Fragrance Reviews from March 2011

Number 1 for Men by Clive Christian

This could even be the most surprising and pleasant perfume ever created by an human being (and it's not) but there're absolutely no way to spend over 1000 bucks for a scent. It's an ok scent, no more, no less. Do you want a Baccarat crystal /gold / diamond bottle? ok get it, but perfumery is another thing!

Mr. Hulot's Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume

CB is surely a funny brand. I like their visionary concept, I like their descriptions and love the perfume absolute bottle and packaging but very often I don't like very much their scents. Inconsistent and fresh in a very ordinary way. Mr. Hulot's Holyday is ok but nothing special, really. No old suitcase, sorry :(

al02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

This is absolutely amazing. A very complex scent, magistrally crafted, addicting, totally evocating and exciting. The opening it's actually not so suprising as the fruits note are really dominant but within a few seconds all the ingredients start to react chemically and create a supreme and very sofisticated allure that's litterally intoxicating (in a very good way). Sometimes pungent, sometimes sweet, sometimes dry it continuely changes and evolves depending on the note that momentarely shows up. Vetiver and vanilla, incense and tonka bean, mandarine and labdanum, oppsites fighting for you pleasure. This one could be a masterpiece if it only had a longer lasting power and better sillage, but a favourite anyway.

Similar to AL2 is Versilia Platinum by Profumi Del Forte (a quite hard to find and quite expensive perfume) where Arturetto Landi reached his perfection giving the scent an incredible lasting power and a super projection...check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

I can't really make up my mind on Ninfeo Mio. There are some aspects that I really love about this one i.e. the opening is pleasantly fresh with a lot of lemon and citrus magistrally balanced with bitter fig and fig leaves, but on the other hand, in the drydown the milky note and creamy wood dominate the whole fragrance in a bad way. Actually i quite like how it smells but can't immagine it on my skin. I like it on paper anyway!

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

This is one of those really well crafted perfumes, so well balanced, so calibrated, so perfect, so discreet that absolutely doesn't give me any sensation. It's like a beatuìiful woman with no personality, pleasant at first but boring after a while.

Soleil de Capri by Montale

When I first tried this on paper I was really amazed by its freshness, it was kinda unique to me, and it's not easy when you talk about fresh scents. It reminded me of fresh tomatoes with oilve-oil on a sun-roof in the Capri bay, really. It was totally evocating, but then I decided to try it on my skin and what came out was an orrible "lemon-cake-just-took-out-from-the-hoven" that was really unaffordable. Sweet toasted candies, warm and sticky. No Way!

Fougères Marines by Montale

I won't spend many words on this one. Simply awful. It reminded me of Walmart room fragrances or super discounted teenagers perfumes. Thumbs Down, definitely!

Sliver Aoud by Montale

I love Oud but I don't know why I find Montale's Ouds are all pretty much the same. This one has a dominant lavender note (together with the ever dominant oud) that make me think of an old, rancid laundry detergent.As usual in Montale's fragrances, longevity and sillage are great but this one is definitely not "my cup of tea". Sample first or directly jump to Aoud Musk.

No. 5 by Chanel

I'll re-post my original review for Chanel No.5. And I'll keep on doing it forever. Once again, this is possibly one of the best perfumes ever created but the point within my review is slightly different. I'm trying to focus on the fact that if we all endorse the "best ever" attitude we leave no room for invention, for curiosity, for self expression and we react to other people's opinion just like the world of perfumery reacted when No.5 was originally released. At the time, brands by the likes of Guerlain used to keep the point that using natural ingredients in perfumes, was the only way to guarantee excellance. Then Chanel introduced on the market the first clearly chemical fragrance, declaring they used over 80 aldehydes to create this marvellous composition.

At the time it was absolutely blasphemous from Chanel and the world of perfumery splitted in two parts. On the one side we had those who felt almost offended by No.5, on the other we had people endorsing Chanel's choice realizing that No.5 was a revolutionary landmark in perfumery.

Said that, I'm trying to encourage people to be open minded, and most of all to respect other people's opinion...

Here we go....

Chanel No.5

OK, I know it may sound blasphemous from me (again) but we can't stand this perfume enymore! OK OK OK, it was revolutionary, it was the first floral- aldehydes scent ever created but please, let's go a little bit further now. I've nothing against N.5 that's an ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE but I'm sick and tired of mid aged ladies wearing this fragrance and thinking this is the only scent available in the whole world.There are no more reasons to exists for Chanel No.5 besides being part of your own collection, but please don't tell me there's anyone still wearing this. Wearing Chanel No.5 in 2011 it's not anymore being elegant and classy...fantasy, please!

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 04th August, 2011)

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

This is one of those mass market perfumes that i quite like and don't know exactly why. It's pretty generic, usual and common but it has "something" fascinating. It has the classic "I already know this" feeling that you may have when you hear a really good pop song. You don't really like it, but if you ear it on the radio you don't change frquence...Woody and citrusy, acquatic, slightly salty, generic but well crafted.

I will probably never buy a FB as I'm pretty satisfied with a large decant, but if you're looking for a designer summer fragrance, you should definitely give Aqva Pour Homme Marine a chance.

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th August, 2011)

Bond No.9 Perfume Oud by Bond No. 9

I've been trying many of the Bond N.9 perfumes but I really can't say which ones as they're all basically the same. Well, they're not really the same, but toally looks like.Very loud, vulgar and a bit annoying. The "street name concept" is ridiculous, the bottle is ridiculous, prices are ridiculous and most of all the scents are ridicolous. Mass market expensive scents for rich women with no class but with a platinum credit card. One of the most overstimated perfumes brand ever. Sorry!

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th September, 2011)

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

This is one evrybody really talks too much about. Overstimated, baroque and a bit vulgar! If you like dark incense perfumes try Bois D'Encens by or Incense Extreme by Andy Tauer or Avignon by CDG.

Dark-green and smoky frankincense with a citrusy vibe. Not bad but far from being completely successful.

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 23rd September, 2011)

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

When this came out back in 2000 it was totally revolutionary and I'm not talking about the provocative marketing concept behind the fragrance notes, but the scent itself. It was incredibly recognizable, unique and absolutely stunning. I always try to avoid hypes but couldn't resist Odeur 71. In the end, we can spend a lot of words and time talking about really well crafted fragrances, filled with top quality ingredients, and super professionaly balanced aromas but we should never forget that first of all, a perfume has to give you sensations and feelings and whether you'll like CDG's Odeur 71 or not, it won't leave you indifferent. My suggestion would be, just for one time, to try to avoid any description, comment, notes pyramid and and just smell.

A very distinctive mix of clean incense with a minty vibe and a strong xerox-toner note. Abstract and airy. An all time favourite.

Also, this is one of those scent that really needs to be collocated in its historical period to be properly appreciated. It surely belongs to the chemicals fragrances family, modern in a "contrapposition mode" to the classic, provocative and avanguardist, unconventional, but you can appreciate Odeur 71 and at the same time go mad for a Santa Maria Novella's original scent from the early 700. It was one of the first "barrier-braking" scent to (almost) make the cross-over from niche perfumery to the mass market as it became an huge cult for a whole generation.

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 14th October, 2011)

mb03 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

First of all, I like MB3, I like Mark Buxton's creations and I totally loved a bunch of them such as CDG 2 Man or CDG Original but we really needed another one like Avignon, Around Midnight, Cardinal? This is a good, dark church-y incense but, unfortunately, it's really too similar to the ones I mentioned which are cheaper and much more readily available (Avignon anyone?).

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th October, 2011)

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

This is a masterpiece! Dark, gothic, deep and mysterious liturgical incense. Together with CDG avignon, this stays at the top of church inspired fragrances and it's surely one of my favourites. It's pungent almost astringent in the opening to turn much more softer, warm and earthy during drydown. Pepper, some coniferous, vetiver and animalic hints give birth to a multi-faceted incense based composition that while smelling dark and gothic it's incredibly elegant in its minimalistic approach. Not too powerful but definitely remarkable. If you want your incense to stay close to the skin but to result incredibly distinctive at the same time, there's nothing like Bois D'Encens.

The original packaging came in a precious wood bottle and was available as a 50ml EDP at a quite unaffordable price. They now made a "smarter/cheaper" version with a dark glass bottle coming in a 100ml EDP size. Highly recommended!

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 16th January, 2012)

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

March 2011:

I won't spend many words on this as it's simply otrageous. A totally generic light-sportish fragrance with a fancy name on the bottle! That's all you can get form Bleu!

Edit June 2011:

After several wearings I partially changed my opinion on Bleu. While I still believe this fragrance is way too conventional and generic, at least it smells very natural and takes the distance from the average low quality of nowadays masculines. Honestly crafted and targeted to men who are easily pleased. In this context Blue does what it does, and it does it good.

I stick with Egoiste or Antaeus.

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 13th February, 2012)

Aiona's avatar

Twilight Woods by Bath and Body Works

March 5, 2011: Twilight Woods? I think this one is seriously misnamed. The notes given by Bath and Body Works are "apricots, cypress, berries, and exotic woods." Apricots. Yes. Berries. Yes. Cypress? Where?! Exotic woods? Maybe some sandalwood, if I imagine reallllllly hard.

If I had blind sniffed this, I would have named it "Fruit Basket." But Woods? Eh. If you're a woods lover, this one will not meet expectations.

If you're a marketer trying to capitalize on the _Twilight_ sensation, then perhaps it's not misnamed at all.

Edit February 23, 2012: My previous review was for the lotion. I re-tried Twilight Woods today, using the new body mist that they're heavily promoting. It still really doesn't smell of "woods" to me, and I still think this scent is seriously misnamed. This time around, the fruitiness was not so overpoweringly annoying. The mist really is much lighter in scent than the lotion. I also stopped thinking about the stupid name, and hoping for woods, and realized there was coconut in here, which I do like. 4 hours later, there is definitely a musk. Overall, it's not a bad scent. Misnamed. But not a bad scent. The body mist is much more tolerable to me than the lotion, as the "fruit" smell is far lighter than the coconut and vanilla. I still don't really get the sandalwood. The body mist I would name "*Tropical* Fruit Basket."

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 24th February, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Denim by Denim

Strong leathery virile chypre with a spicy, citrusy opening, an astringent floral heart and a musky-rooty base with the addition of cedarwood in order to provide structure and stableness. It is a less complex and refined version of Azzaro Pour Homme, in the sense there are some similarities between the two fragrances (in the structure). Refreshing at morning, very masculine, woody/leathery with a boise vibe but a bit old fashioned and stuck. Few hours later the first dab the scent starts becoming a bit powdery. Weak longevity.

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 14th January, 2014)

Ginger Musk by Montale

Sickening sweet abomination. Loud, exhausting and even a tad vulgar. MEH.

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 09th February, 2014)

mboone1224's avatar

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

I've been wearing this scent since 1998 when it first came out. But I have a bottle for about 5 years. I don't know if I bought an old bottle from FragranceNet, or that it's lasting power just does not last long. But I don't remember it being this weak. And for the price I pay I don't want to be the weak.

kauinca's avatar

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

Yes, it's drugstore cheap, and yes, it was way overworn in the 80s, but it still smells so good - floral and soapy. Use with a light touch!

kauinca's avatar

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I find I wear Allure quite well. It doesn't come off as a heavy or cloying just light and easy to wear. It's something I'll just spritz on when I'm in a rush and don't want to think about fragrance. Works well in warm weather on me. It is pretty generic and not up to Chanel's caliber, and I wouldn't purchase it, but I received it as a gift several years ago and the bottle's more than half gone...so that speaks for itself. Like it but don't love it.

odysseusm's avatar

Perry Ellis for Men (new) by Perry Ellis

A bit sweet, fruity, kind of odd. Raisins? Old tea bags? It is different from a lot of other things... I'll give it that. Seems somewhat edible, foody. And yet vaguely fresh-aquatic too. Others have noted the subtle melange at work here, I concur. Not my style at all, but it OK if you like that sort of thing.

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Congratulations Thierry Mugler, you have finally created a fragrance that I can enjoy.

Angel Men Pure Havane is basically tobacco on top of Pure Malt, yes. What I like about this fragrance is that it actually smells like sweet TOBACCO - the tobacco here doesn't puss out like Tom Ford's overpriced shlock. As it dries down to the middle, it gets a wee bit powdery with some honeyed sweetness, and then the tobacco comes back again! This stuff projects well and lasts a looooooooooooong time.

Well done, I really like this one - and this is coming from a guy who hates sweet fragrances.

odysseusm's avatar

Axe Kilo by Axe / Lynx

Very vague lavender, fresh-synthetic. A workmanlike freshener, hardly a scent. Freshly-laundered shirt. Use for about 2 minutes and then ya move on. Gets sweeter in the dry-down, and to my taste tiresome. And then the vanilla hits and it's scrubby time.

Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9

A VERY fruity lime. I don't get as much lime out of Noveau Bowery as I do mangoes and other various fruits. A bit too fruity-tutty for me. It lasts a really long time, though.

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella

A car garage, fresh tires, gas being pumped outside, a new car! Love this stuff, it really does smell like everything associated with cars!

Weimar27's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Rich full and sexy, Ambre Sultan might be the most
    accuate Amber in perfumery nothing synthitic nor
    chemically enhanced Serge Lutens uses the finest
    oils to bring back to nature to it's simpicity,
    Aesthetic wise i can conjour in a number of ways
    to describe this and let my imagination run wild.
    If the color of Amber had a scent no doubt Amber
    Sultan whould fail, like it's namesake it's warm
    and opaque not translusent or delicate, to lure
    you to an ancient world where the sky touches the
    earth the note of Sandalwood adds the firey nuances, Myrrah and incense burns throughout the night
    with it's pure white smoke ascends the endless sky like an offering of the night and the cool wind blows through sand dunes and refreshes your senses
    This scent brings to Ancient in all of us.

kpark67's avatar

Japan Japan

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

First of all, don`t be fooled by the name. If this was put into a creed or some kind of a niche bottle, it would become a classic.

Some may argue that this is very plain, linear, and boring. I can see how some may argue this, as there are many colognes out there that are very similar to this. I am new to colognes, but I still smelled unforgivable, which kind of reminds me of this particular cologne. I haven`t tried it yet, but I also hear that Creed`s M.I. is also kind of similar. Obviously they all have they`re differences, but if you enjoyed citrus/woodsy colognes for the summer, you will most likely enjoy this.

Great option for wearing as a signature scent. It`s very, very safe and draws lots of compliments. I am telling you right now-girls love this stuff. This is the type of smell that lingers in your nose. I think it has to do with the mandarin and cardamom blending with the Agarwood and Vetiver, which I definitely pick up. On my skin, this smell gets better over time. The initial blast of citrus is, while pleasant, somewhat boring as it is reminiscent of many fresh aquatics out there. Give it time. Once it develops on your skin the scent seems to become smoother and smoother, blending very nicely with the woods and the violet in the mid notes. I am glad I gave this a try. Initially I was turned off with the whole Ed Hardy thing, but I have to say that this one impressed me.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Red 2 by Giorgio Beverly Hills

This is a slap in the face for those that like Red and believe this will be at least something similar, but this monstruosity is horrible and a big dissapointment for me.
    Fortunately for humankind this "sore to the nose" has been discontinued.