Fragrance Reviews from November 2011

TW Bolek's avatar

Poland Poland

Quorum by Antonio Puig

A masterpiece and class of its own. I will always have a bottle in my collection and wear it. Doesn't last as long as I would like it to. If it did it would be my number one. Muchos Gracias, Senior Puig!

TW Bolek's avatar

Poland Poland

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Magnificent smell. Mysterious, dark, romantic. Pathetic longevity. What a shame. Thumbs down for that reason only. If it lasted longer it would be one of my favourites.

Trauerkraut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

Camphor in hemp rope...or something like that!
    Strange but not dirty.

sherapop's avatar

Rose by Elizabeth W

Today I accidentally sampled elizabeth W ROSE (with which my LEAVES vial had been erroneously filled). To my nose, ROSE is a green rose perfume in the spirit of Perfumer's Workshop TEA ROSE, only smoother, less rosy and more green. The elizabeth W composition also dries down with a touch of soap, while TEA ROSE remains on my skin a rose-bush-in-a-blender scent from start to finish--which is a long time after application!

I think that elizabeth W ROSE is probably a more directly wearable rose perfume than is TEA ROSE, but I rarely ever don rose soliflores, so I'll stick with what I have for now, Guerlain AA ROSA MAGNIFICA and PW TEA ROSE, the latter of which I find mixes with any- and everything to add a dash of rose in cases of floral deficiency. (I actually think of PW TEA ROSE as more of a condiment than as a stand-alone perfume.)

Harmony's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Beige by Chanel

I am disappointed with this perfume mainly because of ZERO linger power. The perfume stays on for a couple hours the most, and it is unusual for my skin. It opens up with gardenia, and stays gardenia plus white flowers. I do not find any frangipani freesia, aldehyde, heliotrope, or amber, may be some honey or vanilla, but more vanilla flower.
    It is soft and polite perfume, and would suit a person who likes perfumes to be quite and delicate.

kushkov's avatar

Jaguar (new) by Jaguar

semi-sweet orange/citrus opening that quickly devolves into a synthetic floral mess. I get a little woods/musk in the drydown, but overall the cloying synthetic floral/alcohol smell dominates the entire fragrance. Not good. Not good at all.

Darvant's avatar

Incanto Bliss by Salvatore Ferragamo

Boring musky-floral aquatic for woman. I perceive the watermelon-citrusy feel made by the chord of yuzu, kumquat, apple and may be grapefruit, than a prominent aqueous freesia on the side of a deep lily over a musky base. Dry woods complete the work of this extremely aquatic, sour fragrance with a discreet level of floral sophistication.

r!cK's avatar

Iunu by Molton Brown

Great, expensive smelling and long lasting fragrance. On my skin it dries as quite a floral/oriental fragrance with woody undertones! Love it!!

dollars&scents's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana - The melange of grapefruit, basil and coriander in the opening yields a sweet, orangey flavor, reminiscent of creamy, tropical fruit. This satisfying opening scales down to the welcoming heart, with its orange blossom, ginger and cardamon, making a soft floral and peppery concoction. As the base rises to usurp the heart, its dry cedar and faint touches of tabacco and ambergris mix with some vanilla, adding a bit of powder, to give a lightly sweet, woody undercurrent to its warm spices and a subtle muskiness. This exotic fragrance runs the gamut of a woody, soft floral and sweet spicy composition. By the way, if any of you find any projection lying around, it might belong to this fragrance inasmuch as it lost any that it ever may have had, and to compound the indignity, the longevity is likewise deporable.

Lovescully's avatar

51.3N by Dunhill

51.3 N starts off quite gourmand with a delicious and slightly smoky rhubarb accord. Although the top notes here indicate that grapefruit is present, to me it smells more like apple is paired with the rhubarb. I always think of grapefruit as having a somewhat sour quality and I just don’t get that from 51.3 N.

Like a lot of Dunhill fragrances there is a strong underlying sweetness to 51.3 N that stays throughout its evolution. It’s not nearly as sweet as London or Desire Red, as here I think that sweetness is tempered somewhat by the spiciness of the pepper and the dryness of the sandalwood & cedar. For the most part, the vanilla accord stays pretty much in the background until about an hour in. Both sillage and longevity are average.

Overall 51.3 N is a very comfortable, value for money scent that I think would be appropriate for almost any occasion.

Dylski's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

Right, not too sure what's going on here-you see, i've been on a quest to find the "one" for 20 odd years, and found some lovely ones...Vercace L'Homme..Drakkar Noir...Kouros...L'Homme-Rger & Gallet, CK One..even Joop was a good crowd pleaser! Not so now-they've reconstructed & de-constructed the formulas so much, that they have no real power anymore-anyone else of the same ilk? Also tried the trendies & classics...YSL Pour Homme, Habit Rouge, Rive Gauche, D&G The One..Paco Rabanne...etc..the list goes on..then i found a fragrance that was a grower & seemed to have an affect on the wider audience-that was Story by Paul Smith...didn't used to wear it that often, but when i did, i used to get that look from people (men & women) that they were smelling something nice!
    Narrowed it down to either one of two things, or two things-Vetiver and or ISO E Super
    Got me some Encre Noir the other day-sprayed it on and felt like an octopus was sitting on my head-nice and inky-as other reviewers have said-thought nothing of it...didn't smell much more..thought it was just another crappy frag that had no pulling power.....wrong!! Tescos later on- 3 hours later-women homing in on me like amorous vultures-even the woman at the checkout asked me what i was wearing-i said it was Blue Stratos...yes..that does still smell good mind!
    Encre Noire has an effect on other people-even if you can't smell anything yourself-although for me, it heightens my perception of other peoples smells-which i'm guessing might have something to do with ISO E Super? It also has a massive projection, which doesn't overwhelm & is seductive. mmmmm

jPhx's avatar

Shadows by The Goth Rosary

A mild musk perfume oil with soft incense. For me, it's light and lovely, giving excellent longevity.

20th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st November, 2011)

BattleShipp's avatar

Sensual Amber by Bath and Body Works

My girlfriend wears this, I love it. It is positively delightful and amazing. It would be incredibly foolish not to give this a shot, its inexpensive and smells great

20th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 November, 2011)

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Reflection Man by Amouage

Right after the 1º spray, we have in Reflection an explosion of a super sweet jasmine note. After 5 minutes the neroli starts to appear, but not a crude neroli, extremely herbal like in Bois Blond from Atelier Cologne. Here we have a slight sweet version of it, and that's it. This fragrance stays like that until the end without changing. Boring and without the standard quality of Amouage.

20th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2011)

drseid's avatar

Sport de Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne

I wore this again for the first time in years. I generally dislike any scent with the word "sport" in it's title... This is probably the only scent that proves an exception to the rule. It starts off very bland, but quickly develops to a grassy green scent with a woody undertone. Very nice scent that while maybe not groundbreaking is still very wearable and distinctive at the same time. At last a sport scent that is actually worth wearing. I guess I may be using this more often. 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.

20th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2012)

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Where I live, in the 80's, Polo replaced Dior's Eau sauvage in gay clubs until Guy Laroche's Drakkar noir came along. Wearing Polo almost automatically meant you were gay. As a matter of fact, many heterosexual men refused to wear Polo for fear of being mistaken for gay. On some rare lucky guys, Polo had a rather interesting ambery spicy cinnamony smell but on most people, it was the cheap headachy patchouli stench that came out. I tried Polo hoping the sweet spicy notes would come out strong. Not a chance. I reeked of patchouli like almost everybody else. I haven't smelled Polo for years. It is no longer a popular fragrance and quite frankly, I am very glad it is gone. Now if the same thing could happen to Guerlain's Samsara, the world would be a much better place.

ironduke's avatar

South Korea South Korea

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

Quite cute and fluffy for a barbershop cologne, with some floral elements.

Detchéma by Révillon

A lady I knew who wore Detchéma extremely well once told me this perfume was meant to be worn with furs. As a matter of fact, up until well into the 80's, French adverts showed very glamourous women in furs holding a bottle of Detchéma. The reason is very obvious: Révillon was first and foremost a fur company! With or without furs, I really love Detchéma. The aldehydes give it a slight plastic-like overtone at first but once the dry-down process begins, the rich floral and woody notes take over. Detchéma is classy, feminine and very dressy. It is a warm and somewhat heady fragrance. I certainly would not recommend it for hot summer days or mere casual occasions. The olfactive pyramid I found in the Internet is very complete:

Top notes: Lime blossom, neroli, bergamot, and peach
    Heart notes : Rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, hyacinth, lily of the valley and carnation
    Base notes: Orris, sandalwood, tonka, musk and vetiver.

However, it has very little to do with the one I found in my 1981-1982 7e Dictionnaire des parfums et des lignes pour hommes: Jasmine from Grasse, daffodil, rose from the Orient, lilly, sycamore, angelica, iris from Florence. There is one thing for sure: Jasmine is very present in Detchéma but in a very good way. I usually don't care much for jasmine but when it is used wisely, it can be wonderful.

Turbulences by Révillon

I simply adore Turbulences and I remember vividly the day when I discovered it very shortly after it was launched. Too bad this fine fragrance is no longer available where I live... Turbulences is a spicy floral with a rather interesting olfactive pyramid:

Head notes: Cumin, mint, green notes, bergamot
    Heart notes: Carnation, tuberose, pepper, ylang-ylang, rose, orris root, lilly of the valley
    Base notes: Sandalwood, cedar, amber, musk, vanilla, vetiver

I believe I read that there was some white peach in there somewhere but I am not sure. Turbulences has a sweet ambery base that reminds me of hot apple and cinnamon doughnut stuffing. To me, Turbulences is almost a comfort-fragrance!

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Chaleur d'Animale pour Homme by Animale Parfums

A very pleasant scent that does not deserve the trashing it is getting here.
    Granted, is not a Creed or Guerlain, but for the money, you get a pretty decent deal.
    Bergamot is the dominant note on opening but it is well spiced up by the white sage, then it turns into this "clean" vibe, I have to agree that smells a bit like fresh laundry, but that doesn't mean cheap, or "Cheer" like. It feels fresh, green and slightly spiced, then goes into a green/woody/sweet drydown.
    Sillage is not that bad but longevity is kinda poor.
    Can't really give it my thumbs up, but gets a very high neutral from me.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

F by Ferragamo by Salvatore Ferragamo

Smells like cheap candy necklace candy (the kind that look like SweetTarts but aren't) and florals . I think the Jasmine and Orange Blossom aren't working for me in this (it may be the quality of the ingredients or the amount ..hmmm..)
    I agree that it does go cheap and chemical.

bokaba's avatar

Town & Country by Crown Perfumery

Town & Country is a quintessential English fragrance featuring pine, pepper, woods, herbs, spices, and musk. Town & Country was surely inspired by Blenheim Bouquet, but is one of those rare occasions where the inspired is superior to the inspiration. Crown certainly had a fragrance called Town & Country that was released in 1925, but who knows what that one smelled like as Crown was out of business by the Second World War. Crown was revived by new owners in 1993 who set out to recreate traditional English fragrances using traditional craftsmanship and high quality ingredients. Blenheim Bouquet tends to give me headaches with its synthetic edges. Crown's quality and largely natural ingredients do not offend. It is austere, spicy, woody, and musky--and I like it a lot. Town & Country is the scent of an uppercrust Victorian aristocrat who has no humor and no expression. It's also a lot cheaper than Blenheim to boot.

bokaba's avatar

Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi

The best sandalwood fragrance I've ever smelled is Creed's discontinued Bois de Santal, but the best extant sandalwood is surely Lorenzo Villoresi's brilliant Sandalo. His creations tend by hectic and brash--finally settling after several minutes. Sandalo has some of that though it quite smooth and old-fashioned compared to most of what's out there now. Sandalo is a woody oriental based around synthetic sandalwood (along with Australian perhaps), which is adeptly navigated by natural rosewood, which is sour, sharp, medicinal, and resinous. The opening is aromatic with lavender and exotic spices and floral heart of perhaps jasmine, rose, and carnation. The base consists of sandal, rosewood, tonka bean, and Villoresi's signature resin. If you crave sandalwood, this is the best one still available--but for how long no one knows.

dollars&scents's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Tabacco Vanille by Tom Ford - In the opening, one is majically transported to an established, tabacconist shop, with its delightful explosion of varied scents from its myriad of apothecary jars, and a concomitant assortment of fragrant spices. The initial slap of tabacco scales down to a pleasing level. From afar, a creamy vanilla beckons this mishmash to join the party of the heart. Here, the comforting vanilla along with the smooth tonka bean brew with the dry tabacco, and imparts its delectable sweetness. A faint, lovely floral - tabacco flower - pirouettes here and there, and a delectable scent of cocoa occasionally peeks through. The buff base rears and pulls the vanilla concoction into its pungent, fruity accords and syrupy, sweet wood sap, adding finishing touches to the vanilla star. This rich composition has superior longevity and very good projection.

Steve Seyboth's avatar

England England

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love the orange & rose top notes. Nutmeg and cinnamon are warm & spicy making it, for me anyway, a winter fragrance.

iodine's avatar

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I like Dzonghka's beginning: it's 100% Duchaufour, with its fruit, berries and signature spice notes, fresh and hot at the same time. Then something disturbing makes its appearance: a fat, oily, foody (but not in a nice way!) note I find also in other BD works (I'm thinking at Sienne l'hiver, mostly) that for a few minutes renders the fragrance very unpleasant to wear. It fortunately passes quite quickly and a sweet and spicy incense settles in, luminous and sightly smoky. An interesting take on incense, but not a choice for me.

iodine's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Unimpressive. A bland concoction of Duchaufour typical spices and woods, where I can't find any originality or suggestion related to the inspiration behind it! On my skin it is very tame and quiet, definitely non-exotic!

alfarom's avatar

Aoud Shiny by Montale

Yet another rose/oud combo from Montale? You have to be kidding...Rose and aoud with a slight patchouli note and some Violet on top. Not very interesting. Please, give us a break!

Moderately powerful yet long lasting.

EDJA's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

17/17 Homme by Xerjoff

Defenitely Leather Benchmark. Very Deep.
    The LV briefcase in liquid form.
    Great scent. The only issue is the price.

Darvant's avatar

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

Mediocrity at high levels.