoiste, Opium pour homme is a dramatic, arcane fragrance, sparkling and bursting as in the Jack Kerouac's gigantic, chaotic, chilly nights.

21st January, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2014)