Fragrance Reviews from January 2011

Darvant's avatar

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

This scent conjures a white, clean, airy olfactory world. Barely close to Costume National Homme (for some nuances) and above all to Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme, this is a lighter, less earthy and milder Terre d'Hermes (far less classy and complicated). The scent is windy, slightly aqueous, (lemony in the background), light and finally powdery and a bit ethereal. I detect some tea ( a key element ), white flowers, spices, musks, wood, ginger, a touch of vetiver (lemony fluidy vetiver) and amber. The backbone is constituted by a citric-spicy opening, a woody-floral heart and by a resinous-musky base all cruising on a green lake of tea. It's a delicate daily fragrance. Unisex but leaning towards the masculine side.

21st January, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2014)

MakeMyEyesBurn's avatar

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

Keep in mind, I am biased towards Oriental/Spice frags. I thought I'd explore the Citrus/Fresh side of things for a change and I was curious about the 'Watermelon' note, so I blind bought CW Game.

If you went to the store, and bought the cheap, powdered laundry detergent, that comes in a box (the one for $4.99 on the bottom shelf) and ripped that little cardboard tab off that wraps round the whole box...opened it, took a big whiff, then talked to your friend who was sucking on a watermelon Jolly Rancher candy who was standing 5 feet away from you, you'd have Cool Water Game.

It's like 94% 'Clean/Fresh/Light/Soapy' and 6% watermelon.
    It's not for me, but it might be for you- so it gets a Neutral rating

I spray it on all my socks before I shut my sock drawer now.

nsamadi's avatar

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Bigarade Concentree is a niche citrus based fragrance. Dirty, maybe even weird, refreshing orange scent in the style of Terre d'Hermes.

distortech's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

A masterpiece! Clever in it's use of pepper and incense and a vanilla base that is rich and elegant - pure Caron grandeur. I will never be without this. WONDERFUL!

Aztecface's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Eau de Cologne by Penhaligon's

Quite nice but nothing special. No longevity(as in all EdC's). Not in any way worth the price Penhaligon's ask for it. Purchase 2 bottles of Guerlain's Eau du Coq instead.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Mandarines, oranges mixed with vanilla, benzoin to be precise. Great scent, so casual yet so elegant, open, I must say it is linear too. Really a nice classic I might posess one day.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Very fresh, like a bowl full of fruits. Fresh, light, non offensive but yet it is not weak, it projects well and lasts quite a while. This scent really has some character, though I do think it could be worn by women too.

northsuburbs13's avatar

Greece Greece

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

This is my favorite fragrance of all times..i dont know why but im so addicted to its scent..its something so different..everyone has to try this IMO.

blackened's avatar

Spain Spain

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Chypre Rouge is completely dispensable. It doesn´t seems Lutens ; is ugly and harsh, it seems cherry jello slightly spicy with thyme and on top of that, to make things worse, here the thyme does not take the aromatic side of another herbal fragances but feels rough, dry, with a hint of camphor as licorice taste.
    The result leaves a bad feeling in a medicinal sense, as a cough syrup like those with taste of strawberry or cherry.
    No trace of Cyprus tones that the title hints at , no trace of the sweet and spicy richness of another Lutens.

kbe's avatar

Eau de Verveine by Penhaligon's

After an initial blast of sharp green accord that sillages nicely but lasts just a few minutes a much more subtle sage phase arises, the green virtually disappearing. This phase is also reminiscent of the wood of a freshly shaved pencil and almost reticent it is so laid back.

Within 45 minutes of application a hint of vanilla and cedar wood is all that is left. Not exactly a stellar performer. If you are into explosive green then Geoffry Beene Bowling Green would be a longer lasting and far less expensive choice.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

Regardless what anybody says, this is one of the greatest perfumes for the price, it is different, kinda exotic and very sexy. To get something comparable you would have to spend at least 5 times what you pay for this treasure.
    I bought a coffret with a 3.4 oz bottle of aftershave, a 3.4 oz of EdT and a stick of deodorant for $14.99 at Marshall's, and I see the 3.4 oz EdT in ebay for less than $7 all the time.
    The bottle is gorgeous and the juice not only is very pleasant but on me it lasts a long time, I sprayed a little after a late shower just before going to bed last night and I still could smelled it when I woke up. Sillage is low, but people close to you will notice it and will not be annoyed by monster projection.
    Beautiful packaging, good juice and an exceptionally low price makes this perfume a winner in my book. Thumbs up all the way.

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Absolument Homme by Liquoristerie de Provence

Very sexy, good fragrance for men!

pc0e497's avatar

Chypre by D'Orsay

Found a bottle at an estate sale an scooped it up for 1.00. To my amazement, it smelled great and it smelled fresh. I never smelled the original so I can't compare, but I would dare say that it has not lost anythingbecause it was sealed and stored in a closet. How can I go wrong for a buck?

d_nyce12's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

This is horrible. Imagine the old guy that is leaving the gym when you are walking into the locker room...THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS SMELLS LIKE!!!!

silverbullet's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the best agarwood, vetiver, and amber frags and definitely in my top ten winter scents. Be forewarned, this is a sillage powerhouse, be gentle with the sprays. Double thumbs up on this one .

GelbeDomino's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Calèche by Hermès

Calèche, Calèche! What have they done to you?

The current version is a mildly aldehydic, inoffensive, soft, woody scent. A pale shade of what it used to be. It completely lacks character and smells like fabric softener.
    A nice fabric softener, I must admit.

I might enjoy it if I had never tried the vintage version. Not only I have tried it but I have stocked up a bit on it.
    The vintage version is seriously aldehydic, woody and powdery. The quintessence of chic and class.
    It is a powerhouse in comparison to the diluted-skimmed-watered down current version.

Thumbs up for the vintage version.
    Neutral for the new version (if I hadn't known her old self)
    Thumbs down for butchering such a beautiful classic.

QWERTYOP's avatar

England England

He Wood by Dsquared2

Boring. Soft. Dry down smells like magic marker.

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Hermèssence Paprika Brasil by Hermès

One of the weakest scents from the Hermessence line. Basically a dry-pepper fragrance layered with a rooty iris and a faint wood base. You have to keep your nose very close to the place where you applied it, because the scent has zero projection throughout the evolution. It does last, but it's so faint that it gives you an impression that disappearing after 30 minutes on skin. Not a bad scent, but you'd expect much more for 200 dollars.

MOONB's avatar

Acteur by Azzaro

The house of Azzaro is an odd one. They found their stride early in the game with Pour Homme, and stayed relevant during the destructively-saccharine '90s with Chrome. The '80s, however, they all but went dark on masculine perfumery, with few notable releases - except Acteur. Here they broke all molds, and of course this perfume rarely gets a nod from anyone, as it was underexposed and undersold. Yet it survives.

The fragrance is a pleasure to wear. The phrase "spicy rose" comes to mind. The bracing spices and florals, including mace, cardamom, geranium, and rose, explode off of skin in an artfully unforgettable blend. Throughout the life of the scent, red apple cider trickles in the periphery, a fruity accompaniment that lifts the composition beyond the potentially dull ranks of woodsy '80s aromatic fougeres. As the spices age, a bitter cedar surfaces, bolstered by oakmoss and a sheer leather in the base. Usually I dislike cedar, but in Acteur it carries the rose and mace deftly, giving the scent a solid wooden spine.

Almost no one wears Acteur these days, and like Zino Davidoff, the scent is a masterpiece that deserves better. I understand new bottles can be procured from the Azzaro boutique in Paris. If that's the case, I now have my 1,000th reason to go to France.

KillerScent's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

If you want to smell like a 60 year old woman this is your scent . I have noticed a similar scent from many older women.
    Disgusting fragrance, I don't find it any manly, the rose note is overdosing and it is what turns this fragrance into a woman smell.

LiveJazz's avatar

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

I love this. In smell, it is a complete departure from the other entries in the Hermes "Eau de" series. It is dry, rooty to the extreme, and green...very outdoorsy, with a hint of starchy white soap and incense beneath. Yet, it sticks to the streamlined Hermes feel somehow. Very, very nicely done. It is minimalist, but not the point where it feels like incomplete and lazy.

I had begun to doubt Ellena's willingness to broaden the scope of his work (another citrus top fading to woody ISO-E? Nice, but yawn). But, Eau de Gentiane Blanche has renewed by faith in Ellena's ability to think outside the box and widen his scent portfolio. I am impressed.

Wild Woods for Men by Coty

Not bad at all...a rather vanilla-heavy wood, and a great example of a simple cheapo scent that just smells good. It has some cedar like Visit or Rush, but not the acrid dry stuff; it's more of a sweeter, gentler wood. I think of it as an improved Rush, because even though it's almost as weak, and still fairly artificial-smelling, it doesn't have that plasticky edge which I ultimately couldn't stand about Rush. Also, this makes me envision nicely finished wood furniture or art pieces more than almost any other scent. Finally, the vanilla's sweetness doesn't get out of control, which is key because by the end vanilla is almost all that's left, with perhaps a hint of milk chocolate or carob. Very smooth from start to finish.

Wild Citrus for Men by Coty

Like Nicolai's Balle de Match, this is a somewhat grapefruity citrus with cilantro. And also like Balle de Match, it also improves vastly on other jazzy, lively grapefruit-cilantro scents. I have a lifetime supply because my first $5 bottle came half-full with no cap, but I loved it so much that I ordered another from another vendor. I've used it both as an air freshener and as a summer cologne, and it's just amazing for either...not overly green from too much cilantro, nor salty or bitter from kitchen herbs like the Blenheim/Wellington family. Even though its strength tapers off, the crisp, sharp freshness of the citrus components lives on into the base, without ever becoming that fake "body wash" freshness. For its price, it must be pretty synthetic, but I find that to be an unexpected boon; the citrus here to me feels like a strange but fascinating "averaged-citrus", and I attribute that to their using artificial faux-citrus molecules. Really nice stuff.

Wild Spice for Men by Coty

My favorite of Coty's surprisingly good but cheap "Wild ____" line. It's a very sweet, exotic-smelling sandalwood, in the family of Trumper's, AOS, or Chanel Egoiste. After a slight rubberiness goes away within the first few seconds, I find it very suave and sophisticated for its price. It has just slightly more anise and lavender and less honey than Egoiste, and of course is less concentrated than the Trumpers. Somewhere hiding in the back is a sweet orange peel note...subtle, and more like Equipage than Habit Rouge in terms of avoiding any over-the-top sweetness. The counterpoint between the smoky Indian spice components and standard old Sweet Woods is very well-balanced here, so that it's neither off-puttingly exotic nor too dull and ordinary. The closer I sniff it, the more I detect a bit of Bel Ami-like herbal leather, which keeps it unambiguously masculine (not that it needed much help in that department). If you sniff the sprayed spot directly it gets a bit more sharp and artificial, but it's still such an intriguing blend that I wouldn't discount it for that.

nightcutter's avatar

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

Ugh!!!

Initial blast is quite nice.

But the final smell some 30 minutes later is an awful synthetic green, just like Jaguar Performance.

Absolutely vile.

jtd's avatar

Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin

Is this the intermediate species between the classic amber oriental and the Lutens cedar oriental? Its 2002 birth date tells me no, but my nose says it could be. Histoire d’Eau is a smoky, spicy cedar/amber. There is just enough sweet amber to fall into the Shalimar camp, and enough cedar and fruit to be an SL Bois. It also has an opacity that sits right between Shalimar’s richness and SL’s transparency. Unfortunately, the middle ground is not necessarily the ripest locale for inspiration. I can’t help but feel with a few tweaks, this could have been spectacular.

I’ve only smelled SL’s Daim Blond once, and while Hd’E does smell like it a bit at the outset, it doesn’t hang together like Daim Blond. It doesn’t so much fall apart as become flatter over the course of the heart. It rallies a bit in the drydown, leaving a pleasant but unexciting spicy cedar.

nightcutter's avatar

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

This is nice enough. Smells like Crave by Calvin Klein, but perhaps a bit more grown up.
    A decent summer fragrance - a light orangey citrus aquatic but staying power is a problem.

jtd's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche pour Homme is a thick, heavy aromatic fougère. Its aromatic notes are balanced, but aren’t key players. They are the Greek chorus to the lavender and coumarin that define RGpH. Clove focuses our attention on the coumarin, and rosemary and geranium steer us to the lavender.

RGpH reminds me of what I love about the fougère. Because the interaction of lavender and coumarin plays out mostly as contrast rather than agreement, the greater the counterpoint, the better the fougère. The aromatics keep our attention on the lavender and coumarin and their combined raspiness.

If the accord is stark, the transitions are not. It moves easily from an enveloping church organ blast of a perfume to a brisk barbershop slap to a husky whisper. There is nothing superfluous. The fragrance emerges from the fundamental duality.

RGpH is not pretty, it’s handsome. By historic fragrance norms, it is so classically masculine that I can’t help but feel like I’m in man-drag when I wear it. By the same reasoning, it’d be loads of fun on a femme woman.

suburbanites's avatar

Bois de Santal by Creed

I've now tried this fragrance, and yes it is officially discontinued since around 2008. Unfortunately, in my view, I cannot say that constitutes much of a loss. The opening note definitely contains more than a subtle hint of civet, though not in a unique "Kouros" type of way that one might enjoy.. It simply lingers in the background, barely there, finally drying into a very dry and floral sandalwood. By the time the transformation from top to base note is complete, you're left with something rather orange, floral, and hinting at sandalwood, though not very distinguished. It tends to lack the level of depth or character throughout that I've enjoyed in other Creeds. In a day and age of myriad scents, this comes across as common yet very dated in its feel. It lacks an identity that sets it apart and becomes significant to the wearer. It wouldn't be a favorite in my collection, and while intriguing at first sampling, it transforms very poorly for me over time. If collecting rare and vintages Creeds is a hobby or passion, it's one to seek out for historic value; its not one I enjoyed wearing nor could recommend.

Orgoglio italianO's avatar

Cuba by Czech & Speake

A real shame it just doesn't shake that fecal note on me after the top notes are supposed to die down. That fecal stuff just rubs me the wrong way. Sucks because underneath are nice spicy accords. Its unfortunate the fecals are stronger than the Spicy notes