Fragrance Reviews from February 2011

miner's avatar
    miner
    France France

Police Dark by Police

the review of evilrix is spot on. this smells like burned chocolate from the very beginning to the very end (which is around 4-5 hours), extremely sweet and at the same time extremely unpleasent, no idea why anyone would want to smell like this.

hanna.sunden's avatar
    hanna.sunden
    Sweden Sweden

Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Delicious! Not having read the list of ingredients I actually thought the cherries were a sort of screaming tuberose that got very food-y because of the sweetness of the juice. In the middle notes I got a very resinous vanilla, something reminding me of tonka... Along with a spicy, slightly burnt note which I guessed was something along the lines of myrrh or lapsang suchoung. A gourmand oriental would be my description. Couldn't stop smelling my wrist when I wore it.

wellss03's avatar
    wellss03

Zen (new) by Shiseido

Sophistication and mystery in a bottle. A winter evening scent. It is described as a “fresh, floral woody scent” with notes of grapefruit, bergamot, peach, pineapple, blue rose, freesia, gardenia, red apple, violet, lily of the valley, hyacinth, rose, lotus flower, patchouli, cedar, musk, white musk, amber, incense and marine plant. I think this description makes it sound light and young…which to me it certainly isn’t. Zen has a much darker undertone.. the woody basenotes come through well over the florals. There is also an unusual note that adds dimension. According to Almairac this is the “blue rose”, which springs from the marriage of a rose and violet and has a very particular odor — a lemony note. On a side note, the bottle looks beautiful in my cupboard.. Apparently inspired by a Japanese tearoom. This one is a keeper.

wellss03's avatar
    wellss03

Chance by Chanel

When I was in my early 20’s Chance was the fragrance for me. However, I am finding that the older I get the less the “sexy sweetness” appeals to me. Chance has notes of white musk, hyacinth and citron, pink pepper, jasmine, fresh vetiver, orris absolute and amber patchouli. I find that men always compliment me when I wear Chance, but women – (in particular the more sophisticated of my friends) find it familiar and the top notes slightly artificial. I would compare Chance to a beachy blonde bikini clad bombshell and Shiseido Zen to an alluring dark haired woman in black silk. It just depends what role you want to play.. This one has strong memories for me, but is becoming less and less a scent I identify with.

Bonoanimoes's avatar
    Bonoanimoes
    Netherlands Netherlands

Jil Sander Man by Jil Sander

Jil Sander Man,

Interesting, little powdery and sweet, but well done constructed, romantic scent, projects well, girls will love it, for sure!
    Versatile age range, fall and winter, maybe a bit heavy for summer and spring, 2 thumbs up!

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

XIII La Treizième Heure by Cartier

Dangerous and seductive moment aren`t words that come to my mind when i try it. This Treizieme Heure makes me think of classical and refined. Mathilde Laurent captched the aura of classical leather fragrances and give it a more modern interpretation. This is a leather fragrance with the oily birch tar aspects and sharp leather aroma, but it`s not so dry or so dominant like other classical leather fragrances. Makes me think of a new interpretation of the Cuir de Russie theme, this time made more intimate and slightly citrus and green by the use of the mate aroma, which is infused in the leather accord and only appears very briefly on me, when i put my nose close to where i put the scent and pay more attention on the subtle nuances. I get the vanilla and patchouli the same way that i get the mate, they seem to be just a touch in the leather main theme. There`s a subtle sweetness of vanilla that gives a smoothness to the leather theme and the patchouly adds a woody support to the leather.
    The only thing that i dislike on it is that it`s very close to skin. I wished it was more intense, since classical leather fragrances are not so easy to find nowadays...

easycesco's avatar
    easycesco

Esprit du Tigre / Spirit of the Tiger by Heeley

Odd and interesting perfume this one!
    Very refined version of the famous Tiger Balm, but not only that. The charming power of an old and mysterious medicinal remedy, with a warm spicy drydown!
    Great stuff!

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Gomma by Etro

I agree that Gomma smells very similar to Knize Ten. However, there is one big difference: Gomma actually smells good.

Gomma is definitely a leather scent, but with a lot of powdery floral notes blended in. This is a light, tanned leather, rather than a dark, smoky black leather. There's also none of the gasoline-and-mothballs accord that Knize Ten has. I don't know why this is called "Gomma", because I smell absolutely no rubbery notes or pencil eraser smells in this scent whatsoever.

Like Knize Ten, Gomma smells extremely old school and powdery, and could even be deemed a dandy's fragrance. Its old-time, gentlemanly, straight-laced feel is very appealing, especially for me because I have very few fragrances of this sort in my collection.

This is a scent I'd wear with a suit and tie. Wearing this while watching NASCAR and chowing on pizza just wouldn't feel right.

MY RATING: 8/10

JackWest's avatar
    JackWest
    Sweden Sweden

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

The tar note is a real killer!!

volley2's avatar
    volley2
    China China

Washington Square by Bond No. 9

There is a certain coldness to this scent. It is actually quite pleasant from start to finish. I agree with the other review here that this could pass for a unisex fragrance. One of the more interesting fragrance from this house. The purple rose, amber, leather and musk are the main players here. The honey gives it the sweetness. But it's not cloying. Thumbs up!

Gilgamesh2003's avatar
    Gilgamesh2003

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

An amusing, coarse fragrance that Luca Turin inexplicably identifies as being gloomy and foreboding. He also likes it. I agree with him in that I enjoy Fahrenheit 32, but it's about as foreboding as a Starbucks latte.

The opening evokes the classic rubber/gasoline/HR Geiger nightmare accord from Fahrenheit; this dissipates instantly. It flashes on, as if to remind you that you're really smelling a Dior Fahrenheit, and then goes. This takes just a few seconds. Don't expect it to linger and you won't be disappointed.

The rest of the fragrance is, surprise surprise, a vanilla gourmand. Pretty much JUST vanilla, creamy, edible, COLD vanilla. I get the faintest breath of mint and some bitter herbs or vetiver, but it's mostly rather sweet and gentle. Excellent sillage and longevity.

Is it as good as the original? Absolutely not. But it's certainly interesting, and very wearable.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Hyle by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Perhaps I placed too much credence in the Luckyscent blurb for this scent, which promised a briny, crisp, salty blast of oceanic air; bristling with freshness. The notes list seemed promising.
    On my skin, this is a slightly dusky and definitely powdery scent. There is not the slightest trace of anything crisp, fresh, or oceanic here. None.
    Soft and powdery, a bit sweet... Sometimes like a warm plastic kid's toy or a soapy shampoo bottle left in the sun. Sometimes with a fleshy-musky note which reminds me of Cumming. Where are the myrtle, lavender, ginger, juniper? MIA.
    Soft musk and a hint of patchouli appear in the dry-down.
    This is not a horrid scent. But given what I was expecting, it does not live up to that.

Hollandaze's avatar
    Hollandaze

Cereus pour Homme No. 7 by Cereus

I bought this off someone in the classifieds as a blind buy. This was a leap of faith for me considering a lot of people compared the opening and a bit of the mid to Cool Water/Green Irish Tweed. I'm a huge fan of Green Irish Tweed and I was going to purchase it, however, I ignored my own advice of, "get what you actually want, not what's just like it". Well, with this one, it paid off pretty well.

The opening is familiar, it's a fresh green scent that's reminiscent of Green Irish Tweed. However, we get to the base where things take a slightly different turn. While Green Irish Tweed relatively sweet, mossy, and green, Cereus #7 has a somewhat synthetic leather note with some transparent musky woods that adds into the mix. It's almost as if it's an "updated" Green Irish Tweed that's slightly less natural smelling and about a notch more transparent. It sort of gives it an interesting edge where synthetic notes are done right. So, this is my current "go to" signature fragrance from this point on. It just works anywhere and any time.

However, for the price I got for this bottle in the classifieds, it was worth it. Is it worth it at the $125 plus tax from your local niche retailer? Not really. Especially if you're looking for a Green Irish Tweed replacement. You might as well dish out the extra money for the originator. However, it does a solid job of refreshing a 2 1/2 decade old composition. If I had to buy either one at the same price for the same amount of juice, I'd still choose Green Irish Tweed due to the fact that it provides a slightly thicker cloud of scent around you.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Jade by Olivier Durbano

This is a nice scent: aromatic, quite green. It starts with a herbal and green-tea note which is appealing. Somewhat dark in character and a bit spicy. Substantial and not heavy. It is rather mysterious and evocative, suggesting a mossy pond in a cool forest or the intense damp green plant notes of a tropical conservatory. The dry-down gets more mossy, with a smoky-grassy note from the mate and a dusky-sweet note from the immortelle.

MsMaryO's avatar
    MsMaryO

Ellenisia by Penhaligon's

ELLENISIA is so pretty and happy, like a clear morning in spring still clinging to winter’s chill. (LOTR fans should get that reference.) Sometimes violet can make me sad, as in Apres L'Ondee, but not Ellenisia. It stays green and upbeat, all the way through. It's slightly green opening is surprisingly similar to AL'O but without the anise. Although I love AL’O, I think I would prefer Ellenisia as it must be the anise in the opening that seems to pull my mood down.

I can close my eyes and see the first green shoots poking through the gray cold earth - one of my most beloved harbingers of spring. The jasmine, gardenia and tuberose all play so nicely together that no one stands out in a harsh or headache-inducing way, making it a white floral that some white floral-haters might be able to wear. Dry down is a pretty violet and plum, although it could be a little woodier. Vanilla is around just to give a little depth, not noticeable as vanilla.

Moderate sillage and excellent longevity, going on 6 hours and it is still going strong. Perfect spring scent!!

ShaRania's avatar
    ShaRania

Dulcis in Fundo by Profumum

FBW. HG. If I had to confine myself to one scent for the rest of my life, this would be it. At first spritz my nose & eyes crinkle at something very stingy-peppery but that immediately gives way to warm, deep, sweet, brown-sugar-and-bourbon-y loveliness. I get only a very faint whiff of orange at any time.

I adore this frag with the heat of a thousand suns, but unfortunately the more often I wear it the less I seem to be able to smell it on myself. Still, my 8oz sample from TPC is almost gone :sniff: and I'm contemplating biting the big $240 bullet. I've never paid that much for perfume but really, it's only a matter of time. Because now that I've had it, I surely cannot live without it.

kierroo's avatar
    kierroo
    Scotland Scotland

No. 89 by Floris

Stocked up on this when John Lewis had a big bowlful of samples for like a month and i knew it was the aftershave of choice for 007

Even from the first drops on ur neck or wrist, you can feel and smell that 89 is Suave and sophisticated yet totally understated. Bergamot and flower flavours, the early notes are mostly dominated by the lavender and citrus smell, while moving to rose and ylang ylang.

sophisticated bottle, this defo not for daytime wear, but for a nice black-tie event or date in the evening time, wear your tux and spray this on to take on the world.

El classico

Spoombung's avatar
    Spoombung

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A brilliantly conceived, truly amazing, dry, peppery vetiver with real presence. It oozes class...but costs an absolute fortune.

EDIT: I've gotta say this evoked a reaction pretty close to revulsion among the young people (mainly women) in my workplace.

"You smell like an old lady"
    "That smells sweet like a woman's perfume"
    "That reminds me of care homes: lavender and urine. Ugh."
    "That costs HOW MUCH?"

*sigh*

11th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2011)

Spoombung's avatar
    Spoombung

Vanille Absolument / Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This does what it says on the tin - rich, creamy vanilla and buttery, sweet toffee. It's very similar to all those Body Shop buttery, sweet creams and doesn't change much once it's on you.

It's yummy in a foodie sort of way and great for people who like their perfumes to smell like food (puddings and deserts).

11th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2011)

jtd's avatar
    jtd

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Closest thing to dried vetiver roots I’ve ever smelled in a perfume. Captures the dusty, arid quality of dried soil on roots. Vetiver, along with sandlewood, frankincense and a handful of other non-floral botanicals, can stand on its own not only as a scent but as a fragrance. RdV takes this path and goes straight to the root. It remains undistracted and doesn’t try to highlight any particular facet (eg. licorice) or complement (lemon), just the whole root-cellar vibe. Feels a bit searing in a nice, powerfully dry way as it goes on, but then calms down on a fairly linear course to a low-sillage, intimate scent.

11th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 February, 2011)

jtd's avatar
    jtd

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

(I have the edp)

Some very strong scents suggest wearing with restraint if not caution. Not Scherrer. This is the kind of heavy, bruiser of a green chypre that I just want to drench myself in. It is powerful and unashamed and urges me be likewise.

Sometimes my mind remembers Scherrer as almost pure oakmoss. But then I put it on again and the galbanum jumps up in front of me and the floral heart just shouts at me. This baby is loud but beautifully blended, with bitter fruity tartness (bergamot, mandarin?) and dark, spicy dry florals.

Scherrer is that uncommon, but thrilling reminder that seduction doesn’t always take place sotto voce, or catch you against your better judgement. Scherrer calls to you with full-throated come-ons and wants you to feel the enticement. Scherrer is more pick-up than courtship, more tryst than date.

11th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 June, 2011)

PeteH's avatar
    PeteH

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Whoa... This juice is really tenacious. It hangs about for many, many, many hours, and lingers in clothing after it has been laundered. Oh that PdN New York did this, because it would be desirable. Arpege PH is, unfortunately, not the sort of fragrance I wish to reek of for a day-and-a-half. It's hyper-sweet, it smells cheap, and it makes me sneeze.

I am mystified by comparisons with Jaipur PH. Yes, there is a vague resemblance to Pi, but Arpege is much, much sweeter, sweet enough to make me recoil, and then go wash most of it off. If we must play the comparison game, I can see startling similarities between Arpege PH and John Varvatos, and that's about it.

Love the Malevich-inspired bottle, though.

11th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 November, 2012)

Adidas Originals pour Homme by Adidas

Fresh, aromatic and masculine. The final note of vanilla tames a bit with its smoothness the mentholated, alcoholic, slightly earthy temperament. I agree with the previous reviewer, there is a timeless sort of vintage casual note which teleports us in a left back wealthy age. The fragrance is discreet and close to skin.

11th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2013)

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

A floral/aromatic fougere with a light smell of violet and a confident virile approach. The masculine trait is in a while enhanced by the introducing lavender, by a pleasant birch resin (providing an intimate woodsy/aromatic feel- a bit berry type) and by a following notable cardamom. This first stage is slightly herbal/alcoholic (may be vaguely boozy), sparkling (it seems i detect also bergamot), modern, really virile, peppery and somehow conventional. The jasmine delicacy hardly performs in the spicy water of citrus/lavender and sparkling alcohol. The base is woody (louro amarelo and sandalwood) and musky. The latter performs better after a couple of hours emerging when the virile aroma tames a bit. Fresh, uncompromisingly masculine but ordinary and forgetable, this is the almost all Boss's fragrances story.

11th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2014)

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Wonderful, aromatic and sensual chypre which is a renowned name in the great glorious worldwide perfumery history. The combination between green, aromatic and earthy elements with woods, sensual flowers and resins (mostly waxy) is gorgeous and sumptuous. This fragrance is extremely spicy/carnal, holy and mysterious at once. The smell, as well as illustrated in the advertising, conjures a bit the aroma of burning aromatic candles and is full of atmosphere, spirituality and esotericism. Camomile (slightly resinous in this case) is the key element, it's perceivable and plays a role that the lavender uses to accomplish in many fragrances around, it provides a fluidy/spicy, bit traditional feel but in a more feminine way. It is the natural shelter for white flowers, earthy vetiver and rooty stark patchouli in the way it is performed an impenetrable and mysterious blend which is highly aromatic even due to green notes as may be basil and verbena. Musk and amber perform a bit of animalic/woodsy density and flavour in order to polish slightly the general rawness with a syrupy animal insertion while heavy woods as dry saldalwood and oakmoss interact with resins and musk in order to infuse texture and substance to the rooty, sylvester juice. I detect a bit of smoky incense (and I'm almost sure about). This fragrance is able to impress sensuality also to a very mature demure woman, it's erotic and spiritual at once, it expresses a subterranean sinful sensuality hidden behind the outlook composure. The mystic sensuality abides in the complicated bouquet of arcane flowers and in the deeply floral, exotic, slightly "laundry" and sensual ylang ylang trail. The ascetic temperament is expressed by the elevated union between earthy, rooty, floral, resinous obscure elements and by incensey/waxy resins. You must have a lot of additional character and charisma to wear this misty, exotic scent. Great projection expecially with the EDP.

11th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2014)

Castrensis's avatar
    Castrensis

Arsène Lupin Voyou by Guerlain

This starts with an herbal-citrus blast that quickly dries down into a rather unremarkable melange of dry woods & sweet notes. The sandalwood is pleasant & persistent upon a benzoin/amber/vanila/patchouli accord touched with rosy notes. Enjoyable, translucent, & warm but Voyou has neither the novelty nor the aesthetic to justify its price tag.

Maja by Myrurgia

I remeber 13 or 14 years ago i'v recieved a colonge splash version of this perfume. and i remeber it was more
    spicer Stronger with more Incense and more Peppery and i fell in love with
    the scent and i coudent wait to get it
    again when i finished the splash.
    and now i got a mini size of the perfume
    i was so Dissapointed they changed to formula they made it watery Mens aftershave. i coudent belive it.
    what happed to the Maja! they made it tame! I want to Fire back To the Maja
    The old Formula Add more Cinnamon
    Civet Leather Incense Benzion.

Matthew Williamson - The Collection: Warm Sand by Matthew Williamson

I Whould describe this as a Organic version of Dior's Dune but lighter and
    without alot of Aldehydes and Ozone
    and tarry benzoin in it but it doesn't last long it dissapers like in 5 Minutes
    and then i have to reply it over and over again. i'm sorry Matthew Williamson but I perfer Dior's Dune
    then your Warm Sand.

Lunster's avatar
    Lunster

Cologne 41 by Abercrombie & Fitch

Cologne 41 is GREAT! its not exactly daring, but it is perfect in the mix of Clean and Rugged. Girls will go crazy for this! i have a pretty good collection and i believe this is currently my favorite cologne.

Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours by Guerlain

This is pure Lavender at it's fineset
    Lavender is known for Positive qualities
    like releaving insect bites headaches
    and insomnia and it's calming. to me
    this is more up lifting then calming
    so i don't agree with the calming aspect
    of Lavender.
    At first 10 minutes lavender drowns out
    the other notes the drydown is an a little dissapointing because it's very
    hard to detect the other notes mainly
    for the dominace of Lavander but i do smell a faint vanilla note but that's
    all.