Fragrance Reviews from March 2011

Claire811's avatar

Allure Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I love this perfume. Very classy, elegant, sweet and feminine. It depends on the skin, it's different in every woman.

04th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 04th March, 2013)

Darvant's avatar

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Not bad if you are looking for a mossy, sharp, formal fragrance to be worn at work or for business. This is a traditional sharp, formal italian scent (i would label it as a pine needles prominent fragrance) coming out from the abysses of the 80's. It's an astringent, mossy, coniferous, patchouli fragrance. The beginning is all citrus and lavender with woodsy nuances soon at work from the background. The first aromatic whiff is the prelude to a sour, woodsy kind of smell immediately following and stable till the end of the trip. In a while the aroma, almost jumping the middle obstacle, slides quickly towards a mossy dry down mastered by cypress-pine and patchouli with nuances about a stiff, astringent, floral smell (geranium and carnation linked with cedar, i suppose) coming from an evanescent middle part of development. A touch of leather and vetiver close the round in order to create a shadowy, grey kind of aromatic woodsy scent from the forest. Not bad the longevity and the projection.

04th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 14th January, 2014)

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Narcisse Noir by Caron

I am reviewing the parfum extrait...

Dark and intense blend of oranges, jasmine, incense and musk notes...

Incredibly powerful and long lasting but refined, elegant and unique...

I do love it and will wear it again for a special evening at the opera...

Big thumbs up...!!!

earthmonkey's avatar

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

I'm not a huge fan because the smell is too cloyingly sweet to me personally, constantly reminding me of what I am wearing. I would much rather wear this out in the open air on a summer vacation than in the office. Of course, I have always preferred scents that are more subtle to my senses, yet which surprise those who haven't been around me. That being said, others haven't said bad things about this scent on me. Yes I have smelled this type of scent on plenty of Germans, no joke, although I was young and naive and didn't know about 4711.

Other than that, what can I say that hasn't been said? So much neroli at the start, amber base notes, good sillage. Some urinal cakes smell this good, which is kind of disturbing...

perfumista's avatar

Odyssey by Avon

It has only been a few minutes, but from the get go I liked this fragrance. The spouse used an entire powder canister to scent the sheets, so, obviously it was a favorite. I found the powder to be extremely musky, but not so the cologne. It is very clean and softly floral.
    I have heard this likened to both Chanel 19 and Noa and Noa Fleur.
    It is reminiscent of the Chanel in EDP and it is a crisp and slightly musky floral.
    Truly enjoyable, particularly for the price and ease of availability.

bokaba's avatar

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Jazz is a better fougere than you would think. It is extremely clear and extremely to the point. No fluff here. Jazz opens with a bright citrus/spice blast and then displays the standard fougere lavender-geranium accord with aplomb. The heart is spicy and floral with a coumarin, sanaldwood, and amber base. Very nice, very conservative, and very well-thought. Many reviewers point out that this was run of the mill when it came out, but after the terrible releases of the 90s, this floral aromatic fougere is more than welcome. Jazz carries moderate longevity and moderate sillage, unusual of a 1980s fragrance if applied sparingly. Give it a try.

bokaba's avatar

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Although a boozy, sweet aquatic in the vein of Cool Water and so many others, Live Jazz remains probably the best. Strong citric/mint opening, aromatic heart, and musky base. What makes Live Jazz stand out is that it is smooth, natural-smelling, and uses good quality ingredients.

qwerty73's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Absolutely magnificent! Takes you on a journey to an exotic land, with a dry warm desert air softly brushing against your face with hints of amber, soft smokey incense, and vetiver.
    Uh, so sensual....love it!

melliferam's avatar

Manoumalia by LesNez

When I first tried this and then looked at the reviews on basenotes I was mystified. I didn’t recognise the descriptions of lush, juicy, tropical loveliness. It was only the bathroom comment by Theasylph I could associate with.
    This fragrance conjures up for me a vision of an eccentric old lady, living in a retirement village in Florida. She wears a slightly soiled flowery Mumu and keeps plastic tropical flowers in her bathroom. It is the smell of cheap floral disinfectant and bathroom air freshener blending with her cheap perfume, stale powder and lipstick. At least the window is open bringing in the warm air and the scent of tropical flowers outside.
    Its not what I want to smell of, or something i want to subliminally suggest to others about myself. So although I really enjoyed the rest of the range I had consigned this one to the cellar of my samples.
    But then I tried it again today. And for the first hour or so I am afraid my impressions were unchanged. Magic tree might make a fragrance much like this, and they always give me a headache.
    But I think my impression of this scent is prejudiced by the rather unpleasant opening salvo. And this is a bold perfume, not coy and clinging but brash and out there in everyone’s face. But if I wait it out I do find more to like. It moves on to something softer, gentler and more tropically floral. I have never smelled a Fragrea or a Tiare so I cannot pick out their scent or say whether this is a realistic depiction, but yes in the early dry down I do have more of the sense of a warm Polynesian evening, the scents of tropical flowers drifting in the breeze. It’s still fairly overpowering and maybe not the scent for me. Its the way i feel about lilies, I love lilies, they are beautiful and graceful. Yet on a hot summers evening I do find their fragrancee is just too much, too bold, too overpowering. I move my pots of lilies to the back of the garden so I can sit outside on a summers evening, they are best appreciated at a distance. If you are the person who likes to be enveloped in a heavy cloud of fragrance this might appeal to you. I am not saying it smells like Dior’s Poison, but I think it comes from the same school of thought, heady and very bold. Do not under any circumstances wear this to the office, as complaints will surely follow.
    There are lovely parts of this, sometimes I smell something powdery and musky, sometimes a pretty floral floats out and sometimes I smell something warm and comforting which my subconscious recognises but for which my conscious mind cannot find a referencefrom some past experience or life.
    The floral disinfectant accord still sadly also pops up occasionally now and then, but now more whispered than shouted at the opening.
    At around 4 hours in the scent develops some cedar and a chocolatey slightly fecal smell, not unpleasant, in fact the best bit to me.
    And the longer you wear it the lower the volume, and im a person who likes a fragrant whisper more than a shout.
    The longer the dry down the more I like it, but overall I don’t know when I would wear it. Certainly not to work, nor on a hot day as it would overpower me, but then it’s hardly the perfume for a winters walk.
    Don’t let me put you off the range. LesNez will sell you a set of their fragrances for a very reasonable price. And they are worth trying as all of them are interesting if not conventional. I think the one I will buy a bottle of is the most conventional of the range, the Unicorn Spell. But I might also go for a bottle of Let me Play the Lion once the summer starts and my mind is ready for smells of heat and dust.
    I only wish more perfume houses had this scheme. I would like to sample the Hermessence range and they dowill sell a set of 4 smaller bottles of your choice,for a more reasonable price which is quite enticing. But I i would need to sample them first and would happily pay for this. I contacted them but Hermes but they told me they don’t sell or give away samples of the Hermessence range at all. To choose 4 from the range of 9 is not something I would do by travelling to their very few stores and spritzing my wrist. So well done LesNez, and let’s hope others take note of their success.

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Cuba Black by Cuba Paris

If I have to visually describe it there's a big black something (tarry, almost bitter, similar to isobutyl quinoline found in Aramis, Bandit etc. but without the loudness and directness they bring) with a pale white spot on top (camphoraceous, medicinal, herbal). When I think about it, I always imagine two layers not so well matched - and I have a similar image for Black Jeans and Passage d'Enfer, and I actually like this type of structure. Gradually these two layers start to merge better and the fragrance becomes more plain and flawless, the 'bright' top turned to calming aromatic mix of lavender and flowers, black base remaining quite the same. No bitterness - yet all the time lingering on the edge of it, the aromatic layer not letting it to go further and become a burned tar monster. Quite an achievement. I had a brief affair with tarry leathers like the above mentioned; now I find them outdated and in-your face. This one manages to balance the film noir feeling with an 80's refinement. Good!

Spoombung's avatar

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

Very plain, pleasant, clean, soapy musk fragrance. You smell this at the bottom of many expensive scents and it does rather give the impression that something's missing from the picture as there is very little going on in the upper spectrum to smell.

Anyway, you can't complain at this price and I would imagine it's very good to use as a blender with other scents.

marcus93's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Lalique pour Homme Equus by Lalique

Long lasting sensual and smooth. Beautiful and elegant, but too femenine for me. Definitely worth trying again...

Tonka Impériale by Guerlain

This has the best dry down of any perfume I've tried to date. The smoky incense is perfectly balanced with a smooth, dry tonka, without being sweet or cloying. It's hard to recommend this for a guy, as it opens with a huge purple bloom of flowers, but once that passes (fairly quickly) it's just fantastic. It's a powerful fragrance, so I usually just put on a dab, about half an hour before going out, and it's perfect. I'd be totally defenseless against a woman wearing this fragrance.

marcus93's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Wood & Absinth by Mark Buxton

A perfect mix between the anise top note and the mysterious wood basenote. The top note draws you in with an intense presence, and the woody basenote gives that dark mysterious touch. My favorite fragrance in Mark Buxton's collection.

Piment Brûlant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

When I cook thai food I use a lot of thai red chilies. Piment Brûlant smells exactly the way my hands do after chopping and cleaning those chilies. It's not unpleasant, but for me the association with food is too strong for me to want to wear it.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Smells like the other twelve thousand sporty men's fragrances I've smelled in my hunt for interesting colognes. Maybe I just don't know how to appreciate 'les eaux', but this bores me to death.

almasinti's avatar

Cashmere for Men by Cristiano Fissore

Another cedar scent. I am not sure this would be able to replace other cedar scents in anyone's mind. Nonetheless, it is a smooth gentle, but peppery cedar/amber combination, subtly green, with a hint of patchouly, that is very nice. It fades too quickly based on my sample. Worth a try if you like gentle skin scents.

Late-Hit's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Darrin: Endora, you might as well show yourself.

Endora: *Poof* Well alright, Derwood, have it your way.

Darrin: If I have to smell you, I might as well see you.

Endora: Yeeeess Donald. Exactly.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Oud For Highness 75 by Krigler

This is a woody, sweet, oriental fragrance that makes a great initial impression. I understand that it was designed for an Eastern monarch, and that comes through in the presentation. While the notes seem to be the same as those you can find in a lot of other current offerings, this is unique and very impressive. Retro, like all Kriglers, this should be used in stringent moderation, unless you are a monarch with your own retinue. Makes a statement that's for sure.

Humanfactor's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Everyone notes the tobacco scent in T4T, but I mostly get a strong honey note. I do find it a bit too sweet but there is something quite familiar in this scent that I can't clearly describe but that is very welcoming, very likable even comforting. I also agree with some of the other reviewers that it is a very linear experience, I don't notice any changes from top to middle to base note.. should they have structured this fragrance in such a way. I find the silage to be quite capable... it will be noticed. I also find it lasting throughout the day. I think I might more be prone to wear this in the evening hours, and during the cool weather months. If I do notice a smokiness, I think it might be more that from a smoldering fireplace than from a pack of Marlboro's.

JonB's avatar

Derby by Guerlain

Derby gets a thumbs up rating from me, but I won't swoon over this one. It definitely smells like a different era. The opening is quite loud, and I find projection to be moderately high. Derby is too formal for me to enjoy; I just don't have the occasion to wear this stuff. The leather is very much under the radar, and really only modifies the patchouli base. I will use up the bottle I have, but I won't replace it once it's gone. I almost want to say "meh". It just doesn't capture my imagination.

hollowcaste's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Guys ... just one word - HORRIBLE !!

Someone said it right , smells like cheap-sickly-sweet 3 dollar feminine perfume applied over disgusting male body odor . It makes me puke when I sniff , especially after one hour of dry down . No variation of the smell during the dry down . It remains the flat sweet-stinky revolting smell !

And the sillage + lasting power makes you feel like chopping off the body part where you sprayed it on !! It just doesnt go by washing !!

I'm cursing myself for buying this , going by its glitters & "best seller" reputation !!

This stuff should stay behind golden door locks , just as the bottle looks like .
    Stay away from this horse pee !!

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum by Helmut Lang

This is a brilliant fragrance and shamefully discontinued. It's another fine demonstration of M. Roucel's talent, and so much better than much hyped HL Cuiron...

Somewhat similar to Musc Ravageur, not that suprisingly. But I like this a tad better because it's not as loud. You know, musk scents are at their best when they wear close to skin without too overwhelming sillage.

HL Eau de Parfum is mainly a mixture of candyfloss vanilla and french herbs with animalic trace of jasmine-civet-patchouli accord. The overall impression is of high quality natural musk, or the cotton candy served in a heavenly funfair.

Long lasting pleasure.

This is marketed to women, but don't be fooled: It's based on HL Cologne (for men) but only with more intense concentration. Totally unisex and wonderful perfume in general.

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Rochas Man Intense by Rochas

A note : This was originally made by M. Roucel but was re-formulated by J-M Duriez during 2008/2009.
    This review is for the latest version.

RM Intense starts out with fairly loud caramelisized lavender with baked bananas and sun ripened rasberries. Captivating right from the start, but I'm sure only for the lovers of well made gourmands (such as me).

Dries down in wonderful fashion : Refined and masterfully engineered fougere with hints of pink stuffed licorice and freshly roasted, fruity African coffee.

This one is subtle, long lasting and seducing fragrance. Right there in the top 10 of fragrances with edible, and more precicely, dessert like qualities.

alfarom's avatar

cK one by Calvin Klein

This review is to talk about all of the Calvin Klein classics (one / be /obession / escape / eternity etc. etc.). A bunch of them were ok, a few of them even good, but a lot of them were just perfumed water for ironing with the CK monogram on the bottle. The problem, thou, it's not with the perfumes themselves but instead with the fact that in a certain period almost everybody was wearing a CK creation. I can say I never tried one of these scent personally but instead I passively suffered them all. I started to develope an allergy and grew it in the years. What I can say for sure is, sooo bad for me, they had an incredible commercial feedback. I will survive!

Buysblind's avatar

Gigli Man by Romeo Gigli

Gigli Man opens with citrus notes and a slightly sweet floral aroma (i believe it's the geranium note paired with mandarin) which lingers for about half an hour or so. Then, it gradually transitions into a fresh, woodsy accord with what i would describe as a 'watery' vibe (not ocean-like in any sense...it doesn't smell like or resemble the sea...think more along the lines of fresh water)....there is some spice evident here, though it is very light and not immediately apparent, adding depth to the background....the fresh aquatic accord holds for a while and very gradually fades as the woods and musk hold down the base.

I would describe this as a very refined scent...no one note is particularly dominant at any stage and the middle accord is very well-blended...it is at its 'sharpest' in the opening where it appears as a sweet green floral though it's not long before this settles....the middle accord is my favorite part, and where I began to realize how well-constructed this fragrance actually is.

The longevity is decent, 4 to 6 hours, though if you're looking for something that really projects this may not be for you. While it does project to a degree, it falls on the weaker side of the spectrum (not exactly a skin scent, but nowhere near a projection monster).

Gigli Man does a good job of straddling the casual and formal and I therefore believe would serve perfectly as an everyday office scent. It is undoubtedly masculine and while it does not stand out as unique, it doesn't really smell like anything I have smelled before (however, it's opening reminds me of the opening to Ungaro III's latest formulation but Gigli is more subtle and less pungent, never crossing the line into 'nauseating' territory)

The best part about it....This stuff is cheap! 100ml should run between 20 and 30 U.S. dollars. An excellent fragrance for the price.

7.75/10

colormechris's avatar

Canoé by Dana

Canoe is a classic and very much of its time too. 1936...think suave. Style. Classic clothes and slick hair. White V-neck tennis sweaters with navy and maroon accents. When a man went to the barber shop once a week. No wonder the fragrance is so distinctly a barber shop one. I have a bottle that looks like it's from back in the day. In fact, it says "Made In France". Now there's no way Dana makes fragrance in France anymore. So I must have a bottle of Canoe that was done the old fashioned way. That is to say, RIGHT. All of the criticisms here of the current formulation (with which I agree) are simply not present in the version I'm smelling right now. This French Canoe is outstanding. It is the epitome of what it its supposed to be. The penultimate powdery, citrusy, slightly herby barber shop smell. The quality remains throughout the drydown. The current Canoe seems to say "Canoe" from the topnotes then plunges into the mediocrity of mass market malaise. Such a pity. But even the best houses are guilty of this sort of thing. But even the mediocrity of today's Canoe is forgivable since it's coming from such a classic. It's like watered down Chivas...not as good; but still gives you a little kick.

colormechris's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I think all things considered and based solely on all the fragrances I've smelled during my lifetime (and that's a mere fraction)....but having tried most of the men's classics...I would say that this is sheer perfection. It is simply the finest, most perfectly balanced, most beautiful masculine fragrance I've ever smelled. Strangely, it's not my favorite. It's not something for everyday. But damn, if it isn't everything a perfume is supposed to be.

Primrose's avatar

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

I will agree with other reviewers that this is easily an oriental unisex scent. I also get the "vanilla tobacco" observed but not in the list of notes.

It is sweet but not masculine or feminine in either direction.

The top notes are sweet and floral with middle notes in which the peach, jasmine, rose and ylang-ylang stand out. In the finish, there is rich, warm amber, sandalwood, cedar and vanilla.

In my opinion, this is a much overlooked scent and easily available online at discounters. This is a must-try scent for lovers of sweet orientals.

alfarom's avatar

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

I'm very disappointed with Sienne L'hiver as it seemed to be Duchafour's masterpiece (as he said in an interview) I was expecting a lot. I love Bertand D and I have no other words than disappointment to desribe this scent. I live in tuscany, where i was born, and I can say there's absolutely nothing in this scent that reminds me of the place I live...sorry!

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 04th April, 2011)