Fragrance Reviews from December 2011

LuvKat's avatar
    LuvKat
    Germany Germany

Back to Black by By Kilian

I so wanted to Love this one ,everyone else does. Tried it on 3 different occasions and unfortunately this one is just not doing it for me. To me it smells like a baby!, and honestly one that need to be bathed! I get a distinctive Johnson's Baby Powder note with a hint of a wet diaper a and slightly souring milk formula note as well!, its a very simple close to the skin composition,and the sour aspect intensifies with the dry down, in the end you just smell like you need to be burped and put down for a nap.

khrystyna's avatar
    khrystyna

Red Aoud by Montale

i really like aoud and i like other montale's aouds (especially black). but this doesn't even smell aoud-y on me... all i get is some bland sweet powdery scent that stays the same all the time. it reminds me of the 80s lipstick smell.

Tonyprince's avatar
    Tonyprince

Yatagan by Caron

This is perhaps my favorite male fragrance. It's all about dry woods, aromatics, and muskiness. This is beautiful and timeless.

khrystyna's avatar
    khrystyna

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

i liked l'air du desert as a scent, although it was a bit too sweet on my skin, so i expected a lot from this scent. i hoped for complexity, freshness and vetiver, of course. however when i tried the sample, all i got was just plain smell of home-made cucumber lotion my grandmother used to make (cucumber + some cheap cologne), which stayed the same, didn't develop at all (and even didn't last as long as some of the other tauer scents; but in this case i have to be grateful). i gave this perfume couple of tries in different weathers, but result is always the same.

Zut's avatar
    Zut

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Usually, I am a sucker for ambery and reasonably candyish fragrances. I love vanilla in every shape or form and tonka is one of my favourite notes. However, I really hate the so-called "gourmand" fragrances. You are supposed to eat your cake not wear it. Angel Men makes me physically ill. No kidding. It is just too sweet, too cloying, too intense and too rich. I also detect a "mediciny" note in the composition. Could it be the tar? Anyway, I find Angel Men really loud and annoying (not as much as Angel for women, but still). I truly believe that subtelty is a very important quality for a masculine fragrance. Angel Men is anything but subtle.

Zut's avatar
    Zut

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I am sure that all the devils in hell wear Angel, Samsara, Youth Dew and all the other loud and cheap fragrances. Angel is so disgustingly sweet and strong it gives me a headache and makes me feel sick to my stomach whenever I am too close to a woman who is wearing it. I just can't understand how such an awful stench could become so popular. Why on earth would anyone want to smell like a dessert cart on steroids?

lovingthealien's avatar
    lovingthealien

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

(Original Formulation) I am lucky to have stumbled upon a very nearly completely full original formulation 3.3oz tester for 10, yes, 10 US dollars.

The first time I wore this, it was summer in Florida. One half-spray to one wrist. After about 20 minutes, I had to scrub it off, but it was to no avail. Somehow, that tiny little spray was completely overwhelming, and was actually nauseating. And it stayed. forever. I put this one in my winter area and decided I would revisit it when it was a bit colder.

Fast-forward to fall, and it's 59 degrees for one night only. I decide to wear this. It was a bit more wearable, but still way too strong. There was just no way for me to judge if I liked it or not; it was just too humid outside and still too strong. It wasn't like anything I've smelled before, that's for sure. I again was forced to put it on the shelf.

Now, 2 months later, it's finally getting below 50 degrees at night here and it's not quite 100% humidity. I apply one spray to my chest. It's still strong, but this time, I finally can smell it all without it being way too cloying. And what do I discover but beautiful, intoxicating, woody bliss. Yes, I love it. Even though it's obviously not made for my climate, it will be very popular in my winter rotation this year.

Notes listed on the side of my tester:

"Fresh, Woody, Sensual
    Bergamot,
    Agarwood,
    Vetyver, Amber"

The opening is fresh and green moldy cellar cabinets in an abandoned building. I can't really describe how beautiful this smells, but that's how good it is. As the bergamot fades, there is a bit of the awkward, medicinal, almost burnt-sugar-but-not-sweet phase that is beguiling and beautiful. Then all of a sudden, BAM! Magical, intoxicating, woody bliss. Like a fire burning in an alaskan forest, only completely sexy. Fresh, Woody, Sensual, indeed.

The best part? It lasts forever. You can't get it to stop if you want to. It lingers after two showers. If you sprayed this on your shirt and left it with a significant other after a romantic evening, I can nearly guarantee they would be wearing it later. And it is so strong! This stuff is going to be impossible to use up.

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

Original Santal by Creed

Start very strong and sweet with sharp citrus and candy like smell notes.
    Reminds me of Joop! Homme but with sharp citrus notes mixed with it. smell better than Joop! at the opening but still it's too strong and too sweet.
    For about an hour that's all all get. then citrus fades away and only thing remain is sweet cherry smell. exactly like Joop! homme. EXACTLY!!!
    Projection is really good but longevity isn't great like Joop!
    If you're looking for a synthetic and sweet fragrance it's for you. but I recommend Joop! Homme here because it's cheaper and have more longevity!
    And please don't sniff it up too close! Because it gives you headache!

WellGroomedGentleman's avatar
    WellGroomedGentleman

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Very Dirty, animalic, I can't say sexy. why would someone want to spray this on themselves I wonder.

WellGroomedGentleman's avatar
    WellGroomedGentleman

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

maybe I don't get it. it smells very heavy, strong,dirty. like smoke. not feminine at all. really wow. doesn't smell sophisticated or friendly to me. wow. Didn't give it a thumbs down becaue I just feel like I am missing something there are too many thumbs up. maybe my sample is spoiled who knows.

Nasenmann's avatar
    Nasenmann
    Germany Germany

Cuirasse by Jacques D'Auvillers

I sniffed a lot of leather fragrances already but never have I found one that satisfied me so deeply like this beauty does! In fact this is as close to my personal Holy Grail as it gets... It is a very rich and creamy leather and at the same time it is slightly green, fresh and clean. Longevity is good, sillage is just right - not shouting but talking with a clear voice to those next to me. It was and remains a love at first sniff!

Blue Zinnia's avatar
    Blue Zinnia

Vent Vert (new) by Pierre Balmain

Balmain should have named this something else; whatever its merits on its own terms, and it does have them, this is not and never will be the incomparable Vent Vert. If the Mona Lisa were gone, you wouldn't paint even a very good picture of that subject in that general style, in modern acrylics, and then call the result the Mona Lisa. The most you could call it would be "Mona Lisa II".

Bostonredlox's avatar
    Bostonredlox

Zany by Avon

I wore this in junior high and I loved it. It was more "sophisticated" than the Avon perfumes that came in figural bottles and were marketed to little girls. This one was aimed at teens, and came in a bright orange and pink box with New Wave graphics that captured the spirit of the late 70s-early 80s. Yet to me the fragrance reminds me of classic fragrances. I'm not sure what the notes are, but it smells like it has a synthetic musk or amber note that was common among legendary fragrances of the 40s or 50s. It's been discontinued for decades, so I've been scouring eBay to secure a few bottles for myself. It doesn't last very long, and I wonder if its because the fragrance has lost its potency over time. Zany takes me back to junior high school. Wearing it again is like being reunited with an old friend.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Just received a sample of this. My thoughts: There are certain perfumes that go beyond just being great scents, they become more of an expoerience because the moment you apply them, you're instantly transported to another plain of existance while you're simultaneously still in this one. I can't explain it, but it feels kind of like being in two places at one time. A really surreal thing. That's a rare experince since I can count on one hand the scents that have made me feel that way every time I smell them: Serge luten's Douce Amere, Guerlain's Djedi, Vero Profomo's Onda and now, Andy Taurer's L'Air du Desert Marocain.

This is a unisex scent and the sillage is perfect. It drys down to a dry slightly sweet/smoky vetiver and lingers close to the skin for hours.

Alityke's avatar
    Alityke

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

I find this overly smokey - I've actually been asked if I've been smoking when wearing it, not exactly a compliment. Sort of ok though I certainly wint be purchasing again

nonnative's avatar
    nonnative

Batucada by L'Artisan Parfumeur

In my opinion Batucada takes after the real Caipirinha. An original note for a parfume, truly innovative. I don't really like to wear it but it is a nice fragrance. I like the lime and the mint but in particular the salty note.

Leilahdancer's avatar
    Leilahdancer

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

I really don't know what made me try this one. Maybe because Poison scared me off and this one was listed as lighter?

VERY SOFT on my skin. I really have to sniff hard! Lovely white flowers with a hint of fruit to start, then shifts to a bit woodier note as the fruit fades. The soapy flowers are dominant the whole way through. Then it just fades away.

Overall, PP pretty llinear on me. No sillage or projection to speak of. My husband asked if I forgot to wear any perfume... I can totally see the dryer sheet comparison. I can't say this isn't pretty. When I asked someone to smell my wrist, they said it was wonderful. However, I prefer a scent that doesn't require that close of contact.

I think this is a perfectly fine office fragrance. It is pretty, feminine and demure. But I wouldn't pay this much for "fine".

Roper-Hall's avatar
    Roper-Hall

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

I am afraid that this may be one of those addictive fragrances that I have heard about. I love the raspberry leather opening. It is so sharp that it almost makes my nose tingle. The leather is so true; it is like that crisp animalic note of a new leather belt, or the smell of a leather goods store. There isn't anything buttery going on here, nor anything powdery. It is balanced by some sweetness, but these notes are not readily identifiable to my nose. In the drydown the leather shares the stage with that unusual oud note of Ford's that seems to smell like Ajax or Comet cleanser at first, then settles down into an interesting harmony that lasts for hours. I just cannot stop sniffing my wrist when I have it on.

PeteH's avatar
    PeteH

Royal Oud by Al Rehab

Hmmm... This is, as Cerel9 commented, an overly complicated scent that doesn't pay sufficient attention to the Oud. It also has gigantic radiance.

Buy Oud Cuir d'Arabie instead.

Notre Flore Cedre by L'Occitane

A little citrus in the opening and then this one pretty much becomes an interplay between cedar and tobacco leaf. Back and forth they go throughout and I find it pretty linear from the heart to the base. Pretty basic, but overall a very nice offering. Not sure if FBW, but definitely worth checking out.

Vetyver by L'Occitane

This is a dry, rooty vetiver that plays more of a supporting cast to the wood notes than the major player. A little bergamot in the opening, but then the vetiver is most prominent. Some wood notes join in (cypress?) and play the major rule throughout with the vetiver ever present. Plays pretty linear throughout after this and lasts for quite some time. Projects well on me in addition. Probably my favorite from the L’Occitane line.

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

This one for me jumps right into a smoky woods fragrance laced with a little incense. The opening is great and persists for awhile until some amber and vanilla pop up in the base. Longevity and projection are great and I find this one enjoyable from top to bottom the whole way.

Eau de Badian by L'Occitane

Some citrus in the opening, but it is quickly dominated by the anise. It is very strong and persists throughout to the point that that is all I really detect. There is some notes that smell strongly of black licorice after awhile and that about does it for me and this fragrance. Not a big fan of anise, but hate the smell of black licorice. Definitely not one of L’Occitanes hits.

Eau des 4 Voleurs by L'Occitane

A powerful bergamot opening accompanied by a little juniper and lemon. This morphs into a juniper and sage scent with a little basil. Very green and herbal with the juniper stealing the show. The bergamot is present for awhile in the background, but is the first thing that departs (with the lemon). Some wood notes emerge on drydown. This is overall a wonderful fragrance and a shame that it has been discontinued.

L'Occitan by L'Occitane

A very well done lavender scent. The opening is all about lavender, but sort of in a muted way. It doesn’t come off too sharp. There is enough black pepper in there to add to the lavender, but certainly never distracts from it. The lavender persists for a couple hours and quietly fades where the heart and base of somewhat spicy cedar comes into play. I don’t get much vanilla in the base though listed in the notes. Overall, a very well done scent obviously done with high quality ingredients at a bargain basement price.

Odorloader's avatar
    Odorloader

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

Smells Like a pumpkin pie on the beach in spring for half an hour then turns into 1 million for the rest of the life of the frag which is about 3 hours on my skin. Crappy atomizer, short life, and low sillage holds it back but i give it an 8. The opening is where it shines.

Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

For the first 1 hour, it is quite heavy and cloying, it literally needs about an hour to cool down and enjoy. I am a fan of Mr.Kurkdjian's work, but I'd never think that as full bottle worthy, I'm just neutral on this.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Well call me a sampler but I really didn't get the hype. It is nice, spicy and incensey, but I just can't keep myself comparing it with Jubilation XXV. If you have the king, you do not need this.

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

OMG toothpaste for that price?! An interesting fragrance that may annoy some people, really needs approx an hour to settle down and enjoy, but the top notes did irritate me.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I think tuberose is not for me and will always be "women's scent" for my taste, can't really understand the unisex vibe. For the fragrance's performance, it is really an atomic bomb, has great staying power and sillage. Must try before buy.