Fragrance Reviews from December 2011

lovingthealien's avatar
    lovingthealien

Coriolan by Guerlain

A beautiful, sharp, bittersweet cyphre with a fantastic theme and beautiful ingredients.

The fresh citrus opening is foiled by the extreme green bitterness of the middle notes: ginger, absinthe, and juniper. The sillage is quite strong and herbal and it reminds me very much being lost in the woods. Juniper is a beautiful note, and with the ginger, it really brings out a strong bitter quality that you can almost taste. It is almost like the real citrus retires for an abstract interpretation of the idea of citrus - The acidic ginger, the bitter-crisp juniper, and the sweet ylang-ylang are both one accord and separate notes throughout the evolution. The base and the middle notes seem to be at war, and the tide of the battle shifts continuously, the mossy, resinous base winning (just barely) in the end. Just when I decide if it's sweet or bitter, medicinal or fresh, mossy or bright, I change my mind.

I think this is what puts a lot of hardcore Guerlain fans off. It isn't straightforward or delicious, not comforting or warm. It's vaguely unsettling and inhuman - like curious metal structures amongst deciduous trees in winter, both beautiful and unfamiliar. I think this unfamiliar quality was a deliberate effort on the part of JPG - just look at how many unique, foreign ingredients he used in the creation of this perfume. Truly, this perfume is art of the highest quality, difficult to interpret though it is.

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

It is fresh and spicy with woody notes that does smell good. I have some Borneo 3000 pure Oud oil and I believe this scent was trying to capture that fragrance in a synthetic way. Where as the real deal has a lot of depth and dimensions to it Oud Wood seems to be a snapshot of a aspect of the Borneo pure oud oil.

The only thing with Tom Fords offering is that I detected a synthetic latex glove smell within the composition which I could not live with. Apart from that it is a good fragrance.

dollars&scents's avatar
    dollars&scents

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari - An initial burst of refreshing bergamot, halfway between a lemon and an orange, with its tart and juicy green and very faint mint-like aspects, professes the clean and fresh opening. The darjeeling tea beckons the invigorating bergamot to stew in the heart, and infuses it with its somewhat powdery and medicinal woodiness morphing the sharp citrus into a more fruity bent. Guaiacwood, with its honey and smoky features, and papyrus, with its withered grassy and light wood facets, serve as a background for the simmering brew, which has acquired a sweet and wet earthiness. The waiting base, with its soft and almost syrupy amber as well as its radiant and slightly soapy musk, tugs for recognition and carries the tea blend to its delightful drydown. This classy fragrance can be an all-season treat, and has average projection, becoming a skin scent, and good longevity.

Possumbility's avatar
    Possumbility

Les Nombres d'Or - Cuir by Mona di Orio

Dab this on and it's great- pine, sweet tabacco, smokey leatherness. Spray this on-Lord help you.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men is a powerhouse floral chypre that opens with a loud, orange and aldehydic blast. The opening might scare some folks away, since the sonic boom that Giorgio unleashes has been known to induce clenches. But stand fast and tall and this 1980's classic blossoms into a very pleasant fragrance. The more I wear Giorgio, the more I enjoy it. As it develops, Giorgio transitions from a heavily floral fragrance to one that is rich with patchouli and more florals, before peaking with a sweet oakmoss accord, consisting of (in addition to oakmoss), honey, vanilla and amber. The dry down is incredible, hands down the best part of the fragrance. Giorgio lasts forever on my skin and the sillage is exceptional (or unfortunate depending on your point of view). This type of fragrance is so out of the mainstream now that you may never smell another person wearing it. What a pity. Giorgio is a beautiful, masculine that deserves more than a home in the TJ Maxx bargain bin. I store mine on a launch pad, always ready to take this puppy for a ride, full throttle up.

10th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th December, 2011)

Rochas Man by Rochas

Rochas Man, the woody oriental creation of Maurice Roucel, is a delicious gourmand that starts with a strong lavender note accompanied by green leaves and citrus. The lavender is long lasting until the coffee, vanilla and amber mid notes emerge, forming an oh so smooth and silky accord that tells you you've landed firmly in gourmand land. The mid notes also include a smattering of floral notes and a surprising milky accord. Rochas Man is basically a lavender, chocolate and vanillla fragrance. It is not dark coffee bitter like its fraternal twin New Haarlem, also of Roucel's making. Rochas Man is one of the better gourmands available and is relatively inexpensive. I find it to be a comforting scent, perfect to spray on after a long day at the office or after your favorite football team gets trounced by a lesser opponent. I enjoy gourmand fragrances and Rochas Man is near the top of my list. It really isn't prone to being trounced by its opponents, related or otherwise.

10th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2011)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Anyone who's expecting a bold and deep rose in the same vein of C&S No.88 should be prepared for a big disappointed. Instead if you're up for a woody/incensey/peppery composition enriched by a transparent rose note, this is a fantastic fragrance to check out.

Aldehydes get the party started immediately joined by a massive (but never overdone) dose of cedarwood and some frankincense. A transparent peppery rose floats around adding refinements and character. The fragrance slowly turns into an amazing, slightly powdery, woody/spicy drydonw that lasts for ages (this is the best part IMO even if the huge amount of Iso E Super can result off-putting to someone).

Overall, Rose 31 is more of a woody fragrance than a rose one and brings to mind of many Duchafour's compositions (Paestum Rose above all) for its transparency, radiance and general style. It could have been easily included in the Comme Des Garcons Series 2 Red as Cedar with the only difference that it would have costed 1/3 the price.

Good.

10th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 January, 2012)

racuda's avatar
    racuda

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

This is quite possibly the best scent I have ever smelled. It is soft and cuddly with rounded edges. It is the yin to Guerlain Vetiver's yang.

10th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2012)

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

I've smelt it either exhaling from a feminine skin and from the masculine skin (on my wrist and exhaling from a friend of mine that wears it using to steal sometimes some spray at his girlfriend). I can say it works better on the masculine side. It's on the same vein of Daisy Marc Jacobs (better blended and less synthetic and vanillic in my opinion) and smells as a floral fresh musk with a patchouli backbone and a touch of final amber or vanilla. Some tropical flowers and fruits whirl in the air  and, according with Foetidus, i detect a sort of violet smell around in the musky freshness that may be is not properly produced by the real  presence of violet leaves. The smell is cool, aromatic and woodsy as well as some mint would be in the mix. May be the blend of pears and tiare produces this effect around, a sort of white, fresh, sweetly mild and joyful kind of exotic smell. I think that the combination of pear, musk, tiare and amber exudes that sort of aromatic-floral, dry and white kind of smell that characterizes the fragrance. Not so bad after all in my opinion.

10th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2013)

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

cK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein

A total sleeper of a fragrance and the price is absurdly low for the quality and price per mL. This is basically a cherry, tobacco, and vanilla fragrance with an nice touch of pepper. What I really like about this fragrance is that the spices stick around and it doesn't become a typical vanilla oriental type dry down. This has things in common with Spice Bomb, Eau Des Baux, Bogart Pour Homme, and Burberry London. That's keeping pretty good company and what's even more shocking is that it just doesn't emulate them, it straight out beats them. This lasts a long time and projects rather well. It never becomes cloying or overly chemical. You can say what you like about the bottle and the fact that CK makes it, but it's hard to argue that it doesn't smell damn good. In fact if this was made by Chanel, Dior, or another niche company this would be selling for a lot more and getting tons of hype. CK one Shock is that good.

10th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 February, 2013)

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Despite of being far better than the horrific and repugnant Lola Marc Jacobs, Daisy does not capture in particular any of my senses and does not correspond to my olfactory requirements. It's a fruity-floral, an infamous genre in my olfactory vocabulary, and is reminiscence about a bath soap or a shampoo without any trace of natural or ostensibly natural ingredients, so it could not be ranked among the worthy feminine concoctions. What i detect, after an harsh and almost lemony blast of grapefruit, is an airy fruity smell based on a central chord of berries, violets and musky vanilla ( despite the strong grapefruit i smell far reminiscences of Mure et Musc  by l'Artisan Parfumeur). This accord represents the backbone of a  fragrance that is very fruity and impressive in berries-violets but even  a touch appealing in the right addition of vanilla. The last is decently blended and is not caramellous in its link with fruits, too warm or suffocating as in Lola but averagely dry, soft in wodsy musk and airy. The dry down is fortunately balanced in the comparition between creams and woodsy notes. The presence of woods projects a powdery vibe, plays a balancing role and understates the synthetic feel. While Daisy could be worn in summer time Lola is simply an abortion  of bombastic fruity-warm industrial caramel. Under the mediocrity in my opinion anyway.

10th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 November, 2013)

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

Love by By Kilian

"The devouring passion of an orange blosson powdered with glazed sugar." Yeah Kilian, I think you said almost perfectly how this scent smells.

Love opens up with very sweet with a sugary note mixed with vanilla supported by a slight orange blossom note mixed with a hint, just a hint of iris which disappears in a blink of an eye.

Trough time the vanilla dominates the fragrance leaving a sweet impression which stays until the end in a very pleasant but faded smell.

Love is sweet, but with this particular fragrance, it could kill someone with diabetes. Neutral score just because I cannot see myself wearing it.

racuda's avatar
    racuda

Wild Country by Avon

My Wild Country is in a guitar shaped bottle that I received as a birthday gift in 1974. It is almost full since I never really cared for it. I just revisited this scent and it isn't as bad as I remembered, hence a neutral instead of thumbs down.

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

An amazing, caramelic, citrusy, dark, bright scent that captures looks and enthralls beauty. It is just as mystical as his brother, Dior's Homme. It opens up with the waxy iris blended with that sweet note, and becomes darker and more citrusy.
    An absolute masterpiece.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Smelling this was comparable to that of smelling luxury and Paris.
    A beautiful, sweet citrus evolving to many tastes to comfort all.
    A must have.
    It is formal, classy, and much to offer, and lasts about 8 hours.
    This is one of my favorites.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

A sharp and spicy scent that is quite inviting.
    It has quite a lot to disect from.
    It is innovative.
    It may not be a taste for all.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

John Varvatos STAR USA by John Varvatos

A spicy, fresh vetiver. Starts off brazen with spices (notably ginger and pepper) with a bit of fruitiness. Mellows down into a vetiver with light spices and a bit of a bittersweet note. Then the vetiver loses all its scent and you are left with a transparent spicy accord that's... soapy.

Not bad, I've been wearing it as a daily wear for slightly chilly days.

As an aside, I'm disappointed that JV didn't stick with the usual bottle design.

Dernier_Cri's avatar
    Dernier_Cri

Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I got this perfume spritzed on me by a very elegant female SA at Neiman Marcus. I adored the fragrance for I would say appoximately 1 minute and 38 seconds and then I smelled something very familiar and looked at the SA apologetically and said, "Miss, I smell urine." She was not put off by my comment or the pained look on my face and encouraged me to let APS evolve and see what happened. I did. Let me digress here.... You know how reviewers especially when they really dislike a fragrance will juxtapose any number of often metaphorical and fantastically over the top odors along the lines of: "It smells like Frank Sinatra's ashtray full of half-chewed clove gum and flooded with third rate autopsy table disinfectant"? Anyway smelling APS in all it's dried down glory reminds me of someone dead drunk on Barenjager who then urinated (by accident of course) onto a cheap leather jacket.....some time ago. Nonetheless I find APS serious, balanced and fun to smell. It's another of those perfumes I like to wear to see how others react to it. As interesting as I find it I don't think I could ever really love it. But definate thumbs up.

pgcd's avatar
    pgcd

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

After having tried all their current masculine lineup - Blu Mediterraneo fragrances included - I have come to the conclusion that Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza is the most accomplished and probably their best work so far.
    At first spray, you are welcomed by a flamboyant, powerful citrusy accord, very much like AdP Colonia - that is, sweeter and more rounded that most "classic" cologne, possibly thanks to a generous use of petit grain (although I believe there to be some "regular" orange too).
    After that, things get interesting: even as the fragrance takes a detour down the "you smell so good" lane, the patchouli starts poking its raspy, opinionated head through, dislodging pretty much all the "heart" notes, until you get an incredibly long-lasting (I can easily smell it on me after 12 hours) and, for me, rather unexpected patchouli-cum-citrus.
    To me, the effect is almost like that of wearing a repeat application of a classic cologne: I smell good, but I still smell more like a man than a fresh-out-of-shower kid.
    Currently, one of my top three fragrances. And I bet that it would be Clark Gable's too.

ChoppedGarlic's avatar
    ChoppedGarlic
    Greece Greece

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Subtle aquatic of middling quality. Doesn't really offer something new in the table. If you enjoy this genre of scent (i don't), you could do a lot better and give Creed's Millesime Imperial a shot.

OnLyTNT's avatar
    OnLyTNT

Cavalli Man by Roberto Cavalli

This is my first review and I'm new to fragrance world. So, take it easy :).

True that it's acidic, powerfull citrus/lemon, powdery drydown. Funny thing, it stays more than 24 hours on me, even after taking a bath it was still on me. How about that?

Sure, its not a blind buy, there is nothing fancy about it. I think it's not for everyone but give it a try.

Another Smith's avatar
    Another Smith

Samarkand by Body Shop

I loved this perfume so much when it was first launched in the 80's and still have a tiny amount left. I was so disappointed when it was discontinued. HOWEVER all is not lost beautiful people - I think that I may have discoverd the closest match yet!! Quite by chance whilst in the high street outlet 'Lush', I came across a perfume called 'Dear John' and though not a perfect match I felt compelled to purchase several bottles. The price range is very reasonable also, from six pound upwards and so you have nothing to loose, give it a try. Remember, if you like it stock up as I have a feeling that this is going to be a good seller.

redrose's avatar
    redrose

Or et Noir by Caron

A truly gorgeous rose that has become one of my favourite scents. The opening is quite sharp, with the rose shining through clearly, but the perfume softens in the drydown to a rich floral chypre. I don't know what Caron puts in this scent to substitute for oakmoss these days, but whatever it is, it works. I absolute love it!
    Like BayKAT, I consider it one of my "signature scents", the others being Caron's Rose (now discontinued, but I have a small vial of the extrait which I' m hoarding), N'Aimez Que Moi, Parfum Sacre and La Rose de Rosine. Bliss for winter evenings, in or out, but also highly wearable in warmer weather. Perfumes of this quality are becoming quite rare, and although Caron is rumoured to be discontinuing Or et Noir, so far it's available through their boutiques. I hope it always will be, as I'd always want to have it in my collection.

Jacollini's avatar
    Jacollini
    Poland Poland

Feuilles Vertes by Creed

I think that's the scent you smell passing the Gates of Heaven. Really.

dollars&scents's avatar
    dollars&scents

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Bang by Marc Jacobs - One is initially treated to an explosion of a sparkly pepper, unrestrainedly furnished by the pepper triumvirate - black pepper with its smooth, almost woody presence, pink pepper with its hay-like, potpourri air and white pepper with its earthiness. This jumble is very velvety rather than sharp in texture. A faint woodiness beckons the lively opening to its middle. Here, in the heart, sundry woods and faint greens tame and infuse the vibrant pepper, and pass it to the waiting base. Bitter and earthen vetiver, somewhat peppery and herbaceous patchouli, musky and leathery white moss, smoky, citrusy and woody elemi as well as earthy and sweet benzoin create a dark concoction to absorb the heart. A byproduct of the commingling of the middle's conifers and dry cedar with the components of the robust base makes for a fleeting, turpentine-ish vibe, otherwise the much subdued, foreboding melange flows to its alluring drydown. This inviting composition can be an all-season scent, and has good projection and average longevity.

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

Jo Malone's Lime, Basil and Mandarin has a beautiful, bracing, citrus opening with a very pronunced lime note swimming just ahead of the mandarin orange and bergamot notes. This opening lasts about one-half hour before slipping behind the basil that bursts through the citrus accord and welcomes all who are near to the emerging herb garden. While I'm not a huge fan of basil, I find LBM's basil note to be acceptable. It its what the name says. The mid notes in LBM remind me somewhat of the mid notes in Polo Modern Reserve, a fragrance that is light years away from LBM in character and temperament. The emergence of patchouli really sells LBM. The basil becomes restrained which helps avoid a complete herbal takeover. I can easily see LBM in my summer rotation. A perfect fit for trips to my favorite Thai restaurant.

11th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2011)

Eau du Soir by Sisley

This is a classic, averagely sharp, green-floral-honeyed chypre of great sophistication that shows some similarities with the more earthy and aromatic  but less fruity-floral Aromatics Elixir which with Eau du Soir  shares many basic ingredients and a timeless elegance. The fragrance is heavy on moss, juniper, hesperides, obviously on flowers and musk. The combination of citrus, rose, juniper, ylang-ylang, a touch of honey, musk-moss and iris sets that sort of barely mild, soapy, almost neutral and opaque laundry atmosphere that is a tangy facet of the fragrance and constitutes a base on which the chord of rose, deeply floral syringa, jasmine, patchouli and iris roots  a tremendously  luxurious, discreet and womanly floral trail that turns out the  fragrance so famous and well valued among the women all over the world. Some well calibrated animal notes as ambergris , honey and cistus stress the spark of the  attractiveness while a complex spicy heart with a dominant note of pepper  stabilizes the level of sharpness and enhances the general depth and luxuriousness without instilling pungency while rooting a barrage to arrest the mellifluence. Some woody notes set stableness and balance. The outcome is a very classy smell of chic high class women full of charm and taste.

11th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 December, 2011)

Cuir / Cuir de Russie by Piver

The first sensation i felt in a while few instants after the first inhalation of this fragrance was the laundry smell of clean and wiped hotel rooms of the old city. Someting clean, soapy and talky-fresh whirls  in the air. This is the first effect of the combination of bergamot, aromatic resins and honey few instants after the  spray. With the time the soapy laundry feel evolves towards a soft ad aromatic leathery smell with some mildness made of balsams and  powdery woods. There is a boise', resinous and aromatic vibe exuding from the juice, may be coming out from  birch resin. A luxurious leathery  and honeyed fragrance very discreet, balanced and restrained.

11th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 December, 2011)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

Fougere Royale (2010) is a classic, spicy-aromatic fougere. No doubts! I honestly don't know how it compares to the original formula but my personal virdict on this iteration is not so positive. It smells good and collects all the chrisms of this kind of compositions but in the end it's not so distinctive nor particularly oustanding.

Now, we shouldn't forget that FR was the first fragrance to open the doors to all other fougeres but this current version it's not the original. It's just a pricey reformulation that sounds a lot like a marketing product. Let's put it simpler: it's like seeing a Beatles reunion right know...do you know what I mean?

Overall, FR (2010) smells good but nothing to justify the price tag. I give you three reasons why this is not worth owning:

1) this is not Fougere Royale (that's for sure considering IFRA's restrictions and different quality/source of the ingredients).

2) You can have plenty of classic fougeres doing exactly the same thing starting at 1/5 the price.

3) When you buy this, you don't get a piece of history. It's like buyng a Mona Lisa's poster in a fancy frame.

11th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2011)

Balvon's avatar
    Balvon
    Lithuania Lithuania

Douglas Hannant by Robert Piguet

Similar to Fracas, it's no bad, very fruity.Neutral...!!!

11th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 February, 2012)