Fragrance Reviews from November 2011

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

Received a big bottle as a gift and it went immediately to the bottom of the pile. It smells like someone went nuts with the hand sanitizer. A very clean scent in that sense.

Harsh and sanitary.

27 November, 2011

Oproust's avatar

JHL by Aramis

I like cinnamon on toast once in a while, but not on my chest. Intially, I found JHL repulsive and returned my blind-bought bottle. But over time, as I assembled the Gentleman's Collection, I thought I'd give it another try. I'm glad I did. JHL is a cinnamon-carnation explosion that will either make you cry like a baby or gasp in horrified ecstasy. I find the cinnamon-carnation/floral heart of JHL compelling, but I grow tired of it after a few hours. JHL doesn't develop much over time to my nose. It softens as it settles into the base, but the heart notes beat on and on. I'll give this potent monster a thumbs up because it is an interesting, compelling change of pace scent for me and is unlike anything else in my wardbrobe.

27 November, 2011

pepelestinker's avatar

Quattro by Mary Kay

Very unique chypre with a very potent violet like note. Think Aramis Tuscany with violet and other florals. This is Quattro. It's a little off putting if you ask me, but I do own a bottle and will hold on to it, as it seems it is probably one of those scents that takes a while to appreciate, but once you do, it's pure love. At least, that is my great hope...if not, I'll sell it to someone else who likes violet more than myself.
    1 month later: Yes, as I suspected I have grown to appreciate the deep violet in this. It is one of the most unique chypres I have had the pleasure of owning and using.

27 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 December, 2011)

Poison by Christian Dior

Pure unadulterated filth and I LOVE it! Big tingly jolt straight to the nether regions. Yes a love or hate fragrance and impossible to wear subtly but if you need a wake up or brightened Up try it

27 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2011)

sultanpasha's avatar

Tribute Attar by Amouage

Got Tribute today and what can i say, defintely the most unique surreal perfume i've ever owned or had the honour of coming across. this attar oozes pure darkness but in the most wonderful thought evokative way. It seems to put one in a certain light mental or spirritual state. Definitely something i would enjoy wearing for my own olfactory indulgence. After about 8-9 hours the darkness seems to melt away to pure comforting leathery and cedary warmth with the rose blissfully in the background. I could just go on and on and on about Tribute. It is just deep almost an abyss, its magnificent!

27 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2011)

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Discovered on the way to Egypt and perfect to wear there. Even more perfect to wear for years after with a knowing smile

27 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2011)

Morganna's avatar

Mirage by Madini

Mirage is one of my favorites from Madini, powerful, heady and sweet. Delicious UPDATE: I had to edit this review , I am not sure why this smells very different to me since the first time , I guess it really does change a lot, I still like this but I can no longer say I love it. It starts out with a strong green or almost chemical type aroma then gets sweeter later on. its good but not great.

27 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2011)

Morganna's avatar

Ambargris by Madini

Madini oils tend to be very changeable and you might love it one day then hate it next. This one starts out with a strong medicinal note but then gets sweeter and mysterious later on. It reminds of of sweet smokey embers... imagine your a gypsy in Romania or something and you are dancing around a fire with sweet smokey embers burning... the more traditional types might find it weird, as does my boyfriend but I like it a lot, do I love it? not sure .....does it compare to Coco Chanel for example ? not exactly, it does however last longer- but a masterpiece not exactly.

27 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2011)

Saharienne by Yves Saint Laurent

Bought at airport on the way for some autumn sunshine which is exactly what Saharienne smells like. Sweet and sunny drying down to dry woodiness, still a hint of sweetness but more autumn fruit and slight soive than the initial citrus rush. Little silage but great for day rather than an evening scent

27 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2012)

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

First of all, thanks Ellena for this great juice!
    What can I tell about this fragrance.
    It's a fantastic woody spicy fragrance with great scent of bitter orange.
    Start with sharp and strong scent of bitter orange, pepper, woodsy notes and vetiver all at the same time.
    But bitter orange and pepper are more intense than the other notes.
    In the drydown again you can smell all the notes plus only hint of sweet notes and stronger vetiver and stronger black pepper.
    It's not a sensual fragrance to attract opposite sex! this fragrance made for a real gentleman!
    I already have both EDT and Pure Parfum version.
    I've tested them both head to head.
    Both are very close to each other but at the same time there are some differences.
    While the EDT version is more spicy and earthy, the Pure Parfum version is more smoky and woodsy!
    In the EDT version you can smell vetiver much more and in the Pure Parfum the woodsy notes are easily detectable and the woodsy notes are stronger than the vetiver note.
    So if you like your Terre D'Hermes more woody than earthy, go for Pure Parfum and if you like it to be more earthy, go for EDT version.
    Very good projection and longevity with both but EDT has a little better projection but Pure Parfum has a little better longevity.

27 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2012)

bluerats's avatar

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Peoples reactions to this are so funny. You like it or you don't like it, that's all that matters.
    Personally I really like it a lot but it is of course very distinctive and unique so I totally understand people disliking it.
    Here's what you're getting in a nutshell;

white ground pepper
    patchouli
    leather
    cedar/sandalwood
    and a lot of hype

Darvant said it perfectly "claustrophobia in a bottle" it's the olfactory equivalent of the London Dungeon.

I love the fact that it lasts so long and is so incredibly pungent; when I'm paying this kinda money just for a smell it'd better provide a lasting experience. One small dot on each wrist from the concentrated oil 4ml bottle is quite enough to last a whole day.

I hope Nassomatto continue selling this soon.

Burberry Sport for Men by Burberry

I Received a bottle as a gift last year and I've only been able to bring myself to wear it 3 or 4 times. The opening is a screechy grapefruit that I find more entertaining than annoying. It smells ridiculous and fun and then fades rather quickly into a better-than-average sporty/fresh generic scent with a unusually warm gingery undertone.

You could do far worse in the sport category of men's fragrance, but you can also easily do far better.

Bora Bora for Men by Liz Claiborne

Not good. Not good at all.

Starts out smelling pretty interesting, but just as soon as I'm able to make sense of what I'm smelling... it turns to plastic. Just a terrible,cheap, soapy, artificial, and incredibly pungent stink that hangs around for a good long time.

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

I thoroughly enjoy this scent. For me, it will likely never be something I can wear casually as a day-to-day kind of scent. When I wear it, I feel like I'm in a costume. I need to be wearing a loud paisley shirt with a large belt buckle to feel like my scent and appearance match. It's definitely an attention-getter, but I think that's because it's clearly an anachronism of sorts. Especially on a guy in his mid-20s. I wouldn't think twice smelling this on my grandfather.

Zut's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

As a rule, I stay clear from light blue juices and "aquatic" notes. On me, they always end up smelling like lighter fluid. To me, Chrome is the typical masculine fragrance of the 2000's. No personality, boring, cheap and synthetic. They really don't make EDT's like they used too. IMHO, masculine fragrances of the 21st century (so far) are in a rut. Of course, there are a few distinctive and original EDT's but generally speaking, there is not much there, really. I think it is time some perfumer came up with a daring original composition that could start a brand new trend.

Renato's avatar

Andy Roddick by Andy Roddick

As indicated below, Andy Roddick is very similar in style to Echo. I've never been that taken with Echo, but my wife likes it a lot. And she likes Andy Roddick better than Echo.

To me it's a good alternative for warm weather wear, though I wish it was a bit louder at the four hour mark.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I love the smell of this. I find it to smell comfortable, warm and fresh. The thing is... I think wearing it as a cologne is ridiculous. I can't think of anyone that I would enjoy smelling like this.

I treat it as a top shelf Febreeze.

That I can get behind.

Blankets and sheets smelling like this? Awesome.

A little spritz on the couch before guests come over? Wonderful.

Spraying it on myself? Why??

Blue Zinnia's avatar

Golden Autumn by Long Lost Perfume

I haven't smelled this in almost 50 years, and can still remember it. It managed to be warm without any fuzziness: sun-warm, not sweater-warm, if that makes any sense. Golden, transparent and just sweet enough. I'd definitely wear it today.

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

According to Hermes, this is original cologne is available everywhere, but I've only ever seen it inside Hermes boutiques, even in Paris. That said, it is worth searching out, especially if you like being the only person around wearing your scent.

Eau d'Hermes has been described as sexy, skanky, dirty, reminiscent of body odor, even a sweaty man's crotch— and it is all of these things, especially on paper or clothing.

But Eau d'Hermes, like many older fragrances needs to be smelled on skin. On paper it is all cumin and cardamom and civet. Sprayed on skin and allowed to settle for a few minutes, it's a warm, deep, mildly powdery holiday pastry, bready not sweet, eaten over a cookstove after a morning of chopping wood. Ed'H is a single drop of Ambre Narguile under your navel fresh back from a winter morning's jog.

On my skin in particular, Ed'H becomes cinnamon and butter and warm skin, like eating snickerdoodles in bed after sex. A warm spiced wine poured over the body or your lover, bergamot and cloves and first-flush armpit. And perhaps it is just the image of Roudnitska modeling this after the smell of a used Hermes bag, but I detect a some leather and lipstick in there, too. Powerful stuff.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

For me, Jardin en Mediterranee is the masterwork of the Jardins series.

The main fig note is sharp and strong right from the first spray and lasts all the way through to the drydown. Other notes in the composition are not as immediately apparent, and I'm not sure how many people are familiar with fig wood. On paper (and on my wife) there is a feminine garden theme here that is pleasant and unique but not special.

On my skin, however, Mediterranee becomes woodier and slightly alcoholic. Whiskey in oak barrels, a Maker's Manhattan with a slice of fig in place of the cherry. There is just enough floral to keep this unisex in feel, but I feel manly wearing it (I don't know a lot of women who want to smell like they have been drinking bourbon before dinner.)

Mediterranee is distinctive and beautifully done, even better than Tom Ford Extreme, which smells similar to me at twice the price. From personal experience, Mediterranee smells very differently on different body types. And since most men will give this a pass on first sight of the pretty bottle, or first whiff on paper, I feel confident I am wearing my figuey whiskey barrel scent all alone in the world, which I like.

Zut's avatar

Monsieur Carven by Carven

In Paris, back in the early 80's, in many perfume stores I was told that the latest Carven fragrances were very synthetic. I really have no actual proof of that. However, Monsieur Carven is one of the most deceptive men fragrances I have ever bought. At first, the vanilla, carnation and cinnamon notes reminded me of the candies we used to eat around Christmas when I was a child. I bought a bottle on the spot! I was expecting a warm, sweet and spicy comfort fragrance I could wear on cold winter days. What a disappointment! I expected a powdery yet spicy dry-down. Unfortunately, Monsieur Carven was hard and dry on my skin. Two of my friends tried it with wonderful results. For that reason, I shall restrain from giving it a thumbs down.

Francesco's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

At First sniff I was nauseated by this fragrance. "It smells like fecal and urine" I said.
    At The second sniff (after 1 months) my though was "meh".
    Now I bought a full bottle of this GREAT fragrance!! I really love it, especially in the cold days. It opens very dirty and change in a sort of "sweet" musc!! Fall in love!!
    It stays very close to the skin!

Darvant's avatar

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

Wonderful and i underline it. It's a bracing, clean, conservative and old-school  woodsy cologne. This is a jump back in the tradition. What can i say? I tested it from a decrepit and dusty tobacconist's shop and i was at once teleported back in the time of my childwood when i used to walk for the streets of the town with my grandfather and the brother of him. This is an astringent and conservative fougere with its citrus-oakmoss-lavender central chord. There is a piney note not so dominant, bergamot and lemon, the main aromatic and edible greens (basil, clary sage, rosemary and thyme) that on the side of aromatic conifers produce the illusion of mint and finally a very woodsy dry down without amber. I don't detect soapiness while i catch the note of vetiver since the first minute on the side of bergamot and pine. A touch of floral sweetness coming from the most astringent carnation and geranium is counterbalanced by bitter tonka. The balance is stiff and the craftsmanship is old school. May be i was lucky to smell an old bottle but i did't inhale a synthetic smell. I'm thinking to come back nearby that old shop to buy a bottle for the upcoming moments i will be in the mood to wear it at morning. The bottle is wonderful, the smell is close to the skin and the longevity is proper of a cologne. Inexpensive.

Matt14's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

first off...i would hands down give this a thumbs up IF my gf liked it. No joke, i got yelled at by her for wearing this...haha.

i have received mixed reviews about this fragrance. every guy i've let give a smell has said that it smells really good and they would buy it if it weren't for the price. but almost every girl aside from a few here and there has said it smells like "old man".
    honestly i could care less what people think, if i want to wear MR, im going to. for the days that i care about what the ladies want to smell, i'll wear something more cliche like YSL.

anyway...for the top notes which last about 10 minutes on my skin, i get a lavender smell along maybe a wood kind of smell?

second note which lasts about an hour or so on my skin. smells like barbasol or a very generic smelling shaving cream with other notes, but the clove over powers everything. smells pretty fresh but heavy at the same time if that makes sense.

third note which lasts another hour to hour and a half on my skin starts to smell a little better and the vanilla is starting to come in. i also get a little hint of a wood kind of smell and the clove is very feint.

final note which is the best of all and lasts another 10+ hours on my skin. no joke, it lasted 2 days on my skin and i showered twice in between. anyway the final note smells like vanilla and maybe a hint of amber or something? idk what tonka smells like so i cant say if it smells like that. the clove/barbasol smell is gone or so feint that you cna only smell it if your nose is on your skin.

definitely worth getting a sample and trying out a couple times. for some people it'll grow on them, some will always hate it and some people like the scent throughout all the phases.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre d'Hermes is a truly unique blend of flinty earth, charred wood, orange peel and ozone.

Terre comes in two flavors, the original EDT and the Parfum which comes in a smaller bottle for the same price. Though more concentrated, the Parfum stays closer to the skin with less sillage, and requires the same number of sprays as the EDT. Try both on skin before you buy as they are quite different.

Terre EDT is an orange peel thrown at the foot of a dwindling wood fire at the edge of a cedar forest. It is cold stone, mineral and ozonic. It is literally burnt orange.

Terre PARFUM is the same orange hours before, uneaten but baking in the noonday sun. The cold mineral accord is gone but the cedar and charred wood are there, and the whole thing is somehow rounder, fresher, more ripe than the EDT.

NOTE: The wonderful cedar accord that is the base of both versions of Terre d'Hermes is notorious for causing olfactory fatigue. Meaning the Terre you smell today will be missing half its glory tomorrow. I have waited up to two weeks between wears of the EDT, which I own, and still can't smell the cedar.

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

Gentiane Blache is a truly interesting fragrance. It is a cologne, fresh and refreshing, with no citrus. It is clean laundry, mown grass and clover, and the scent of the spray a bell pepper gives when you split it open. It is summer and clean and layers of green.

I really want to love GB, and on first I do. But after thirty minutes on my skin I just don't want to smell it any more. Like eating too much candy as a kid, I feel I'll be sick if I smell it again any time soon.

I gave my sample to my wife who wears it occasionally. And every time she does, I fall in love again for thirty minutes, then ask her to wash it off.

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

Pamplemousse Rose is conceived as a classic cologne. Citrus over woods.

Unfortunately, the grapefruit top note is so overwhelmingly chemical it glows like a neon sign. It really is a shame because the rose is used to great effect here, managing to be neither soapy nor powdery and the dry down is a rich and beautiful mossy woods. I might go so far as to call intoxicating if not for that synthetic slap of grapefruit searing my nostrils.

Stick with its similar but much better, older brother Eau d'Orange Verte.

blackened's avatar

Spain Spain

Absinth by Nasomatto

Great stuff! Absinth is especial , appealing and stylish. It has almost the quality of a diamond, polished and shiny, (in this case, a green diamond).
    Unfortunately, as other reviewers have pointed, it lacks of the wished strength, so I should also have liked to see more presence in it. The initial blast is very grassy, herbal, with hints of dark moss , almost with a moldy quality. The opening is crossed by a slight cannabis touch , delicate but well defined, surprisingly well made.
    The absinthe note is very subtle, I´d say 'domesticated ', which even seems slighty caramelised.
    On the other hand , this green river runs through a riverbed, made of the typical 'metallic' musk of many other nasomattos, giving a clean feeling of luxury.
    The Overall is a little bit linear but the idea is very well executed.

periquito89's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Thumbs up for sure. This is the easiest scent to use when in the evening through the night. Initially I didn't care too much about it, but after try and buy many scents, of all types and nature, this is by far the most safe in terms of charming, happiness, discrition and other things I can imagine I would say about a perfume. Fruity and musk is what I most think about notes. It is my number 1 from Herrera's, following by Herrera for Men. I´m not a fan of any of the 212 series, and a bit neutral about CH Men.

michailG's avatar

Aqua Universalis by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I agree with most of the other reviews, even the thumbs up by L’Aventurier! From the first application I am not happy with what I smell on my skin. The fact that I still smell it after 3-4 hours could be a plus of I had liked it. Alas, I haven’t, I don’t. I am sorry to say. When I tried Aqua Universalis in Liberty London I thought it was interesting. Then I sprayed the intensified version and that for me had the WOW factor at that particular moment. When back home I couldn’t order a sample of the forte concoction I purchased a 2ml vial of Aqua Universalis. Unfortunately, it is too much of a goody-goody floral for me. Certainly a feel-good EdT available in a big enough bottle to actually use as a home fragrance ... again if you like lilly of the valley which for me dominates more than anything else this creation. If you wish to try a floral with an edge (and a bit soapiness I am afraid), try Clean Ultimate.

28 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2011)