Fragrance Reviews from November 2011

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Aramis Gold by Aramis

Any revolution, simply a less oily, less brash and softer version of this great classic with a less strong  sillage and a smoother base of leather and suede. The dosage of elements is more moderated and less dense, the bergamot is far less present and oily (and this understates the typical deliberately retro feel of the original version), the aromatic-green edible notes of clary sage and myrtle, with all their charge of exoticism and floral- tobacco facets, are now replaced  by more herbaeous and light elements, the patchouli is less insolent, the cardamom adds a touch of pungent modern dust to a more leathery and less rooty and woody base. I prefer the original formula a bit more dated and fat but far more epic.

mrblah's avatar
    mrblah

Rochas Man by Rochas

I love this gourmand scent.

Rochas Man smells like hot chocolate or mocha/vanilla latte with a floral opening, but the projection and sillage is not as intense as Amen. Its very discrete, which I tend to prefer. I could wear this everyday in a office environment, on a date, or just hanging out. You can wear it in hot/cold environments. Also, did I mention that this is probably the least expensive gourmand frags out there.

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

I get a slightly green, earthy, and spicy accord from Bulgari pour Homme Extreme just as Shifty Bat explained. I can smell the tea in this but it mixes in a way that it is not a dominant note. I enjoy tea scents but this one just did not excite me. I think the spicy accord mixed with the tea felt slightly wrong to me. I like soothing tea fragrances but this just felt off. It is not a bad fragrance, but I expected to really like it do to the tea note and the fact that I like the Bulgari House.

Longevity and Projection seem to be good. Good but ultimately uninspiring.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

This is a truly unique scent. There is nothing that I have come across that can even mimic this fragrance. It does have a metallic tinge to it but it adds to the refreshing smell of this fragrance. This fragrance is sparkling fresh, like the fizz from a newly opened can of Sprite.

It is unisex, and can be used very well by both sides. This is a very good fragrance with good longevity, projection, and sillage. Sprayed on clothes I can still easily smell this the next day. The best part of this fragrance is in between the transition from the top notes to the dry down where you have a sparkling fresh ambergris accord that is pure magic.

Marshmellow's avatar
    Marshmellow
    New Zealand New Zealand

H.M. by Hanae Mori

Review is for the EDP:

The opening smells like a nice sweet lemon skittle/lemon head candy. The opening lasts for a very long time, quite surprised, but I quite enjoy the opening so I welcome it. I get a little Paco Rabanne Black XS working in the background, quite faintly. The florals give it a kind of brightness to the fragrance. Dries down to be a mellow lemon skittle/lemon head candy with a bit more of a faint gourmand quality of vanilla and chocolate, smooth and smell blended. To me the entire scent smells like the bright lemon brother of Rochas Man. I find it interesting and it's a keeper. The projection is decent, longevity is excellent. Great!

hunternottle's avatar
    hunternottle

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

Before i purchased this scent i had read the reviews with an open mind, mostly all were bad, however some good. call me stupid but i bought it online without smelling it, this is becuase i live in a place where they dont really stock much. anywho once id tried it i noticed it was very sweet and like some people say it really wasnt a "wow" kinda fragrance. but i tried it again later but only this time to see how it faired, yet again nothing suprising. one day i wore it to work and it was on my skin, and once i began sweating the scent was amazing, i smelt the vanilla notes instantly and people who smelt it complimetned me! so i would say this is one of those fragrances that both smell great on some people and nto on others but at the same time only sometimes smell amazing, and other times just smell ordinary. not boring, but definatly a day time scent but even a late afternoon scent. give it a try its honestly worth it :)

Marshmellow's avatar
    Marshmellow
    New Zealand New Zealand

360 Degrees White For Men by Perry Ellis

The spitting image of Le Male. Just cheaper. Only having some small differences.

Synthetic. It is not as dirty as Le Male, it is cleaner. Bergamot opening with the Mint and lavender combination still there. Fresh and slightly bitter, slightly vanillic quality. Some orange blossom but without that indolic, animalistic quality.

Good! I would wear this because of the price.

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

The whole Bond line really bothers me. I think its the hype it gets from so many people and the way it has saturated the market more than the fragrances stand alone. For some reason all the Bond frags smell like a fruity Lifesaver on first note. I do get some vague sense of oud in here, but I really have to search and perhaps convince myself that it is there. The scent to price ratio is a real turn-off and if there's any natural oud i this I will eat a bowl of agarwood chips.

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a very dark floral as it collides with cedar and has the power to invoke a mood which in me is moodiness, not a desirable effect personally but very well done. I think it may be slightly feminine to my senses and I would rather smell it on a woman than myself.

1869 by Acca Kappa

When I want a classic masculine scent this is my go-to-guy. I don't wear it frequently, I usually like something cut from a more mysterious landscape, but for old-school spice and leather that leaves my mind sharp and my body fresh this does the trick.

kokonut's avatar
    kokonut

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This stuff is very interesting!

But at the same time it really has that dirty note and I just can't wear it.

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

Sutra Ylang by Bois 1920

The Bois 1920 bottles have always been very easy on the eye - they look like they have been salvaged from some Edwardian apothecary. Sadly, the contents have barely lived up to the glass eye candy. Sutra Ylang has an enterprising top and middle phase, but the final stages are typically Bois 1920, and typically nondescript.

The opening is a blend of verdant,citrus and sharp floral notes. In fact the rose and violet contributions are pleasingly vigorous, and Sutra Ylang feels delightfully amiable, spicy and sophisticated. It's a confident statement that really needs to be sustained and undoubtedly deserves a noteworthy conclusion. Instead, the blending feels at odds with the early entertainment. It's a breathless and powdery drydown, sweet and forgettable.

moltening's avatar
    moltening
    Thailand Thailand

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Herbal amber scent with a medicinal opening and a slightly 'culinary' heart.
    Challenging, but easy to eventually get accustomed to.
    7/10 at best in my book!

Francois Blais's avatar
    Francois Blais

Citrus & Wood by Yardley

A nice clean chypre, inexpensive but very well done.
    Longevity is average, but it's nice for office use.

man114's avatar
    man114

Excalibur by Avon

Circa 1969 sample dark storage container with no apparent evaporation:

Crisp green and woody up front. If you continue smelling it close to the skin at this point you can detect cinnamon.

It progresses to a mostly woodsy drydown, a dab of musk, a touch of spice and something akin to lime peel (but it does not strike me as bergamot if that was the source of the citrus) There is not much of a transition from the time the crispness wears off to this point.

It doesn't project much after the opening, drydown is quite pleasant actually. A touch heavy on wood perhaps. Nothing to write home about.

I wouldn't give a thumbs up. It is not exciting it will not offend after its brief opening. The crisp opening reminds me vaguely if a citrusy Polo or something along those lines. That might sound appealing but it is not as appealing as you would think

purplebird7's avatar
    purplebird7

Couture Couture by Juicy Couture

I avoided this perfume for years because so many people were raving about it--people who wouldn't give the time of day to classic fragrances. It wasn't fair of me, I'll admit. Plus, the name "Juicy" made me think of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit Chewing Gum, and my opinion of this perfume suffered as a result of that connotation. Indeed, it is a fruity floral, a genre that used to make me run in terror, as if possessed of demons shouting, "You're too old! Go wear Old Lady Perfume!" (which, by the way, I like). So, today, I sprayed myself with both Juicy Couture and Viva La Juicy. I didn't like the flanker, and the original struck me as just another fruity floral until a few minutes in, when the honeysuckle stepped to the forefront, and it became more floral. Juicy Couture is a tangerine honeysuckle flower shop. And that's not bad--it's just not my particular style. I no longer disparage this fragrance. It's good for its genre.

purplebird7's avatar
    purplebird7

Burberry for Women by Burberry

The note pyramid doesn't hit the target for me, except maybe for tonka and an amber that is decidedly vanilla. This perfume smells gourmand to me, like a creamy, vanilla, coconut, praline pudding underneath some tart top notes that were ambiguoulsy citrus--even though only bergamot is listed--along with lavender and mint, which are rather incongruous with vanilla. I can't say that I like it much. I do like the flanker, Burberry Brit. That one greatly pleases me for no easily explainable reason.

jPhx's avatar
    jPhx

Fairy Wings by The Goth Rosary

A very light and pretty blackberry scented oil that is not too sweet ... nice at the end of the day.

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Greyland by Montale

Comparisons with Gucci Pour Homme I are inevitable but where the Gucci is a bold peppery/incense laying on an woody/ambery base, Greyland strikes as much more starker and minimalistic. The main peppery/incense accord is immediately joined by a sharp cedarwood note that while it's perfectly executed at the same time adds even more severity to this extremely manly composition. Other woods, cumin and leather work as rough (but fascinating) refinements. Nice.

If you like bone-dry fragrances a-la French Lover, CDG Monocle Scent 2 Laurel or the aforementioned Gucci Pour Homme, give Greyland a chance.

Downside: zero sillage, weak lasting power.

bejahu's avatar
    bejahu

Ironman by Avon

Very enjoyable men's fragrance. Light, fun, refreshing, and long-lasting. I'm getting 5-6 hours. Moderate sillage. I'm going to be keeping a bottle of this in my gym bag. Very inexpensive and a fantastic value.

This would be an excellent choice for spring and summer. Highly recommended.

sherapop's avatar
    sherapop

Bond No.9 Perfume Oud by Bond No. 9

First off, let me boldly declare that I am NOT anosmic to oud. Why Bond no 9 itself carries a very fine oud fragrance familiar to me: HARRODS SWAROVSKI LIMITED EDITION. I am sorry to have to report, however, that Bond no 9 SIGNATURE seems like a serious case of "Mistakes were made." Have I been sniffing too much iso-E-super, and is it in fact fat soluble? I'm wondering because SIGNATURE smells to me suspiciously similar to a few different heavily iso-E-super-infused colognes. No oud whatsoever, as far as I can tell! No roses either, for that matter. Just that all-too-familiar "smacks of cedar" smell...

I have to give this one a thumbs down because of the mix-up in the lab or the decanting error. Either way, anyone looking for an oud perfume need not apply... Both this composition and HARRODS FOR HER appear to be the products of "modular perfuming" gone awry.

problem's avatar
    problem

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

People praise this fragrance so much. I was so excited to try it until i got to sephora and did. I was so disappointed. It opened up with a really masculine scent that i couldn't tolerate. it's so powedery that i really just wanted to wash it off of my arm so quick. I let it dry for an hour, the powder just keeps on going through out the fragrance with woody unpleasant notes.

I didn't like this fragrance at all. It's not worth the price tag, so complicated that it turned out to be so unpleasant.

try before buying, don't jump on the bandwagon.

Mandella's avatar
    Mandella

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

There's not much I can say about this icon that hasn't already been said, so I wont. I will say that many other fragrances have a way of morphing into camouflaged versions of themselves in the dry down. If this were true for Opium, I would gladly wear it now, but sadly on first spritz -Opium.On the dry down, yep....still very much the same.It is beautiful but whenever I wear it, I am transported back to the days of "Dallas" and big hair.

Roadster by Cartier

This is not a bad scent, but the mint in Roadster does not smell very natural to me. It reminds me more of menthol than mint. I was expecting a more natural smelling mint such as in YSL Live Jazz. In Live Jazz the mint smells like it was freshly picked. Roadster hints at toothpaste or gum mint to me and I know what fresh mint smells like having picked it right out of the wild before. I think the dry down is much better than the top notes though. It smooths out nicely into a minty light wood accord.

Overall I give this fragrance a 6 out of 10.

ysatis's avatar
    ysatis
    Ukraine Ukraine

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

to Zut.
    Nowadays the tresor is really awful. but my mom used to wear its original version. and i really remember how good it might be. but -- it's a pity it was past. ifra and et cetera created a good air freshener for toilette rooms (a tricks of fortune). but not a brilliant eau de toilette :-(

tonileefiore's avatar
    tonileefiore

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

As I sat down to write a review about my experience with Ambre Russe, two words kept coming to mind...confusing and blech! Sorry, I do not want to offend all the admirers of this fragrance but I absolutely hated this scent. On me, it was awful.

The opening is very very intense and heady with aldehydes, amber, booze (I didn't detect champagne or vodka...to my nose, it smelled more like bourbon) and more amber. Amber, amber everywhere is what my nose detected.

After a few minutes, the amber never passed but I was overcome by the most nauseating & cloying aroma of syrupy sweetness, like honey. Something hit me that was so cloyingly sweet, I actually felt sick to my stomach. Now, I would never describe amber or most resins as being "sweet;" so this is where my confusion set in. I thought, "Oh my...what is that note...what is that sweet aroma?" Together with the amber and spices, the thick, syrupy, honey-aroma hit hard and I actually felt like I was literally going to be ill.

Then finally, up rose a few notes of what smelled like stale, old tobacco & stale smoke. Church Incense? Russian Leather? Smokiness? Where??? When??? Are you kidding me???

Like Creed "Bois Du Portugal," Ambre Russe actually conjured up one of my most unpleasant childhood memories. When I was a young girl of 5-8 yrs of age, I recall regularly visiting my humble maternal grandpa with my wonderful mom. Of course, I wanted to greet my grandpa with a big hug but I always remember dreading it and recoiling upon doing so, ONLY because of grandpa' stench.

My grandfather was of course, an old man who enjoyed drinking cheap bourbon, whiskey, rye and home-made red wine. Given this, my grandfather always reeked of cheap booze, which I hated. Grandpa chain-smoked Lucky Strikes, pipes & cheap cigars, so he also always smelled like the bottom of an ashtray. Sadly, grandpa had neither the ability or desire to bathe on a regular basis, so he always had that unclean or "old clothes" smell with the faint smell of incontinence. Well, prior to our visits, grandad "touched up" by dousing himself with a cheap men's cologne, surely to make himself "smell better." The results were disasterous...the apartment was stifling and rarely aired out...I think you get the mental picture.

I recall telling my sweet mom that "I was afraid" of old grandpa. But I don't think it was grandpa I feared but visiting him and subjecting mysellf to those horrible, awful odors and grandpa's unforgiving stankiness.

Sadly, as sweet as he was, Grandpa stunk and so does Ambre Russe. Just awful...this fragrance actually makes me cringe.

01st November, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2011)

mrblah's avatar
    mrblah

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

It smells like Dior Homme Intense without the lipstick/makeup note. It has a really smooth sweet, powdery floral finish, similar to DHI. I didn't really get the leather note in this fragrance though. Therefore it is a bit one dimentional, but it is very versatile. You can wear this pretty much any time of the year and with any type of attire.

Since I don't really crave attention with my frags, I really enjoy this fragrance for what it is, a clean, fresh and warm fragrance. However, if you want something similar to DHI without the lipstick note, then this fragrance is for you. IF you want the lipstick note and a overall more complex frag, then stay with DH/DHI.

This to me is a perfect everyday scent.

01st November, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 November, 2011)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

To me this is an unusual Boss's fragrance with its watery, citrusy but endly dusty-milky construction. I detect an aromatic squash of watery citrus-lavender (mainly orange-mandarin), than cinnamon, nutmeg and a musky amber-vanilla in the dry down. There is some bracing initial freshness in the aromatic water of citrus, lavender, spices, pepper and anise. The note of pepper is prominent in a way this reminds a bit in the beginning the first blast of the pappery Bang (like a sort of blend of Bang and Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine). The slightly balsamic temperament is sheer and it keeps its presence even as well as the almost gourmand vanillic dry down has fallen. Some woods give structure. The final issue is a spicy-orangy ambery concoction with a fresh-aromatic always present undertone.

01st November, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2011)

Scentdawg's avatar
    Scentdawg

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

The start has a boozy opening as everyone has stated but on me it goes right into a beautifully smooth patchouli/cedar that is not overpowering but yet it's there to claim its presence for the rest of the day. It promotes a soothing feeling over me and I just love to get whiffs of the scent as air hits my skin. This is simply a fantastic scent that is well made and not your head shop patchouili. To me, this is a perfect scent and a must have for my collection. It will be a part of my wardrobe even If I had only 15 fragrances to choose from, I like it that much. I also think that Cruel Intentions and Rose Oud are fantastic on this line. Another to consider is Back to Black, Everyone keeps talking about the $200 price, but you can buy a travel refill which is about 30mls for roughly $80 after taxes and add an atomizer for $1 and you have a wonderful fragrance at a fantastic price. The projection is above average. Longivity is greater than 6-8hrs. It is more towards the masculine spectrum in my books. It's an A+ in my books.
    Now, a word of warning this is coming from a guy who loves Aventus, Spices and Wood, Original Cologne, Royal Oud, Jubilation xxv, Epic, Honour, Cruel Intentions, Rose Oud, Oxford and Cambridge, Oud Wood, Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Santal Noble, Musc Ravageur, Jeux de Peau, Oamassi, Santal Praline, New Harlaam, Bleeker Street, Riverside Drive and such fragrances. So take it as it is, my humble and simple opinion.

01st November, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2012)

noirdrakkar's avatar
    noirdrakkar

Adidas Ice Dive by Adidas

it is a fresh citrus orange scent with some musky undercurrents.

it is a very good scent for the price, and better than many of the expensive colognes. it does smell kind of cheap and generic, but none the less pleasant for some occasions.

01st November, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2012)