Fragrance Reviews from October 2011

Scent-imental's avatar

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

i love this scent, i get the bitter notes people have discussed, and i just adore that. Not many florals come through, but the warmth and muskiness through the sharpness are addictive for me.

Yet to look at the bottle, light girly pink, you'd assume, wrongly, that it's a flowery, fruity maybe even gourmand scent, suitable for young girls, and i expected that kind of aroma, and boy, i was so wrong. My mother gave me this, she disliked it, and i know she hates fruity/florals, so thats also influenced my assumption. However its very darkly seductive, and lasts for ever. I put this on at lunchtime today, and am still getting wafts at 1.08 am, thats about 12 hours, of this delicious fragrance.

Frankly, i'm glad it morphs pretty quickly into the heart and base notes, as i'm not fond of the topnotes, and i know i say this about every scent i wear. THIS could become my signature scent. I feel it epitomizes me. Sharp and sexy, confident and bold, a little quirky, yet with a warm heart, and excellent staying power. Yep thats me alright :)

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

A first airy whiff of citrus and watermelon is enveloped in all its freshness by a mossy and ambery base. There is a certain spicy presence whirling in the air and a stressed dosage of black pepper enhances the masculine trail of amber and woodsy note of the base. A touch of suede tames a bit the prickliness of the spices while smoothing the general masculine atmosphere of tonka and woods. The final development is a sort of lemony-woody, slightly angular kind of smell that becomes more dusty and manly with its spicy temperament although manteins a final certain level of fluidity. The fragrance is dynamic, cool and elegant while soars high in the air with its powerful projection.

jPhx's avatar

Dervish by The Goth Rosary

Perfect for the cooler days that will roll in soon. Dervish is subtle and super smooth, none of the spices are overwhelming and as Wearw has said all blend wonderfully.

sherapop's avatar

Guilty by Gucci

GUILTY? How about BORING? Having sprayed myself with my entire sample vial, I feel prepared to assert that the only thing Gucci is guilty of in this case is massive dilution. This liquid is so flimsy, vague, and insubstantial that it smells like a hundred other recent light floriental launches. All that glitters is not gold, and all that is "gold" does not glitter.

For a lilac perfume with something to say, I recommend Ineke AFTER MY OWN HEART.

MarshallLaw's avatar

I Love NY for All by Bond No. 9

My new favorite Bond 9! I thought they were loosing there stamina but this is pure bliss!!!

cello's avatar

Castile by Penhaligon's

The opening is a blast of neroli and it's diluted honey effect. I do get the faintest of rose in this scent, and it is a green edged, new bud rose, but this never overwhelms the neroli. This is fresh, soapy and full of orange blossom. And true to Penhaligon's usual construction, the notes are clear and concise.

It does not last long, but for it's purpose and for this type of fragrance, it is a fault that I can overlook. After all, you can only feel freshly showered for so long, until, well, you are not.

Redbeard's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do a side-by-side with Gucci Pour Homme or Zirh Ikon today, but suffice it to say that GPH is stronger and smokier, and ZI is spicier, with clove and pepper. I appreciate that comes in an unusual 15 mL spray size, but it's weaker and less interesting than the competition. That, coupled with its dark-colored juice and the warnings that it can stain clothes, all means that it just doesn't merit a slot in my rotation. I'm also not too thrilled with the modern "gangster"-style gothic lettering and ugly ornate metal chain-mail filigree on the bottle, though I realize they've done this to be consistent with their brand's overall look.

Otherwise, it's a perfectly adequate ambery, incensey wood fragrance. It has a touch of that dull-as-dirt airy, supersweet synthetic wood note that a lot of current designer colognes have, but not nearly as much as the others do. The big problem for me is that it's more heady or "perfumey" than comparable designer brands, and this would get even more tiresome if the scent were any stronger overall; fortunately it's not over-the-top. Still, it's kind of a pity that I've noticed so many things about this cologne other than its smell.

Redbeard's avatar

GFT by Geo F Trumper

What a delightful pick-me-up! To my tastes, this, along with Balle de Match, is pretty much the pinnacle of men's semi-sweet citrus fragrances. It begins as grassy lemon, somehow capturing the brightness but not the sourness of the peel, with just enough soapiness from the blossoms thrown in to mellow it out. In a sense, it's lemon dishsoap, but only in the most delicate, ephemeral way, with just a hint of that sharp soap fizziness that irritates my nose when overdone. It also has a bit of the creamy headiness that I recently found in Creed's Royal Water, but it actually backs it up with something! As it fades, it manages to keep the ratio of tart lemon rind, sweet fruit, and soapy blossoms surprisingly constant, and slowly introduces woodier basenotes. It does venture closer to the brassy, golden metallic aura of Colonia Intensa or Lalique White, but like Burberry Original, GFT stops short of crossing over into that zone; I might call it an "organic" alternative to CI or LW. What's probably the most unusual here is that the stuff has superhuman longevity for a citrus fragrance. Even at the end of the day, I can still smell the quiet, soapy-citrus base, as almost a "clean linen" or "white musk" type of scent, but again in only the most natural, unforced sense, and with sweet lemon juice persisting hours beyond the point where you'd normally expect it to disappear. One of the best in its class.

Sadie's avatar

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

Am I the only one who smells a burst of sulfur when this scent is first applied? I've never experienced this before - perhaps my mind is playing tricks with my olfactory nerves and it's the actual sulfurous burning breath of a dragon that overwhelms me.

It's as if I'm at the entrance of the dragon's lair and the first scent I smell is it's sulfurous breath. Will the other notes begin to appear as I get closer to the beast itself? After all, according to the name, I must get near enough for 'le baiser' . . . Will I be taken in by the golden eyes with their vertical slits gleaming emerald? Light glinting off the edges of his scales, hear the sharp click of claws upon the stone floor . . .

Indeed the sulfur is abating, or perhaps I've become accustomed to it by now so that I no longer feel it's sharpness in my nose as I venture closer into the lair . . . I know his treasures contain gilded bottles of rare oils and perfumes . . . yes, I am starting to sense their flowery vapors wafting forth on the hot wind of his breath

I wonder if he has had lunch yet?

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

I Love NY for All by Bond No. 9

New and contemporary from the house of bond no 9 in NYC...

I have just received the sample from Harrods London and have worn it all day long...

Gorgeous and unique juice based around strong coffee, cocoa, leather, pepper, patchouli and vanilla notes...I can detect a very sensual gasolin/petrol note which is certainly very much of an 80`s accord...think garage/motorbikes/hot steamy attraction...I truly love this in a modern scent...there is a masculine/androgynous/vampish flair in this Bond...is this why the scent is in a Black bottle?...I wonder...

Excellent longevity and sillage...

Big thumbs up...!!!

sacredsystem's avatar

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

I'm absolutely mesmerized by this masterpiece. A warm, sensual, graceful yet confident scent that exudes quality and class. Smoke, earthy tones, woods, hints of incense and a creamy undertone that whispers elegance to those around you. The classiest vetiver out there period!

lindasue's avatar

Gardénia by Chanel

I waited a long time to buy this as the only option is the large $200.00 bottle. Like some other reviewers I have found that it does not seem to last and I have yet to have anyone notice or ask what I was wearing. I will enjoy it until it is gone, but my next major perfume purchase will be a fragrance with a little more complexity and substance. But, this may be the perfect fragrance for a job interview - so very light you could not possibly offend even the most sensitive nose. Just a thought.

jtd's avatar

Love In White by Creed

I had to try Love in White at some point. Given the Turin review in The Guide, I couldn’t resist. The review gives LiW the George Bush style benefit of low expectations. I was half expecting the devil in a bottle. Balance the low expectations from The Guide with the stratospheric expectations set by the Creed press mythology (yacht, 5 year world search, exotic ingredients…) and LiW could only wind up a head-scratcher. Turns out it’s a bit of a tempest in a teapot actually.

Floral blend, sweet synthetic woods. Loud, but otherwise not particularly remarkable for either its heights or its horrors. There’s something about a sweet yet acrid linear floral, though, that suggests personal product scenting. Shampoo or conditioner or the like. LiW seems designed along the lines of a hygienic or grooming product.

LiW wins by driving down the middle of the road and avoiding both high and low expectations.

01st October, 2011 (Last Edited: 02nd October, 2011)

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

Love and Tears by By Kilian

Love and Tears brought a whole lot of jasmine from the start. And then in the later hours dried to a jasmine musk. Very good for women of course but will still keep it for my own personal like for the smell.

01st October, 2011 (Last Edited: 08th October, 2011)

lindasue's avatar

Hope by Frances Denney

I read the review of vintage Hope and remembered how much I adored it! It was an amazing lovely fragrance - nothing compared! A soft oriental that I compare to nothing else. Learning that Frances Denney had a website I ordered a new bottle and the body lotion. While I was disappointed with the lotion, the beautiful perfumed cologne did not disappoint. I am as enchanted with it's soft elegance today as I was so many years ago. It is an underexposed treasure of a perfume. It is a timeless classsic proving as perfect for this mature woman as it was for that young woman so many years ago.

01st October, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th October, 2011)

Chic by Carolina Herrera

White flowers, urine , orange, plastic and cream. Huge bore. A real stupid fragrance.  Rosey-musky chic "synthetism" at its best.

01st October, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2011)

jtd's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

It’s not inevitable that a Big Seller will be bad. It’s not wrong to design a perfume intended to find a large middle of the consumer market. I don’t have a problem with the notion of Bleu. Bleu’s approach, evidenced by the fresh-citrus-woody genre chosen and the advertising is to attempt the big, new masculine that straight men will be comfortable with, straight women will like on them, and gay men will consider (the television ads are apparently deliberately homophilic.) And given Drakkar Noir’s history, Bleu could very well have the lesbian demographic in hand as well.

But marketing isn’t the problem. The fragrance is. It’s loosely handsome, offers decent but not bothersome projection and stays within the fresh/woody né eau de cologne range that generally shouldn’t offend. But there is a shrill sweetness, more aspartame than sugar or fruit, that becomes dominant as the topnotes fade and lasts through drydown. To my nose it’s disproportionate, a miscalculation.

The best way I can describe it is by diet soda analogy. Artificial sweetener in a cold, fresh Diet Coke is just fine. In a room temperature, flat Diet Coke, you wouldn’t touch it. (If you were uncertain, Bleu is the warm, flat soda in this analogy.)

01st October, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2012)

Joop! Homme by Joop!

One of the worst scents I have ever smelled. Sickeningly sweet and frequently over applied. This one should be thrown in the rubbish bin on sight... Disgusting! 1 out 5 stars.

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

As far as I am concerned, this should be renamed "A Taste of Hell". It could be I just don't care much for lavender fragrances, but all I can say is I find this completely unwearable and sickeningly floral. Bad smelling and relatively high priced equals an easy thumbs down from me for this 1 star out of 5 abomination.

Back to Black by By Kilian

Very nice fragrance that opens with a hint of chocolate. From the brief chocolate opening, it quickly transitions to a very natural smelling tobacco and honey combo that is quite nice and is on par with the also excellent Tobacco Vanille from Tom Ford. Longevity is only average, so with a price as high as this one, you will need to decide if it is worth emptying your wallet for. As far as the scent goes, I like it... a lot. 4 stars out of 5.

Présence Cool by Montblanc

As usual for Mont Blanc also this release is a boring and overly synthetic scent featured by the infamous and wicked chord of angular, chemical ozonic-aquatic notes (salt, oxygen, bamboo etc) with fruits and hesperides (bergamot, Apple etc). The final closing with amber, musk and woods turns the fragrance out common and boring. This formula is widespread out there. A touch of breeze of fruits, florals, metal and amber but nothing else.

01st October, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th February, 2013)

innana88's avatar

Faith Hill by Faith Hill

A very pretty EDT with a lot of sillage. The problem for me is that it is extremely static. It's like listening to a violin play a beautiful high E, which is lovely for a few moments but eventually starts to make you want to beat your head against the wall. The iris is very apparent in this one, along with the gardenia. I'm definitely an iris fan.

It would be pretty to spray very, very lightly, hence the neutral rating.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Royal Secret for Men by Royal Secret

A pleasant surprise indeed, I found this beauty in ebay for such a ridiculous price that I though it would be another of those cheap, synthetic drugstore fragrances, but I had to try it.
    It is very linear, no much of a development here, I smell a sweet creamy, powdery sandalwood from the get go, and nothing more. The sweetness comes from amber, but the clear dominant note of this fragrance is sandalwood. Rose and jasmine, as well as citruses are described in the pyramid, but honestly, I could not detect them at all.
    It is so powdery that my wife thought I had applied talcum powder with the perfume.
    Not a 5 star by any means, but good enough to get a thumbs up from me.

shamu1's avatar

Dark Season by Neil Morris Fragrances

I don't like this scent at all. I do detect a piney, Christmas tree-like note in this, but it's buried under a choking, sweet cinnamon and vanilla accord. I like dry, transparent coniferous scents, not something heavy and syrupy like this. I was expecting something so much better, considering how excellent Neil Morris' Gandhara is.

Perhaps if this were named differently I wouldn't be as averse to it. With a name like "Dark Season", I thought this would smell like a walk through the forest. Instead, this is smells like I'm walking into a Yankee Candle store in a mall.

MY RATING: 3/10

Bois du Portugal by Creed

For what it is, its perfect. This scent is amazingly formulated to give a deep, rich, warm scent. Like all other Creed scents, it is more of an experience than a smell. I however don't care too much for it. If I to describe it, it would be like walking through a dastardly hot and humid forest. I don't care for it myself, but I know that some people can pull this off.

Acier Aluminium by Creed

Its good. Definitely metallic (duh.) I can see how people think it has a banana-esque scent, however, it does not smell like a banana. I had read the reviews before I tried it, and laughed when I smelled it. It has a "thick" sweet smell that is almost palatable. Definitely an "old" scent, not in the sense of "old man" scent, but in the sense that you can tell it was formulated a looooong time ago.

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

VERY GREEN, VERY GOOD. Love it. If you are a green frag lover, this is a must sample.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Great smell. Love it from a distance. It does smell good up close, but it really shines when you wear it "out". When i first tried it, I found myself getting little whiffs of it from my wrist, and it was heavenly. Not sure if I'd ever purchase it because of its popularity, I enjoy a bit more unique scents, but nevertheless, this scent is bomb.

Original Santal by Creed

wear it out. up close it is VERY strong and nearly cloying. BUT, at a distance, this stuff is pure GOLD. My wife says that she feels like the smell "takes her away" to somewhere exotic.

Royal English Leather by Creed

Not sure if this being the scent of Jack the Ripper makes it really all that much better of a fragrance, but I still like it all the same. I wouldn't wear it, its an OLD scent. You smell it and can tell that it is OLD SCHOOL. I still appreciate it for what it is. It is in no way offensive, and I'm sure back in the 1700's this stuff was a specter from the gods.