Fragrance Reviews from December 2011

Only The Brave by Diesel

I totally agree with the bad reviews.
    This is a totally boring, fresh synthetic herbal, cheap smell, quite feminine .... To my nose this is a slight variation from Diesel's other boring fragrance , Fuel for Life .
    The only good part in this is the great projection.

Bang Bang by Marc Jacobs

This is an almost totally different smell form the original Bang.
    To my nose , this fragrance basically smells like orange, specially at the top and mid notes , and pepper , also present in the original fragrance .This is more herbal and slight.
    I prefer the original Bang .Anyway , this is a good fragrance .

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

A slight variation from the EDT .
    In this one , the orange and grapefruit notes are more present and stronger , but it loses the earthy-ozonic touch of the EDT .
    Projection is worse than the EDT and longevity is not impressive , being a parfum .
    I really love the EDT , it projects better and is strong .

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Not power .
    This is a slight , feminine floral fragrance .Not manly .
    No more to say.

jPhx's avatar

Tubéreuse by Annick Goutal

A beautifully soft and creamy tuberose that at the same time is quite green. Exquisite.

Stephan's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Vetyver by L'Occitane

This fragrance reminds me of Kyoto, Jubilation XXV, Oud Wood and Encre Noire. At such a price, this is the best buy. My favorite Occitane. I can smell the same cypres note than in Eau des Baux, but without the nauseating vanilla. Masterpiece!

cello's avatar

Hiris by Hermès

This is one of my all time favorites, the one perfume that sent me off on a never ending iris quest. But I always still come back to this one, like the comfort scent that it is.

My favorite time of year to wear Hiris is actually winter. It feels like the perfect match to a morning walk at first light, as the sun is making the frost covered plants and earth sparkle and glitter. The fragrance, at first, is cold and almost sterile, but yet it already hints at the earthiness and connection soon to come.

Just like you expect yourself to do on your walk, Hiris starts to warm up, and also warm up to you - from cold and sterile introduction to a shy sharing of her natural wonders. The warming earthy rooty smell becomes soft powder coated flowers, still fresh from their frost bath. Even warmer is the hint of honey that will sometimes greet you (and sometimes not I have found!). The softess hint of wood completes the nature walk, as the last frost melts.

Hiris is soft to me, and is nearly perfect. It can serve as an introduction to iris, or it could be the end of the iris journey. It won't over power, or powder, you, but will somehow make you pay attention to it's subtle shifts and changes, offering the steady rhythm and hum of iris, iris, iris...whispered.

Ambre Noir by Sonoma Scent Studio

Reminiscences of Mazzolari Lui and Gotham Neil Morris with this viscous, animalic, mossy amber  with some incense in composition, a sugary-gummy and leathery starring labdanum in the blend and a rosey floral effluvium exuding in the air. Another winter dark spicy creation very, very rich. The incense effluviums, the resinous labdanum of the forest and the dirty amber whirl in the air in a sort of mystic and exotic holy ceremony. The dry down is delightful with hints of myrrh and and obscure rosey sparks floating in the sky. Leather (or the leathery feel of labdanum) is present in the animalic blend on the side of musk, moss, amber, myrrh and may be something further of edible (honey?). The dry down is structured  by dirty and slightly smoky woods of the forest. Another   dark beast that is more on the mystic side than on the one of the naughty boldness or gothic fear in my opinion because of the almost spiritual chord of incense and labdanum, the faint patchouli and the too edible mellifluence of opoponax.

abcdxyz's avatar

Toujours Moi by Dana

I just bought a .5 oz bottle from eBay as a blind purchase and I am very happy with this fragrance! It is the first oriental that I have tried that is warm and inviting on me instead of heavy and cloying. I think this will be a wintertime staple from now on.

Notreveh's avatar

Sweet Redemption by By Kilian

Sweet Redemption opens up with an intense sweet suggary orange flower, a soft and delicate note almost without any citrusy aspect into it. A very pleasant and relaxing aroma if I may say.

There isn't much change on my skin trough time with this long lasting fragrance. The sweet orange flower note just loses a little bit of it's suggary smell and that's it. Is is bad for being linear? No way! But a little evolution would be awesome.

Thumbs up just because it smells good, but I don't know if I would pick up a bottle of it. At least not now.

22 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2011)

autumngleeman's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

I didn't try out Le Labo's Rose 31 until a year ago and by that time my bottle of Ungaro III was long finished. Although of course Ungaro III is much much older than Rose 31, I mention Rose 31 though because after trying it I think that Ungaro III smells like someone did a mashup of Rose 31 with Creed Himalaya. It has the sweet but dirty rose of Rose 31 and the Musky base evokative of Himalaya. That pretty much sums it all up to me. Ungaro III is a rose cyphre scent: you have the rose elements with the oakmoss/vetiver notes. And it's a rose cyphre with a musk base. The musk dirties and disguises everything (in a good way). If that's your thing you will like Ungaro III. I enjoyed the bottle while i had it and I recall that I received lots of compliments while wearing it. Longevity issues weren't a deal-breaker in my case. My solution was to overapply a little bit. Two or three solid extra sprays didn't increase the projection strength but it did increase the duration. I got decent/average duration with that approach.

22 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2012)

MonkeyBars's avatar

Esencia Loewe by Loewe

A hard rock-face jutting up from a peaceful, buzzing meadow, Esencia Loewe is a landscape of contrasts. One would never say a mountain does not belong where it is, and the same is true of Esencia's facets: they all work in absolute harmony, as the laws of nature do. Why? Modern science will never get to the root of the mysteries of the universe, and the same is true of Esencia; there are always more veins in the leaf, more corners in the cave, more dark matter, more details to unravel. And yet, as in a leaf, a coastline, or a galaxy, ineluctable cohesiveness pervades.

A burst of the freshest, brightest, most invigorating herbs and citrus greets me upon depressing the lovely, solid frosted green bottle's atomizer. Bitter wormwood, crisp juniper berry, and tart, sophisticated bergamot lead the charge, with lavender in tow. This phase is brief but leaves its ruddy glow upon the following phases. I always spray on my clothes so this tart, juicy phase has as much tenacity as possible.

Elegant clary sage and geranium leaves dominate the heart, flanked by lovely but very subtle florals, just enough to round out the dry herbs, spice, and resin: dusty tarragon, nutmeg, green galbanum and basil. I detect a very quiet, dry, almost fruity damask rose here that adds just the right poise without a hint of femininity. A mellow sweet glow, likely from jasmine, muguet, and the warmer base accords, but not easily detectable by any stretch, contrasts with the bitter, bright opening here. Crisp light coniferous notes form a side story, continuing the juniper through to a light fir finish.

I don't get any "leather" at all from this fragrance, certainly not in the form of birch tar, and thank goodness for that. (I cannot stand the stuff.) The base's animalic warmth comes from a huge, creamy musk, sweetened with a little amber and spiked with a light touch of patchouli. What are surely the maximum IFRA doses of oakmoss and treemoss continue the green, foresty theme. (I would love to try a vintage bottle to see just how much moss the original formula had.) Judicious vetiver, cedar, and a little sandalwood form the structural backbone.

I enjoy Esencia Loewe during all seasons, but Spring seems ideal. Underestimate the musk at your peril, however. While Esencia could not be considered potent per se (6 sprays is right for me), the musk can become overpowering in very hot weather; I have a theory that the musk accord was increased to make up for the reduction of moss in reformulation.

Though Esencia transcends time in its compositional inevitability, it falls at the beginning of the transition period in men's fragrances away from the classic bitter green powerhouses with its rounded, mild base. I agree with The_Colognist that Esencia is an aromatic chypre-fougere hybrid with its lavender, bergamot, moss, labdanum (amber) and tonka. Comparisons to Polo Green are valid -- though Esencia has no birch tar, much less pine and far more elegance and complexity -- but comparisons to other chypres (Chanel pour Monsieur) are not. This is a different beast entirely.

Personally speaking, Esencia Loewe is perhaps the only fragrance that appears to me as a mirror: it reflects all my facets in a cohesive picture that I relate to without any filters, without any masks, without any pretensions or affectations. Wearing Esencia is having an orchestral score accompany the movie of my life: I'm larger than life yet more centered while wearing it. Enjoy it with abandon!

22 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 January, 2012)

sinodor's avatar

Oud & Bergamot Cologne by Jo Malone

Went into the Jo Malone shop for some 154 someone had suggested and came out with this! Oud & Bergamot is ABSOLUTELY on the money! The rich yet subtle character of this earthy fragrance is astounding. To be honest, I didn't think Jo Mo had it in 'em; Creed's Oud doesn't come close to matching up. FIVE STARS of unforgettable - top to bottom.

22 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 June, 2012)

Park Royal by Anglia Perfumery

As well as the others underlined the opening of this Victorian aromatic fougere, in full Penhaligon's style, is  citrusy, laundry and aromatic. This traditional british style beginning characterizes in my opinion all the following development because the smell remains aromatic, green and orangy throughout the journey with a sufficient level of hesperidic angularity to be it ranked as a green baroque fragrance. It's not clear if the aromatic feel is determined by eucalyptus-cloves or by the chord galbanum-cloves; what is plain, as well as Odisseusm asserted, is that the kind of aromatic greeness of galbanum is quite different from the one exuded by eucalyptus. I think that in this composition is present the galbanum and not the eucalyptus because the aromatic feel is more green, resinous, mossy and shadowy than effectively balsamic at all. The dry down is basically moss and patchouli under my nose but still very aromatic and sour of orange (in its already known link with cinnamon or nutmeg) and lime. The slightly prickly and anyway virile subtle final effect is produced by a well orchestrated accord of ambergris and spices. The smell holds on to be dry, green, slightly herbal and citrusy till the end, unveiling a sort of "old english" stiff  royal kind of olfactory experience. A good scent for the lovers of the uncompromisingly classic aromatic-hesperidic style. Nostalgic of a left back ege of lords, clubs and courts.

22 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2013)

BattleShipp's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

I had high hopes from what I heard about this fragrance, but unfortunately it really doesn't smell too special on my skin. It smells very flowery and powdery, no tobacco at all, somewhat feminine. A lot of people seem to like it, I guess it just doesn't work with my skin. If anyone wants to swap, I've got a full bottle.

Acanthus's avatar

Jeux de Peau by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Buttered sweet popcorn - reminds me of kettle corn.

dollars&scents's avatar

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke - One is initially treated to a flurry of invigorating, citrus smells. This sparkling accord has sweet and sour aspects with the zingy grapefruit at the helm. Nascent, watery notes gather strength and come to the fore in a graceful wave of petrichor, that special smell of earth, caressed by raindrops after a dry spell, releasing its pent-up energy. Some metallic smell, perhaps, the exposure of minerals from the force of the rainfall, flutters about. Staid cyclamen joins to highlight its lightly floral greenness evoking thoughts of leaves bathing in a sun shower. These accords are quite refreshing, and trickle to the awaiting middle. Here, elegant magnolia infuses the chaste, rain notes with its creamy, lemony, floral goodness with ghosts of verdure. Also, a pepper note with its lively spiciness, as well as a cardamom note with its prickly smokiness add to the delight of the heart. Transitioning to its pleasing base, sweet and airy guaiacwood along with buttery and rich, virginia cedarwood impart their delightful woodiness. And, a faintly powdery musk with its clean and fresh elements joins the satisfying woods to meander to the refreshful drydown. This bracing composition revels in the spring and summer, and has good projection and longevity.

dark phoenix 123's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

smells young, atheletic, musculine and sexy to me (perhaps of its association with all the A&F ads). would consider it the same genre as tommy. personally, i love it!

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

A great green, spicy and a bit "colonial" classic leathery fougere, astringent in floral mildness, british style in the starting dry accord of bergamot and lavender, rooty in herbs, patchouli and vetiver, aromatic of thyme, eucalyptus and basil throughout the trip and with a woodsy impenetrable dry down of moss, earth and leather. The role of the aromatic middle  components is notable since the hesperidic beginning (in their accord with lavender) and till the end while the intervention of the spices is central  and focused basically on cinnamon and cloves. The smell starts hesperidic-aromatic and holds on to be angular and airy (further than spicy) because of a long link of bergamot and geranium. The dry down is basically oakmoss and patchouli in my opinion with a certain level of harshness that is carried out more by spices than by vetiver that is indeed a bit oily and green. I appreciate very much this fragrance with all its spicy bitter-mild kind of greenness. I detect a touch of tobacco on the side of spices, greens and patchouli. The dry down morphs finally towards something at once spicy, rooty of patchouli but  surprisingly soft and mossy. This fragrance despite its classic and exotic foundation is versatile and comforting. A pleasure to wear it outdoor in the country or while strolling along the english fields. Projection and lasting power are more than good.

spiceman_99's avatar

Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons

This is a great scent and not at all overpriced for those of us who don't buy our frags at Walgreens Iv'v gotten a lot of favorable comment on this one!!

Lunarloves's avatar

Cabaret by Grès

One of the notes I get from this is 'inside of a piano' which piano players will recognise. Impossible to describe but evocative of happy times in childhood. The Rose is very sweet but is mixed with incense and wood the only thing that makes this scent less than perfect is that a lot of sprays are needed to have an effect. Maybe just me but I like my scent to comfort and reassure me all day. Otherwise a beautiful journey that conjures up many pictures.

rickbr's avatar

1869 by Acca Kappa

A comfort, interesting leather-iris fragrance on me. I get at first a rooty, slightly metallic aroma comming from iris, that gets slightly creamy after some minutes. Then the suede-like aroma of leather comes on and the violet joins it. At this point in kind of reminds me of Fahrenheit (same scent shape with different details). It makes me think of a leather jacket perfumed with an iris-violet aroma. A little bit shortlived, but not bad at all.

Martin L's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

This review is for the Original Old Spice Eau De Toilette version by Procter & Gamble .

Smell.
    The smell is a mixture of spices , rose and mint . The smell is very dated , very old , sweet and very overpowering , it smells like an Old Men .
    My score for the smell is 2/10

Age group.
    60 years old and up , No kidding .

Purpose .
    The purpose of the scent is Unknown because this scent is too sweet and overpowering for the day and too cheap and dated for the night .Garbage .

Longevity .
    5 plus hours every time , that's great for a cheap cologne my score for longevity 10/10.

Projection .
    The projection is very good people can smell you but don't overdo it because the smell of the cologne is so annoying that makes other people around you mad and crazy . They may shoot you or beat you to death .
    My score for projection is 8/10.

Overall i feel this cologne doesn't deserve the 5 bucks i payed for it .Garbage .

CMan0928's avatar

Bravado 2 by Baxter of California

Great stuff. I'll admit that this was a blind buy for me. But I'm not in the least let down. In fact, it may be my favorite fragrance that I own. I started off as a fan of the Baxter skincare products and always wanted to try this stuff, so I took a shot. As someone else mentioned, it opens with tons of citrus, a real eye-opener. After about 30 minutes you start to get the middle musky-woodsy-citrusy middle notes. Late in the day I get a very slight vanilla with woodsy-musky undertones. And as previously mentioned, the vanilla is not very substantial. It's an understated fragrance, but in a really good way. It's an EDC, not an EDT, so I find myself using three sprays to get the desired result and not my usual two sprays that I use with most other scents. I definitely plan on purchasing this one again when my current bottle is empty. Recommended.

Oproust's avatar

Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

I can't get past the root beer accord of Myrrhe Ardente. I confess, I'm a Coke Classic kind of guy, but I do enjoy a nice cold A & W once in a while. I was surprised to find the root beer descriptions of other reviewers to be more than just tongue in cheek pokes at MA. Myrrhe Ardente is smokey, resinous, spicy and yes, oriental. But in the end, there is not enough development. I grow tired of MA. I'm waiting for more but I just end up with a nose full of root beer bubbles. I'll give this one a neutral. Not bad, but it doesn't hold my interest.

23 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2011)

KimmyMcG's avatar

Kinski by Escentric Molecules

Hey guys, so I bought Kinski about two weeks ago at Scent Bar. Now you have to bare with me because I am NO where near as smart the lot of you that I have been "talking" to about fragrances, BUT I'm going to try. I have used it four times and now I'm a little more confident about giving a review.

Kinski Notes
    Cassis, juniper berry, schinus molle (Peruvian pepper), castoreum, marijuana acccord, nutmeg, plum, orchid, magnolia, orange flower, rose, benzoin, vetiver, cedar, patchouly, styrax, cistus, costus (ginger), musk, moss, ambergris

Kinski is odd and confusing and I hate and LOVE it all at the same time throughout the journey that it takes me on. This is a very bold complex textured scent. If you don't like woods or Vetiver, then I would pass, but I LOVE both.

The first five mins of putting this on I think to myself, "What the hell is this smell?" It's so completely different and I have no words. I will say last night I put it on and sat on the couch next to my perfect adorable Boxer Marley and she literally sat up and started to smell my arm, then started to lick me, LOL. She has never done that, now I know she's a dog and not a beautiful woman, but that had to be a compliment right, LOL. Anyway, the first 5 mins, I'm confused and think I hate it, but I believe it's a love hate thing, because from then on, I'm TOTALLY in love with Kinski. It has longevity and takes you on a multifaceted journey.

"Kinski begins boldly as cassis and juniper are met with a mix of castoreum and vetiver. The castoreum adds an early animalic touch and the vetiver seems like the vetiveryle from Escentric Molecules 03, full of smoky intensity. This is a mix of top notes which are better together than as their separate parts. This is slightly sweet berry over strongly dark notes to comprise a study in yin and yang. The heart is a quartet of floral notes; rose, magnolia, cistus, and orchid; which again provide a yin. The yang in the heart comes from nutmeg, pepper, ginger, benzoin, and styrax. Hr. Schoen accentuates the prickly, piquant nature of the latter set of notes, much like Hr. Kinski’s famous temperament. They are layered over a traditional floral beauty, much like Hr. Kinski’s acting talent. The base notes are the only thing in Kinski which are straightforward as Hr. Schoen gives my overworked olfactory receptors a break. Patchouli, musk, and ambergris are the surprisingly soothing finish to this fragrance."

23 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2012)

Beranium Chotato's avatar

Kinski by Escentric Molecules

From time to time, I read on here a description of some long lost classic Guerlain that evolved for days, full of surprises at the second hour, the fifth hour, etc. I was certain I would never get to experience this quality in a fragrance because they just don't seem to build them like that any more.

Enter Kinski. I had sampled it from a vial previously, worn it for an hour or two, and enjoyed it very much. I found the citrus peel, smoke, hard wood, and marijuana notes to be very well balanced: skanky, elegant, and wry all at the same time. What I did not expect when giving it a full and proper wearing today is that, at hour three, it sheds the skank as a very handsome vetiver-wood composition emerges (not unlike Itasca). At hour six, it has transformed AGAIN. Its twilight is a damp, salty vetiver...I want to use the word "chasm" because its depth suggests absence as much as substance. At this stage, I don't think a comparison to Sel de Vetiver is off the mark. Kinski actually tapers as an aquatic, which in this case is not dismissive; it's a cold, inscrutable thing riddled with brooding and loss.

The whole experience has been extraordinary. It gives the impression of a fire being slowly extinguished. Or the sun falling into the ocean. I am in awe.

Update: Hour 7, and the dampness is trading places with a dry smoke. Inky midnight. It is dying on my arms as Encre Noire.

23 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2012)

Buysblind's avatar

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

Givenchy Vetyver is an excellent vetiver fragrance with a solid, intelligent construction and nearly flawless development. From it's bright bergamot opening to it's earthy, nutty base, Vetyver is a great option for someone looking for a vetiver based scent that is not excessively dark and dirty or too clean, green, and soapy. Yet, at the same time, it is a little bit of each of these. It can be worn all year round, easily straddles the casual and formal, and has good projection and longevity. Vetyver is a multi-dimensional scent that remains interesting and dynamic throughout its duration.

One of my favorite vetiver fragrances, and definitely worth looking into.

23 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2012)

Notreveh's avatar

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

"A rum inspiration, a life-giving alcohol blending the heat of the Caribbean Islands."

This one indeed opens up with a boozy rum note combined with an intense resinuous woody smell. Caribbean Islands makes me think about fruity, juicy and most important, light notes. Coconut? Lime? None of these notes are present here.

Instead we have in the opening a blast of dense resin dipped in alcohol. But hey! I'm not saying it is a bad smell. Not at all. Straight to Heaven is the most masculine fragrance from the whole Louvre Noire collection, and so, it is just different from the others and also different from the description Kilian gave us, that's it.

After a couple minutes the resinous opening decays a bit leaving space to a spice chord derived from nutmeg which lasts until the end of this fragrance.

24 December, 2011

Bigtruck260's avatar

Dunhill Custom by Dunhill

Just picked this one up blind - and put a few sprays on. The wife just gave me the thumbs WAAAAY up. Pretty sexy scent, and it's lasted more than 7 hours. I get the apple from a distance, but the big one here is the woody bite. Masculine and fresh - and seems like it would work well in the office, and just about everywhere else. I'm a sales rep, so strong overbearing cologne is out - this one should work well.

24 December, 2011