Fragrance Reviews from January 2011

scentsitivity's avatar

Aventus by Creed

Two main themes strike me in Aventus: a pineapple accord that is fruity, but not especially sweet and a smoky birch that is pleasant but a bit faint. I don’t find Aventus to be particularly satisfying. To characterize it in a word: timid. I would need it to be bolder to enjoy it on myself. Not worth the price. I am surprised that it has generated as much hype as it has.

As to the bottle, I find the design on the 2.5 oz and 4.0 oz bottle to be particularly lame. It looks out of date and amateur: as if it were designed by a middle school student in the 1970s. Embarrassing.

cheryl's avatar

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

There are so many positive views here, I don't feel so guilty about my less enthusiastic assessment. This is a very linear fragrance....it does its one thing persistently. That thing is a kind of rotten plum/clove overlay on a powdery cinnamon. It's a kind of concept scent, I guess.

cheryl's avatar

Aoud Gourmet by Martine Micallef

A little bit of oud. A whole tonne of caramel sugar. Nothing else happens on my skin. If the near burned sugar made me happy in itself, this would be a thrill. As it is now I feel gassed out by all the sugar and yearn for some notes to add depth or complexity. I'm disappointed by the effort...it feels like it was a bit of cop out on the part of the company.

pbjguy's avatar

Clubman by Pinaud

I wore Clubman today and was honestly blown away with it. It's just so pure and innocent and it's not cheap smelling whatsoever. It's very smooth, almost velvety and feels great on the face. I agree with everyone that the longevity is outrageous. This baby is an Americana classic and truly the essence of an old barber shop. You can get it for around 6 or 7 bucks at your local drug store. A must have!

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Set Sail St. Barts is A Fresh and Vibrant Margarita with Sparkling Lime and Plenty of Ctrus to enjoy throughout the day. It's difficult to be in a bad mood while wearing this fragrance as it projects well and sends out a "feel good" vibe. I've worn each of the Tommy Bahama scents and cannot find fault with any. Each is a safe bet for purchase and all come across masculine and enjoyable to wear. This is likable enough to wear everyday throughout the year. Projectivity is good, Longevity is about 3 to 4 hours with me. Well Done!

MOONB's avatar

Coco by Chanel

I'm not exactly a wealthy man, and don't have the bigger $$$ to drop on the parfum or EDP of Coco, so I'm reviewing my small bottle of the EDT here. I'm familiar with Coco, No. 5, and several masculine Chanels, and the thing I have to mention whenever reviewing something from this house is that these fragrances are "abstract"; they are not the concise pyramidal formulas of other houses, with easily identifiable top, middle, and basenotes. The general impression left by a classic Chanel like Coco is one of warmth, depth, softness, and quality. The EDT is no exception, although it is much leaner than its counterparts. With that said, I usually don't concur with the notes pyramids here on basenotes, but if ever there was one that captures the gist of the scent, it's this one - Coco does boast heady doses of mimosa, frangipani, and sweet citrus fruits over a rosy heart and vanillic labdanum base. However, none of these notes leap forward to take a starring role. The fragrance comes alive in a sweet and fruity haze, progresses rapidly into an array of powdery flowers, and eventually fades into the sugary mist from whence it came. Somewhere along the way I get a bubblegum effect, which soon trades up to a gauzy leather. Coco is certainly geared toward the feminine, but in 2011 these gender barriers are anachronisms. It is sweet, a little powdery, and a lot floral, but the spare leather effect of the EDT makes Coco a charming alternative to the brutal masculine orientals on the market today.

Quasar by J del Pozo

Quasar is a very nice aquatic with an interesting banana note thrown in for a peel. (Sorry, I couldn't resist). Actually, I think it is the banana note that makes this one unique from similar aquatics. Casual and light, I cannot imagine this offending anyone's senses. My only objection is it's longevity, which is about 2 hours on me. Still highly recommended and a thumbs up.

Havana by Aramis

Havana is a rich tobacco scent that is very masculine and comes across as fresh. It is not a dirty ashtray but a fresh tobacco leaf with some woods thrown in for good measure.
    I love Havana but I find others around me do not enjoy the scent as much as I do so I wear at a minimum. Projection is good but I find longevity just average which was a bit of a disappointment . Also it is not as dimensional as I would like but still is a unique, wonderful and masculine fragrance that I am glad to own.

Yatagan by Caron

I'm giving Yatagan a Neutral as I just may not understand it.
    I'm still trying to figure this one out and it's been a couple of months now.
    The reviews of Yatagan were the first I read on any fragrance after joining basenotes so you may imagine my intrigue.
    I waited a long time to purchase this as I could not find any store that carried this to sample so I finally purchased it blind, well maybe with one eye open since I had insight from these reviews.
    I find this nasty and dry-so dry that it is unlike anything out there. Almost dirty-dry...does that make sense? First spray and I get stale pine. Not fresh pine mind you but stale, stinky pine. Like when you find those old pine needles from your Christmas tree in your carpet... years after you've taken the Christmas tree down.
    When I wear this , I can only smell the scent of celery with a bit of the stale pine. I thought maybe I received a tainted bottle, but after reading the reviews again I find that I just may be one of those who can't wear this. I can't appreciate it either. And I certainly can't understand it. With so many choices out there, why would anyone choose to smell like this?

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Sorry to disagree with the "old lady' comments but I think this is a mature fragrance that suits itself for formal affair. It does take a study in appreciation to realize this is not a one-dimensional fragrance and is definitely a classic of it's own.
    The lemon-citrus is light and yet masculine with nice longevity. I do understand that younger generations may deem this inappropriate with all the sweet and watery concoctions on the market at their disposal. However, this is a gentleman's cologne and one that deserves to be seriously considered when shopping for a formal fragrance.

DtheJg's avatar

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

I found this to be just alright.
    I kind of like the smell of it but definitley not something I'd wear. It's very "sporty" and that's what i don't like. I was really hoping for something with more to it because of it's name.

DtheJg's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Just Wonderful!
    I love this. It's so... delicious! (haha don't really know my stuff)

For sure one of my faves.

Alien Eau Luminescente by Thierry Mugler

This is a a spring and summer limited edition of Alien.
    Rather than Alien's purple colour, this is a bright orange.
    Notes: mandarin, tiaré flower, white amber.
    Fairly sweet but not candy-like. Fruity, a vague sort of citrus note.
    I've never found a mandarin note that was very strong.
    The floral note is pretty, tropical, a bit woody.
    The scent is translucent. Not as heavy as the purple monster Alien regular.
    overall -- OK. Strikes me as something marketed exclusively to women.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

What an odd scent!
    Sweet, sharp, dense.
    Has a toasty note, like slightly burned toast.
    And something like old celery leaves.
    The amber is kinda wierd here, even diabolical.
    I know what rhubarb smells like -- none.
    I know what sequoia should smell like -- none.
    I know what vetiver's range should be -- can't find it.
    This is disquieting, kind of freaks me out. Away with it...

BayKAT's avatar

Hiris by Hermès

This scent is just OK with me, which is surprising because I loved the new SL Bois de Soie, and I really loved James Heeley's Iris de Nuit. This more closely resembles Iris de Nuit, but is sweeter and heavier, so much so that it tips into the 'not so great' category with me.

There is a facet to this scent that sinks like a rock on my chemistry - it feels off and discordant. I think I would like it more if Cedar was swapped out for Oak Moss, and the honey note exchanged for something dryer . I can usually spot Giacobetti's touch, but not here. I feel like the business team asked her to go against her good sense and add something 'commercial' to this.

Hiris just doens't stand out in the crowded genre.

nsamadi's avatar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Although there's a lot of notes in Spiritueuse Double Vanille, it mainly smells of warm melted vanilla ice cream with a boozy dark rum. The vanilla is really dominated and you get a bit of the other notes, mainly the Bulgarian rose, benzoin, pink pepper, and spices. But they give the scent more of a texture, than any actual scent.

Super pricey but well worth it. I find most gourmands appealing, but they get nauseating or annoying after a while, due to their high level of synthetics. Spiritueuse Double Vanille is just really smooth and wonderful.

michailG's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

Colonia Essenza is a very well made fragrance. It is quite safe olfactory and likable especially for a certain age group (+40). However, I find it to be too gendered for my taste. Despite the fact that it is presented here as unisex, for me it is a very masculine fragrance and for this reason I don't like it. It has great longevity (+8 hours on my skin) which I wish I could say that I enjoyed but the sad truth is that I didn't.

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love the powerful, beautifully structured, and refined fragrances and this is certainly one of the most impressive ones of that type I’ve encountered. It has a depth and a starkness that sets it apart from almost everything in contention. It opens with a strong orange, geranium, and spice accord—almost unbelievably deep, smooth, warm, and rich. The orange and geranium do a magnificent job of completing and establishing a base for the olfactory range of the spices. And aldehydes—well, the whole top of the pyramid abstractly sparkles as a black diamond would sparkle. I find that these aldehydes that are layered with such deep and dark of notes are quite forceful and unique, and I approve because I love aldehydes. I don’t get “sweet” from the accord as others do—my skin reveals cinnamon and pepper in abundance even in the top notes and “sweet” is not a consideration. The mid notes continue the spices—clove, cinnamon, pepper, and nutmeg. The middle is quite different from the top notes primarily because the aldehydes have worn off and the scent has gained a smoother texture making for a more serious depth and darkness. Even with the darkness, the scent retains its warmth. Others mention cloves, but I don't get an overabundance of cloves even though cloves usually overwhelm other spices to my nose. By the mid notes the patchouli becomes noticeable—it apparently has always been there—overwhelmed by the spices at first—but now that it has revealed itself, I can see that it has been and continues to be the binder that holds the scent together—at least on my skin. Here is where I realize that, above all else, this is a patchouli fragrance. Twelve hours after application, my skin is still rich with a discreet patchouli / sandalwood emanation.

(Originally submitted 06 April 2007, Taiwan)

maccus's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

My signature fragrance since 1974. Heady, intoxicating, sophisticated yet atavistic. The composition defines mastery and is one of the great creations. I have not tried the reformulation because I was uneasy about what I'd discover. I cannot understand the desire to reformulate this at all much less the need.

Euphoria's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Subtle apple surrounded by a loud synthetic sweetnes the first hour or so, i can also detect a plum note in the top. When it dries down sandalwood is added and so is a pretty strong vanilla.
    Projection and longevity is okay, nothing more.
    It's okay, it's not worth its price, there are better scents out there if you're looking for a sweet fruity smell that's also cheaper. The best scent from the Hugo Boss house, but not so good go be a good fragrance anyway. Sorry, HB.

Euphoria's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

All i get is gross spices with alot of pepper to go with it, simply really bad. I don't care if you wore this during the 80s, i don't care if it brings back memories, i don't care if you don't like the perfumes that's manufactured today, it's simply a bad scent. Really bad, to say the least. Don't go with this. Smells like a used diaper with pepper.
    Only a really brave man should wear this...

.. If he wants to be humiliated and laughed at. Go to hell, Kouros.

periquito89's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

I like its fresh aspect but the raw fish feeling that I get is a considerable disappointment. Better if smelled from some distance.

IZOD by IZOD

A fresh, clean burst of niceness! That's what I get from Izod.
    Izod is a safe bet for any casual occassion. Initial projection is wonderful but longevity is a bit of an issue. As others have written-leave the cap off or you'll be chasing the spray top around the room as I and others have learned. Still a great-looking bottle.
    I can't find anyone objecting to this wonderful fragrance. In a nutshell-smells like a freshly washed shirt after being starched with Niagra spray starch. I love it!

Kohdo Wood Collection: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

Notes: black cardamom, orchid, kyara wood (a type of agarwood/oudh)
    This scent is part of the JM Kohdo Wood Collection (Limited Edition). Kodo: (Japanese, “the way of incense”) is a Japanese incense ceremony.
    This is an attractive wood-incense scent. It starts with green, translucent notes which suggest a tropical forest. The cardamom gives a slightly sweet, spicy aspect. There is a ghostly silver trail of incense smoke which lurks in the background. The dry-down gets pleasantly woody, with cedar being the major element and a minor brightening from the agarwood. This is lovely and warming on a cool day.

Swanky's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

This is not horrible by any means. It is, however, fairly generic. Quality, yes, but synthetic smelling. It's not a Coty-level synthetic, but for the price this commands, it better not be.

In the last several years this combo of sandalwood, sweet and spice has been done to almost cliche' levels: Playboy Hollywood For Men, Deauville Pour Homme, Joop!, et cetera. This has neither the uniqueness nor the adventurousness for which one turns to niche lines. Not bad, but not impressive either.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Acteur by Azzaro

As has been observed already, this is an unsual one. Acteur is basically a spicy rose scent with some leather, patchouli and un-IFRA’d oakmoss in the base. However, the stand-out note which gives Acteur its unique character is mace. Lots of it, and just healthily short of overwhelming. The mace is instantly recognisable upon application, with cardamom playing a minor role. Rose is also almost immediately detected and the interplay between the rose, mace and cardamom makes for an almost unmatched opening accord. Acteur takes the mace of Moschino pour Homme , mixes it with the rose of Amouage Lyric Man (yes, I daresay, such is the quality of whatever rose was used here) and together with mainly leather, patchouli and oakmoss, produces an almost linear accord which lasts well into the drydown.

Acteur IS strong. Stronger, I would say, than its better known classic brother, Azzaro pour Homme. This is one frag that I actually respect strength-wise, liberal spraying powerhouse fraghead that I am. Longevity? This is an 80s power-frag. What do you expect? Seriously, with Acteur a little goes the proverbially long way.

Is Acteur an excellent product of perfumery? Are the notes balanced? I don’t know and, frankly, i don’t care. I just love Acteur and it gets many thumbs up.

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

Big thumbs up. An all-time fave. It puts me in a happy state of mind whenever I wear it.

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

This is my favorite from the CdG line. Unique and beautiful fragrance that can be worn year-round.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Skai by Comme des Garçons

I like to wear this one in the summer. It's a good fragrance, though it's a shame the bottle is cheap and messy.

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

I bought this for my wife -- but I wear it as much as she does. It's terrific.