Fragrance Reviews from November 2011

Trauerkraut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

I love Beyond Paradise for Men! A soft, gentle and inoffensive, slightly androgyne delicacy! It has the same kind of 'feel good' atmosphere as Fahrenheit 32, which I really do like as well. Very nice!

dollars&scents's avatar

Tiffany for Men Sport by Tiffany

Tiffany for Men Sport - a sport scent it is not, rather a clean scent ... a pleasant citrus opening, via its playful lemon and bergamot, reluctantly yields to a ferocious, spicy, green override, exceptionally furnished by juniper, fern and coriander. This newly transformed, green opening is lovingly carried to its heart, a muted, geranium and rose floral accord, which brings a glimpse of sweetness as the greenness subsides. This pleasing, light sweetness is relentlessly tugged at by its woody and spicy base, and is subsequently engulfed by the magic of the sandalwood, pepper, nutmeg and vetiver. I must say the spicy notes are somewhat bridled and, regrettably, do now reach full potential ... average longevity, but the lightness of this scent appears to affect its sillage ... the spices apparently are not the only thing that fails to reach its potential ...

winterlove's avatar

Fleurs d'Orlane by Orlane

This is an old fashioned white floral - I get powder and a bouquet of white flowers. This is not my typical style of perfume but I am going to try to layer this with some other fragrances from my wardrobe.

indianwells's avatar

Wales Wales

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Beautiful leather, never harsh, just so gentle, but pure leather, a top quality piece of furniture almost. I adore it. I thought I had purchased my last of Tom ford private blend, having indulged in Tobacco Vanille & Amber Absolute but I have to have this, wonderful.

jaguaroadster's avatar

France France

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

A kind of magic personified in three words : Green Irish Tweed.
    Not originally created by Merlin the Wizard himself right from his secret book of magic spells but rather by another legendary magician in perfume industry Monsieur Pierre Bourdon.
    Basenotes reviewers, fragrance lovers, connoisseurs, Epicureans…Everyone knows this masterpiece.
    Work of art, sober and easily recognizabled by its beautiful and mysterious black matte flask, it reminds me Led Zeppelin's album cover "Presence" where a family is watching a strange object, centre of attention on a table : Bottle could be the same 'thing' with the same attraction. Indeed, GIT means presence, elegance, charisma and that's why I'm not astonished to see how many famous people own it : Richard Gere, Pierce Brosnan or Robert Redford, Hollywood's finest cream.
    Because the "juice" itself is magnificient, brillant, clean, versatile, never aggressive, subtly measured. The essence of masculinity, an unforgettable scent for every place, every moment.

Opening starts gently with a fresh verbana and a hint of lemon. Follow then a middle note of violet infused with a sandalwood base. Green herbs, floral, slightly sweet…Just close your eyes, take a deep breath and imagine yourself walking on an emerald garden with a breeze from the ocean surrounding.
    Obviously, some reviewers have mentioned similar notes with Davidoff's Cool Water. I agree with them but difference with GIT is that drydown is the real signature, using the magic touch of ambregris. The chemical body reaction takes place and then Heaven and Mother Earth are reunited together for a ride through the stars. Feels so cool, confident as if I was protected by the scent. Good longevity too, it lasts roughly four hours on my skin. Expect many compliments, especially from ladies. So, Green Irish Tweed is my favorite and IMO probably one of the best masculine perfume ever. A real gentleman fragrance. A timeless classic. Often imitated but never equaled. Nothing more to say...

05 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 November, 2011)

drseid's avatar

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

The first thing I noticed when I put it on was a great spiced almost lime-like accord. My guess is it actually was a combination of bergamot and tarragon. Whether lime or bergamot, it smelled incredible, and I pretty much knew I was going to like this one. Middle notes were relatively green in nature, with a lot of the top note remnants hanging around. The base of the scent was just a tad powdery with some of the expected Guerlain fingerprint dry-down (maybe iris?), but not as prominent as others I have tried (and to me this is a good thing, as I dislike the Guerlain powdery house dry-down as a general rule) mixing with a nice wood accord. I find Sous le Vent very unisex and men should not hesitate to try this one.

The only issue I had with it was the longevity. I only get 4-6 hours with average sillage, and that is short for me. Oh yeah, I guess the $300 price is an issue too... Too bad, because Sous le Vent is really quite good and I would like to add this 4 to 4.5 star winner to my collection.

05 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2012)

heatod's avatar

Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne

The basil top note is incredibly strong. The first time I wore this I walked into the living room and my girlfriend asked me if I just finished cooking. Well made scent overall but you've been warned. It's a basil bomb!

Filomele's avatar

Jeux de Peau by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

French brioche, with demi-sal butter and apricot

King by Parfums de Coeur

Received this in a Christmas set, amongst many other samples. Not bad at all, despite other reviews, I didn't really pick up the resemblance to Drakkar, different noses I guess.

Longevity: 6/10
    Overall: 7/10

Unforgivable by Sean John

I was on the fence with this one for a while, decided to break it out again, dust it off.. I was certainly surprised how much I had "missed" it. Great fall scent, albeit, not the greatest.. It's un-offensive, and very safe. If not for the price, this would make an EXCELLENT scent for someone in High School.

Usher for Men by Usher

I picked this one up last year, blind buy, fell in LOVE with it, then hated it, then fell in love with it again. I've received both sides of the coin with this one, from myself/others, I personally don't believe it works well with my skin.. However, smelling this one on other people, it's other-worldly, amazing stuff. Surprising for something coming from "Usher".. but never judge a scent by it's name/brand.

I made it my signature scent for a few months, being as how I found a 3.4oz bottle for $25 at Ross. Great scent for someone in High School, IF, it works well with your skin.. not something to blind buy.. and, I'd worry about it being very over-used, Acqua Di Gio syndrome..

Longevity: 10/10
    Versatility: 8/10
    Smell: 8/10
    Overall: 8/10

UR for Men by Usher

Projection: 4/10
    Longevity: 3/10
    Versatility: 9/10
    Smell: 9/10

Hollywood by Playboy

Watered-down Armani Code, not for me..

Longevity: 6/10
    Versatility: 5/10
    Smell: 4/10
    Overall: 4/10

Miami by Playboy

Yuck.

Projection: 3/10
    Versatility: 3/10
    Smell: 3/10
    Overall: 3/10

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Very interesting, unique, summer oriented.

Projection: 5/10
    Smell: 9/10
    Overall: 7/10

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

I bought a sample of this stuff, I had ran out of my only fragrance whilst on vacation, and had a party to attend.. To my surprise, this stuff was a huge compliment getter, although, this could be because, I was more than likely the only person there, wearing something other than old spice/axe.. if anything at all. I personally like it alot, though it unfortunately reminds me a tad of Brut, just.. much more fresh, better, not dirty.

Projection: 7/10
    Longevity: 5/10

Iseult's avatar

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

There are two things I hate in frangrance: rose and vanilla. Rose reminds me of old handkerchiefs that belong to old ladies attending Sunday mass. Vanilla reminds me of cookies. And cake.

Parisienne is a rose composition, but a blah! one. Unremarkable in every respect. Too much focus group testing, and an appeal to the lowest common denominator?

As well, there must be something about bases used by YSL, because they all burn off very quickly. And, on me, they turn rancid. Was it something I said?

hollyhunt's avatar

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

Because of its oh-so-standard ordinary concept, a multi-floral, some feel it is boring. But this is my favorite Easter-time perfume, as a splash perfume. It is the Primavera of my scent collection. This scent can make you believe in fairies and the Easter Bunny and the sainted miracles. It may seem simple but it is actually orrnately woven, no minor keys, reminiscent of the good spirited smaller fairy kingdom. It dances well, like excellent champagne at a party. It creates a a grand ballroom where everybody is witty, tipsy, and released from the schackles of sarcasm and side-steps double-entendres that might be hurtful.

It is clear in spirit. I will not wear it in autumn or in winter. It is not a wooly spirit, and fine woolens are my favorite fabrics of all time. This is pure silk chiffon and silk oraganza, a pouf de la pouf of crisp flowery headroom, pale green tendrils lovingly wrapped around your body. It feels no pain, which means it is minus some maturity and depth that my favorite scents revel in. There is no irony or surprising juxtaposition in this perfume, but it is luxurious and elevating, and I like flying with it beginning with daffodil season through summertime.

Redbeard's avatar

Santal Impérial by Creed

I remembered this being extraordinarily weak from before, and it is in fact so weak that it's difficult to review (unless my vial has gone bad). It's a decent sandalwood, not too medicinal, not too sweet, with more of the scent of just plain wood than a lot of other sandalwood scents give you (maybe they added some cedar?). It's very smooth, and it has some of that tantalizing, semi-perfumey, expensive-smelling Creed base that they use a lot. Unfortunately, later on it gets kind of sweet and sticky, but by this point it's so weak that it could smell like maple syrup and it would still seem light. Some Creeds I'd be willing to pay the price for, but if step one in my decision is just being able to smell the damn thing, then this one is having a hard time getting past that stage. Plus, considering how many other sandalwood scents are on the market, I think it's time for me to move on.

Redbeard's avatar

Green Valley by Creed

I'm very excited about this one, because I view it as the Creed that out-Creeds their star player, Green Irish Tweed, in spite of (or thanks to?) their similarities. I think that they've captured some of the points I liked about my long lost Gendarme Green, and combined them favorably with GIT. The opening is a crisp, sharp, sweet blue-green, which turns very astringent very quickly with a short-lived lemon and a longer-lived spearmint. This all sounds very familiar I'm sure, but GV is dustier and grassier than GIT is at this stage. The mint and herbs give it a more mountain-meadow vibe, whereas GIT is down on the plains where it's warmer but the AC is on via the cooling influence of the violet. GV even brings in just a trace of those strong, pithy herbs that seemed so over the top in Chevrefeuille Original. All this time it's been a bit shifty and uncertain, but once it finally settles down, the base is one of the cleanest, brightest, truest grass scents I've encountered. It has less fruit and more sunshine than Greenergy or Bobby Jones, and not as much violet as GIT, as if sweet herbs from Burberry original or D+G original had been introduced. The biggest advantage GV has over GIT, though, is its strength and longevity. I can smell the full grass experience pretty strongly after many hours, under circumstances where GIT would have faded to a mere violet memory. Being forever in the shadow of GIT, GV doesn't get talked about as much, but is very worthwhile to seek out as a substitute or on its own.

Sazi's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

One of the best fragrances i have used. Uncomplicated lovely smell and it lasts. Don't over spray this though.

sherapop's avatar

Harrods Rose by Bond No. 9

What sets HARRODS ROSE apart from the crowd is the hefty dose of ambrette, which to my nose actually ends up making this more of an ambrette than a floral perfume. There is an exotic feeling here, rather oriental, but not in any of the usual ways. No patchouli, no vanilla, no incense/oud, no culinary spices. What's more, to me this composition is not sweet at all. I detect no fruits whatsoever, just a huge helping of ambrette, along with a lovely bouquet of narcissus, rose, and tuberose. To my nose, the narcissus is by far the most dominant of the three floral notes.

I happen to love ambrette. Small wonder, then, that I love HARRODS ROSE! Although this comes in a gold-streaked light pink bottle and is marketed to women, my suspicion is that there are some gents out there who would appreciate this not-so-pink perfume very much. This is probably another case where the name builds up expectations, and people quite reasonably assume, "Oh, another rose perfume: pass." In fact, HARRODS ROSE is not a rose perfume--it's a hidden treasure!

Harvitz81's avatar

Bottega Veneta by Bottega Veneta

This one is very smooth. It opens up with a short lived bergamot, but then the pink peppercorn takes over. This persists for about 30 minutes before the jasmine comes on pretty strong, but is laced with a very light leather. The leather is hard to describe as it’s so light, but imagine smelling a woman’s purse. Reminds me a little of the leather in Cuir de Lancome as it is more on the suede side. In the base the oakmoss really comes through laced with a little patchouli. This one I find totally unisex, but it wears a little more on the feminine side in the opening and heart. When the oakmoss comes through though I find it swings more to the masculine side. A very nice overall light leather fragrance. If Knize 10 and the like are too heavy for you, then give this one a shot for your leather. Overall I'd give it a solid 4/5

sherapop's avatar

Not a Perfume by Juliette Has a Gun

Apparently Escentric MOLECULE 02, launched in 2008, is essentially ambroxan, and Juliette Has a Gun NOT A PERFUME, launched in 2010, is also essentially ambroxan. Is there a problem here? Well, I guess that everyone has the right to bottle an aromachemical and sell it at 10,000% profit if they want to. And, amazingly enough, some people really will buy it, even at niche prices!

Although I have not smelled MOLECULE 02, NOT A PERFUME does remind me of my memory of MOLECULE 01: vague woodishness, a bit perfumey. Smells okay, which is to be expected, since this is used to boost the perfumic quality of perfumes, right? To my nose, NOT A PERFUME smells like the base of a men's cologne featuring cedar. It's not too masculine, but it's definitely not feminine.

Okay, I think that this once original idea has exhausted its fifteen minutes of fame. Time to return to perfume, thank you very much!

lovingthealien's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

I didn't know what to expect from the reviews, but found an unopened vintage bottle of this for 5 dollars. There wasn't much in the top that thrilled me, but as soon as it hit the dry-down, I realized immediately that I had smelled this before. It smells very much like the beloved Tabu for women. Indeed, past the opening, the scents are nearly identical in composition. The bouquet is of different flowers, but to the same effect. Out of the two, I definitely prefer Tabu, but this isn't a bad one, either.

Nightflight by Joop!

This one was a very good surprise, I wasn't expecting a fragrance that good.

Nightflight opens up with a citric note accompanied by lavender and an extremely synthetic combo that I couldn't identify.

In the drydown, pineapple, the star of this fragrance appears leaving a wonderful impression even being too synthetic, proving that a note doesn't need to be natural to smell good! Oh, that note is followed by floral notes too, but they aren't too strong, thanks god. Anyway, a very good bang for your buck, fragrance!

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Guerlain Homme starts of with a very prominent lemon note being followed by a combination of salty notes wheres after a couple minutes fades a little bit leaving space for the star of this fragrance: mojito, and so this fragrance goes until the end.

A fragrance that does not offend anybody but isn't that much pleasant as well, in my opinion. Very different from the usual Guerlain fragrances which I adore.

Orange Spice by Creed

Orange Spice is indeed a good fragrance. It starts out with a extremely dated aroma (which doesn't mean it is awful!) as expected, with a corpulent and synthetic orange note which makes me remember of Kouros Fraicheur, specially because after this strong opening that persists for about 5 minutes, spices kicks in with a pungent clove note taking the whole fragrance, but here the clove isn't a pure one, instead it is combined with
    that citric chord from the beginning giving another depth to this Creed.

Anyway, a long lasting fragrance that smells refined!

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

L'eau d'Hiver has the typical Ellena's DNA.

This one starts out with a semi-sweet floral aspect. Very transparent, very bright, as expected from Ellena. A very delicate and well constructed fragrance.

Like many has described and I agree, L'eau d'Hiver is like drinking a cup of floral tea sweetened with a little bit of honey and vanilla essence in a not so typical sunny morning in the winter, near a river and a not so far away orris garden.

An excellent fragrance that does not deserves a thumbs down just because it lacks longevity.

rafaela's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

Smells very much like the real gardenias that I have in my pots in the varanda, it's very beautiful and fresh, and lasts all day. Perfect for summer. I never wear it in the winter.