Fragrance Reviews from February 2011

klonjunkie's avatar
    klonjunkie

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

A very uninteresting fragrance - just so-so. My other major complaint about it is that it does not last very long at all. A lot of $ for for no longevity. I certainly will not buying another bottle of this. Sorry if you' re a fan of this fragrance, it's just not for me.

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Musk for Men by Coty

Coty Musk For Men almost garners a thumbs-down from me for the following reasons. First, it's not a musk scent. It's a barbershop powder, pure and simple. Second, it's a barbershop powder, which means there are many, many products like it. The others have been around longer; in the case of Canoe, much longer. I love these fougeres that include Clubman by Pinaud, the aforementioned Canoe, Jade East, Royal Copenhagen (my fave along with Clubman), Fred Hayman's Touch For Men, et cetera. All of the foregoing are inexpensive, readily available and have formidable sillage and longevity. Since the Coty has neither of the latter two traits, I can't recommend it in any way. While it lasts its smells pretty good so I can't feed it to the lions but any of the other baby powder purveyors is a superior choice.

epomanic's avatar
    epomanic

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

I wore this perfume forever, I found it both intriguing but also comforting. It smells nothing like cannabis, but the name fits anyway at least as well as YSI opium fits.

Then one day it just smelled like alcohol, the magic had just disappeared, and after the first whiff it disintegrated into an irritatingly sweet buzz. I immediately rushed to the store and bought a new bottle, assuming mine had gone bad; but alas the new bottle also smelled like wine that had been left uncorked overnight.

Nonetheless, I must give Cannabis a thumbs up because it has such happy memories for me.

's avatar

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

a slightly stronger, more peppery version of guerlain's vetiver. very nice.

John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Fragrance by John Varvatos

This was a mistake. I was really hoping to like JV10 because the original JV initiated me into my love of perfume, but unfortunately this one is a sad disaster. The cinnamon is indistinct and the wood and leather to my nose read more like a muted, lethargic amber. It has none of the brightness and or spice I the listed notes would suggest, as if everything good accidentally evaporated while they were compounding the fragrance.

If clinical depression had a smell, JV10 would be it.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This is the fragrance that first caused me to pay attention to--and then love--perfume. JV came out while I was working at a department store, but it didn't attract as much attention as many of the other fragrances. I was looking for something distinctive, and the spicy, leathery notes of JV won my heart.

However, as I've grown as a perfumisto, JV has grown to feel thin to my nose, without the depth I want to pretend is there. That said, I still think it is a pleasant, distinctive fragrance that is at the very least more interesting than many of the masculines on the market. Although it's longevity isn't great, I have gotten many compliments on it over the years, and I still wear it when I'm feeling nostalgic for my department store years....

Vintage by John Varvatos

I really wanted to like this one--there was something initially appealing to me about the romantic masculine image evoked by the lavender, tobacco and suede that burst through from the very beginning. However, this ends up smelling a bit too thin, more like a sad wisp of a memory than like your grandfather's leather armchair. The basic structure is definitely there, but it needs a bit of meat on its bones.

That said, my wife loves this one, so I own a bottle plus the aftershave balm.

Artisan by John Varvatos

Absolutely wonderful--growing up downwind of an orange grove taught me to love the smell of orange blossoms in the desert air, and this captures that experience wonderfully. Although this initially struck me as being a tad too sweet, after wearing it around for a few hours I realized that it makes for a wonderful, unexpected masculine. Artisan is a resolutely cheerful fragrance--there is no way to stay in a bad mood with this scent glowing around you.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Versace Versense by Versace

This is a nice scent -- nothing exceptionally good nor bad here.
    Starts with a green, fresh-citrus note. Where is the fig? Usually that is a very distinctive note but I get none of it here. A bit aquatic, at times a bit metallic but these are not problem areas. Vague hints of a nutty spice. Not sweet, not heavy. I wouldn't seek it out but I don't disdain it. Dry-down is a bit like ink on paper, curiously it reminds me vaguely of Encre Noir.

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

Hiris by Hermès

Hiris is a introverted elegance a well-poised muse
    never reveals herself within words nor action just
    her scent of Iris, Hiris opens with it's homage the
    Iris a flower a symbol of refinedness and modesty
    a scent of cool orris earth adds to the sharp coldness
    of the fragrance, the coriander subtle enough not to
    cloy over the iris but noticeable in it's spicy drydown
    diluted amber dries the top note, delicate and elusive
    note of Rose opens the middle note softens the sharpness
    of the Iris with it's velvet texture a demure beauty
    Neroli turns the fragrance a bit citrusy and grounded.
    The drydown consists of unsweeted honey makes an organic
    and woodsy finish to this almost of a masterpiece of a
    scent next dry cedar conjours a feeling of a forest
    after the midnight rain fresh and finishes with almond
    tree an nutty accord.

Hiris is a class of it's own not Loud gaudy kitschy
    it doesn't take bright colorful sequins dolly heads
    fake rhinestones on bottle it's a simple dark blue
    bottle less is more.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

My Insolence by Guerlain

I'll give it some points for its bizarre, fruit-punch aspect. It is different! Not classy or sophisticated, but it is kind of intriguing. At times it seems sweet and floral, but it is not heavy nor cloying. Candy floss, raspberry kool-aid... yes. The almond blossom note gives it a quirky aspect. At times it is a bit metallic and synthetic. Still, I've smelled far, far worse. Definitely a bottom-feeder in the noble Guerlain line, Hillary Swank or no Hilary Swank...

colormechris's avatar
    colormechris

Pour L'Homme by Roger & Gallet

Roger & Gallet seem to be the most ubiquitous, yet mysterious perfume house around. Check out their website...it's downright oblique. One minute your favorite drugstore has all their products, the next week none. They have no popular classics, yet all their wares are familiar. They had an amazing scent called "L'Homme" that came out in 1982 and the only way to get it was to send away for it. And this was before scent strips. Do they make it or don't they? Do they have it or not? Where on Earth can I find it? Why is it $10.00 here and $310.00 there? Tres bizarre!
    Which brings us to "Pour L'Homme" (not to be confused with "L'Homme" or "L'Homme Essential") I found a mini of it on one of my thrift store runs. Pollux's review of the olfactory elements are spot on and I don't have much to add. Except that's it quite excellent and "classy" as one might expect from this venerable European house. I get a very faint peppery accord throughout that is compelling without being obnoxious. This would be perfect for the office or any occasion that finds a man in a good suit. Pollux mentioned it's hard to find. And I believe him!

coco the seraph's avatar
    coco the seraph

Pour Un Homme by Caron

One spring morning we were butchering (in a cruel-to-be-kind kind of way) our lavender hedge by the front door and there was a light breeze from the east blowing gently down the hall and I was wearing this, and the smell of the freshly hewn branches, stems and foliage was as clear a reflection of the perfume as if it were cast in the mirrored surface of the pond further into the garden. Herbal, full and vigourous; splendidly composed and wonderfully balanced.
    And it's budget (without smelling budget) Jicky to boot.

calero's avatar
    calero

01 Nomad by Odin New York

Well, this is boring. Just a year earlier (2008), a very similar fragrance was released by Dolce & Gabbana, called The One.

What you get here is cedar, bergamot, sandalwood, juniper berries, a faint musk, and the tonka bean that accounts for Nomad's borderline gourmand vanilla note. Although not listed, I'm detecting the very trendy grapefruit note (perhaps it is bergamot?) that is one of the key players in D&G's The One.

All of this goes by in about 2 to 3 hours.

As a newcomer to the niche game, I would expect something much more interesting rather than this Nomad that smells like a designer fragrance disguised as "niche."

Save your $110, and find something else.

coco the seraph's avatar
    coco the seraph

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Effortless and understated. Pure class. Absolutely assured. Deceptively simple but a bit too clever for complete idiots. Wouldn't dream of trying too hard..."Oh no, that would be too utterly ghastly, darling. What a very peculiar thought".

distortech's avatar
    distortech

Vice Versa by Yves Saint Laurent

First off, I hold YSL in very high regard. However, there are $1 hairsprays that smell better this. From the second I put it it on all I wanted was for it to end. Seriously, dreadfully bad.

MissMagic's avatar
    MissMagic
    Sweden Sweden

Rose Poivrée by Different Company

Oh niches... Sometimes very overrated & hyped. "Rose Poivree" smells very much like YARDLEY "English Rose". I kid you not!

Only Yardley's rose is sharper. Not 100% identical, but yet still "almost like this". A big old-fashioned classic Bulgarian rose. A deep red rose in full bloom. Saprklingly vibrant, & with an fantastic strength, sillage & staying-power. The old-fashioned from the 1800-century. Note: Remeber to use it with a very light hand. A bottle of Yardley's rose will last you ages.

YARDLEY "English Rose" is $10-15 for 100ml edt. "Rose Poivree" is $233 for 90ml. Well, the choice is yours to make - which one will you choose! ;)

kathomae's avatar
    kathomae
    Mexico Mexico

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

The one and only: Jean Paul Gaultier "Le Male". Beautiful scent, my favorite.

MissMagic's avatar
    MissMagic
    Sweden Sweden

English Rose by Yardley

Oh niches... Sometimes very overrated & hyped. "Rose Poivree" by The Different Company smells very much like YARDLEY "English Rose". I kid you not!

valkriz's avatar
    valkriz

Clubman by Pinaud

Purchased this with every other cheap drug store fragrance the pharmacy had. In the ingredients Oakmoss extract is listed; Oakmoss definitively stands out in the forefront as a smooth saltiness alongside a lightly sweet powdery note. A soft citrus and bergamot orange pokes threw the stuffiness of the former notes. I'm impressed they still use an Oakmoss extract in such a low cost fragrance! Smells like a well shaved gentlemen with money from a generation long gone.

Oslo-Fjord's avatar
    Oslo-Fjord
    Norway Norway

Passion Boisée by Frapin

Boozie, woody, spicy, leathery. A very refined scent from Frapin. Quite sweet in the opening, but dries down to a more spicy boozy fragrance. Perfect for autumn and winter. Very "cozy" and warm. This is my second favourite from Frapin. My no.1 is still Caravelle Epicee. This could be yours! Unisex, leaning to the masculine side of the scale.

Oslo-Fjord's avatar
    Oslo-Fjord
    Norway Norway

Private Collection - Querelle by Parfumerie Generale

A very high quality fragrance from Parfumerie Generale. Maby the most intresting. It reminds me a bit of good old Paco Rabane Pour homme! It`s like a very refined, darker, complex version of Paco Rabane. Very unique stuff, and great for all fragrance connoisseurs. It`s classified as unisex, but I can`t imagine this on a woman.

's avatar

Jubilee Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Review of the new 2010/2011 release
    A new release of a classic scent launched for the first time in 1977. It's a greenish, herbal concoction with hardly any flowers and a wry dryness...so it's not a floral chypre in my books (it says so in the press material). This fragrance does not talk to me at all. I can't say that it is unpleasant, but it bears no element of surprise, no fascinating chord. It comes across like a well-established, decent toilet water for people who want to obey the code of conduct. Absolutely devoid of any erotic hues, this seems to be respectability in a bottle. It's prim and proper - and could easily pass as a scent created for Victorians...when it was dedicated to Elizabeth II.
    I was extremely keen on trying this, butthis scent does not fill me with any enthusiasm at all.
    3 out of 10 points on my personal scale

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

I think i`ll go against the grain here, but for me, this is not an special fragrance. I wonder why people pay so expensively in fragrances that smells like shampoo if you wouldn`t pay so high in a shampoo that smells like this one. This is more of a functional aroma than a fragrance itself. I`m not saying that it smells bad, this is not the case. But this is the way that you would expect your deodorant, or your body lotion, or your shampoo, or your fabric softener to smell like. It`s an adequate aroma for this kind of products, maybe even to a body splash. But for a fancy fragrance? I don`t think so. This is a musky, fruity, green flowery aroma, that starts with a generic fruity note wrapped in some good synthetic citrus aroma, which lasts enough but is not like the real thing. Then, you have that commonplace green springish aroma, which fades to a musky base with something woody just to give a balance. What predominates seems to be the musky fruity aroma, with the floral nuances, something that if it was a little bit sweeter would be a perfect Victoria Secrets Body Splash. I don`t know, this is not a peace that i want to have, because this peace involves lack of creativity. Since i don`t collect bottles, fancy packages, and don`t prioritize longevity over creativity, this one leaves me entirely cold, either on me or on someone else. I also tell you, if you really want to smell like fancy shampoo and you want that to be from Bond No 9, get High Line, which seems little bit less generic.

Spoombung's avatar
    Spoombung

Chaos by Donna Karan

An extraordinarily beautiful creation. I still have a little bit of this precious potion left in the original crystal bottle. I bought it for someone else who (unbelievably) couldn't get on with it - she very kindly gave it back and I started wearing it.

Others have described it well in the reviews; intensley fruitcakey, slightly oily, sweet n' sour, musky unisex aroma that lasts days. 'Masterpiece' is a bit of an overused word...but this surely deserves that title. Amazing stuff.

Bonoanimoes's avatar
    Bonoanimoes
    Netherlands Netherlands

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

Ange ou Démon,

Very romantic scent, more towards ange than démon, I would say.
    Scent is sweet, powdery, but very well constructed, NOT at all clowing + Silage is fairly descent, it projects well.
    Peaceful, sweet and sensual this scent exhales a comforting aura, If you want to play " la femme fatalle " this isn't the right choice, this scent is more like: Positive, altruist, magnetic and most importantly VERY romantic! I would advise it for a more mature woman 30 till 50 years old. thumbs Up! Well done Givenchy!

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

Lauder for Men is a big, bad dirty fragrance that I find rather tough to pull off being the youngster I am. There's nothing wrong with "dirty", but this is really strong and better suited for someone at least 35 years of age.

Not my kinda fragrance, but if they're still making Lauder for Men when I'm in my late 30's or early 40's I'll surely revisit it.

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

In general, fragrances centered on iris are focused on some aspects. Or they will have a powdery aroma (Dior Homme), or they`ll evoke a linen sensation (Prada Infusion Iris), or will have a sort of metallic aroma, or even a earthy, raw aroma. Irisss by Xerjoff focus in this last one, and it`s an exercise of exploring the earthy aroma of iris without making the wearer smell like a raw potatoe. At first, you have a carroty and rooty aroma, that seems challenging and linked with one of the most brutal iris created so far, Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist. But while Iris Silver Mist forces the aroma in a caricature way, Irisss seems to give it a noble treatment, wrapping it in a creamy musk base, some incensed notes and a woody aroma that seems to be sandalwood. The base works quite well, giving a sensation that envolves cleanness, creaminess and woody.
    If it wasn`t so expensive, i`d have this creamy earthy iris. But it is, so someone lucky, which is not me, will have it...

DutchSchwag's avatar
    DutchSchwag
    Netherlands Netherlands

Essential by Lacoste

Understated to the point of seeming absent after 30 minutes, and that´s being generous. A cologne for beginners, perfect for the younger male looking for an inoffensive signature scent that is reasonably priced and less synthetic than Curve. Still, nothing to call home about but it does offer value and you can find it with very generous free gifts in any department store.

Fred360's avatar
    Fred360

Maestrale by Profumi di Pantelleria

This one is really magical. It reminds me of pencil shavings!