Fragrance Reviews from February 2011

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Vie de Chateau by Nicolaï

VIE DE CHATEAU introduces what smells to me like a dry, smoky green leather chypre with just a touch of sweetness. The texture seems a little gritty at first but smoothens itself out as musky patchouli ties up the disparate elements together, effectively binding the dry brown of hay and tobacco leaves to the deep earthy green of oakmoss.

Excellent stuff! I can imagine how intrigued I'd be were I to smell this on a young woman. It has all the gravitas of a long-lost vintage, and the androgynous ambiguity to make it wearable even to the men. That it was delivered by a niche house is probably something we should be grateful for as I doubt if this composition could have made it past today's focus groups had it been a designer release. While I do wish the structure could hold itself together for a little while longer, the magic that Vie de Chateau weaves over the first hour is enough to make me a believer.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Lemon No. 1999 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

Lemon, lemon, lemon and more lemon.
    If you like lemons, this is your perfume.
    Good sillage and projection too.

shadidahs's avatar

Romania Romania

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Lavender is the discerning gentleman's Vetiver. And Grey Flannel does it exceptionally well. This one is a diamond in the rough.

DKNY Red Delicious by Donna Karan

Oh, whatta hell is this? The Barbie's smell may be.

12 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2011)

bokaba's avatar

Arôme 3 by D'Orsay

I find Arome 3 (pre-reformulation) to be a good compromise between the light and airy natural lavender of Caldey Island and the in your face peppermint and medicinal lavender opening of Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge both of which are amazing lavenders in their own right. Arome 3 is perfumy and heady with a nice lavender accord in the opening that is not extended by the usual suspects moss and vanilla, but rather by a spicy floral heart of ylang, jasmine, and a light base of cedar and amber. The accords are nearly seemless though a tad sharp at times. Arome 3 is very floral and very French, but in a refined, gentlemanly way. I can still hear click of the Comte d'Orsay's ebony walking stick as he strolls eloquently down the old cobblestone streets of Paris on moonlit night on the eve of the Second Empire.

12 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2011)

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

Curve Crush for Men by Liz Claiborne

This is my first cologne ive ever used my grandma bought it for me and it still kicks alot of butt even to this day,its a good cheap cologne,nice and spicey and fresh.

12 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 September, 2011)

Black Suede by Avon

Not bad but nothing special cause many following fragrances smell similar to this one. Everything has already been told aboud. This is not a dark one in my opinion, it's a bit floral in the middle, is spicy from the top to the bottom (nutmeg and cloves) and has a woody-ambery dry down not so mellow, resinous and sweet it to become a cloying or too sweet fragrance. It's a bit leathery and animalic because of the musks and the leathery somewhere hidden elements. The starting sweetness is tamed by a moderately dry base, a bit powdery and just in the right way mild, where dry ingredients (cedar and oakmoss) balance the natural resinousity of amber. This is a smooth spicy oriental, versatile and preferable for formal events at night.

12 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2014)

Capucci pour Homme by Roberto Capucci

A fresh, clean, musky/soapy/hesperidic fougere (in the clan with the Armani Classic Pour Homme, Boss Bottled and many others) which is in my perception a slightly mentholated (basil, anice) sort of mild lemonade (lavender, lime, lemon, bergamot, fruits). Following after a fruity-floral middle, the dry down is mossy and woody but in a light and airy hesperidic "yellow" way. It is pleasantly old school and nice to feel over fresh and clean. It lacks an high level of distinction (but not a dose of daring exoticism) leaning a bit over the casual-sporty side. This is for a dynamic kind of man.

12 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2014)

Yumm's avatar

Guilty by Gucci

Guilty has too much going on. I originally bought it because of the lilac notes, but in the end, they co-mingle with the other notes in a clashing power struggle. This scent physically overwhelms me, and is quite expensive.

12 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st February, 2014)

Worth1969's avatar

L - L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani

I am certainly not a fan of Gwen Stefani, but I love women who smell good.
    Gave this to a friend who wears it quite liberally and Wow! She smells absolutely scrumptious when she wears this! We are just friends, but the lamb is so divine on her I'm almost tempted to take it further -
    now that's saying something!

2 thumbs up for Lamb.

blondex199667's avatar

Douglas Hannant by Robert Piguet

This opens with a well-executed orange blossom center stage, supported by unsweetened pear (and perhaps a bit of lychee, or blood orange?) and gardenia done here as it seems to have been done in the original L'Air Du Temps. Off to a good start!
    About 30 minutes in, the tuberose begins to displace the top notes. It's at this point that DH's ancestor, Fracas, begins to whisper to you. But this time, the indoles are toned way down to a much more modern and wearable level.
    The tuberose holds court for about 2 hours, then slowly slips away revealing it's sandalwood and musk base. I'm reminded now how much I like sandalwood, especially when so well incorporated to the overall structure of the fragrance. The musk here is more full-bodied than the white musks so common in contemporary perfumery which is a lovely surprise. The jasmine is there, but only if you really search for it. Six or seven hours in- and it's gone.
    I think this is a very well done fragrance, and how nice to see a respected house turn out a fragrance at an accessible price!
    I asked 13 people for their opinion of Douglas Hannant while I was wearing it, including a few fragrance salespeople. Of the 13, 3 felt it was pushing it for a guy to wear it and 1 of them simply did not care for it at all. The other 12 liked it, with 5 saying they loved it.
    DH is, perhaps, what people were expecting from Fracas For Men, and it would not be surprising if it becomes known as such, just as No.5 Eau Premiere is known as No. 5 For Men.
    Incidentally, I would give the sillage a 4 out of 5 for the first hour or two, rapidly retreating after that.
    I've really enjoyed wearing this today, so much so that I'll be ordering a bottle. Tuberose is, after all, my favorite note and I love how this smells and feels both modern and retro concurrently. Hannant, and Piguet, should be proud.

enchie's avatar

L'Agent by Agent Provocateur

All of the Agent Provocateur has Done by Christian V. Provenzano and L'agent is his latest Master Piece Creation line for Agent Provocateur..

ciremorgan's avatar

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

Just bought a bottle from Marshall's for $20. After spraying one blast of this orange-musky stuff I feel cheated!

DavidBee456's avatar

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Is this a fresh spring/summer AMEN?
    It does have a great fresh sweet tobacco leaf note but wheres the syrupy vanilla and cocoa?
    I expected much more vanilla and cacao but I really get more and more honey and tobacco as it dries down.
    I might not remember Dreamer correctly but something about this reminds me of what I think Versace Dreamer smelled like when I wore that 12 yrs ago. I guess I was a expecting something a little more complex and gourmand.
    Try before you buy..and good luck with this. I am sticking to mugler cologne this summer.

Bigsly's avatar

Cuir by Lancôme

Nice leather but due to the other notes it's a bit too feminine for me, and I wear plenty of "women's" fragrances. I think there is a kind of syrupy quality that bothers me, but I wonder if I'd like it if the leather note was turned up quite a bit. It almost feels like it's trying too hard to be liked, and that "art" was sacrificed to likability. If you don't want a leather fragrance that is sweet and powdery, then I don't think you need to sample this one. If you do, then you'll probably like it.

Aiona's avatar

Carven Homme (original) by Carven

I like the top notes. It's what makes it so appealing. It smells like honey to me. Maybe that's the tarragon that I'm smelling? It's the drydown that becomes less appealing to me because it's a patchouli scent -- a note I'm not fond of. Some compare it to Zino by Davidoff, but if Zino is patchouli dry, then Carven is patchouli blush. I like it better than Zino because the amber and vanilla sweeten the patchouli. It's almost Angel-like, really. I'd have to compare them side by side to see. I saw some compare it to L'Instant by Guerlain, and I guess I see the similarities. Gourmand patchouli. A little incense in the drydown. Beware of falling in love with this one, because it is discontinued, although many compare it to Gucci Envy. I sampled Envy a long time ago, and I don't remember liking it as much as I do this one. But that was years ago, and maybe my tastes have changed.

Weimar27's avatar

Métal by Paco Rabanne

P.R Metal is like a cold blade glading across flesh
    almost give a sense of vircera Secerations Magnifiques
    without the blood and iodine, There is nothing soft
    about this, Clean and Antiseptic lines make you think
    of a monochrome colored room free of clutter there is
    nothing execpt a large screen white chair staring at
    a man controling your emotions thoughts like Big Brother a clinical utopia a Minimalistic Aestheticism in a bottle, Bladerunner's Femme Fatale and replicant Rachael must have worn this when trying to seduce
    Deckard only the most iciest femme fatales can pull
    this off there's no cozy Ambers no spices or warm
    resins an unique scent that does'nt follow any rules a class of it's self.

BlondeDiva71's avatar

Child by Susan D. Owens - Child

This is a very pretty indolic jasminey/soapy clean scent! I first tried it out as a sample and enjoyed it enough to buy the 1.3 oz. roll-on. It really is beautiful..it lifts my spirits (must be the Jasmine), people comment on how nice it smells but I don't get any sort of musky drydown...although it could just be the way the scent carries on my skin. If you're interested in trying "Child" I would go to "ThePerfumedCourt.com" and I believe they have it set up where you can try a sample vial for a nominal fee..I'm pretty sure they carry "Child"...although don't quote me on that. Mind you, this is a pretty heady floral but the right person/personality can carry it off! Enjoy!

JackWest's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Allure Homme by Chanel

I wore this fragrance at a club over the weekend and OMG this fragrance captured the attention of the girls. They kept circling me like sharks! It keeps hitting your face with these creamy pleasant waves of different notes, hour after hour. This is a must have in any collection and I do not care if you like it or not. I am considering purchasing the flankers.

Love and Tears by By Kilian

Petitgrain gives the topnotes a sharp sweetness, followed by a clear, fresh jasmine all the way to drydown. l sense a gardenia note here too, but it's cool & crisp, not creamy. l agree with Suga; "limpid" & "watercolour" describes this very well. A lovely, soft & delicate Spring fragrance.

Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom & Myrrh by Jo Malone

On my skin the cardamom note is overwhelming in this fragrance. lt's strangely compelling, but only in the sense that it gives me a craving for curry. lt's over an hour before that begins to fade, & the floral notes peep through. l get tuberose & jasmine, but not really gardenia. After another hour there's a hint of sweetness, perhaps from the myrrh, but it all fades rather quickly after that. This is not a gardenia fragrance to me, definitely try before you buy.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

Old Fashioned masculine scent; sweet and oriental; good longevity and sillage...

In my eyes (and nose) this is no weird or old man`s scent; this is what was available in the 80`s...and being born in the late 60`s...for me it is full of wonderful memories...

Give it a try if you want to sample a glimpse of the 80`s...

Big thumbs up...of Course...!!!

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Berries again, yawn... For me the only thing that distinguishes this from all the other generic fruity-florals out there (l'm looking at you, Lady Million) is a rather lush creamy note which l quite like, but isn't enough to save it. lt has very low sillage on me, & isn't terribly long-lasting either, thank goodness.

Samsara by Guerlain

lnstant love! This is the closest l have come to having a signature fragrance. lt has everything l need, & if l could give it ten thumbs up, l would. lt's a warm, creamy, smooth, sweet & sultry blend of jasmine, amber & sandalwood, which makes me feel clean, comforted & sexy all at the same time. lt works for cozying up at home as well as on a night out, & can be worn at any time of the year. The sillage is soft yet has great presence, & it lasts well, especially on clothes & sheets! l wish l could find some poetic words to describe how much l love this smell on me, but really it simply feels like "me", only better! l've already bought a backup bottle, because l will always need this in my wardrobe.
    This review is for the EDP.

Moonstone by Sage Machado

This perfume oil is a very soft, green yet creamy gardenia. So soft that l can barely smell it on me, & although it's nice & pretty, it doesn't last long, hence the neutral rating.

Amethyst by Sage Machado

A pleasant smell of sweet African violets, this perfume oil has very little sillage & lasts barely 90 minutes on me, hence the neutral rating.

Poison by Christian Dior

l was sent a sample of the Esprit de Parfum by a generous basenoter & approached it with some trepidation as, like many others, l have very bad memories of eighties overkill with this fragrance. As l dab it on my skin the memories come flooding back, & an instinctive wave of revulsion washes over me, but wait.. this is smoother, gentler somehow. Those instantly recognisable dark berry fruits are still there, but more honeyed & creamier than l remember. lt's almost comforting, like a rich plum pudding. l get a little tuberose in the heart, & then hours later the musky base comes in, with just a faint suggestion of amber.
    l still get the feeling that overdoing it could cause headaches & nausea, & l don't think l would ever grow to love this fragrance, but there's no denying that it is a landmark in perfumery, & the sillage & longevity are phenomenal. While l can't imagine leaving the house wearing this, l will dab from my sample occasionally just to get to know it better, but only in winter.

odysseusm's avatar

Cardinal by Heeley

I love this scent.
    I had heard about for a long time, that it was a reference-point for incense scents. I finally got a sample and -- wow, is it good! Excellent frankincense with its typical lemon-coniferous note. Smoothed out by a touch of buttery labdanum/cistus. The scent is not heavy or sweet. While it is a bit smooth it has the haunting, evocative quality of a great incense. It reminds me of the cool air of cathedrals, the echoed chanting of priests, the gold notes of icons... There is a delightful woody note in the drydown. Highest endorsement here.

Jubilation 25 by Amouage

l get a very herbal vibe from this, maybe cumin or tarragon, & it makes me think of curry for the first hour or so. l get the incense/animalic notes, & then the florals peep through, the herbs become woodier, & it's more of a classic French perfume; florals so well-blended that l can't pick them out, & a touch of fruit, but still that spicy incense. 4 hours in there's a trace of amber, & then it begins to fade into a base of mossy woods. lt's a bit of an oddity to me & not like anything l've smelled before, it's almost as if they threw every ingredient they had to hand into one fragrance. l respect it's composition, but it's not really my style. l think it would probably appeal to lovers of mossy chypres like Cristalle.

karisuma's avatar

Black Jeans by Versace

Maybe my loss, and maybe because I'm not a formal guy (this is said to be worn with tuxedo and such). In any case, Black Jeans smells nearly identical to the scent of Palmolive dish liquid. It smells like black ink poured over cooked cabbage. As intriguing as that may be, it doesn't smell good to my nose.