Fragrance Reviews from March 2011

silentrich's avatar

Black Jeans by Versace

This is a great Black fragrance and the best out of the Jeans line. Sillage is moderate and longevity is average. The opening has a tad bit of sweetness and the dry down is a black ink. Like the patchouli and it's a very good and for myself versatile fragrance. Nice.

man114's avatar

Silver by Dana

Shares some similarities with its bretheren, British Sterling. Floral opening like with a bit of spice underneath. Closes down with powder. A little sweet. Its nice and light and smells clean, not heavy and overbearing. Opens powerfully but dies off pretty quickly takes a good bit to get any sillage out of it.. I give it a thumbs up because while it lasts it smells nice and pleasant. Easy to see why it is discontinued. Doesn't smell like something out of 1989 and seems oddly out of place for the time when it was released. A weird melange of a toned down 70s powder bomb, and a more modern lighter floral that vaguely reminds of Paul Sebastian PS. It is highly blended and difficult to guess any particular notes here. I'd liken it to a cross between PS without the vanilla and British Sterling with a hint of Gravity. You're left with something that while released in the 80s has no market there, not really a powerhouse, more like a toned down 70s scent. Don't let this discourage you it is at least worth a try. My wife loves this stuff.

Kalindi's avatar

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Fellow favorable reviewers have done this lovely scent justice. Like most of you I do not love patchouli on its own -- but this is a beautiful, softly elegant blend of earthy patchouli, soaring immortelle, and rosy florals. Drydown is supersoft and very pretty. On a trip to Southern California last fall, Patchouli Patch made this Ohio girl feel Bohemian-hip, a little wild, bright and lively as the waves rolling up on Venice Beach. Wear it while the sun shines.

tpoole67701's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Smells like a waxy vanilla candle! I love the stuff, it has great projection and longevity! Women love this stuff! One of the best fragrances of all in my opinion!

shamu1's avatar

Derrick by Orlane

Derrick smells like a poor man's JHL. Foetidus wasn't kidding when he wrote that this is a pure spice fragrance, and nothing but spices. Cinnamon, clove, wood, carnation, patchouli, vetiver, cumin and oakmoss all seem to be in here, providing sandpaper-like texture and overall feel. It's not the strongest fragrance in the world, which is a good thing because if it were your nose wood bleed.

Derrick comes from the 1970s school of power scents - ultra woody, spicy, dry and bold, but without the TNT-like power and sillage of the later fragrances in the 80's. It does smell dated, and anyone who wears Seventies styled masculines will recognize this immediately as a member of that club.

My only complaint is that it's not particularly well blended. This is a crude, rough and linear scent, and it can sometimes get tiresome to wear. It smells dark, austere, and unsmiling, but it lacks the complexity and quality of a Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. I like Derrick, but it's not something I'll be reaching for very often. Sillage and longevity are good.

MY RATING: 7/10

Senchal by Charles of the Ritz

When was this discontinued? How long has Senchal gone forgotten? My sample is most certainly degraded, but the impression I get is one of Norell, tired after the soiree, having lost all her spice and vivacity and donning a nutmeg night slip to relax awhile. It's ambery and creamy, a little like Organza, but oddly smells as though it's coming from a distance, even close up. This is a dated and tired fragrance, but I'm just curious enough about acquiring a fresher sample that I might soon be shopping about.

Harvitz81's avatar

Eau de Quinine by Geo F Trumper

Powdery floral citrus opening blast that is somewhat strong but dissipates quickly. Dries down to faint powdery notes that are somewhat difficult to pick anything out and really weak. After an hour it is difficult for me to detect much of anything. Decent opening to this one that I neither love nor hate, but not enough there afterwards to really say much of. As with many of Trumpers offerings, longevity seems to be an issue. Can't really say that I can pick out any quinine in this either.

Raffinée by Dana

(This is for the original Houbigant, not the Dana acquisition)

Raffinee smells like at least three different styles jostling in competition for attention. It's not like one of those fascinating frags that changes with the body or the season and releases differing nuances: it really is its own scent war. Green, white, and spicy florals complimented by/doing combat with spices, herbs, and who knows how many woods to create this strangely alluring yet unaccountably strange conglomeration of scents, memories, associations, comparisons. I feel the plum (of all things?!) dominates and colors the whole with a deep, wine-tinted red, and it is undeniably spicy but the juicy fruity aspect remains for nearly as long.

To date, I have never encountered a fragrance quite like this. I was probably embryonic in its heyday but (or because of that ) I really enjoy this. A very crimson affair. Sadly (for me), Raffinee is about as unisex as fishnet thigh-highs, and I'm no Tim Curry.

Fun note - There are so many similarities here to Lagerfeld's Sun Moon Stars (which I adore), and this might very well be her long-lost mother.

colormechris's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

I have a friend who really likes Burberry scents for men, so I got him this for his birthday. I wanted to like it. I really tried. And at first I did. But it was so sweet and cloying and headachey I ended up wishing I hadn't given it to him. I don't know if he likes it, but it's the thought that counts, right? In this case, maybe not. Ooops.
    I have yet to smell anything from this house that has impressed me. You'd think a place that gave us such a classic coat could come up with at least one classic scent. They have quite an output too. For all that money spent on development and advertising, couldn't they at least throw some bucks at some olfactory genius like Jacques Polge and give the world something worthy of the venerable Burberry name? Hmmm, is that too much to ask? There are people out there who aspire to more than mediocrity.

Halston by Halston

If you've read Foetidus's review below you'll know something's up: compare the current Halston back-to-back with a sample of the original (and I mean one of any quality) and you'll find yourself a classic case of osteoporosis. Gender aside, all the original Halstons used to be dense, almost swarthy chypres or very close to. This one just waited a few minutes before the dress came off and the hair showed. Quality of ingredients is the issue here: if not for the EU flip-out on oakmoss (and everything else that makes a cologne last) this poor creature would never have had to pretend to be a fruity floral. If you were to smell the formulations a decade or more apart the difference would seem noticeable yet minimal. But testing them side-by-side is what I would guess is the feeling of being smacked by the ghost of Mediocrity.
    4 for the 'real thing'
    2 for the sad replicant

Farouche by Nina Ricci

Screaming sour aldehydes followed by a faceless entourage of florals that are not supported but trampled by the classic masculine base.
    Farouche should have been a good fragrance. It walked the fine line between acceptable and dangerously chic and fell. I am very accepting and understanding for a man of my youth and (admitted) inexperience, but this concoction could never be construed as 'modern' and even flounders over 'pretty.' These flowers were long ignored in their vase.

Magie by Lancôme

Such a strange scent... I want to call it unisex but I can't- like there's a woman living in it. Baba Yaga, from the Forests of Olde, once powerful, feared, revered, respected, and finally all but forgotten. Magie contains mystery, beauty, age, wisdom, poise, and wonder, but I can't shake an underlying threat in the mix, as though by wearing it I'm breaking a code or trespassing somehow. Whereas such abnormal sentiments would normally thrill me, coming from a mere scent, this one unsettles me, and while I can see myself enjoying it I would just as soon keep a safe distance.
    Doubtless one to try, but not to own unless you live in a hut supported by chicken feet.
    If that statement lacks sense I would suggest reading about Baba Yaga. Then buy a sample of Magie. Oh, to smell the old world.

L'Interdit (new) by Givenchy

I fear for the mental integrity of anyone who wears this thing regularly. It's so very dull that even as the adjectives crop up in my mind with each sniff, the part of my brain that commands and sends the synapses related to speech ceases to function. Even Prada is out-performing this.

Infini by Caron

A fragrance aimed at a feminine market can't possibly be this smoky- Oh...it's French. I see.
    Fascinating stuff. Can't seem to decide, try as I might, whether I love it or hate it. Too dark, dirty and smoky for women. Too white and green floral to suit most men. This scent is untrustworthy. If this smells good on you I want to meet you, for you are a peculiar character.
    I list this as 'Neutral' but officially I am 'Undeclared.' Infini has no ties, no friends, no remorse, and no real flaws to speak of. It is a character in a novel: the character people whisper about.

Animale Azul by Animale Parfums

A loud, spicy, semi-oceanic scent that reminds me of an Herbal Essences advert. The feeling is hot, fruity and wet, and the freesia is so upfront it lends a shampoo feeling to the first half of its lifespan. I was self-conscious about this aspect of Azul until about the fifth compliment. The universe works in strange ways, and this stuff garners good results.

andischatz's avatar

Germany Germany

Lalique pour Homme Equus by Lalique

I found Equus after a long and arduous search for a new signature scent I could wear every day. In the past, I have gone for extremely clean, citrussy scents (Bulgari, Byredo's Fantastic Man) but I wanted something longer-lasting and slightly warmer this time.

Equus is still very clean, but it is also comforting and warm, but not exactly sweet. It's elegant, timeless and - what's important to me - not so well-known that it's instantly recognizable. Having skin that usually "eats up" fragrances very quickly, I'm impressed by its longevity and it's especially good on hair and fabric.

Oh, and the pricing is all right too - an important factor for a fragrance that you actually want to use liberally every day. I am very happy with this at the moment. ;-)

sarıpatates's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I love barbershop type of fragrances, and RG is one of the most successful of the style. It's a cold fougere as I classify them myself, whereas say Azzaro is a warm one.

I should like this a lot, and I respect it for what it is but the raw egg note, which only diamondflame mentions here makes it impossible for me to like it, or inspect it a bit more.

Even if I was wearing fragrances just to project an image or to smell "good" to other people, I still couldn't bear smelling it. It has to be a thumbs down from me. I would never use this.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Fragrances like this is what got me interested in buying Colognes. Smells incredible masculine! Definitely barbershop. In my top 5

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

I really like this one. I'm not sure it's very masculine. Wearing this got me a comment like 'Why are you wearing a women's perfume?'. Probably to perfumey, but still very good.

ChoppedGarlic's avatar

Greece Greece

Private Number for Men by Etienne Aigner

I found this in a bag while cleaning cupboards in my home today. I vaguely remember this being a gift waaay back in the year it was released, i had tried this once, then stashed away and completely forgotten its existence and even who the hell gifted me this one. And not with good reason: i resprayed today and it's an embarrassing scrubber that has nothing going for it, no wonder it has been discontinued. Some things are best left forgotten.

Zeligb's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I have been wearing this for 25 years.
    For me nothing touches it for refinement and class. So fresh.
    I use it more in Summer and find it especially winning in hot climates; people constantly comment (favourably) on it. I love the notes of lime, herbs and alcohol; Makes me think of a stiff gin. Wish it lasted longer

jcapricorn's avatar

Jitterbug by Opus Oils

I love Jasmine and really was excited to try this scent. It is big and in your face upfront and I dont get much after that. I agree with the previous review that it kind of seems unfinished. Opus oils Burlesque frags are much more complicated and interesting.

slvrbckgorilla's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

I can not, in good conscience, give this fragrance a negative review. For me it is wholly un-wearable, hauntingly medicinal, and strangely unpleasant. I can not imagine smelling of this and would not want to. That being said, this fragrance is a powerhouse. It is a major player in the history of perfumery, and, highly regarded as a top scent. Being that it is such an incredibly important fragrance and that I am so adverse to it, I have to split the difference and give it a neutral. A winner for many, but, undeniably not for me.

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

A fresh scent with citrus and oud. I found it bland and boring and subsequently gave it away after trying it a couple of times.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Dry and bitter. It stings my nose. Masculine? Yes! Wearable? No!

This is really well done. It's very unique. But I can't stand it.

jlouismi's avatar

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I think this is a superb fragrance, some speak of its lack of longevity and projection, i actually dont mind that it doesnt project as some would like, as a skin scent this is beautiful, i get little whiffs of it every now and again of that bitter orange.... just gorgeous, this will be my signature summer scent for a long time.

RayFlash's avatar

Poland Poland

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Imagine it's early 80's, you're a strong composed man in your late 40's. You have a villa in the middle of a pine forest. You're wearing a suit and a light brown suede jacket on top. You're relaxed, smoking a pipe and just taking a walk through the woods. Suddenly, you fall over and pieces of forest bed get into your nose. That's how Quorum smells like. Isn't that wonderful?

cello's avatar

Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon's

This announces it's intentions right up front with a beautiful, greenish and fresh Lily of the Valley. It must be just like sticking your nose right into the flower itself, including the faintest of rubbery smell that you get from many flowers. I thought this was a beautiful rendition of the Lily, but a clean Lily it is. A rose and jasmine faint floral combo join in the middle, and it stays fairly linear until fading into a soft sandalwood/lily combo, green throughout.
    This is a great spring frangrance, invigorating with it's green and natural smell.

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

I don't think I'm going to keep this one. There's nothing charming about it. 'Forgettable' is an accurate description.

Grigioperla and Gillette Cool Wave somehow reminds me of this one, but Onyx doesn't hold a candle to either one.

31st March, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st April, 2011)

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

Masterpeace!

I feel really relaxed and peaceful when I wear this. Like a summer's day in Andalusia. Maybe this isn't an aquatic scent, but it got that cucumber note that normally makes me nauseous. Love it here, though! The scent remains interesting during it's life span...around 8 hours. Never dull. Extremely comfortable to wear as someone mentioned.

31st March, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2011)