Fragrance Reviews from October 2011

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

When in search of a Summer scent, the contents of these sea-blue bottles seem to be just what you've been looking for.

I almost wrote off Cipresso di Toscana based upon the opening, which to my nose was a typical citrusy lemon and grapefruit fragrance with not much depth. However once settled, this fragrance transformed into something in which its beauty is difficult to describe.

The scent is warm, somewhat herbaceous, sweet, soothing and woodsy. The citruses vanish in a matter of seconds when applied to the skin, making way for a beautiful blend of lavendar, pine, jasmine, cypress and patchouli.

Cipresso di Toscana is distinctively unisex, there is a definite ability for this to wear well on both men and women. Some say that this fragrance reminds them of nature and the Mediterranean. I've personally never ventured there, however I do feel as if this fragrance transports me to a picturesque island covered in pine trees, exotic flora and surrounded by clear, sparkling blue seas.

I find this fragrance to be very complex, hence the reason why I enjoy it so much. The absence of harsh citrus and strong fruity accords, places this fragrance in a unique category for a Summer scent.

This fragrance lasted a great while on my skin, and not for one second did I consider this fragrance too masculine for my tastes

Eau de Camille by Annick Goutal

Annick Goutal fragrances are like heaven to me. There is something so distinguishably old-fashioned and classic about them, particularly the more feminine creations from this line.

Eau de Camille is a beautiful, delicate floral with green undertones. The greeness in this fragrance is neither harsh nor bitter. It's more of a subtle grassy-ness more than anything else. A very crisp and Summery scent.

The jasmine and honeysuckle are really pretty. After an hour or so, the floral blend becomes quite clean and soapy, making it an excellent choice for those that enjoy their florals soft and refreshing.

Eau de Camille has been created with love. The perfect gift from a mother to her daughter. There is such a strong sense of purity and child-like innocence conveyed through the composition.

I was amazed at how well this fragrance lasted on the skin, especially for that of an EDT. I usually prefer the EDPs for longevity, however in this particular case the EDT suited me fine.

Honestly I prefer Annick Goutal's louder scents, however I have come to appreciate all her fragrances, and if I had the money, I would most definitely buy them all.

Like some have already mentioned, if strong honeysuckle is what you're after I'd tend to lean more on Le Chevrefeuille for my honeysuckle fix, however for something lighter and prettier, Eau de Camille is perfection.

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

I was reading Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez's opinions regarding Gardenia Passion before I went into reviewing this fragrance. They mentioned that Annick Goutal was not fond of gardenias, hence the reason as to why this fragrance is more tuberose than anything else.

I'll sum up Gardenia Passion as being a rather loud, yet beautiful white floral. I remember the moment when I first tried this fragrance some years ago. I was so very repulsed by it all. I found it much too strong, and in some ways bitter. I also felt the same way about Fracas then.

Currently I'm an avid lover of white florals, especially when they've been constructed well and come minus the synthetic components. Gardenia Passion smells natural and real to me. Almost perfection in a way. While Fracas is too buttery for my tastes, Gardenia Passion is like traipsing through a florist's shop and inhaling various floral aromas.

Gardenia Passion is rich and powdery once settled. Believe it or not, this fragrance smells absolutely divine on smokers. Despite the belief that white florals smell like 'old ladies', Gardenia Passion does not fuel this idea and instead comes across as being very seductive and elegant on the skin.

I absolutely love Passion by Annick Goutal, and in some ways Gardenia Passion is a more floral and less earthy and/or incensey version.

Despite its tendency to be rather strong, Gardenia Passion is never cloying. It has that real classic appeal, something that screams sophistication and femininity. I might also add that the lasting strength is impressive, especially for that of an EDT.

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

An iris fragrance in my mind, and based upon what I've experienced, is often counteracted with a distinguishable soapiness, heavy powder or an array of other floral notes. Heure Exquise is very different from what I'm used to. This is no Iris Nobile, Le Labo Iris 39 or Chanel 28 La Pausa.

I was actually surprised to see iris listed as a note here. When I first smelt this fragrance the dominant iris did not occur to me. I was too fascinated with the overall composition rather than determining particular notes.

Upon further reflection, Heure Exquise does have a lovely iris accord. This fragrance is stunningly simple. Somewhat dry, spiced powder with smokey undertones.

To me this fragrance is almost animalistic. It has many sensual qualities and it exudes confidence and an element of class. When the iris blends with the turkish rose, sandalwood and subtle spices, the result is almost ethereal.

Heure Exquise almost surpasses my undying love for Passion, also by Annick Goutal. Combined with great lasting power and an iris that shines above and beyond many iris scents on the market today, Heure Exquise is a sure winner in my eyes.

I cannot wait to get my hands on a bottle. The wait is almost too hard to bare.

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Being such a favourite of many celebrities including, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Jessica Simpson, the late Brittany Murphy, Ashlee Simpson, Fergie and Nicole Kidman, I felt it was a need to order a sample of this fragrance to see what all the fuss was about.

Vanille Abricot is sweet and vanillary. What you would most likely expect. If you adore the scent of apricots, sweet and juicy on the skin, Vanille Abricot is for you. Unfortunately, despite the fact that I understand all the hype surrounding this particular fragrance, apricot is a note that I find far too sickeningly sweet, even when combined into cooking. The thought of apricot chicken makes me cringe.

There is something very feminine and pretty about this fragrance, however I wouldn't call this sexy, unless a girl in pig-tails, eating an icecream is your definition of sexy.

The scent is very strong, so I'd recommend applying it sparingly or walking through the mist. I made the mistake of applying too liberally when I first received the sample, and almost gagging for the rest of the day.

I agree with the 'walking bakery' references, it does have a very gourmand feel, however to me Vanille Abricot smells more like vanilla icecream balls on freshly sliced apricot.

Hollywood must be very much influenced by sweeter scents, hence the reason why celebrities themselves release such sweet scents. I'm surprised that Comptoir Sud Pacifique hasn't managed to hit my shores in Australia yet. It's such a popular brand all over the world.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre d'Hermes is certainly a very interesting scent with many dimensions. I get a lot of woods, but also a lot of earthiness as well from smelling this.

In the opening, you could well say that the composition is rather harsh and strong. I was hit with a masculine take on sour citrus and pepper.

As it settled, Terre d'Hermes became much more likable. A deliciously spicy earthiness can be found with a somewhat resinous cedar scent taking centre stage. Patchouli isn't too strong in this fragrance, I find it to be only very subtle.

Once I reached the drydown I became slightly disappointed, because all that had made this fragrance different, had developed into a rather predictable, woodsy base. This fragrance lacked persistence and diversity for me.

Terre d'Hermes is very masculine, however a very daring woman could pull this off also. I read somewhere that someone described this fragrance as being 'outdoorsy', and I'll agree whole-heartedly with this statement. The scent makes me think of the outback, cowboys and dry deserts.

The lasting strength and sillage is very impressive for an EDT, and in some instances, while this fragrance didn't rock my boat, I do believe that most females will adore this fragrance on their man.

Pi by Givenchy

I'll start by saying that I'm the kind of girl that likes natural smells, particularly scents like tobacco, cedar, smoke and leather on her men. Occasionally I enjoy some sweet colognes, but it is very rare when I do.

Pi is a little too sweet in my opinion. To my nose, it smells like caramelised vanilla and musk.

I am somewhat disappointed seeming that so many women on the forum rave about this particular fragrance on their partners. I can appreciate the scent for what it is, but I can't say, from a female's perspective, that I find it very appealing.

It's almost gourmand in its approach. Perhaps it is a masculine version of Tocade by Rochas. Whatever it reminds me of, it makes a good choice for wear in the colder months due to its vanillary warmth.

I'm surprised to see its release date as being 1998, I would have thought it was a much more modern release, at least something brought about in the last few years. However I understand that the whole concept is supposed to be futuristic.

Pi is very much open to personal opinion. You'll either love it or hate it. I don't detest it, nor would I run from it, however I wouldn't run towards its wearer either

Pi Neo by Givenchy

Pi Neo is like a fresher, more woodsy and less syrupy version of the original Pi.

I find this fragrance much more wearable, and dare I say, much more unisex. Keeping with the futuristic idea, Pi Neo has sparkling citric notes and balanced, fresh woodsiness.

I am particularly intrigued by this fragrance, even though it isn't what I'd call unique. This isn't really sexy, in my opinion it's a nice, cuddly and casual fragrance.

It also has a rather clean feel to it, but not in a soapy or powdery sense of the word. I find the overall composition very refreshing, and certainly lovely on the right skin type.

The ice-blue colour of the bottle actually represents the scent well. I find the scent rather chilling and icy. There is definitely less vanilla is this fragrance when compared to its predecessor.

The lasting strength of Pi Neo is pretty good, however the sillage is quite intimate, meaning that it doesn't project strongly.

Despite my obvious preference for Pi Neo over the original Pi, I do believe that those that love the original will most likely like this, even use it as a Summer version.

Oud 27 by Le Labo

Oud is a note that is relatively new to me. As I strolled through the department store, I noticed Oud 27 and thought that it would be the perfect moment to experience oud, which is either a love it or hate it.

Oud 27 opened quite strong and edgy, however despite its rather loud entrance, I sensed that I was falling in love already.

In my words, Oud 27 smells like rich, resinous woods with a touch of spicy earthiness and fragrant smoke. It's not your typical run-of-the-mill type scent, it is very unique and sits more on the masculine side of things.

I'm a girly-girl, however I love wearing this. The scent makes me feel in control and sexy, in a bad-girl way.

This fragrance has a somewhat leathery feel, which reminds me of Bandit by Robert Piguet, however I wouldn't say that they are very alike in scent. There really isn't anything like it.

The earthiness does create an almost dirty feel, which can be off-putting for some. Oud 27 is very raw and I would say, shocking. It actually smells a little bit like sex.

I adore Le Labo's Oud 27. It is absolute perfection to my nose. The amazing lasting strength and sillage only adds to this fragrance's impressiveness.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bottle of this sitting on my dresser very soon.

bFlay's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I have only sampled this, but I will say I found it slightly fruity on top that mellowed to a citrus/moss base. Not really my taste and I can't speak for it's longevity. Not especially strong when applied to both inner wrists and mellowed within 10 minutes to the mild "green" or mossy scent. It's inoffensive. That's not saying much!

Blue Zinnia's avatar

Avon Soft Musk by Avon

Got this from a dear friend, but I could never really get enthused about it. It wasn't actively foul; it was just very, very synthetic-smelling and kind of odd to me. Set off my allergies, too. The later offshoot, Peony Soft Musk, smelled nothing like it and was really lovely, one of my alltime Avon faves.

sherapop's avatar

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The combination of honey, rose, and purple flowers in AP DROLE DE ROSE makes it impossible for me to wear this perfume without thinking of Jean-Charles Brosseau OMBRE ROSE. True, the AP composition does not open with a somewhat off-putting blast of powder and aldehydes, but the drydown has a similar sort of charm.

Imagine a trunk filled with taffetta and tulle. Dig around a bit, and you may even find a tutu and some pink satin toe shoes with long silken ribbons for lacing up over leotards. The trunk's lining has been dusted with talcum powder to preserve everything inside. DROLE DE ROSE gestures in the direction of this nouveau-vintage image, but stops short. OMBRE ROSE, in contrast, goes all the way.

Oudhiferous's avatar

Oud Shuyukh by Oriscent

[B]Oud Shuyukh[/B] opens with the deepest and most intense barnyard note that I have ever smelled. It is almost too much to take. And yet it has a deep and mysterious allure that piques ones sensual curiosity, and in another breath--there is ecstasy. Shuyukh is primal and wild--a beautiful untamed stallion with natural finesse and noble character. This horse roams free in the wild, but when he stops for a breath, there is a quiet and gentle breeze that carries with it an astonishingly sweet fragrance. After the wild barnyard note has reached its climax, Shuyukh reveals a sweetness that begins to silently emanate from its barnyard heart. With the texture of silk and the creaminess of white chocolate, Shuyukh's bold and wild intensity verges on the erotic. A few moments later, and the barnyard and sweet notes have realized their union in an elegant woodiness reminiscent of cedar. The notes only layer, and never disappear.

Oud Shuyukh not only hits the "spot" that only an Indian Oud can, it challenges and allures one into an exotic wildness of whole bodily intoxication. While the opening barnyard note may have you thinking that this will be your typical Indian Oud, think again. Oud Shuyukh is anything but your average (or even above average) Indian Oud. Shuyukh is nothing short of exceptional, unique, and aromatically complex. With its all-encompassing palette, Oud Shuyukh captures the heart of India, and expresses the deep passions and spiritual desires of the human soul.

joshwang's avatar

Style In Play by Lacoste

To all those who will blind buy it: DONT

I read many positive reviews and was convinced that I would love it. I don't want to sound too dramatic, but I found it repulsive. It gave me a headache after I put it on and all I wanted was to take it off. People around me curled their noses at the smell and it was EMBARRASSING. I bought it off the Lacoste website, so I know it was real. It smells really piney and dry. not like a fragrance. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY

joshwang's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I actually kinda like this. After smelling some other more expensive fragrances, this was actually better than some. It does smell kind of soapy but it's really smooth and "round" if you can describe a smell that way. HOwever, it IS very cheap, and you do get what you pay for. do not expect an amazing fragrance that you will fall in love with. That's not to say people don't, but don't expect it if you are blind buying.

Blue Zinnia's avatar

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I never liked this scent much to begin with, and after a few years of being unable to escape from it pretty much ANYwhere, especially at work (my secretary just about bathed in it), I came to loathe it. Had it been less concentrated, it might have been a _little_ more bearable, but it was so strong there was truly almost no way to use it discreetly. A single spray and the wearer was at. . . or in hot weather or a stuffy room, slightly over. . .the limits of good manners. After a warm afternoon in a smallish office with Kelly the secretary, I could TASTE the stuff. Not a good memory.

manicboy's avatar

Havana by Aramis

Note that this review for the newer version. I just don't get all the positive and superlative reviews for Havana. First of all, I don't smell any tobacco whatsoever. None, no pipe, no leaf nor any smoke. I love tobacco and have many scents in my wardrobe to prove it. What I do smell is an acrid and bitter pimento/red pepper note that dominates into submission. Unlike the divine pimento note in PdN NY, the pimento feels like the chef put too much spice into the mole sauce. I can't smell anything else as Havana feels one dimensional and just plain boring. I can't help but feel let down after all the hype. This may be Aramis' poorest offering. Avoid unless you're into a nosefull of pimento and red pepper.

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Alien by Thierry Mugler

So finally I found my Alien! I have always liked it, but I found it a bit too sticky! But now I am the happy owner of the EdT, and that one sings beautiful on my skin!

As Thierry Mugler is environmentally conscious, I am proud to wear all of TM perfumes who works well on my skin!

Thumbs up for Alien EdT from me!

dwrestle's avatar

Vermeil for Men by Vermeil

This is a true heavyweight powerhouse right here folks. It comes raging out of the bottle with those great macho smelling notes that I honestly couldn't tell you what they all are, but I for sure know tobacco and moss. It eventually settles down a bit, but it still projects strongly for a long time. After about 12 hours it becomes a skin scent.

If you could imagine a giant old school stereo system with all the little levers that move up and down, but instead of bass, mid, balance, ect, you have the notes of fragrances. Then say you are smelling Quorum well turn the tobacco lever way up, the leather lever down a bit, the power, and longevity levers up about 2 notches you will kind of get the idea of what Vermeil smells like. Excuse my French but it's bull shit that this has been discontinued.

MizM's avatar

Bronze Goddess Eau Fraîche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

Bought a decant of this because I heard it was not noticeably different from Azuree Soleil, which I loved and now have to pay much more to get. Well, this experiment served as a good demonstration for me of just how delicate an art perfumery is. Yes, BG is clearly the descendent of AS, and the difference between their notes is probably small, but they are NOT the same. The sparkle and scintillating quality (some of it is due to lemon) of AS is present only in the first 10 minutes with BG, and it seems to promise so much. Then there's some subtle white flowers for the following 20 minutes. Then for the next 90 minutes all I smell is melting vanilla ice cream (the cheap kind), and then it's just gone. Azuree Soleil captured not just the smell of a sandy beach, but the FEEL of one, too--exhiliration, expansiveness, the glittering sweep of the horizon. Why, oh why, did they go and mess with it?

Darvant's avatar

Matthew Williamson - The Collection: Incense by Matthew Williamson

Really, this one is a great incense smell but can't be ranked as a great incense fragrance because, as already underlined by others, the longevity is too minimal amd the projection almost evanescent. It smells just like incense, a cloudy and soft incense just surrounded by a note of labdanum, in order to colour the incense with a touch of spiciness, smokiness and woodsiness, and by a backbone of patchouli in order to impress structure to the smell otherwise too evanescent and vague. This in nothing than a well rounded incense turned out as a fragrance by a concrete patchouli and aromatized by labdanum and a whiff of secret balsams. An interesting cheeper solution for the lovers of sheer incenses.

HouseofCreed's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

Love this fragrance, it doesn't strike me as feminine at all. I get a nice citrus and ginger opening and then a more sweet vanilla floral base. Overall a great fragrance, longevity is about 8-9 hours on my skin.

Elite by Floris

I don't know what type of elite they were referring to at Floris, but this is anything but elitist. A so and so concoction of citruses and aromatic herbs laying on a mossy/woody base enriched by vetiver and hints of tuberose. I also get a barberhop vibe that in this context gives an unpleasant feel of aging. A fragrance of very very little interest.

sherapop's avatar

L'Eau de Gouverneur / L'Homme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

For some reason I find the made for men or unisex creations of the house of Comptoir Sud Pacifique *much* better than the blunt and literal feminine perfumes. L'EAU DU GOUVERNEUR is an excellent example and may even be my favorite CSP offering of all (of those I've tried...).

This smooth woody oriental perfume (and I do believe that it is 100% unisex--not a masculine cologne, by any stretch of the imagination) features a variety of very hard-hitting spices, most notably nutmeg and allspice, but they are blended so beautifully that none overwhelms, as so often happens when such spices are used in perfume. The slightly citrus opening is very shortlived, and the composition nearly immediately settles down to a gorgeous, tightly woven tapestry of spices and woods with medium sillage and good longevity.

L'EAU DU GOUVERNEUR (or in my case, GOUVERNEUSE!) is perfect for fall weather and makes me want to stroll down a path strewn with piles of multicolored leaves being jostled about by a cool breeze.

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Armani Mania for Women by Giorgio Armani

This perfume vaguely reminds me of Hanae Mori by Hanae Mori, except it smells more like orange and less like that annoying pineapple note, or whatever it is that I don't like in Hanae Mori. In any case, I adore this perfume and would seriously consider making it my new signature scent. I highly recommend it to everyone who is a fan of fruity-floral-gourmand scents. This is definitely one of the best perfumes of that genre that I've smelled so far. There is really nothing about this that I dislike. Mania for Women gets a big thumbs up from me!

Cuba by Santa Maria Novella

I am totally smitten by this tobacco scent—the first tobacco scent I can say that about. There’s a little – very little – citrus / spice something in the opening accord, but it quickly settles down to it main tobacco message. At first sniff, I thought that there’s not much complexity to this scent, but I found it’s more complex than I originally thought. The tobacco note has a slight aromatic aspect to it – something like a hint of a sharp lavender outlining the tobacco note. That aromatic note, with the leather note which supports the tobacco, is what makes this accord so special – it a surrealistic tobacco accord that I find compelling. The leather is very well done. Normally I would object to the presence of some leather, but the way the leather is presented here, I really enjoy it. The fragrance is linear, but it is so rich and fulfilling that the absence of movement benefits rather than detracts. Linear and very long lasting — SMN’s Acqua di Cuba lasts on my skin for over twenty-four hours. Very impressive fragrance and a must for a tobacco lover.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Crown Esterhazy by Crown Perfumery

First of all, this rare gem, being essentially an aromatic citrus cologne, despite the Eau de Parfum strength, is entirely unisex. Secondly, you may be reminded of and feel you're smelling like a cough drop, as lemon, melissa (aka lemon balm) and verbena are very prominent. Thirdly, personal preferences aside, I'm floored by the quality of the citrus oils in Crown's fragrances , whether it's the amazing top notes of Imperial or Quinine, the green part of Spiced Limes, the bracing notes of the blenheimesque Town & Country or the refreshing zest of this citrus-centered beauty, which is very subtly framed by light herbal notes and little else. It reflects a real commitment to quality, as well as pre-IFRA-reign-of-terror liberties. Esterhazy is a perfect choice for sweltering heat and humidity, which it will pierce and alleviate with its freshness, but it will cheer you up at any time and perhaps even help heal a winter cough

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Forget the hype. Forget the fougere/chypre dichotomy. Forget the grocery list of notes (I think I saw a kitchen sink note in there somewhere); they only get in the way of the SARTORIAL experience. Wearing it is like putting on your bespoke suit - yes, the one that took 3 months to perfect. You know you can wear it anytime with confidence because it's been tailored to fit you, and only you, perfectly. Sartorial evokes the crisp feel of a freshly laundered, immaculately pressed white shirt. It feels good! I don't know how Duchafour does it but this is one fragrance that lives up to the hype. I could even smell some tailor's chalk!

Above all Sartorial is a well-made, somewhat contemporary update of a gentlemen's classic. If subtle elegance, a dignified presence, and a sense of immaculate grooming are elements of style you are after, do give this Penhaligon's a go. FBW.

Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi

I very rarely use certain types of words in my reviews but when I smelled Dilmun for the first time on my skin I immediately thought: "Oh God if it sucks!

It sucks, there's nothing to do. Neroli, orange blossoms and other heavy white flowers on a messy vanilla base with green undertones on top. MEH One of the worst Villoresi I've ever experienced.

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

Not as bad as I expected but, honestly, nowhere close to Eau Sauvage. Rosemary and other aromatic herbs (bay leaf?) with a shy citrus note on top joined by lavender and surrounded by sharp woody undertones.

Barely nice.