Fragrance Reviews from March 2011

Pi by Givenchy

This is my first negative review and deservingly so. I cannot simply describe how awful this fragrance(?) smells. Vanilla is one note that is so temperamental and I understand that. And so I decided to give it some time. I gave time to Le Male and it turned out to be a good fragrance in the end. But Pi smells the same even 4 months after. I feel sorry for my brother who bought full bottle of it blind. I would prefer my body odor instead of this. Givenchy is a great house with a lot of winners under its name. Sadly, this is an exception.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

I do not get the pineapple opening at all, a fruity opening yes, but pineapple?, no way.
    The pyramid here is obvioously incomplete, right at the opening the bitter herbal artemisia makes a strong appearance that lasts all the way to the heart, not as strong as the artemisia in Sashka Black, but probably the second strongest artemisia perfume in my book, and artemisia been my favorite note, I do not complain. Hints of patchouli are detected at the opening and it becomes stronger and stronger as the perfume develops.
    At the heart, pine comes to the forefront, pine and artemisia would knock your socks off, but it is masterly balanced with a strong, sweet honey note wonderfully escorted by flowery rose, jasmine and lilly of the valley and a more agressive patchouli. At drydown it becomes powdery and woodier and definitely a patchouli dominated fragrance.
    This is IMO a herbal/grassy scent in which artemisia gets it going, pine plays a nice supporting role, and patchouli does the grand finale going from a fruity opening to a sweet floral heart to end in a sweet woody drydown (sandalwood, cedar, oakmoss sweetened with amber, musk and coumarin) with a dominant patchouli note beautifully backed by tobacco flower.
    If this is not a masterpiece, I do not know what a masterpiece is. It is perfectly balanced perfume, it is a play in the herbaceous theme accompanied by a symphony of notes that keeps changing throughout the whole composition.
    I do not have enough thumbs to give credit to this beauty, so 2 thumbs up is all it gets.

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

If you're gonna jump into the pool, it might as well be a Japanese pond that Kenzo ph tries to evoke. And it does with some success. Smells like nothing else out there too. Kenzo ph is a fresh and spicy frag that avoids the usual aquatic cliches by using oak moss, sage, and cloves to surround the infamous calone note. Pleasant and calming, puts me in the mood for sushi, geishas and kimonos. Won't change your world but it will make it more pleasant.

Kenzo pour Homme Fresh by Kenzo

Basically, it's the same juice as Kenzo ph but with more citrus up top. Recommended.

Kenzoair by Kenzo

Like most Kenzo men's frags, this one is a quiet, minimalist creation. The opening of anise moves towards a heart of peppery, vetiver and a lightly sweetened base of amber. There's a great angelica note that tames both the vetiver and anise. Similar to Etro's Vetiver but not as edgy and much smoother. Hard to believe that Roucel had a hand in this one.

The bottle/case is superb, a work of modern art. Will surely stand out in your collection. Worth the price for the bottle alone.

silentrich's avatar

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

Here's the note pyramid for this one. Top Notes: Lime, Lavender, Mardarin Orange, Mint, and Grapefruit. Heart: Nutmeg, Cypress, Cinnamon, Tarragon, and Geranium. Base: Leather, Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Musk, and Guaiac Wood. Out of these I mainly smell the leather and musk. I don't get anything but lavender in the opening. There are hints of the other notes but besides the ones I've mentioned cinnamon seems to stand out. Really nice fragrance and you could do a lot worse and spend 5 times the money. Giving this one a B.

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

Let's call this one strange. An epic strangeness. From the bottle (wavy tiger stripes and Mohican brush on top) to the juice inside, this may be the oddest men's designer frag still in production. Sour lime meets sharp cardamon and nutmeg to produce one obnoxious accord. As it matures into the base of guaic wood and amber, it gets more bearable and wearable. But the first few hours are simply intolerable. This one is definitely outside Kenzo's minimalist approach, and I can't help but think they got this one horribly wrong.

Time for Peace for Him by Kenzo

Feels like a variation of Bulgari Black which Annick Menardo also created. You get the impression that Menardo wanted Bulgari to release this as a flanker to Black, but Bulgari said no so she took her formula to Kenzo. Adds a delightful mandarin orange note to the Black formula that gives Black fans a scent suitable for daytime wear. Sadly, Time for Peace for Him is discontinued and hard to find.

360 Degrees White For Men by Perry Ellis

Like most Perry Ellis scents, this one is a copy of a successful men's frag (Gaultier's Le Male). This one adds a berry note to the topnotes but otherwise it's the same juice as Le Male. What makes this more appealing than Le Male is it's cheaper and lacks of a "bulge" on the bottle.

360 Degrees Black For Men by Perry Ellis

Rip off of Rochas Man and a cheap one at that.

usemyname's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

At first I was a little disappointed when trying Bleu de Chanel. This was a blind buy. However, after a few minutes I was relieved as this really is a superb scent. You just have to let it sit for a while. I don't know how to pick out notes but it sure smells good.

This is an interesting fragrance as opposed to Allure which I find a total bore. My favorites from Chanel this far is Bleu and Anteus.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

There is nothing to be upset about this fragrance! It smells very clean and fresh. In summer, 80% of guys wear this (or azzaro chrome!) but I dont care. This fragrance is very presentable and unoffensive. I dont hate aquatics as such because they give more options to play during summer time.
    When a fragrance is of good quality, I gotta acknowledge it. In many ways, this fragrance is a landmark. Tracing the history of colognes from 4711, clubman, aramis, PRpH, APH, Quorum, Drakkar Noir and cool water. This just goes to show that fragrance evolved from earthier side to air-ier side (if any such term exists). I am not a snob so I dont lament this transition even though I am a huge fan of 70s and 80s style fragrances.
    This is not a bad fragrance at all. But as a man grows up, he should grow (figuratively) his wardrobe too. Just as you give up wearing chuck taylors for pair of oxfords and jeans-tshirt for suit, you gotta give up AdG and wearing something more "manly".
    A+ if your are under 21.
    F if you are above 30.

paulik's avatar

Romania Romania

H.M. by Hanae Mori

This is for the EDP (haven't tried the EDT yet):

Other reviewers have described this fragrance better than I could ever do, so I will concentrate on the longevity:

It may be that I am sensitive to some ingredients, but I never ever encountered such staying power in a male fragrance before. It even puts Kouros to shame in this respect. This fragrance will never go away :)

For me, two puffs are too much. One will make you be noticed throughout the day. But it is too heavy to be used for office or casual wear. It is strange, it is potent, it is not common, it makes a statement. It is to be tried before buying, some may not like it. I love it.

Dalimix by Salvador Dali

I can't stand this. I get a sharp and nose stinging blend of florals, watery fruits and spiky woods. Says unisex, but to me it smells very much like a bad feminine.

Avoid.

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Apple sauce with a pinch of cinnamon at the top is totally addictive and intoxicating. I love it, and I wish this wonder would last longer.

The dry down isn't bad either, though. Full-blooded oriental gourmand, which however never goes too sweet nor over the top.

Glowingly warm, almost roasted base with crisp caramel, honey and dried fruit keeps on flowing flawlessly for a long time. To me it smells more feminine than masculine, but I would still recommend to gents as well, at least to try out.

Cozy and extremely pleasant fragrance.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I do appreciate it, although I personally wear more robust lavender called Gris Clair with greater pleasure.

Caron PuH is a completely timeless, a bit dusty and almost savory lavender-vanilla fragrance with fine lasting power and subtle sillage. Very natural, honest and classy scent without any BS.
    I think instead of that green juice, bluish gray would have completed the overall entirety better. No big deal, though.

I understand why many consider this to be a perfect fragrance. In it's own way, I do too, but I personally don't wear it currently mainly because of that Gris Clair and, perhaps I prefer edgier juices in general, anyway.

Caron Pour un Homme is a big fat shiny piece of perfume history. Everyone should try it at least once or twice.

firehorse's avatar

Vanille Intense by Nicolaï

I was really looking forward to trying this after reading the notes. Unfortunately on me this was a very light powdery cinnamon scent. The vanilla is there sitting on the side and something about it for me is metallic, flat and sickly the way bathroom sprays are. There is a bit of woods in there which saves it from a total disaster, but its more like an afterthought thrown in at the last second. The only thing intense about this, is the queasiness the fragrance invokes, and the compulsion to scrub it off. I've tried sampling this about 5 times, and it just gets worse.

For the last couple weeks I've been sampling other sweet woody fragrances and other vanillas to compare while searching for something to fill the void of my craving - of either a sweet woody fragrance or a deep and rich Vanilla. I started my vanilla search with SDV, a couple Montale's, M. Micallef's, Diptyches's Eau Duelle, and Le Labo's Vanilla.

After sampling those, this fragrance just falls flat by comparison.

For instance M. Micallef's Gaiac is deeper, richer, more mysterious.... even spiritual .... and much, much more satisfying. Both can be compared in that they are anchored to a similar clove and cinnamon base but the Gaiac is so much better in that it has the power to convert a clove hater into a true devotee, as it draws the wearer deeper into bliss with every wearing.

If you are looking for a deeply rich and sensuous vanilla, this is not it, look elsewhere.

d4N13L's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

All i get with this one is powdery ginger, in a very, very good way.
    I can use this one in the warm weather, cause the ginger make it fresh, and in the cold weather, cause the powdery smell is very confortable to wear.
    This scent give me very good vibrations and put a smile in my face. Its like you receive an unexpected compliment for the work that you have finished, or a flower from who you love.
    I use it when i wake up cheerful and humorous.
    Also, lasts all day with good sillage, without bother anyone. Great for daytime and office wear.
    I love this scent.

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

This is jarring. I have made several attempts to try and get this fragrance. But no avail. I bought this blind after reading positive reviews and tenacity of this fragrance on the skin. I get rose flavored tobacco along the lines of the olfactory mayhem. That illusion makes me momentarily happy. But apart from that, this is absolutely unwearable. This remains the only power house fragrance which I positively dislike. (I like Salvador Dali PH too) Having said that, I can imagine some people may like this for novelty reasons. It is not a stinker but VERY VERY VERY heady. Aroma is not the word that comes to mind when thinking of Lapidus. Instead, the most perfect word is ASSAULT.

My final words: Blind buyers beware. Sample this first. Seriously!

usemyname's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

Love this one. It smells like it's from a different era. Very masculine and very unique. This is the only fragrance I also spray on my wrist beacuse it's so darn good even up close

teardrop's avatar

England England

Hawaiian White Ginger by Avon

l had a solid stick of this as a child, & recently got a bottle of the cologne mist from ebay; the same vintage, with the brightly-coloured paisley-style packaging. The top notes may have turned a bit, as the opening is slightly stale & "perfumey", or this may simply be the difference between the solid & the cologne. After a few moments a slightly green ginger-lily emerges, but at this stage it's still a little cloying. Then after ten minutes or so, it settles into the creamy-sweet tropical floral that l remember, & l can't stop sniffing my wrist. lt continues in this vein for a good 6-7 hours, not bad for a "cologne", & stays fairly close to the skin. lt's a little bit like Songes without the pencil shavings! l'm not sure l'll wear this often, but it's a pleasant trip down memory lane for me.

manoj4986's avatar

India India

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is beautiful fragrance for night out in INDIA where climatic conditions are hot.This smells amazing when wind is blowing around projects super smells so rich and amazing love it. Otherwise on days when it is not windy the charm of this fragrance is lot smells very synthetic and close to skin.Definitely for late nights JPG Lemale is the way to go.

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Antico Caruso by Profumum

Classy and elegant, yet modern and trendy. It has some similarities with Le Male, but this one is much more refined and classy. Very high quality scent, with great sillage and longevity. Works very well with both jeans and suit & tie.

digger51's avatar

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

I can not say why I like it, but I do. It is not your typical "marine" scent as it is a little "dirty" but it does smell like the ocean as you approach it from the inland valleys. It is pleasant to smell, have decent projection and lasts a good while. I know it has gotten poor reviews but I give it a thumbs up.

à l'improviste's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Oh this one lol scary experience for me.
    I just sniffed the bottle, the girl didn't have the time to finish the story for this, and I wasn't expecting something like that at all,
    just told her "OH no thanks!" , then.. I heard the word "circus"..
    Well indeed, to me smells like if some animals were having a naughty and uncontrollable party, then people put them in one bottle and shaked the whole thing lol
    Maybe it smells better when sprayed, or my nose was saturating.
    I smelled the cap a second time just to make sure.. oh please no thanks lol Just not for me I guess.
    Neutral cause I was just too scared to spray it anywhere, yeah I'm a coward for this one LOL
    I'll never know..
    gives me nightmares at night :)

RickieHK's avatar

Présence by Montblanc

This is a sophisticated fragrance. When you first put it on it smells of citus and a flower called heliotrope. Its important that you put it on your skin and not just your shirt as the scent will change on your body. Eventually it develops a slight peppery smell that has a touch of citrus and the heliotrope fades enough that it all blends together very well. It smells great but its not detectable far away. I notice i can still smell it on my shirt the next day. One compliment from a woman who was fairly close.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This was the first cologne ive smelled and ever since iv'e loved it. Its my signature scent and I'll always have this one. Its innofensive, green, and soapy. Great summer/ spring scent. I'd give it a 8.5/10

Blue Jeans by Versace

I bought this the over day at tj maxx for 20 bucks. Its very feminine but I love the smell. I'm addicted to it. Its innofensive. Its a versatile fragrance, i think it could be used and season it could be a going out scent or a daily scent. Its very young. i believe thisd i a great blind buy for a high schooler. I would reccomend this for people under 25.

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

very strong, fresh, sweet, fruity. Great for spring. Alittle to strong for summer. Its innofensive and projects great. I like it more than the original chrome because the opriginal is a little to strong for me. I'll give it an 8/10

Splash's avatar

Tocade by Rochas

Candied citrus peel with geranium green edges
    Cedar whispers
    Plastic dolls
    Magnolia creamsicle
    Outdoor vendor roasting sugar coated nuts- wafting smokey vanilla
    Powder, waxy rose
    Pillowy musk
    Proffered innocence

I feel so jaded smelling this perfume, like sniggering at Snow White.