Fragrance Reviews from February 2011

Grottola's avatar

Design for Men by Paul Sebastian

In the words of shamu1: "Next, imagine what Casual would smell like if you added shampoo and a synthetic raw beef smell to it."

HA! I quite agree. Design for Men is a cheap, overtly chemical citrus that smells like a cheap shampoo from the 80's. Nauseating and very "cologne guy" like.

Bang by Marc Jacobs

I am a big pepper fan! Fragrances such as Poivre Samarcande, Poivre 23, Victor & Rolf's Antidote, as last but not least, Le Labo's new chicago exclusive called "Baie Rose 26" are some of the best pepper based fragrances out there. I am very dissapointed with what Marc Jacobs has done with Pepper in this fragrance!

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

This is one of the best pepper fragrances in the universe. I really enjoy this one. I have been wearing this one for years and it always get compliments. Warm, sexy, comforting! Simply one of the best! It also is my favorite of Hermessence. Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka come right after this!

Poivre 23 by Le Labo

WOW, this stuff simply rocks! It truely is one of the best creations by Le Labo house. Starts off with sexy and exotic pepper which stays for about 15 minutes or so, dries down to a very sexy incense mixed with australian sandlewood! Truely a masterpiece!

Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé by Hermès

Great Fragrance. I don't consider it unisex however, I picked up a bottle of it for my girlfriend's birthday and she loved it! Excellent stuff!

Baie Rose 26 by Le Labo

This is amazing stuff. Baie Rose is "PINK PEPPER", and not Rose! The quality of pepper in this fragrance is second to none. This stuff blew me out of my socks and I was contemplating about it for 2 days after I smelled it for the first time. Dry down is very interesting too, Musk, Ceder, Cloves and a bit of Aldehydic notes. The best way to describe the dry down would be to think of a basement of a building that once people used to drink and smoke in it for many years, and then it was abandoned. Really! It is amazing stuff!

MatthewPK's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, yada, yada, yada. I'm not eating a candy bar here. My first encounter with this was after significant dry-down. A delicious, complex variation on patchouli, which I am just a sucker for. Just got some for my wife - we'll see how that works out. So far, just tried some on myself. Early on, I pick up a somewhat annoying sour note. This disappears and improves over a little bit of time. Not quite at the patchouli point yet, but very pleasing. Quite impressive.

thecentennial's avatar

Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons

I am a big fan of woody scents, and this matched my expectations. Great initial pepper bite, with a touch of oud just tickling your nose. The cedar remains throughout and compliments the vetiver base very well. If you like wood, then I highly recommend this. Very masculine IMO.

onceling's avatar

Sanrio - My Melody by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is a sweet, marzipan (marketed as almond) and sugar, with some spice (gingerbready / cinnamony spice). It is completely appropriate for the youth it is designed for. Longevity is surprisingly reasonable, a warm and cozy scent.

This is definitely not something an experienced nose would enjoy, it is quite synthetic, candified and so on, but for the target market it is quite a nice unusual purchase somewhat different to the fruity florals pedaled to that age group.

francisfahey's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

Signature pour Homme by S.T. Dupont

I don't know how to describe fragrances note by note. But this smells EXACTLY like GUCCI Envy for men. IDENTICAL. They're also both powerhouse fragrances so the scent lingers on the skin for a long time. Unfortunately they both made me nauseated for some reason. I've learned my lesson on not buying fragrances solely based on reviews here because olfaction is truly a very personal thing.

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Menthe Fraiche / Fresh Mint / Eau de Menthe by Heeley

Menthe Fraiche is true to its name: a fresh mint fragrance. This one cannot hide the toothpast aspects of mint, but it cleverly mix it with the more green aroma of mint leaves, resulting in a fresh herbal opening, slightly citrus. The mint accord, as usual, doesn`t last too long, and leave space for a transparent woody scent, with something slightly tea-ish, and a vegetal woody accord. Seems perfect for summer hot days and tottaly adequate for wearing it at work without bothering anyone.

Beau Brummel's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

Excellent office fragrance. You will not get bored of this one. Classy, elegant and discrete. Very safe. Go for it.

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

Some time may elapse before you rediscover really good fragrances could not notice... this is the case!
    Brilliant opening, tripudium of energising citrus and agrumes, after the verbena cypress combination starts to get out,,, wow!!!this phase in my opinion is REALLY WONDERFUL.
    longevity could be greater but it's a perfet cologne.

JonB's avatar

Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Sartorial would be very difficult to describe in words; you will need to sample it for yourself. This is a non-standard fragrance that will probably garner plenty of negatives, but I love it.

mjkded's avatar

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Very, VERY nice smelling fragrance. sophisticated yet easy to wear. i sprayed it on a card and my skin (how i always test a fragrance) and the longevity? it's a joke. it lasts maybe 2 to 3 hours on my skin. on the card you ask? 30 minutes TOPS. yikes. if this stuff lasted or projected (which it does not do well) it would be simply the best Armani fragrance. it isn't.

angelica's avatar

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

In response to the myriad reviews I have read that pick this apart and compare it to other works by Jean-Claude Ellena, I say this:

I am sure c.1926 if such people were reviewing Shalimar, they would have said they could smell Jicky and New Mown Hay, and this and that and the other one from last year.

So what? And from the 1920s Guerlain catalogue of countless fragrances how many are still extant?

This is a transcendent fragrance. The whole is radiant yet comforting; the parts are kaleidoscopic, moving from one accord to the next, none ever smelling exactly identifiable... e.g. something sweet milky flowery (is that a reference to New Mown Hay perhaps?).

Just inhale and enjoy.

shamu1's avatar

Cigar Aficionado by Cigar Aficionado

If you can't manage to score a bottle of Davidoff Original, then Cigar Aficionado is a very good alternative. Though it's not a sillage monster, CA smells extremely masculine, and it has the dark and dirty wood and tobacco smell of Davidoff.

This is not a sweet, green tobacco scent like Burberry London. This is the smell of ultra-dark cigar tobacco, with the smell of cork board or burnt wood. It's extremely spicy. I will say that CA does smell a bit dated - there's a semi-sour woody pungency to it that reminds me of tough old 70s colognes like Calvin and Jacomo de Jacomo - but I don't care. Its shamelessly masculine character is a refreshing change from all the wimpy designer and androgynous niche fragrances that are released today.

Like Davidoff, CA smells like a scent that's meant to be worn while smoking cigars and drinking Scotch. Even so, it's an excellent scent regardless of that.

MY RATING: 8/10

Splash's avatar

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

Diorissimo (vintage parfum) is a sunshine buoy reached for when I need to smell the budding of new life. Fresh dewy Lily Of The Valley nestled in dawn’s spring green, unfettered top notes soaring with radiant clarity. Happiness and luminosity bursting forward for an hour or two and then they evanesce into what IS there is no bottom to tether the scent to the skin. Diorissimo is exultation; short lived but a glorious experience. I haven’t tried the newer formulations yet.

Rossi46's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Being a newbie I've been a little reluctant to post a review on BN. I'm still learning to pick out individual notes in most fragrances but when I first tried Joop! I thought, for the first time, that this is almost irrelevant. This is an absolute MONSTER! I've been searching for a frag with room clearing sillage and my god have I found it in Joop! Homme.

Having said that the opening is definately a little sweet for my taste but this certainly doesn't put me off. If you want to make a statement and have everyone in the room (or outdoors for that matter!) notice you, this is one to try.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

The name hardly does it justice. In case you're wondering there is a lot more going on than just vanilla and tonka. Soft orange blossom and mildly herbal citrus blend seamlessly with the dreamy (not creamy) vanilla-tonka base with frankincense giving it a dry airy feel. The sillage is simply exquisite! Not too sweet either. Definitely a top contender from Parfums de Nicolai and one that I would wear in a heartbeat.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Mimosaïque by Nicolaï

MIMOSAÏQUE starts off a little green, a little floral with a fig-like note lurking in the background. It gets brighter and louder, almost strident even, and the mimosa scent finally comes onto its own. If L'Artisan Parfumeur's Mimosa Pour Moi is about the flower, de Nicolai's rendition include the leaves and twigs as well. As far as mimosa soliflores go, I much prefer L'Artisan's softer, more subtle take.

odysseusm's avatar

Profumo di Pantelleria by Profumi di Pantelleria

I too find this to be a unisex scent -- certainly nothing feminine about it. For me, it is substantially different than Blenheim Bouquet. BB has a cool and sustained lemony-pine chord which concludes in a soft musk which is often a feature in Penhaligon scents.
    Pantelleria starts with a lemony note, but it develops an herbal chord rather than pine. The herbs are attractive. This scent is much rounder and smoother than BB. Hints of floral notes (geranium rose in particular) add a softening touch. The dry-down is a substantial mossy one. It is green, cushy, dusky, and soapy in the way that moss often is. This is a comfortable and comforting scent if you like moss. If not, you may find it a bit fusty. I love moss so I enjoy it.

Zut's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I love this fragrance, I truly do. However, when it comes to perfumes, one must also take into account other people's opinions. I was given a big sample of Burberry London and I used it for a week. I fell in love with the tobacco/wine note. In fact, this rich sweet note reminds me of aromatic pipe tobacco which I find rather interesting. I could not bring myself to buy BL though. I only got bad comments on this EDT. Someone told me that I smelled like I an empty bottle of cheap booze. A French guy who works with me told me I smelled like "la goutte", which is an old home remedy for the cold, I think. When I asked some friends what they thought of BL, the most positive comment I got was "Well, it sure is special" (in my book, this is a polite way to say: "I don't care for it but, hey, it's none of my business!"). Anyway, I may buy a bottle just for my personal pleasure. I could wear BL in the privacy of my own home without offending anyone. Too bad...

shamu1's avatar

Vetiver by Etro

I don't find this to be anywhere near as bold, aggressive or "in your face" as the reviewers below describe it. Etro's Vetiver is dark and dry, but quiet. It does not project far, so you'll need to spray this on your neck and upper chest in order to smell it on yourself. Longevity is average - about 5 or 6 hours.

What I like is how woody it is. This smells like dry wood shavings blended with vetiver root. It is earthy, but dry, not earthy like wet soil. There's a subtle smokiness underlying the scent, which adds interest and complexity. I don't understand all the reviews describing this as a brutal, jagged beast of a vetiver. I find it rather smooth, refined and elegant. It is a quiet skin scent.

Etro's Vetiver is more along the lines Annick Goutal's Vetiver, rather than Guerlain's Vetiver, because of its darkness and smokiness. Though I prefer Guerlain's and Malizia's vetivers, Etro have produced an excellent vetiver that is well worth checking out.

MY RATING: 8/10

MJW77's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Good stuff. A mature, sophisticated leather fragrance. GG does exude a sense of masculine gentlemanliness but I don't think this is too old school and can easily be worn and enjoyed today.
    My Dad has the pre reformulation aftershave of Gentleman (which he doesn't use much.) Having compared this with the current EDT that I own, I don't think the reformulation is bad at all.

firehorse's avatar

Eau d'Elide by Diptyque

It starts off with a blast of bitter orange. ...

Then it settles down into: cupcake

It's a little weird in that it has a doughy quality to it. I found it comforting.

Black Mask's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

A charming, intimate, low key fragrance that gently raises the spirits with a warm and gentle accord. I think this cologne is misunderstood because fragrances that rely on the fig are suddenly of interest. Reviewers try to decide if the fig essence is of a dark fig, or of a green fig, or of fig leaves, or does it include fig branches. Luc a Turin turned up his nose at this recipe because he decided it was too weak a fig, and not up to other fig fragrances.

When I first smelled this I was reminded of a very soft and beckoning cedar oil offered at one of the fleeting boutiques that come and go at Bloomingdales in New York City. This was in the summer of 1973. You could buy individual oils and essences and some fixative and blend your own fragrances at the booth. I loved the straight cedar oil they had then. It was very light but evocative and lingered in the mind like a sweet memory.

Marc Jacobs for Men does not smell very much like figs to me. Nor does it smell of cedar. It does smell quite a bit like this essential oil of cedar once sold as a fragrance ingredient so long ago. It is quiet. It is in a good mood. It beckens. I like to smell it.

The cologne stays gently on my skin, and dries down to a warm and comfortable smooth wood basenote. There is not complex development, but this is not a simple minded splash, either. Quiet, optimistic, charming, and sophisticated in a less is more confidence.

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

Never mind an "idealised" flower, this just smells like a plastic flower to me. After reading the positive reviews here, l was sure l would love this, but it comes off as artificial, medicinal & just plain wierd to me. 2 hours in it dries down to a tolerable white floral with no discernable notes, then after 3 hours it's gone. l don't get why Luca Turin gives it such high praise in The Guide, but l guess it's just not for me; l like my flowers to smell like flowers.

Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein

l smell wood in this & nothing else. No fruit, no florals. lt's like Obsession with more wood & less spice, much less sillage & longevity, & very linear. Boring!

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

When l first tested the EDP in the store, l thought it was a nice, sensual fragrance, & l too thought it was a "light" version of Alien. But like others have mentioned, it seemed to break apart on my skin after a couple of hours. Then l saw a bottle of the parfum for sale online, & wondered if it might have a little more staying power; l couldn't resist ordering it. lt appears the parfum has been discontinued, but looking at the notes for the Elixir on Armani's website, it would appear that they are one & the same. The notes listed, as well as those above, are; violet, tonka, ginger & sandalwood.
    l find this considerably more satisfying than the EDP. The orange blossom is more pronounced, l get all of the notes described, as well as some incense, & the base is a more "solid" amber & honey combo. lf you're looking for a less in-your-face version of Alien, l highly recommend this. lt's suitable for day or evening, l've even worn it to work a few times, & l think it will really bloom in summer. The longevity could still be better- it lasts around 5 hours on me, & the sillage is soft, but this is a very feminine, warm, not-too-sweet oriental.