Fragrance Reviews from February 2011

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Halston Man by Halston

Carlos Benaim is the perfumer of the reorchestration and reinterpretation of the splendid powerful Z-14.Aromatic-spicy fragrance- not less not more.
    The incomparable, unique and fascinating Roy Halston was a shimmering,glitzy very creative fashiondesigner in the 70ties.Z-14 (get the original scent!!!!)was a man´s scent: aromatic-leather-spicy powerful and loud-comparable to devin by aramis, yatagan by caron , drakkar noir, azarro etc.These were the times when men smelled like men and not like women( all these aquatic-marine light metrosexual undefinable eaux de toilette)Halston, this really great designer launches 1974 this powerhouse scent Z-14: unique with a recall value- you´d never forget this scent!A crude, dark,vibrant scent!What a bombshell.
    So what has happened?!They have tortured and killed this jewel of a man´s scent and have left a thin,skeleton of a fragrance- this is a disappointment at full length! not less not more-it is unbelievable that they can´t leave their fingers away from the really great original scents of the past!?Why do they have to reninterpretate these scents?What happened to vent vert , monsieur balmain, jolie madame etc.etc. What cruelty- ignorants have destroyed these refined, sublime art works of gods of perfume history- okay if there has to be a reinterpretation then please stick as much as possible to the original f.e. aurelien guichard with baghari for piguet(great work) but if you are all thumbs keep away from it and do not monkey business!!!!!!!!!!! If you like powerhouse fragrances get the original Z-14 - this is really great stuff and Halston will give you a smile!!!!!!!!!!And if you like smoky, dark and really man´s scents-try Knize ten- what a composition!!!!!

laurentiupopa79's avatar

Romania Romania

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Too choky. Girls aged 20-30 hate it.

laurentiupopa79's avatar

Romania Romania

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Classy, but too weak. It fainds away too soon.

Primrose's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

At first spray, L'Air du Desert Morocain gave the impression of Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens without the leather.

There was an acrid note that did not sit well with me in the top notes and I thought, "This is a scrubber." As the scent went into an hour of drydown, however, the vanilla and amber notes emerged. There is a very subtle sweetness to this scent.

Very pleasant with moderate sillage and longevity on my skin.

The price, however, is what gets me. One can easily buy Parfums d'Empire's Ambre Russe for almost half the price. Once the booziness of Ambre Russe dries off, you have something similar to L'Air du Desert Morocain. I even compare the Tauer to the delightful bargain L'Occitane de Provence's Eau des Baux, a wonderful incense vanilla with cypress.

In the end--don't get me wrong--this comes down the subtle personal preferences.

Try them all and then decide.

20th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st February, 2011)

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Queen of Sheba by Perfumer's Guild

Another wonderful scent from Mr Bailey.

The scent consists of a powerful long lasting rose note balanced with frankincense, myrrh, jasmine and oud notes...this is a very sophisticated floral oriental very well blended...although the wearer must allow a few hours for the notes yo reveal themselves...

I imagine myself in the orient surrounded by all of these wonderful notes...

This is a powerful scent with great longevity and sillage so apply with caution...and also a definite feminine scent...

Big thumbs up...!

20th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st February, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Well, an atomic, intoxicating dust of stars with an inebrious splash of licorice based and mentholated liquor, a gourmand base and an undertone of violets. Psychedelic, phosphorescent bleu-violet is the color of the ambience around. This is a "diluted" woody-oriental, a watery "bath foam type" brash gourmand which starts with an interesting anice-absinthe-rum mentholated sparkling accord and gradually, while keeps fading the initial turmoil, ends to become a more common powdery, talky choccolate-vanilla woody bath soap aroma, close to many others out there. Dry woods infuse a bit of basic structure in order to understate the creamy general "unstructured" un-solid consistency of the scent itself. I hardly perceive a rosey touch. The projection and the longevity are almost nuclear.

20th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 June, 2014)

odysseusm's avatar

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Inoffensive and fairly bland citrus-fresh scent. Smooth. Smells like fresh paper and ink, perhaps crisp dollar bills and a bit of cucumber and herbs. A poor man's Bond No. 9 Wall Street, without the quirky charm.

odysseusm's avatar

Coach The Fragrance by Coach

Yes, this is a very girly scent. Young, pretty, sweetish florals. The orange blossom is reasonably well done, gorgeous with a hint of wood and soap. Pleasant for its kind. Amber and vanilla are admirably restrained.

Rumblefish's avatar

I am King by Sean John

Not bad in the least for a light, fruit-focused designer frag. This wasn't for me, but I could see this being a compliment getter for the average joe on the street. No worse than a number of other best-sellers on the Sephora charts. I wouldn't buy a sample, but if I saw a tester at the mall or in between magazine pages, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.

technojinn's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

Heard about it so much around here. Recently got a bottle. Amazing long lasting dark rose scent. I nickname this one the Beast for the east.

Rumblefish's avatar

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

First impression - Incredibly unique gourmand with a rich, creamy cinnamon note that is among the best I've ever sampled. Status: Must Buy.

Second impression - Come to think of it, smells eerily like the dry-down in FM Musc Ravageur; how did I not notice this before? Status: Might Buy.

Third impression - Reminiscent of the sugar dust at the bottom of an almost-empty box of Apple Jacks cereal. Status: Won't Buy.

wilz's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Cheap smelling. A deodorant like Chanel fragrance? You must be kidding me. But that's what it smells like. It's so different from Polge's last two Chanel creations for men: Allure Homme Sport and Allure Homme Edition Blanche. A total disappointment from a perfume house like Chanel.

Bigsly's avatar

Molto Smalto by Francesco Smalto

The opening is a bit much for me. I don't like these Eternity type fragrances (LeRoy de Soleil for men is another), but I was willing to give this one a chance, because of what others have written about the drydown. For me at least, the "trick" is not to spray more than once, a couple inches above the navel. That way, the top notes don't ruin it. The drydown is quite nice, a orange-tinted, soft wood and sandalwood (not powdery). One reason why I give these kinds of fragrances a chance is that because they are older, I hope the ingredients will be of a higher quality than a similar fragrance marketed more recently. I can definitely imagine myself wearing this on a warm (not hot) spring day, especially if I knew I'd be outdoors for a while. Longevity and projection/"sillage" are at least very good.

codeshack's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I first became aware of Kouros a couple of months ago after discovering BN, and I've been wanting to try it ever since. I'd read so much about how it was an all-time classic masterpiece, and/or a foul abomination distilled from the effluvium of Satan's outhouse. I'm intrigued by these "love it or hate it" scents, and with such divided opinions on Kouros, I knew I had to try this stuff... trouble was I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. Until last night, when I discovered a Perfumania outlet store not too far out of town, amongst whose well-stocked shelves was found the revered/reviled Kouros.

I knew what people had said about Kouros, and I was telling myself how good I am at keeping an open mind, and concentrating on what I'm actually smelling instead of what other people say it smells like. But even so, the opening of Kouros undeniably brought to mind the smell of a Porta-Potty™ festering in the full mid-summer sun.

But...

Gilgamesh2003's review is spot on. You wait an hour or two, and the vileness of the opening drops away to reveal Kouros' true nature, and it's a very enjoyable ride of honey and warm spice the rest of the way out.

I'm definitely going to have to give this stuff another chance, and I'll probably end up buying some eventually.

sarıpatates's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Kenzo Pour Homme Boisée / Woody by Kenzo

Redundant, gutless, boring, unworthy of the bottle it's in.
    I guess it could be for "young guys" Jaime mentions.
    Not for this one.

windy75's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

I have used Anteaus for 25 years now and buy a bottle every year. Over the years I have lost count of the compliments I have received from ladies. To this day there isn't a week that goes by without someone commenting, or asking what the fragrance is.

It is not that long ago that I was fortunate to be in the company of a supermodel, who carries the crown of "Britains most beautiful lady". As you may imagine, I was a little star struck and didn't want to approach her for fear of seeming like just another middle aged wannabe. I was actually standing with my back to her talking to someone else when she tapped me on the shoulder and whispered into my ear "What's the aftershave you are wearing? It's a real turn on" As you can imagine, I was more than pleased at the unsolicited comment.

It is an ageless fragrance and I receive comments from ladies across the age range, for 20 ish to 50 ish, with comments such as Mmmm sexy, to sophistacted, high class, real gentleman, horny, gorgeous, lovely, I could eat you, etc etc.

I have a lady friend who I have known for 25 years who still snuggles into my neck to "have her dose of stuart's smell" and has insisted that I never change my fragrance. I'm a bit worried that I have nearly used my current bottle up and don't know whether the reformulated stuff will be too different. I may have to source a lifetimes supply of the vintage stuff.

I will have to get myself a tester to see what the changes are like.

Bonoanimoes's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Blue Jeans by Versace

Versace Blue Jeans,

The 90's are back, with dance music, Beverly Hills, 90210 and Nirvana!
    Love this little fella, rich, deep, masculine and complex, lot's of notes mixed in a blender and something unique came out, currently is possible to buy it really cheap, Good vibe, versatile, young and old crowd, evening wear, good silage, so go easy on the trigger. For the rest just enjoy this beautiful scent!!!
    PS: Blue can is trendy!

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Scents like this are the reason I hold the House of Creed in high esteem, despite their ennervatingly faux history. Baie de Genièvre Feuilles de Canneliers is not as complex as its long full name suggests, but indeed, basically juniper and cinnamon moderately embellished and providing a perfect marriage of nature and culture. In fact, this fragance is the perfect choice for chopping wood in front of your log cabin - dressed in a bespoke tuxedo. But fear not, it also works as a classic barbershop scent, though the quality and the composition take it far beyond run-of-the-mill products of this kind. Impeccable and unique, it conveys a message of style and gentility with no haughtiness or pretension. For once I would thus suggest to proceed with ungentlemanly haste to procure this elixier, before it follows Vintage Tabarôme and so many others in becoming a ghost of fragrance past.

FrouFrou's avatar

Tabu by Dana

Rich, sensual and exotic!
    Rich also in strength! This is nothing like your modern wishy washy flowery artificial fragrances you have to use liberally to get a few hours of staying power and sillage. this is maximum strength and need to be applied molecule by molecule! If I am very careful my man who likes very few perfumes likes it!
    Luckily I am wholly unbiased about Tabu. I don't think it is worn a lot in the Netherlands so I have never sniffed an old lady wearing it. Nor do I know what root beer is so I don't have any of these associations. My first smell was from a vintage bottle I brought on e-bay after reading about Tabu here on basenotes.
    I get a 70s feeling because of the patchouli, but I mostly get a lot of dark mysterious oriental magic!

Now we all know it was supposed to be for a 1920s '''puta'', but I do not see a modern street hooker here.
    I see the 20s Femme Fatale, a dark bobbed beauty, with magnolia white skin and black khol around her sultry eyes, black lace and beaded dress with a deep cleavage and bare back, she lures in the men like a fatally beautiful black orchid, smelling of magic, mystery and luscious erotic sex.
    They are mesmerized.
    They are hers...
    They are lost...
    And then she is gone, and the world will always smell cold and grey...

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I tried this today and I love it!! Awsomely sophisticated and masculine fragrance. Class in a bottle.

USGardener's avatar

Sarawak by Crabtree & Evelyn

Sarawak is a perfect scent for Spring and Summer. Its light, citrusy fragrance is perfect for when you want a scent that does not arrive in a room before you do. Long-lasting but not overpowering.

MOONB's avatar

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

A forgotten '70s drugstore classic, Revlon's Charlie harkens back to the days when women smoked filterless Chesterfields while ironing and watching daytime soap operas. Do any women still do that? Doubtful.

The scent opens with a blaring lemon/orange zest, then quickly transitions into a somewhat spicy and chemical combination of white rose, lily, and half-hearted carnation on a very dry chypre oakmoss foundation. You can smell the florals distinctly between the tang of the opening and the moistureless base because they're decidedly "white" and lack any coherence amidst all the oranges and browns. I suppose that's a minus for Charlie, as a darker rose and more robust carnation might make the scent flow better. But all things considered, Charlie isn't bad, and is not the blobby peach and musk nightmare I find in so many reformulated drugstore feminines. She who remembers her soap opera and pack-a-day Chesterfield habit probably still hold onto this fragrance, but it lacks relevance in today's world for today's women.

kierroo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

One of the biggest disappointments of 2010, the opening is nice enough but after the first 30 seconds just plain boring.

it gives out 1 note for the rest of the projection Birch Leaves.

how dare it ever be compared to the classic boss bottled, which smells better at night even this is made to do so its does not AVOID !

Ginger by Gorilla Perfume

As the other positive reviews state, this is nothing like gingerbread or ginger cake. lt's warm, dry, spicy, aromatic ginger, not the sweet kind. There's just a hint of floral notes to give it a soft sensuality. lt's addictive, has great sillage & longevity, & makes a perfect winter scent.

Paul Smith Rose by Paul Smith

l remember this as a lovely, fresh rose scent. Unfortunately l tried it on the same day as Stella, & Stella won. ;)

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

lntensely sweet oriental. l agree with Suga that this is "rosy but not smelling like a rose". lt's not bad, but it didn't last long on me, & l much prefer Stella for my rose fix.

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

l tried this way back when it was first launched, after falling in love with the bottle. l remember it as having a strongly herbal opening, followed by a spicy, ambery drydown & a creamy vanillic base. lt struck me as very much an eighties power fragrance, in the same vein as Obsession. l wasn't ready for it then, but l would love to try it again. l don't see it around any more, though. Has it been discontinued? l think it would make a very warming fragrance in cold weather.

Uninhibited by Long Lost Perfume

l tried this when it was first launched. l wanted to love it, because the bottle was gorgeous with a jewelled crescent-moon lid, & l was a fan of Cher, being a bit of a rock chick myself. However it was a big disappointment; harsh, chemical, brutal & nasty. The only thing l've smelled that was that bad was the awful Coleen. Discontinued for a very good reason, this was terrible stuff. lf people are paying hundreds of dollars for this, they're obviously bottle collectors; surely they've never smelled it!

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Christopher Sheldrake's Bois de Violette is really Feminitè du Bois in a shroud, tightly wrapped with candied violets and cedar shavings tucked between the folds. It is the most reticent, quietly mournful scent in the Lutens range and shares an outlook similar to that of Iris Silver Mist, but here with laboured breaths and downcast eyes. Shunning the light, its violet-cedar encounter occurs in the shadow of a close leather canopy reminiscent of Guerlain's Nahéma, with the similarly alternating shades and textures of a leather quilt. The violet sweetness is dauntingly heavy at first, but is resisted and eventually overcome by the soberingly dry cedar. And there is cumin too! Sprinkled with abandon, it feels to me like the keystone note of Bois de Violette. In those remarks of Delphic compactness written for each fragrance and appearing on the website, the one for Bois de Violette reads 'An invigorated cedar'; that invigoration is the cumin. And this fragrance is Serge Lutens at its gripping, magical best.

Primrose's avatar

McGraw by Tim McGraw

Most celebrity scents are really vapid commercial attempts to cash in and this may be true. Anyone who IS anyone has released a scent of some sort, many purporting to be "unique" and refined. Most are rather commonplace and lack the "edge" promised in the advertising.

Still, one can find a celebuscent that is interesting and above the ordinary. In the morass of men's popular aquatics, McGraw is a nice change. The bottle has a faux- leather textured top, and the guitar pick them of the box echoes on the bottle bottom.

It is a woody scent. I detect creamy woods, citrus and vanilla. I do not get the advertised whiskey, as a pronounced booziness is absent. This is a nice wearable.

Is this ultra-cutting edge fragrance? No, but it does not deserve to be overlooked. Very affordable and perfect for everyday.

In my 1-10 scale, this rates a 7.