Fragrance Reviews from March 2011

Pamplemousse's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I put this on today, just from a sampler, just to put something different on. I know what it smells like, so I wasn't particularly happy or unhappy about it.

Roll on an hour or so, I'm at work and my brain is in goldfish mode:
    "Mmm, what's that nice smell?"
    "Oh yeah, it's the Fahrenheit"

Five minutes later:
    "Ooh, what's that?"
    "That'll be the Fahrenheit"

And further on:

"Hmm, I can smell something interesting"
    "Fahrenheit, dude"

You get the picture.

I've reflected on this further, and my thoughts are thus: I have a LOT of samples, and spend much of my time wearing them being distinctly underwhelmed, wanting to enjoy them more. But then, my first real introduction to this hobby was a bottle of Habit Rouge, so that's a big ask, right?

Anyway, Fahrenheit is a perfect example of why people like this hobby. It's so distinctive, and interesting, it's just like BOOM, why am I trying to see the good points in my other samples, when stuff like this is possible? Like it or not (and, weirdly, it hasn't become my favourite smell or anything, but it really it just so interesting), this is undeniably landmark stuff. We need more like it.

x-man's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Reading posts about daring buys in leather jackets, rebels without cause who would wear this scent.

It is incredible what clever marketing can do.

You see, this is almost exactly the same as the Cussons Imperial Leather, a scent originating from 18th century when it was chosen to be the perfume of the Russian Court.

The rendition of this famous scent by Juicy Couture called Dirty English is really, really good. I love it.

MOONB's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

Maybe I'm just in a good mood today, but despite all the information suggesting an opposite outcome, I'm oddly drawn to Himalaya. I find the comparisons to Paco Rabanne XS hard to believe, not to the credibility of other reviewers, but because the only fragrance that seems related to it is Quorum by Antonio Puig. For a perfume that is written off as "nothing remarkable", "not ground-breaking", and "forgettable", there's a heck of a lot going on here. Lurking beneath the prominent notes of cedar, pink pepper, sandalwood, and ambergris, are components that, taken together, comprise the mythical "gunpowder note" at Himalaya's core. I perceive this note as being not just one, but several elements - namely cyclamen aldehyde, which tints the fragrance into a shade of green, carnation, which introduces a rich sweetness, and pine, exhibited here in such a small dose as to make its presence seem ghost-like and smoky. This accord, in conjunction with the typical creamy Creed sandalwood, creates a scent that conjures imagery of Buddhist temples, incense-sweetened pews, and fresh breezes through cut flowers. It occurs to me that Olivier's interpretation of a Himalayan climb may rest more in the remote temples of Burma and Nepal, and less in the fresh snowy icecaps they're nestled in. As time passes, the integration of Himalaya's notes intensifies, and mellows into a very mild and mellow pepper, carnation, sandalwood, and ambergris. This fragrance is very understated, mature, introspective. I like it. Longevity is around 3 hours, with 2 of them strictly skin-scent. Application to fabric enhances that a little. Sillage is modest, and this requires intimacy to be fully appreciated. Here is perhaps where Himalaya falls short - it is pleasant and well-made, but not what I would consider a sexy, come-hither scent. Be that as it may, it's something worth checking out.

x-man's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Eau de Sisley 1 by Sisley

This reminds me of Diorella. However, the original by Dior has more prominent yasmin than Sisley. Both scents are very similar in its execution - yasmin added totraditional cologne. Really good stuff stylish and timeless. Too bad it is not more original.

MarshallLaw's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I was a very young boy when this came out on the market, maybe 13 years old. All I knew was Chanel made Coco, which my mom wore. I was very curious. This was my first fragrance and now I am knee deep in niche parfums!!! All that aside, I am happy to see Chanel.com still sells this online. I would rather buy it from the source. While I did try looking at various Chanel stores, they only sell it on the Internet. Back to my story...I was gifted Egoiste by my mother. I loved the commercials and wanted to know what fragrance was all about. Seeing it was my first, I didn't know about notes or different terms. I thought all EDTs were that sweet. While it must have been strange for anyone sitting by me at Phantom of the Opera or Les Miz, I felt empowered. I pulled out my old bottle yesterday. It took me back. This was my first scent and I wouldn't change that for the world. It's not a matter of being young and not knowing...it's about the journey. Egoiste will always move me. This is my favorite fragrance commercial to date!

16 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2011)

Charlottesmom's avatar

Amarige by Givenchy

I sniffed this in Macy's one day and instantly fell in love, I didn't spray any as I knew I had seen it at Sephora so I went to Sephora and asked for a sample....I already had 4 perfumes tried on that day so I had no other place to sample it.

I unfortunatly tried it on right before bed and didn't realize it was quite so powerful! I only sprayed on spritz on my wrist and got into bed my husband started complaining about and awful smell....well that smell was me so I got out of bed and showered. My husband can stand Amarige if I apply it lightly (I tolerate it better if applied lightly too!) though Amarige will never be a favorite of his on me....that will always belong to Pink Sugar.

I have the book Perfumes The Guide and get a chuckle out of Luca's review.....he states in part that Amarige is perceptable in parts per billion! I do agree with him, this is powerful stuff!

My son had the day off school today so we went on a sniffing adventure and while in Macy's I once again happened upon Amarige and just had to sniff the bottle.....Yuuuuuuuuum!!!! Funny because I'm an Oriental freak and usuakly HATE florals...Amarige is about as floral as you can get but is truely likable on me. One day I may invest in a small bottle (I still have some of my sample) as I know it will last forever due to my applying in only miniscule dabs...I spray one spray on a Q-tip then dab on to my wrists. :0)

16 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2011)

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Chic Shaik Arabia No. 70 pour Homme by Shaik

A nauseating sweet'n'spicy syrup. Take any of the more cloying Amouages and remove the whatever finesse there is in it, and this is what you get.

16 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 April, 2011)

rain///man's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

A very complex fragrance that is definitely not for everyone. Especially, not for the fresh water crowd.

It is intended for very mature individuals, and that does not mean maturity as in age, the two are mutually exclusive. To me, it is exuberant of confidence, someone who has their head screwed on right, could be anyone from 15 to 50.

Most people say they get Tobacco in the background, I get it almost as much as the vetiver it self, it adds a dense smoky and warm blend to the freshness of the Vetiver Just an incredible blend, at least on my skin.

16 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 May, 2011)

ladymorrigan's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

APOM pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

woow this has indeed something eastern! i have a sample of apom and i will use this
    asap, to me it could be a nice fume for going somewhere like a party or maybe a date.
    It has something that make's me want to sniff my wrist all day.
    Love at first sniff, my HG!

This is the most perfect orangeblossom i sniffed so far, it beated Micallefs Floral

16 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st June, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Horizon by Guy Laroche

Wonderful hybrid, on one side aquatic and on the other side green-aromatic. Meditative and introspective its temperament is so different from the brash one expressed by the cousin Drakkar Noir. I figure inside a moody, solitary man observing till the horizon line the immense blu ocean. This fellow is calm and owns a solid spiritual and oriental wisdom. This fragrance is sharp, herbaceous, mentholated and salty-marine with a pronounced peppery note. For the first hour you can inhale a blast made of citruses, herbs, fruits, needles of conifers, dry fruits and astringent flowers (geranium, carnation and cyclamen). In this phase the mint is very prominent and a mentholated lavender amalgamates all the ingredients in a traditional, masculine  way, aromatic and bracing. In this phase are detectable the fruity touch of mandarine and the airy, watery effect of the caraway. The latter, as flanked by flowers, infuses sophistication to the juice. The dry down is manly and more structured than a common aquatic base and is mossy, woody with addition of amber and leather and the insertion of a bold patchouli in order to enhance the charismatic moody trait. At this point the fragrance appears more woody and green than usual for the ozone-marine "ordinary" concoctions but still manages to preserve that mysterious enigma of the oceanic depths. This is a deep and humid concoction that becomes finally soapy as a dynamic but melancholic, virile, a bit sporty creation. The bottle is one of the best ever issued, longevity and sillage are in the average.

16 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2014)

SirScent's avatar

Corduroy by Zirh

Having worn the original Zihr fragrance for years I thought I'd check this out.
    Although the original Zihr is fruity and fresh and casual this has no similarities.
    It's nice that a fragrance company makes a scent that is completely different from it's flagship frag.
    Corduroy is formal and rich.
    Initial spray reminds me of Armani Black Code but Corduroy soon comes into it's own as an elegant fragrance . Woods and Rum make nice partners in this pleasantly surprising scent.
    I find the name evoking casual affair but this IMO is more formal.
    Excellent longevity, nice silage.

ArthurFerreira's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Vetiver by Guerlain

A classic, a masterpiece on choice of notes and chords that support harmonically the best smell of vetiver. Male, consistent, deep and very elegant, has good sillage and impressive longevity of more than 18 hours.

ArthurFerreira's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Chrome Sport by Azzaro

Wow, what great surprise. IMO It's the best of Azzaro Chrome line and the best aquatic fragrance of all. Why? This excelent EDT is very refreshing, has a rich aroma and an incredible 24 hours of longevity. Very consistent. How they did this? And you still smell the top notes in the base, in the next day.

fitch256's avatar

Cooper Square by Bond No. 9

Am I the only one who gets a bit of violet in here? I agree with the comment that this seems like a slightly improved version of a generic "man" fragrance. Certainly masculine, the myrrh note is nice, but nothing about this stood out to me. Projection was awful, and longevity was average, really a skin scent on me. If this cost $30-40 I'd consider a purchase, but no chance at it's retail price.

fitch256's avatar

West Side by Bond No. 9

The best I've encountered from the Bond house. A wine-y floral mix with a very well done vanilla that reveals itself after about half an hour or so. Definitely not too sweet, or too floral. Incredibly versatile, pleasant enough for the office, elegant enough for a formal event, romantic enough for a date. Projection is very good but not overpowering, longevity is top notch, 10 hours easy. Definitely recommended for those who like the notes, worth paying a good sum of money for a bottle.

shamu1's avatar

Zizanie by Fragonard

Holy cow, this is one of the muskiest fragrances I have ever smelled. There's a gamey, animalic musk all over Zizanie, along with some jasmine for even more raunchiness. Zizanie comes from the Royal Copenhagen, Stetson and Black Suede school of men's fragrances - a floral oriental - and probably was the main inspiration for those, since it came out long before them.

I don't find Zizanie to be as powdery as everyone else describes it. Maybe that's because I have the eau de cologne version, I don't know. What I do know is that this is some pretty strong, old school stuff, and I like it. If you've worn Royal Copenhagen, you'll have some idea of what this is like, though it's less powdery, more animalic, and more aromatic than RC. There's lots of patchouli in this, which also prevents this from turning into some dandified powder pouf.

I like how this exudes silvery-haired class. If you want to smell like old-guard manliness, Zizanie is right up your alley.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

michailG's avatar

Monsieur Eau du Matin by Jean Paul Gaultier

If indeed its poor longevity is due to good quality natural essential oils as L' Aventurier suggests then I am glad I went for a bottle of Eau du Matin ... I first tried it when it was launched and I liked it but I wasn't convinced because of ... its poor longevity... at that time I already liked more TM Eau de Cologne. Recently however when I rediscovered Eau du Matin, it's subtlety won me over and now I enjoy wearing it very much. I use it as a body mist after shower and ... I am not stingy during application. This may explain why on my skin Eau du Matin lasts for quite a few hours ... very close to my skin though. This would normally somewhat bother me, however, with this one I don't mind... yet! I am sure though that these 100ml will not last me more than a couple of months... so I better slow down!

shamu1's avatar

Cèdre bleu / Blue Cedar by Yves Rocher

The name "Cedre Bleu" must refer to the blue cedar tree, because there is nothing even remotely sporty or "blue" smelling about this fragrance. There's also nothing particularly great about it either. It's a basic woody cedar fragrance, thickened and warmed up with sweet amber in the base notes. Thankfully I don't find the amber overly sweet, at least not enough to cancel out this scent's overall woody smell.

I give this a neutral rating because even though it smells good, it's boring. It's just a woody scent that's sort of sweet and dark smelling, and that's about it. It's not the kind of fragrance I'd pick as my scent of the day, mostly because it doesn't have great longevity. It lasts about five hours for me.

Regarding the "feminine" designation, I have a hard time imagining this as a feminine fragrance, because it smells more like a typical woody oriental masculine scent to me.

It's nothing to write home about, but for the low price it gets, it's worth a sniff.

MY RATING: 6.5/10

silentrich's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Was looking for something with a tea note that wasn't unisex. I get alot of floral notes from this and I really enjoy the tea note. I absolutely love Issey Miyake (original) and this was the first thing that came to my mind on the first spray. Sillage was excellent and longevity was average. Overall I'm really pleased I bought this and would recommend it to be a must buy for anyone that likes Issey Miyake or for that matter people that don't like Issey Miyake because of the potency. Awesome summer fragrance!

silentrich's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I thought I would buy a bottle of this just to see if I could remember the smell from 20 years ago. My God it's God awful! Stanky as stankycan be. I'm not going to give it a negative because it does such a fantastic job of being well...stanky.

JaimeB's avatar

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

Hmm... not really a fougère (no coumarin) and not really a chypre (too much lavender), this is a strange beast. But strange, for me at least, is not always bad. The herbal spiciness in the middle notes and the woody oriental feel in the base notes makes this an interesting play on contrasts. Having said that, I think the balance among all the elements is what makes it work. It wants to say "aromatic fougère," but then it stops and contradicts itself, and says instead, "I'm my own animal." Frankly, this isn't something I wear a lot, but when I tire of fragrances that more or less play by the classical rules, I may turn to this with solid confidence that at least I'll smell good.

The_Cologneist's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Not only is sillage and longevity universally horrible, the smell itself is very very overrated. There's a Playboy fragrance that smells similar to this, I believe it's Playboy Hollywood, it has that sweet vanilla, and amber thing going on, and it ends up smelling sort of like root beer. I get the same vibe with The One. The only big difference is that The One is a little more complex. In the opening I get the creamy vanilla, some spice and orange blossom, the middle is pretty much the same as the opening, just more subtle, the base then adds some leather and woods. I don't really get the tobacco in this, I do get leather though.

My skin tends to hold fragrances really well, and to be honest, The One can last up to 8 or even 10 hours for me.. but I won't notice it the entire time, it sinks so deep into the skin that it becomes virtually useless, but throughout the day, if I go to smell my arm or hand or wherever I sprayed it, I will get some of the vanilla, amber, leather, and woods from the base, but very very very light. This fragrance has life for about 2-4 hours, give or take, and let me be one to go against the Youtube reviewers who seem to rave about this, and tell you that it's very generic, and hardly unique.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

I initially gave up on this one and wrote it off.

Revisiting it, I find it much better. I admit to being crazy about pepper but iso e super is kind of a touchy thing-- many of my favorite scents have an overdose of it, but I think too often, it's used to try to make something out of nothing.

I think I get this scent now. It's a musky, savory skin scent-- almost salty. It's not extremely loud in the sillage department, but oh what it does on skin! When you spray this on your arm and let it settle into your skin, it's like the steam rising off a fresh, hot, buttermilk biscuit. Sounds weird but it's true. Bang makes me think of a crossroads of two different Comme des Garçons fragrances; Harissa and Ourzazate.

I was and am a huge fan of Ralph Lauren's wonderful, discontinued Black Pepper tour de force, Extreme Polo Sport. Bang is the closest thing I've smelled that captures what is so attractive about pepper notes.

If you want to understand the appeal of Bang, you really have to spend some time with it and get used to the way melds with your skin and infuses it with a nice musky quality that is almost edible.

I'd really love to see an EDP of Bang.

tjayuk's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

I was reluctant to buy this scent as a few people said it smelt like an old man (Im 27)

Personally i completely disagree with them, i argued they are just used to the fresh aquatic smells made for our age group and are too scared to try something a bit different!

Well Im glad i didnt listen to them, I love this scent. It literally is BANG pure pepper upon first spray but i love the drydown on my skin, I get a lovely woody, musky pepper smell that lasts a long time. When I first wore it I couldnt stop smelling myself.

The smell does seem to stay very close to my skin so I would rate it down on projection, I haven't really had many people comment on it so its obviously not intrusive. Not an office smell, its made for the evening or a winters day.

I love it and am happy to wear something different to all my friends!

eo02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

This is a tough one to describe. Looking at its notes you might think your nose would be assaulted from all directions. It turns out to be a quiet fragrance with an amber or ambergris dominance. I usually associate that smell with warmth but this slightly cool but still sweet. Very nice scent but not distinctive enough for me to buy. This one has the widest differential between sillage(poor) and longevity(excellent) that I have ever put on.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

Oud Cuir d'Arabie lunges out brutally in a haze of chemical confusion whose oiliness and smoke evoke steaming tar. It leaves the bottle as an abusive Niagara of gloved punches to the nose.

Regain yourself and a more recognizable leather emerges that is dark and weather-beaten, tottering close to an antiseptic character, with an intensifying oud note. The fragrance hits its stride after an hour as a brooding leather with a little softness afforded by the oud and a gently expanding ambience of rose. Undoubtedly a Montale here.

While magnificently butch for its first three hours, Oud Cuir d’Arabie retreats as a light and delicately musky floral. I would have loved it to end where Guerlain's Nahema begins, but instead it dwindles to a simple, hushed conclusion. Originally I found it undramatic, anticlimactic even, but I’ve reconciled myself to it as an outstanding leather that tapers to a comely rose aura – a masterpiece that begins as furrowed hide and ends as pampered skin.

Cashmere for Men by Cristiano Fissore

First of all, this is a beautiful scent. Fissore also makes one for women and a 3rd scent which is supposed to be unisex. I have not smelled either but this one could easily be worn by either sex. It is a good marriage of opposites. It's sweet but not cloying....rather upright. It's light but has thickness too it. It is aptly named because cashmere wool is thin but warm.
    The notes listed are: bergamot, rose bay, elemi, ginger, cedar, cashmere wood, guaiac wood, teak wood, vetiver, patchouli, amber, white musk.
    I did not get any cedar or ginger or vetiver or bergamot or patchouli. This may well be more an indictment of me than the fragrance! I have no idea of what cashmere wood is or smells like, but maybe it is weaving its magic here. Sillage is a little weak but longevity is solid. Will own this one.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

An unabashed rose in saturated colours. The bitter verdancy of crushed leaves lead like a stem to a flower as big as a pair of hands, of lemon-zing freshness, married to a deep, tart blackcurrant note. It's a luscious, inedible jam-like concoction. In time, the green notes mellow, that moist jam-like quality dries out, and a pine note emerges in the heart (occasionally threatening a detour into potpourri territory). As perfume names go, L'Ombre dans L'Eau is lovely, but ill-fitting here: this rose is lit evenly from above by a health-giving sun and the scent is robust, effulgent, and unfalteringly optimistic.

Visit by Azzaro

Cedar and Pepper are evident here. Decent longevity.
    Was surprised that one reviewer noted compliments from the ladies.
    I have received my shares of a approval on what I had on, but this one owns the distinction of never ever garnering even the slightest notice.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Cara by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL FRAGRANCE. APPLY, LIBERALLY AND DON'T FEAR, AND IT WILL COME BACK TO PLEASE YOU ALL THROUGH THE DAY. THIS IS A GREAT ONE!