Fragrance Reviews from March 2011

MadameJarrin's avatar
    MadameJarrin

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Any man wearing Drakkar Noir has my undying lust. I love it so much, I've been know to wear it with a men's dress shirt, tie, jeans and sneakers... tomboy sexy.

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Classic Vanilla by Pinaud

Haters of vanilla should have no fear of Pinaud's Classic Vanilla. This is not a sludgy sweet gourmand fragrance at all. This is a classic barbershop fougere with some vanilla added to the coumarin in the base, that's all. The vanilla is restrained and well done in this scent, and it does not interfere with the overall talcum powdery barbershop smell that all Pinauds have. Imagine what the original Clubman would smell like if it were sweeter, and you have Classic Vanilla.

If like Pinaud fragrances, then Classic Vanilla is definitely worth adding to your arsenal.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

LeSniffeux's avatar
    LeSniffeux

Tabacco by Odori

What I really like about Tobacco is it's clearly defined scent. It smells exactly like vanilla-scented pipe tobacco, stored in a leather bag. It's rich and powerful, and a small amount lasts all day. I love it, but only wear it on special occasions, when I'm feeling especially manly.

Bongo for Men by Iconix

Smells like sweet grapefruit with a tinge of lemon and dries down to cedar. A very pleasant gourmand but lacks staying power. If it had staying power I would give it a higher rating. However it was cheap to buy....

Jack's avatar
    Jack

Jimmy Choo by Jimmy Choo

My wife received a sample of this with my creed order and she loves it. I think it smells great also. I think it smells like angel with toffee instead of chocolate. Its lighter than angel, I don’t really think this is a hot weather scent.

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

I have had this cologne for years now and barely used it. I could never understand why until I came to this site and read the comments. New shoe smell is exactly what this reminds me of and the reason why I dont wear it. Its plain and does not establish an identity to me. It also smells like the office, so I cannot get behind this.

TWB's avatar
    TWB

Fiori di Capri by Carthusia

Sampled this from Luckyscent.com for my wife (who loves floral fragrances) and she loved it!.....The initial contact with the skin is not great but after about 5 minutes this fragrance develops into something wonderful...It is slightly similar to Ysatis by Givenchy only MUCH more subdued...Probably due to the prominent Lily of the Valley note. To me this fragrance is femininity exemplified...it has an very innocent/beautiful quality to it...

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

I love this cologne. Its sharp lavender/citrus smell that comes at you with a woodsy drydown. I get compliments from women and men when wearing this, so its pleasant.

A note of caution as others have mentioned, do not over apply this cologne. Finally its a very linear scent so it loses points for that. However I still recommend it.

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

Let us examine two version of aldehydes VC&A First &
    Chanel no 5 VC&A First has a harsh Aldehyaic opening
    synthitic and volumed then chanel with it's more discreet and diluted silage In a few minutes V.C
    turns to a soft floral scent with accords of black
    current raspberry that leaves a sparkling texture
    Chanel dries with neroli the note of bergamot dos'nt
    overwhelm but still defind the senses ylang ylang
    brings the velvety feel of no 5 orris root gives it
    an earthy touch, V.C Is Chanel for the 80's a bit
    Multi layered then Chanel no 5, A fruiter and outgoing sister aldehyde to Chanel which is reserved
    and refind V.C and Chanel has the same Civet note
    but Chanel adds a richer and deeper note of civet
    then V.C.

Chanel exemplifies the grounded and pragmatic view of femininity while V.C is the Airy more romantic head in the clouds view.

Gucci by Gucci Sport Pour Homme by Gucci

A rather blah scent -- not terrible, not innovative, not distinctive, not interesting.
    Fresh and green. Big hit of fig up front but that doesn't last. Fleeting coniferous note that is really brief.
    Then, simply an inoffensive watery-aquatic style.
    At least it is not heavy, sweet, or wretchedly synthetic.

Big Pony 3 by Ralph Lauren

Well, the bottle was green so I thought I'd give it a try. An extremely bland, synthetic scent with a main note of freshly-laundered sheets in a sunny breeze. Not much green here, not much more that what I've described. The cool mint note gets tiresome after a while.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Great smell. Very versatile.

Smells like a metallic grass that dries down to a floral musky scent. Can be used for any time of the year and for almost any occasion. Kids stay away I say.

man114's avatar
    man114

FCUK Him by French Connection

Found a bottle of this that I'd never worn, after noticing some horrible reviews I put a sprtiz on my wrist. Then eventually decided to wear it to work. The initial blast of this is awful. It smells not unlike bugspray. Harsh, green, fruity I'm sure this turns off a lot of people. I'm sure it sparked a lot of the bad reviews.

If you can tolerate it for a couple of minutes the middle and drydown isn't too horrible at all, actually I find it rather pleasant. A little of the green peppercorns is still noticable, some tea leaves, vanilla and a bit of woods. I don't notice the patchouli in the drydown at all and I'm approaching 9 hours when its approaching its last legs and is mostly a skin scent.

A lot of fragrances are known for their drydown. Usually the top notes are tolerable. I don't think I can get used to these here, the top notes are just like bugspray. Too green, too sweet and too off putting. I enjoy the drydown but the most this will ever earn in my book is a neutral due to the top notes. I think many reviews have been harsh, you really have to ignore the top even if you hate it. If you go washing it off you won't notice the whole progression. IMHO it is one of the most fascinating switches from almost intolerable to fairly good in its progression in anything I've sampled.

It isn't expensive. After 10-20 minutes or so it isn't bad either. Once the top wears off it is fairly benign, kind of reminds me of a less sweet Stetson Black thereafter with a little bit of crispness to balance the mix so it doesn't become overly sweet and cloying. If you want something from FCUK the original Unisex stuff was a million times better balanced (and IMHO is a manly scent regardless of how it was marketed). At $15 if you make it past 10 minutes you're left with a decent scent, but it never is anything you'd consider a masterpiece. I don't see anything powdery about the top notes but to each their own. Those complaining about green smelling are more on the money there are too many things that can smell green up front IMHO. Longevity is a matter of skin chemistry. I got a good three hours out of it before it started to fade, at about 6 it was almost totally a skin scent. I didn't use much due to the top notes, but perhaps better longevity could have been achieved through greater application.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

I've only done one dab-to-the-wrist sampling. For the first couple of hours, it seemed quite similar to Polo Modern Reserve, then it took a sharp turn towards the smooth and sweet, like amber had come to the for, with some patchouli too. I guess that would be the reason to pay the current prices for it, because if you just want that first two hours, then either Polo or Modern Reserve would be better, because they last longer with that kind of scent. I like this, but I don't know if it's a "must have." Longevity and projection/"sillage" are at least very good, it seems.

Gilgamesh2003's avatar
    Gilgamesh2003

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Take Azzaro Pour Homme, edit out the soapiness and any trace of sweetness, add a gallon of patchouli and a generous shake of Italian herbs and you get Tuscany per Uomo.

Fortunately this is great juice - the patchouli is rough and tarry, the geranium is crisp, bitter and green, and the whole structure holds together beautifully. I don't ordinarily much care for patchouli, but I love it here.

Dazzlingly natural, readily available and cheap - there must be some mistake. It's an extremely simple fragrance, as the note pyramid suggests, but it really doesn't need anything more.

bokaba's avatar
    bokaba

Eau de Fleurs d'Oranger du Roi by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

Notes: Bitter Orange, Lemon, Italian Neroli, French Orange Blossom Absolute, Orange Flower Water, Ambergis, Petitgrain

This is the true essence of the orange blossom and neroli. The opening is is crisp and floral and tad indolic and woody from the neroli and petitgrain. It is neither too sweet nor two dry nor are the florals to cloying. The heart is warm and floral and the base light and natural spruced up with ambergris. Surely short lived with minimal sillage, but who could expect more from an all natural concoction? Eau de Fleurs d'Oranger de Roi is fitting of its name and truly one of the most wonderful fragrances I own. This is from Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's "Perfumed Court" line heralding the natural perfumery of King Louis XV's court. Fleurs d'Oranger du Roi certainly does evoke his court and all of its pomp. I certainly do hope to try more of the Perfumed court series. Even now, if you listen closely, you'll still hear Louis' billowing blue and white silk robes blowing gently in warm summer breeze at Versailles.

Primrose's avatar
    Primrose

Arôme 3 by D'Orsay

I enjoy the lavender in Arome Trois, but also the subtle blending of notes in the middle: the ylang-ylang and the jasmine.

As OdysseusM observes, this is a very clean scent, and very much a "white shirt" scent. This would be perfect for a work environment.

On me, the longevity is good and the sillage is perfect--this is not going to clear a room with its scent.

The fragrance was released in 1943 amid a huge advertising campaign hyping up the "history" of the perfume house in a very well-presented, fashionably illustrated booklet, which included the "history" of Etiquette Bleue. (The house was founded in 1908, but claims 1830. See Nigel Groom's "Perfume Handbook," and Leach's "Perfume Presentations" for more on the house's history. The Comte d'Orsay was not really a perfumer, yet the house used this as a romantic marketing spin.)

This is a marvelous unisex scent that can be worn by both men and women, and a must-try scent.

Primrose's avatar
    Primrose

La Petite Robe Noire (original) by Guerlain

At first sniff, LPRN strikes one as a very girly scent aimed at the under-30 female market--a boutique version of Vera Wang Princess even down to the violet/lavender-coloured juice. The vintage-inspired bottle has a cartoonish image of a puffed-sleeve "little black dress," the staple of female fashion elegance since the time of Coco Chanel. As the scent dries down, make no mistake, this is a Guerlain.

It is complex. The top notes start with berries and rose, but the tea and licorice start to assert themselves.

No simple fruity floral is this. The complexity is wonderful to experience, and this scent can be worn by women of all ages. Go beyond the first sniff to experience the whole.

cformosa4's avatar
    cformosa4

Lacoste Eau de Sport by Lacoste

I have been searching for a bottle of this FOREVER! I would die for a decant if anyone has it.. i will pay biggggg for it. dying to smell it.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar
    Oh_Hedgehog

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

There are not all that many heliotrope-themed fragrances around and so a comparison with the inaugural one, Après L'Ondée, feels unavoidable. However, L'Eau d'Hiver is no simple imitation: it is muskier, its jasmine is far more indolic (though as part of a quieter floral section overall), and L'Eau d'Hiver has a completely different consistency to Après L'Ondée, even if they do share the same palette of dove-like hues. L'Eau d'Hiver feels and smells increasingly like a pale honey as it dries down, threatening to obscure its almond cadences completely. It is not at all unpleasant, this musky nectar. But the problem with L'Eau d'Hiver – which feels like it has taken its ghostly Guerlain predecessor as a sort of negative guide – is that it has the strong whiff of artificiality about it and its notes feel unnaturally prolonged, especially when compared to Ellena's evanescent, entirely natural smelling, Angéliques Sous La Pluie. This, unfortunately, smells a little plasticky.

Avon Musk for Men by Avon

I absolutely love this musk. I haven't tried Kiehl's but I do prefer Avon to the very excellent Jovan musk. to me it's altogether warmer and I like the slightly piney accords that have been pointed out in other reviews.

As you can pick up Avon musk for such ridiculously low prices (as with a lot of excellent Avon products), I think it's an absolute steal!

My_pep_pep's avatar
    My_pep_pep

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I left Polo behind many years ago, but still have a bottle and I was amazed recently when I decided to try it on again and realized how great it is, and that I still love it!

Polo is probably the first cologne I ever wore unless you count those little solid perfumes in plastic ducks and frogs, from Avon I think, that I used to play with. I do not pick out any notes in Polo beyond "green". I don't smell rose, patchouli, pine, or anything else. I would happily walk around smelling like a Christmas tree all day long but that's not what Polo is about. It's a deep green gem with many facets, a little strong in throw for my taste, but I will be wearing it anyway, in certain settings. It makes me feel well-dressed, even though I don't spend a lot of money on clothes. I am almost 40 so I don't blame younger guys for not liking this, it probably does remind them of their dads or grandfathers. Works for me, though.

Hardon Cologne by Hardon Gear

I have no idea what this smells like, neither do I care. Utter nonsense!

tjayuk's avatar
    tjayuk

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

Im pretty sure D&G dont make this anymore as its difficult to find it anywhere to buy. I used to wear it 5 or 6 years ago when I was 20 - 21 and its definately a younger scent.

I have managed to buy a bottle from amazon recently and whilst the scent doesnt grab me as much as it did a few years ago it reminds me of some fantastic summers in europe so I still enjoy wearing it now and then.

The scent is definately a very summer smell with very strong citrus tones to start off with. Infact they are almost too strong and it smells like a lemon air freshener which probably puts some people off this fragrance. However if you bear with it and give it 30 mins to dry and tone down there is a lot going on and the woody masculine musk tones come through.

Whilst im wearing this today for nostalgia i cant see me using the rest of the bottle until the summer is here and im off to the greek islands again!

Beau Brummel's avatar
    Beau Brummel
    Brazil Brazil

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

My opinion? This is horrendous. Top notes are medicinal and base notes are cloying and dangerously similar to the equally unpleasant Kouros, except sweeter (and this is not a compliment). Try this one if you wanna smell offensive and cheesy.

Bijan Black for Men by Bijan

Nothing groundbreaking and not especially 'black', but I actually find this quite pleasant to wear. I usually gravitate towards power scents and fragrances with real punch, but sometimes it's nice to strap on something a little more subtle and this fits the bill quite nicely.

I can't possibly give a thumbs up to any frag I would describe as 'nice' and ''pleasant' but this is certainly not offensive and may actually grow on me over time.

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

G7 Bold by Gap

A fresh, clean minty citrus-musk fragrance sort of like Jake by Hollister. Nothing special, but pleasant nonetheless.

Dorian Gray's avatar
    Dorian Gray

Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man by Byredo

I do really like this, but along with Montale's Red Vetiver, I find it too similar to Terre d'Hermes to justify owning a bottle. That said, I bought it anyway! Its a more citrusy Terre designed as a trad cologne ( with 10x the staying power I hasten to add ) while R V is a bit deeper and richer

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

Carded vial information adds the following notes: bergamot, orange, vetiver.

I like the original AdP Colonia, but I like this even better. It retains the gorgeous orange-blossom and citrus notes. It loses much of the sweet and powdery notes. It clears up the floral notes -- they are less dense, more focused and fresher. Cleaner, leaner, keener.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar
    Oh_Hedgehog

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

A bracing tonic for whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul. Sel de Vetiver is the smell of sea air rather than the sea itself, which is better represented in Heeley's more briny Sel Marin.

Celine Ellena's rendition launches with a vibrant grapefruit, the glitter of sunlight sprinkled on a heaving ocean, and is joined by a trace of cardamom that, combined with the smoky vetiver, take it ever so briefly into the territory of Duchaufour's Timbuktu. Like myself on the sea the fragrance then turns distinctly green, with a hardy vetiver and a geranium of peppermint-like freshness. The two notes in ascendancy throughout this development are iris and, especially, lovage. The latter, a very clever addition which smells like a cross between celery and fennel with a salty aspect, forms a neat bridge between the ocean and the coastal forest that Sel de Vetiver treads (and, pleasingly apt for a fragrance as parched and salt crystal laden as this, lovage is known for its aquaretic qualities).

One of the best around, the smoky, salty, floral Sel de Vetiver is doing something new whilst also holding its own with rival vetivers from the houses of Givenchy, Chanel, Malle, and Guerlain.