Fragrance Reviews from December 2011

winterlove's avatar

Still by Jennifer Lopez

I bought this blind on the recommendation of a friend at a great price. I enjoy tea scents - this has a lovely earl grey tea note balanced with flowers and a little fruit. Nice sillage nothing over the top. I recommend as a summer scent. My partner loves this on me, so two thumbs way up!

Oproust's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre d'Hermes starts with a sharp citrus blast followed closely by a strong pepper note that almost seals the deal, but in the wrong direction. I dislike strong pepper notes. However, something interesting happens as Td'H develops. The top, mid and basenotes emerge so rapidly that this fragrance is almost linear. Cedar and vetiver emerge very quickly and thankfully, the pepper note takes a step back. The base of Td'H is woody, earthy and basalmic (benzoin). The benzoin adds a light sweetness that helps balance the woody and earthy accords. When the base sets in, I'm hooked. Td'H develops into a decidedly masculine fragrance that beats the crap out of so many of those watery things out there today. Longevity is similar in duration to a Wagner opera cycle. I can see Td'H becoming a part of my regular rotation despite the pepper-induced sneeze in the opening. Very pleasant surprise, this one. Pleasant indeed.

Darvant's avatar

Omniscent 0.96 by Yosh

A reminiscence (at least in relaction  with some factors) of some iconic, deliberately "stuffy", fragrances of the past like some Diva Ungaro, Rochas Woman, some old  Fendi, krizia, partially Magot Etro and others, this  deep ambery spicy-chypre with hints of animalism, mellow fruits (apricots, plums?) and incense is an unoriginal smell that grounds itself on a woody, honeyed and mossy-ambery base over which are placed hesperidic oils, spices (cloves, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon), tobacco, a backbone of patchouli and flowers (jasmine, tuberose?). The sensation is to be smelling something  old-fashioned and potpourri, something that conveys your mind back to a left over sense of womanily of the past, the same sensation i perceived inhaling the drier Aromatic Lime Montale (hesperides, patchouli, flowers, spices). To me this one is just a feminine fragrance and on this sphere i don't find it overly sweet. Finally i smell  more  honey, animal notes, tobacco and edible spices than florals, herbs and citrus. In this phase the juice becomes dark, dense and strong on honeyed amber, mellifluence and retro vibe.

Attar's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I got this as a surprise gift at Christmas time and i absolutely love it. I am huge fan of zesty. green, woody fragrances but during the cold winter months I like to spice things up a bit. :)

This fragrance is perfect for that in my opinion and on first impressions I get crisp top notes of bitter Orange and Grapefruit blended with Pepper and Patchouli that begin to develop into a warm woody scent that is accentuated by the addition of Benzoin , Cedar and Vetiver.

There are also hints of Rose and Geranium that give an almost soap like quality to this fragrance but in contrast there is also metallic and mineral notes that compliment each other well.Personally this fragrance makes me think of warm wet earth after a thunderstorm and dry rocks warming in the desert heat.

Overall this unique and well balanced fragrance is perfect for use all year round but comes into it's element during the colder months with it's crisp and spicy combination.

I find that there are some similarities between this and Declaration by Cartier( both developed by master perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena) but this one for me is more fresh than musky on the skin.

lauraschoice's avatar

Si Lolita by Lolita Lempicka

I tried out this scent because of it's inclusion of Sweet Pea, my favorite flower. But I could find absolutely no trace of that sweet, lovely floral in this cloying nose burner that has no distinctive qualities at all and never changed from it's nauseating opening notes the entire time I was saddled with it on my wrist. Just another overbearingly sweet, heavy scent you can't wash off fast enough.

25th December, 2011

le mouchoir de monsieur's avatar

France France

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

Ah! Father! This intrigue of nonsense! In myself I believed to see an omnipotent, all-knowing Alpha-Male, impervious and invincible to any and all confusions of the heart; troubles of unrequited love, emotive manipulations: Always, I walked a straight line into the lives of any and all I desired, to then leave them breathless, enflamed, slaves to my every whim. Coolly, with deft calculations, shamelessly I would captivate them with my looks, ensnare them with wit, to then hold them hostage until the moment would come, always inevitable, when the intrigue would wane, their allure grew tiresome, or simply, without warning, I would unexpectedly crave isolation: So it happened, Father, that, with age, I did come to approach and finally to guiltlessly accept my peripatetic love life; self centered, preoccupied with my own pleasures, feigning interest, yet principally engaged only in the glorification of my own ego to the detriment of many: To find me, follow the trail of shattered, weeping hearts, for I have broken so very many. The long, winding trail that crosses the globe, over and over: The trail of corpses. At the end of it, my own now lays gasping for air: Flummoxed, disturbed, distraught and in shock: Halfway through my life it would appear that I have been served a bit of my own Machiavellian, wanton ways, and just this tiny wee dose has left me senseless in despair, finally enlightened as to the bleak gravity of my transgressions. So here I am. I have come to confess this most hideous of sins: A lifetime of demonic lusts that culminated and erupted in a tryst so shamelessly brazen, so vile, that I feel as though by it I have been branded in fire. Somehow, now that I have tasted the foul savour of my own, pitiless and self-serving lust, I can no longer live with myself, for I feel as though I have been transformed into a kind of devil: Possessed and invaded by a daemon. I met her. I met her in flesh and in the blood. In retrospect, I feel as though I have met my own self in the guise of a woman. Her reputation, quite legendary in certain circles, had preceded our meeting. I knew well and proper that with her, I would be playing with fire, but nothing, nothing at all, would stop me: From the moment of introduction, to my integral surprise, in me she would show no interest whatsoever: She was aloof. Unimpressed. When questioned, flippantly she claimed never to have heard of me, as if I were some nameless back room bookkeeper in a shoe shop, or a common civil servant. That assertion I am near convinced was a ruse, though presently I am sure of nothing, save for the searing pain in my heart, and an unusual taste of isolation, formerly sweet, reassuring, restful, full of relief; now bitter. The nonsense of it! My own cherished, beautiful solitude now turned to loneliness, common as gutter sludge. I have come to confess a lifetime of sins of the flesh, of gluttony and of shameless, guileless indulgences, never repented, never regretted.
    It was at a Fancy Dress Ball when, finally, we met, when finally, as it appeared, I came face to face with my own withered, dying soul. All around was confusion and movement. The finest ladies in sparkling attire. Hoards of gentlemen fitted out in black masques. From afar, I saw her dancing, whirling about on the marble, seemingly passed about like a party favour: Taking gloved hands into hers, twirling and pirouetting, then gliding off to the arm of her next partner. Every time our eyes would meet she would turn her gaze: No masque had she, only a fan of ostrich plumes, and a black spray of aigrettes tucked cunningly into her coiffure, which she wore pin-tucked and curled high atop her head. Waltzing and whirling my way through the chaotic merriment, I purposely and repeatedly veered to approach her, in hopes that she would accept my outstretched hand, yet each time I would draw near, she would only spin round, to whip me across the face with the feathers of her headdress, black as tar, that contrasted sharply with her voluminous, multi-layered gown of sunflower yellow taffetas, chantilly laces and diaphanous organza. Each time I drew near I could smell an intoxicating perfume of warmth: Fields of dryed out, rotting roses, baking and sweltering in the heat, laced with a kind of heady incense that left me in a muddle heretofore unknown. Finally, with my white-gloved hand, I reached to grasp her, forcefully from behind, at which point, with the deft snap-twirl of a ballerina, her face was flush against mine, and our eyes locked. Keeping my gaze, with nonchalance she handed me her fan, with long spidery fingers captive in tulle mittens she reached up to remove my masque, without a word, without an apology, to then tie it around her own face, now batting her eyes through it. Lifting up her fan to offer it back I could feel a kind of rush emanate from it: The sweetest, most erotic scent of sweat that took up residence in my nostrils. Like a creeping, invading virus, I could feel it enter my blood, which pumped furiously as we danced off key, strangely isolated in our own separate universe. This dance, which saw me bewitched and under spell, led us, both equally drunken and stupid, to a long corridor that stretched so far into the distance that it seemed as if it went on into eternity, all paneled and gilded, with sparkling crystal chandeliers and sconces flanking yawning doors, all closed. First peering down into the depth of it, she looked up at me, her aigrette feathers quivering as she removed my black masque from her face, and tossed it on the floor as she took my hand, and, in a rustle of taffetas, led me away, so far that the music faded to silence, and we were alone: As it now appeared, there was no end to this hall: Just an eternal suite of scintillating crystal, glistening wood, and doors….still more doors. She threw herself seductively against one of these, and, her face now bare, looked up at me. The fire, it was not only in her eyes, but seemed to erupt from beneath her skirts, through her bustier, with licking flames that crept up between her bosom. With her right hand, she reached high up to take a firm, pinching hold of my ear. With her left, she opened the door, and both of us fell, tumbling into an opulent chamber of damask silk draperies, lyre shaped lounges and cabriole legged chairs, all gold and vibrant, canary yellow. Intoxicated on the vapours that enshrouded her, now so heavy as to fairly blind me with their dank, rosy musk, I began laughing, until I was summarily shut up by her mouth, and her tongue, which seemed to move into my head the way her scent flushed its way into my blood, turning it to liquid amber: I felt as if the whites of my eyes had grown yellow, and, were a pair of horns to burst forth through my skull, I would not have puzzled. Tearing at each other like wild beasts we rolled about the floor, until her massive sunflower ball gown became a kind of mattress, my black cloak a cover: I felt as if she had wiggled her way into my body, and from the inside was tickling it and tantalizing it in the most delicious ways. Our silent waltz on the floor became increasingly intense. Her mouth, her hands, her hair, every part of her body seemed to seer its way into mine. She was in control. Every time I tried to speak, or groan, my mouth would be filled with some part of her. Finally I resigned to close my eyes and let her take charge as she mounted me and rode my body like a horse: Slapping and whipping it, scratching and spitting, all the while filling me with her amber liquids that smelled and tasted like the heat and fires of seething passions of bestiality. Of these I drank willingly, never knowing from whence they came, or what they were, knowing only that I craved them, hungered for them: Each time I would reach to return her caress I would be whipped, spanked or pinned down. Each time I opened my mouth it would be fed with her body, and all the while I could hear her gasping, moaning, in turn cackling and laughing. When finally I tried to open my eyes they would be blinded: She spat in them. Licked them. Held her fingers spread open in my mouth, to fill it again with a rush of nectar, all sweet, yet dry and suffocating, burning my throat. Finally, as I began to feel the convulsions of my own innards threaten to erupt, I felt her fingers leave my mouth and encircle their way around my throat. It seemed as though she were strangling me: Tighter and tighter until I gasped for air as my body released its passion, and I fell into a swoon that first seemed made of blinding yellow light then dimmed to a murky black haze, and, ultimately, to oblivion. Shivering and naked I next found myself sprawled out beneath my silk-lined cloak with the light of dawn creeping through the soaring windows, all draped and swathed with bouillon fringe and gossamer lace…and still…this scent in my nostrils…this taste in my mouth: All over my body an oily sweat of wilting roses and amber, yet in the room, I was alone. No trace of her. No evidence that she had even existed, though every item of garment I sought out as I redressed reeked of this perfume. My socks. My shirt. It was as if they had all been laundered in this liquid then pressed in its steam. Now, I carry it with me, everywhere I go: Nothing will get it off, so I bring it here, to this Holy Place, with head bowed, and misery in my heart. I bring it along with the audacity to beg forgiveness, though I know I deserve it not: For how many times have I myself brought such punishment unto others, desirous only of my own pleasures? And how many times have I left some poor soul naked and weeping, covered in my own stench, equally indelible? How many times have I remorselessly done unto others what she, this woman did unto me, I who was willing, who drank of her nectar as if it were the very wine of Heaven, and laid there, spattered in her eruptions, delighting in them, lapping them up like a crazed animal in heat? Is it not said that there is no sin so black that it cannot be forgiven? Even these? Even these that went on at that Ball… At That Bal a Versailles?

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I was looking for a fresh fragrance that you don't smell everywhere and I think I have found it. It lacks projection from mid to base but for work this would be a perfect scent.

This vetiver is done so well I can't believe this is not part of the Private Blend collection!

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Very similar to Gucci Pour Homme 1 (2003.) and Juicy Couture Dirty English. It projects more and lasts longer than Gucci PH I, so it is a good alternative to it as Gucci PH I and Dirty English are discontinued fragrances. What's there to say about this juice? Incense, spice and warm wood. Women will appreciate it as they're bombarded with sweet scents or overly citrus scents by men all the time. All in all, sometimes copycats are not such a bad idea after all, au contraire.

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The archteype Lutens, imo.
    Sweet and sliceable thick, more rose than you can get by other means.
    a refined and precise extraction of roses, but a bit too present and monotonous from my angle.
    Maybe one of the friendliest fragrances out there.
    But don't play hide and seek wearing this scent, they'll hunt you down in a second.

alfarom's avatar

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

Roucel's interpretation of the labdanum is an average quality amber/vanilla with some spices on top and an almost imperceptible civet note. It sits somewhere bewteen Musc Ravageur and Ambre Sultan but lacks the brilliance of the former and the majesty of the latter. Nice but nowhere close being exciting or distinctive.

Surely not a standout.

Andy Thrnton's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I recently received a sample and I have added it to my list of fragrances I would wear on a regular basis. The top notes are strong and citrus, very bitter lemon rather than the lime and lavendar listed for the top notes. The initial hit of clean citrus mellows out into the bases notes though a pine and thyme transition to something more woodsy with a faint memory of it's citrus beginings.

I really like this scent and I am normally no fan of citrus scents. This is definitely going to be added to my (long) list of must have scents.

Andy Thornton's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I recently received a sample of this scent in and the initial hit of citrus from the top notes reminds me of "Bitter Lemon". I don't detect the lavendar listed in the notes, but as it mellows into it's base notes, the citrus gives way to a woodsy pine and thyme mix with citrus memories.

I don't normally like citrus, but I have added this to my list of fragrances to buy.

Andy Thornton's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I was a bit surprised when I tried this one again, it was my first aftershave as a boy and 40 years later when I tried it again, I was surprised how good it was. I had fogotten how floral the scent is an what a good overall aftershave Old Spice is.

I use this in my rotation of day to day aftershaves.

killerloop's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Absolutely in love with this fragrance.

Just little dabs of this on the hot spots and I still smell this the next day. Recommend spraying sparingly, a little bit goes a long way.

Overall response from others when I wear this is a great one. It's not overpowering; just a very smooth and delicious scent.

Not sharp like Himalaya, this is my clear favorite of the two, if you are in the market for either of those from Creed. This is in my group of heavily used frags.

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Back to Black by By Kilian

"A tobacco inspiration, an aphrodisiac aroma with sweet undertones of honey"

Reading this description you can almost imediatelly think about Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford, well and they do share similarities, but here right after the first spray we have a very evident, natural and bright honey note accompanied by a slight and very lluring raspberry aroma and a not so hard to detect chamomile note giving to this particular fragrance a different dept compared to Tobacco Vanille. Lovely opening!!

After a couple minutes the tobacco kicks in without disrupting the beauty of this fragrance. Despite the official description, it just appears as a back component to this beautiful honey fragrance. But sadly nothing that is too good lasts forever. Back to Black after a couple hours loses potency and becomes a slight watery honey skin scent different from that beautiful drydown.

BUT, anyhow, the thing that grab my attention and makes me love a gourmand fragrance is balance. I hate overdone sweet fragrances and thanks god this mistake was not made in Back to Black. The semi-sweet combination is just perfect.

Darvant's avatar

Stargazer 7.71 by Yosh

I agree with many, this is a quite simple floral-aromatic fragrance that is centralized over a deeply  parfumed flower, the Stargazer Lily, a sort of wild  white flower bursting of odour in the course of the exotic summer nights. The smell is cool and aromatic, some have thought  to eucalyptus or aromatic greens but is basically the white ginger  that  projects the white floral deep scent in the air with its cool and aromatic sort of fruitiness. I detect some musk on the base while i don't catch any fruit in the blend. The smell is deeply floral as well as you are inhaling the heart of a flower, its nectar, its lymphatic greenness. In my opinion this is a good botanic and natural smell but is too much crude and wild to be evalued as a sophisticated and well structured floral fragrance. The smell is too fat, lymphatic and grassy for my taste. Not bad if you wanna smell utterly natural as you've barely rolled down from a floral green hill. Projection and lasting power are more than good.

B.I.G.'s avatar

Moldova Moldova

Highwayman by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

After a 5 months time - i have finally figured out what Highwayman is about. On my skin upon applying it i get a burst of flowers and leather and as it dries down the leather settles in and looses some its edginess and the flowers, mainly gardenia gives it an aromatic touch. I've become to appreciate it a lot more than i used to and once i use up my imp, it's on my to buy list. Actually Highwayman is a serious contender for Chanel's Cuir de Russie or Lancome's Cuir de Lancome!

PerfumeCollector's avatar

cK one by Calvin Klein

Don't waste your money in this junk.
    I wonder why it was so popular, but smells like fruit juce and it lasts as long as a splash of fruit juice would last in your skin, the advantage of CK 0ne is that you don't get sticky.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The significant difference between this one and it's flanker La Nuit is that La Nuit has great projection and longevity, whilst this one doesn't. It turned out to be quite shy on my skin, I'd rate it thumb up if it weren't so.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This one hits!
    If roses can shoot, then you find some in this bottle.
    fits a multilayered personality, or when you're a bit unstable it will suit different moods.
    Soft enough for a sofa flirt with someone you barely know,
    complex enough for a difficult night out with a bunch of odd people
    straight enough for professional encounters
    spicy enough to party,
    hard enough to hit.

the editions FM provoke...
    in this case my appetite for seduction.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

a loaded one from Lutens,
    I got involved into good fragrances and buying them by Lutens.
    maybe that's why a few years later I can tell a Lutens smell out of the rest of the world.
    FT stands out from the rest of the Lutens for there is an sharp edge to this one.
    The complex and fine cut smoke counterparts the sweet, warm and thick layer of flowers and vanillaised honey, making the result and interesting up and down between light and heavy, light and dense, discretion and presence.
    A perfect fit for the vintagedays chasing through europe currently!

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This one rules.
    a scent with a courageous personality.
    in your face as it is.
    Where your words are thinking again, this fragrance is shouting out loud what you are thinking. Sex. again.
    But don't let the shouting mistake you, the voice that goes with this scent is sexy and warm, deep and clean, amber and musk.
    Tricky though, you beter wear this aura when you're selfconfident!
    otherwise this scent will quickly take the lead and rule over you

autumngleeman's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I agree with many reviewers below. It's essentially two notes: rose and patchouli. But it's amazing rose (bright and wet) and amazing patchouli (earthy and bright). I don't agree with others who say it is dark; montale black auod and czeche & speake no. 88 are dark. VdR feels like bright over ripe red rose. I also don't agree with others that it smells dirty; it smells fresh in a natural way. Those who say it is dirty must mean the patchouli because it is earthy but the wet and fresh smelling rose balances it so i don't understand. Black aoud is the dirty one to me. Rose is one of my favorite notes and i've smelled many. To speak in generalities, in my experience most rose scents not exclusively for women are either dark (to make "appropriate" for men) or are fresh and too effeminate for anyone to use but women and effeminate guys. VdR is the best TRUE rose scent (not a rose cyphre etc) that falls in between: not noir but not effeminate. I think it's perfect for a confident and romantically aspiring man. You will receive compliments on a regular basis wearing this. And i think it has sufficient longevity too. After an hour or two of bold projection it settles down and lingers somewhat closer to the skin...but it persists. people close to you will still smell it hours after the drydown and I myself still smell a whiff here and there much later in the day after application too. It would say it has sufficient longevity; it's definitely not Creed bad in this respect.

25th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th January, 2012)

surge's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

This fragrance is AWESOME...TF Tobacco Vanille has met it's match.
    This is officially my new favorite smoky vanilla scent.
    The coffee in it is so great.

EDIT:

After sampling a majority of the bond scents, I can say with pride that this is definitely the best masculine fragrance they have to offer. I think I'm changing my mind about it being better than TF's TB...it's a close one that's for sure. I've also found that layering this with Hermes Terre works amazingly well...Terre on the bottom, splash of new harlem on top. MM smells so good.

25th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th January, 2012)

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I once read a humoristic quote on purple rain Prince: he who's barely tall enough to glance out over a pot of geraniums.
    this bottle of grasped geraniums could lift him up easily.
    It is a royal scent made for the most classy moments as it is sofisticated to the bone.
    It behaves like an angel on your shoulder that explains you by expressing the subtle but fundamental nuances of your style and statements.
    How distinguished can a scent of flower get.

25th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th February, 2012)

noirdrakkar's avatar

Usher for Men by Usher

I am not biased against celebrity colognes, but this one is deceptive.

The top notes during the first 30 minutes smell very nice, actually very impressive. It is a distinguished scent, refreshing, perhaps a little fruity and a little feminine, but still masculine.

The dry down is what caused disappointment. After an hour of use, it has a generic artificial smell. It is a shame because if the drydown was exactly like the opening, I would have given it maybe an 8 (which is a rating I rarely give out).

Testers, especially in this case can trick you. Many customers probably buy this because of the scent they enjoyed when testing it, not knowing that when it dries down, it turns into Azzaro Chrome.

Age: Under 30
    Season: Summer

25th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 22nd June, 2012)

killerloop's avatar

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

This smells too similar to Creed's Silver Mountain Water for me to ever consider buying as it would not make sense to have both in my wardrobe.

It's a pleasant fragrance but has more to it through the opening and mid stages of it. The dry down is extremely light and is feminine compared to what SMW leaves, which is one of the few reasons I love SMW.

If you want a lighter alternative to SMW, this fits the bill. While not a bad frag at all, I would purchase SMW over Hamptons every time.

Lush's avatar

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

I've been wearing the recently released Fougère Royale all day today, and I must say I have not enjoyed it. I understand the historical significance of its previous incarnation. I understand it is complex and made of high quality ingredients. But in the end, I smell like the old man I was trying to avoid at the movie theater the other night. Fougère Royale is too strong, medicinal, and old for me.

eflat's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

My absolute go to any time of the year whenever I can't decide which frag to wear. This is without a doubt the classic of our time IMHO. Lots of people compare this to Cool Water and I will admit that at very first the top smells very similar, Cool Water doesn't even compare after the first few minutes.

bokaba's avatar

Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

This review is for the vintage yellow eau de cologne and not the new pink EdT:

Monsieur Rochas lives up to its reputation as 1960s/1970s men's orientalized fougere featuring all the trimmings. MR is clear and convincing, genuine and legitimate. Monsieur is an orientalized descendant of the long lost Fougere Royale and possibly a precursor to the ultimately brilliant Belgravia by the Dukes of Pall Mall. Monsieur Rochas opens with a citric blast of lemon and bergamot followed by the typical lavender-geranium-tonka accord that defines the genre. Rochas is dressed up other interesting elements such as carnation, cedar, patchouli, and galbanum. The galbanum adds a smokey, tobacco scent in the base, which I'd deduce employs genuine oakmoss. Monsieur Rochas would fit a more cosmopolitan French aristocrat around the turn of the century rather than a country gentleman.