Fragrance Reviews from February 2011

Berceuse's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

After reading the reviews and the list of top, middle and base notes I have to say I only smell ONE thing: Aramis. For me, there aren't many fragrances, men's or women's, that are instantly recognizable by name once you get a whiff of the scent in a crowd. Aramis is one of these. It has to be worn to be appreciated. Maybe it's because I've been wearing this cologne for almost 30 years, but I don't pick up any of the individual notes at all. It just smells like Aramis and I don't need to pick it apart. Maybe this is the art of it.

Dry and linear, it's pretty much the same from beginning to end. It only gets finer and finer as the day goes on. I wear it any time I want to express my confidence and feel refined. Dressed up or casual. Day or night.

The thought of not being able to run out and get a new bottle when mine is getting low is very unsettling. Civilization thrives on change and progress, but I think we get comfort and reassurance from the classic things in life that endure the test of time unchanged. Aramis is one of these classics, and I will continue to wear it. Bravo!

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

In a word: Nebulous. Sol et Terra. It illuminates without form.

This opens with a citrus-sweetened freshly-shaved ginger & an impression of a freshly breeched pumpkin. A current of waxy iris identical to that found in L'Heure Bleue rises beyond this opening chord while grassy vetiver & a smell like caramelized sugar sans the sweetness forms a counterpoint & ground the brightness & severity of the opening without provoking tension. As the brightness of the opening fades, a lightly floral luminescence & translucent musk mingles with the grassy (not earthy) vetiver & smoky sugar to emit a rooted radiance.

koala501's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

I purchased this as a blind buy. 'Oh no'! I hear the cry from the gallery. I had read some interesting things about this scent and it tweaked my interest.

On first whiff I thought 'Uh-oh, what have I done'? It sure was a sweet cola smell and I was worried I might go out smelling of a man trying to bring his early twenties back! I could hear one of my best mates ribbing me, laughing and pointing his finger at me while holding his stomach while squawking 'What were you thinking'?. My wife shaking her head with a grin thinking 'You can't pull that off you poor old man'.

But then it dries down to a lovely woodsy smell. It does keep a metallic twang to it as well. This projects well and lasts decently. I have had compliments on it too.

This is different and would be a great night out scent and great in winter. I think it will bring compliments and people will be attracted to it. I wouldn't over apply it though. Sensual dry down imo.

koala501's avatar

Nautica Blue by Nautica

I needed a summer fragrance and saw this going cheaply. Having read some basenotes reviews I decided to go for it.

I love the berry opening. It's lovely and fresh- just great for wearing shorts or jeans- going to the beach or at the pub. While this opening doesn't last long the dry down is nice as well and it's perfect for what I wanted. I wore this to a BBQ not long ago and it was complimented on.

Great price and for summer it's a winner.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

A mentholated cherry lozenge nestled in a bed of vetiver inside a cedar box. Vile.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Une Souris Verte by Molinard

a fresh aromatic green and spicy (citrus !) scent.quite unusual and strange.it needs getting used to this somehow special scent- and to the package.it´s more a feminine scent.if you look for a green scent the following are a better choice : diorella by dior, cristalle by chanel!,vintage vent vert by balmain, eau sauvage by dior,vintage monsieur balmain.,vintage alliage by lauder.These scents are far more complex and interesting, better composed and balanced.

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

This is M7 lite. Equally offensive to my nose, but somehow ends up smelling like berries rather than cherries. Horrifying what this stuff costs.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Calèche by Hermès

floral aldehyd chypre composition by Guy Robert who composed the great equipage for hermes as well.perfectly balanced and refined feminine fragrance.timeless and outstanding.(vintage caleche!)these were still times when people were able to compose!scents that were magic and unique !!!

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Verveine / Lemon Verbena / Eau de Verveine / Verveine d'Eugène by Heeley

While i do like Verveine, it really bothers me that it`s not an original idea. Heeley`s Verveine seems to copy the core of Hermés un Jardin En Mediterrane, just changing the top notes for a less sweet and vegetal impression. The opening of Verveine is the best part, a citrus sparkling herbal combination of the lemon verbena and the bergamot. As usual with citrus fragrances, it only last for 15-20 minutes, and what comes next is pleasant, but no original at all. It`s the same combination of fig, blackcurrant and tomato leaves of Mediterrane, with the proportions changed to favor the blackcurrant instead of fig. I wish there was a more original drydown to the great opening. But there isn`t, and this is the reason why this one is neutral for me. I prefer the original and real thing, Hermés Un Jardin En Mediterrane, over this one.

Bonoanimoes's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Love and Luck for Women by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Love and Luck (Ed Hardy)

Nice opening notes, I can definitely smell some fruits here, discreet scent Spring / Summer, Casual, not exotic, young public definitely, reasonable silage and projection, Not the Best, nevertheless adequate.

rhiannon_chiana's avatar

Musc for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I would not want to smell this on a guy, let alone on me. It smells like a combination of subdued older man cologne and dirrrrrrrrty. I am used to the clean musks and don't mind them, whereas I found this very animalic, with a touch of spicy. The psychological effect was akin to somebody spraying some spray after using the bathroom- you're trying, so it's not totally gross, but the nasty is still nasty, and it's better just to stay away until it's gone. In other words, this is too dirty and a hint of respectable spice doesn't actually change that. I wouldn't find this scent sexy on a man I was attracted to, I wouldn't find it pleasant on a man I wasn't attracted to, I wouldn't wear it myself, and I'm not even sure who I would assign this to as appropriate (maybe Colin Farrel?), so thumbs down.

scentual1's avatar

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

It's ok, I'm not asian but lol, received my sample from one of my asian friends to try.
    Its construction is balanced, and upon intro I sense a hint of green moss, which upon drydown somehow changes into green candied apple (mixed with rose).
    Sillage is low to medium but I've found it will make one final comeback upon sweating.
    I agree it is not a memorable or distinctive scent, rather just a better than average run of the mill product. It's best worn in the fall when I believe that crispy green candied apple note I spoke of above comes out best in clear chilly air.

shamu1's avatar

Captain Molyneux by Molyneux

Lavender! Ocean water! Awesome! Captain Molyneux is my kind of cologne! Wow, I can get this online with a matching bottle of aftershave for dirt cheap! I have to get this!

So it was with great disappointment that I sprayed myself down liberally with Captain Molyneux yesterday, and within 15 minutes or so, I smelled nothing. It's not like the first 15 minutes were anything to write home about either - it just smells like another boring Eau de Cologne a la Roger & Gallet Extra Vielle, with some kind of synthetic-smelling civet or salt note note in it. On paper, my description might sound good, but trust me, we're not talking about a bargain version of Jicky here. This smells like a mix of synthetic aromachemicals trying to duplicate natural smells of lavender, citrus and civet, and the whole thing just smells flat, poorly blended and lifeless. And this boring smell only lasts 15 minutes, then nothing. R&G Extra Vielle smells like a powerhouse compared to this.

I should note that I bought the version that comes in a tall clear bottle with a blue shiny sticker, and comes with a matching aftershave. I believe this is a reissue and a reformulation, so perhaps the original Captain Molyneux is a lot better than the crap I bought. I'll probably never know.

MY RATING: 3/10

Force of One's avatar

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

This reminded me if Mugler Cologne and Chanel Pour Monsieur had a love child. Certainly very pleasant and clean smelling lemon. From a quick sampling the longevity and projection weren't great, but that could just be me.

If you like citrus scents, this is worth a try. Personally I won't be picking this up b/c I have the aforementioned two

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Tam Dao by Diptyque

An incense-dry, unembellished, nearly motionless cedar that occasionally fidgets in the direction of elastic rubber bands. Its combination of stillness with the woody interiority of a box leads me to think of a coffin and it is this stifling calm which has come to define my response to Tam Dao, despite my original enthusiasm for it as a spicy evocation of friction such as that produced by a fire-bow. Unfortunately that sought-after spark never issues and Tam Dao continues on, unresponsive, spreading its contagious ennui. More suggestive of the taphephobic Edgar Allan Poe than meditative Buddha, I enjoy it less with every outing. But, like the fixation on internment in Poe's fiction, I can appreciate the dogged observance of a theme – Tam Dao's coniferous monomania – and I'm not yet ready to give it up.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

More elaborate feast than libertine beast, 1740 Marquis de Sade is in turn boozy, buttery, leathery and then a stonkingly tenacious amber. It's gorgeous throughout, but especially during the first four hours, with head notes of port and immortelle – the latter's curry powder aspect kept in check by the cooling freshness of coriander and the mellowing 'there-there' of cardamom – and a heart like a gargantuan Eccles cake, with the juiciness of stewed vine fruits and the richness of a sizzling slab of butter. I propose this scent be re-named 1793 James Birch, after the British shopkeeper who, according to Salford City Council, was the first to start selling the cakes commercially. The cushy, natural leather pervades the composition like tobacco smoke seeping into upholstery, and the looming amber base throws a honeyed light on the dark wood boiserie.

1740 possesses the opulence of a Serge Lutens but avoids the pantomimic expression to which that house is sometimes prone. 1740's closest match is the (excellent) Ambre Sultan – both are generous amber compositions infused with herbs and spices – but 1740 is tirelessly dynamic in a way that Ambre Sultan fails to be. Another problem with several of the Lutens fragrances is that they are hollered, and with a very loud voice in one's throat it is difficult to think subtle things. 1740 speaks at a confident, though considerate, volume and is brimming with intelligent conversation that sparkles.

MyTailorIsRich's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Light reasonably pleasant scent. Seems pretty simple though I keep looking for some complexity, but it doesn't seem to be there. Projection seems low to me, but maybe that is because the scent is so light. I agree with other comments that it is a summery, beachy fragrance. Too bland for my taste.

rainmaker's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I also found this synthetic and cheap smelling. I don't understand why anyone would go with this instead of AdG, Versace PH or Dior Homme Sport.

MJW77's avatar

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I really like this one. The bitter orange and mint do make a very sweet opening, but there's also a kind of bracing cleanliness to it. The scent remains pretty sweet throughout but becomes more subdued as the tobacco note announces itself. I think it's a versatile fragrance that can be worn casually or formally and in most seasons. Not bad longevity for a cologne too. Good stuff!

Spoombung's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

The woman at The Perfume Shop in Lewisham, south London, reliably informed me this was their best seller... (by a mile!)... and the young guys just "can't get enough of it" and "go mad for it!". Okay, let's see what all the fuss is about and take a look.

First you get the ubiquitous, familiar, best-selling grapefruit thing, then it rapidly goes all sweet, sugary... and rather girlie.

I couldn't help thinking... who wants to smell like a pâtisserie full of sugared almond cakes? This is another one of those foodie perfumes. ANOTHER ONE! Who wants to smell like a big cinnamon pudding, almond cakes, a grapefruit and a vase of roses?

Whoever said this is the new Le Mâle in the reviews below was spot on. It's everywhere; like some hideous hit record by Scouting For Girls with awful, annoying lyrics.

16th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 18th February, 2011)

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

DANGER: CHEMICAL WEAPON. PLEASE KEEP THE SOUP CAN SEALED.

Lavender vanilla powder-bomb. Synthetic sickly sweet scrubber. Nausea & migraine inducing nightmare. This is a terrorist device, not a perfume.

16th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2011)

Skorpjon's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

Déclaration by Cartier

Some comparisons I do not understand and do not know why some of this analogy are doing them. One of the strange comparison is comparable between Déclaration and Terre d'Hermes. Is interesting that the number of people who approve these comments are not too low. Can only say that the similarities are very general and if they are more careful detail we do not see any resemblance between them. I think Terre is an excellent and very special, but I prefer Déclaration to it.

Déclaration is my signature and my friends say that Déclaration my two friends are inseparable! The beginning of the orange leaf can be clearly felt and Jean-Claude Ellena seems to smell of oranges and likes most of the fragrances that made its uses. (I've mentioned in the beginning of the smells are citrussy or fruity and almost all of them this rule is respected)

Déclaration is a light-woody scent. The silage is average and on my skin that lasts about five hours... I think this amount is sufficient. Some do not like the perfume they use powdery or creamy and Déclaration for these people is considered a good option. A joyful and unique that does it being boring is not seen. This is my specific but if you use it let me!

16th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 23rd February, 2011)

Skorpjon's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

No I'm not as interested in the smell, because apathy is that I think Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme smell too much oil and gives synthetic. When sprayed it on my wrist I feel that oil spilled on my hand and any time it goes much change is not created after the oil is destroyed, the smell will disappear entirely. With the sniff asthma have become and I can not endure it.

Michael Edwards classifies Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme as a aromatic-fougère and which seems to be true, but I think it can be in the category of citrusy perfumes put together although they are in the rough category. Combination of oil, cooked vegetables and rotten citrus. I've long forgotten.

16th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th February, 2011)

abysynth's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

let me start by saying that I think this is a brilliant composition. that being said, I'm fairly certain that a guy would not want to smell this on me. you see, after thinking & thinking, I finally pegged what the smell exactly was (at least, on me, to me, because let's face it, MKK is an even more subjective experience than most perfumes). originally I thought it was just perfume & human b.o., but that wasn't quite it actually. after the initial skanky explosion in the first couple minutes had abated a bit, I realized it smelled like freshly washed balls. not dirty unwashed balls, or post-coital balls, but balls that have just come out of the shower and are warm & smell a bit perfumey from the soap but still decidedly smell like balls just the same. hence the odd dual nature of the scent I originally detected, with the soap smell and the balls smell, which will never blend perfectly of course, they weren't designed to. after a while, this smell dries down to more of a freshly washed male underarm smell. again, no dirty/unwashed/putrid animal poo-pee/etc at all. just freshly washed skin in certain *ahem* areas of the body. which to be honest, I didn't find unappealing! that sort of a scent is one I associate not with sex specifically, but with general physical intimacy, where smelling areas like that are part of the normal experience between physically intimate people. but not specifically sex. in fact, the clean underarm smell was almost comforting to me, I could imagine it as being something I might smell as I fell asleep in the arm of my guy after he'd showered. strange huh? it's such a *human* smell. and you couldn't possibly layer anything else over/with MKK because it totally ruins that delicate balance between "just washed" and "male skin in certain areas", and changes it to a "trying to hide the fact that I smell bad by using perfume" smell (I know, I tried it!) And it really was a delicate balance, somehow ol' Uncle Serge managed to pull it off and I cannot for the life of me figure out how. it lasted for a relatively short period of time on me, ending finally as the faint smell of a man's clean skin in general, not so "area specific", which was nice too.

this was truly an olfactory experience, veering into brilliance as I said, and consequently most amazing. however! still not so sure I'd wear it out on a date! not so sure smelling like balls would be the most enticing smell to a guy on a date with me. it would of course beg the question "what the hell were you doing *just before* our date??" heh.

something else I found noteworthy is that while trying the MKK on the inside of one elbow, for comparison purposes I simultaneously tried frederic malle Musc Ravageur in the other elbow. as I was ready to buy a full size of the MR just a week ago, I was astounded to find that by comparison, the MR was really overly cloying and incense-y, and even clumsy! because in spite of the scent's "subject material", the MKK scent was truly a delicately balanced work of art and the MR was just stumbling & clumsy by comparison. I would never have guessed.

yum. warm clean male skin. :)

16th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th August, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Tam Dao by Diptyque

The slighly green-aromatic and powdery Tam Dao's opening is determined by the dry, woodsy accord of cedar and cypress which is the primarily perceived feel on my skin before the fragrance keeps sliding towards a monodimensional musky, mild, woody aroma enriched by fruity-floral nuances. I agree who with asserts that cedarwood is more prominent than sandalwood (both standing in the middle part of development) at least for a couple of hours after the first spray and i think the nose performer stressed the first of the two in order to enhance a drier type of woody whiff to better balance the mellow softness of the following ambergris and smooth musk standing down the base. Somewhere they list myrtle too. Anyway the sandalwood starts to rise up fresh and woodsy when the dry down is fully settled, the ambery spices is perceivable throughout the journey, over all at the beginning, while the musky, woodsy, resinous base exudes an undertone of ethereal rose with a touch of fruits. This scent conjures me a bit the aroma of an ideal wild cherry pancake consumed under a musky tree of the wet forest at morning. Tam Dao is a well made fragrance and a must try for the sandalwood lovers even if it's not enough classy and bold for my full pleasure. This is a really evocative scent of the nature's beauty.

16th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2014)

DutchSchwag's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Stetson Black by Stetson

Not an essential purchase by any stretch, Stetson Black´s staying power is very limited, a maximum of 3 hours shelf life if you´re lucky. The somewhat synthetic leather and suede blanket the aroma the whole stretch, with a tint of berry-grape that manages to tone down things a bit and certainly can charm but all too quickly seems to fade after the first 20 minutes.
    A nice, affordable alternative to the overpriced Polo and Kenneth Cole Blacks, Stetson certainly hits on the masculine element of what black should embody with this one. Sure, the scent is one-dimensional, a bit sweet, and guilty of using cheaper ingredients, but for a cheap drugstore fragrance this is a decent find and worth throwing into the rotation if not to keep things interesting.
    Agree with Jenson from India, the aftershave is far more wearable. Works well as a splash on more than a feature scent. Stetson deserves credit for bringing the dark and black back into black.

Overall 6.25 (Scent 7.75/Longevity 3.0/Sillage 7.0/Originality-Intangibles 6.5/Value 7.0)

Grottola's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Besides the hefty blast of calone in the opening, Bulgari Aqua goes towards a pleasant "beachy" smell that actually smells like the ocean and saltwater. Don't worry, you won't smell eggs or just stinky saltwater - this is a pleasant, fresh aquatic that is true to the "Aqua" moniker and lasts quite a while for an aquatic. Bulgari Aqua is the best all-around aquatic fragrance that I've tried so far, and women love it too!

Dkmode83's avatar

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Sweet Honeyed Tobacco on top of Pure Malt is what I mainly get. Expected more Vanilla but mostly is Honey and Tobacco as Davidbee said. Overall I do like it for sure, but I definitely think this stuff is better suited for Fall/Winter than spring and summer. Just too thick and heavy for Spring and Summer in my opinion. Dry down is very nice but smells a lot like pure malt right out of the bottle just throw in sweet tobacco. Longevity is solid 6-8 hours on my skin and projects pretty similarly to Pure Malt. Would not recommend blind buying unless you love Pure Malt and are expecting not to wear it til Fall.

Overall Rating 8.5/10

Primrose's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Fleur Défendue / Forbidden Flower by Lolita Lempicka

The Lempicka scents are known for their sweetness as well as their very interesting bottles.

That is where my interest in Fleur Defendue ends. Granted, Fleur Defendue (Forbidden Flower) IS indeed an enjoyable scent. Very light fruity floral, with a subtle blend of woody-esque notes. This is very pleasant but not anything that made me think, "Gotta buy a backup of this."

I see this as something to have in one's wardrobe as a novelty for the gorgeous bottle, which is shaped like an Art Nouveau apple. As for the scent and who will buy this, I see this on the dresser of a young woman or teen among the four other scents she might have.

It is a very light scent and will need many sprays for adequate sillage and longevity.

And as for the atomiser, the sprayer mechanism is rather awkward to use because the apple stem is very small and hard to depress. At least the "L" and "L, Coral Flower" sprayers are broad enough to depress, even if the bottles themselves are unusual to grip. (I prefer the Coral Flower to Forbidden Flower.)

All in all, though not superlative, I give it a thumbs-up rating of the three ratings. In a five star rating system, however, I would give four out of five.

ewabili's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Skai by Comme des Garçons

I bought this 5 years ago, it was my third perfume purchase and I thought it was a surprising yet wearable fragrance, I was really into finding unusual one of kind scents and CDG was a hot house of talent.

Today I got a gift of Chanel N 5 Eau de Toilette. I gave it a try and I was surprised by the familiar aldehydes..wait that smells llike Skai!!! I've heard that Chanel has reformulated both the EDT and EDP so I don't know who inspired whom, but Skai smells warmer and fresher and more hip. Give this perfume at least 30min. to develop. The Aldehydes, coumarin and other synthetics create a plastic flower scent that is quite intriguing. This is not a pretty perfume.