Fragrance Reviews from April 2011

Darvant's avatar

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

All i smell is a sort of mentholated white musk with a citrus-floral undertone, combined with an aromatic green ambery tea. The citrus are prominent at the beginning and are combined with a green tea note which appears flavoured by a woodsy-floral poutporri. In the dry down emerges the mildness of white amber that on the side of musk softens the prickly temperament of citruses. The accord between green tea, jasmine and amber is decently sophisticated. The mint enhances the glamour feel of the creation. Not bad. The projection is notable.

hollycat's avatar

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Wow. Im a musk lover so this is bliss to me. Kiehls OM is a no nonsense musk. It reminds me of that movie... Perfume the story of a murderer when the crazy scentaphile collects the aroma's from all those beautiful women. OK maybe this is not the best idea to plant in ones head. My point is OM smells like a persons natural odor. Beautiful natural skin in all its glory. Interestingly I get no dirty notes from this as many have mentioned. On me OM turns into a clean, skin scent. No one knows Im wearing perfume when I wear this. One has to be very close to me to smell it and when they do they catch a whiff that is mistaken for my natural smell. I get no floral in this, on me its pure musk. Its quite earthy when first applied but the dry down keeps getting cleaner. Soon its just a pure musk. Heavenly. And I adore the apothacary style bottle. It really represents the scent very well.

Black Mask's avatar

Chancellor by Tru Fragrance

A very loud, persistent, one note fragrance that is like a crude, high pitched squeak of Cool Water. There is no variety or movement, no top, heart or bottom, and nothing going on but this one aqua screech.

Chancellor has all the subtlety and sophistication of a blinding headache. However, its blaring smell is reminiscent of lighter, much more delicate fragrances that use a refined variation of this water/sport smell, and so the unitiated might be attracted to this on first try. Beware.

In short, it could have been pleasant if it didn't reek.

CoL's avatar

Jennifer Aniston / Lolavie by Jennifer Aniston

Surprisingly, this is a very well done green/floral fragrance. As usual, I feel it's quite unisex but then I always do! Starts out with a burst of citrus accompanied by a hint of the green leaves of the citrus grove. As it settles a floral accord comes through but not a girly skipping in the daisies floral, a sensible restrained and rather beautiful lily/jasmine. As far as celebrity scents go, this really has the feel of real work and attention to detail. I believe Jennifer really did put a lot of effort into the creative angle of this scent, and it shows. Comes off quite natural and lasts very well. All round thumbs up from me for sure!

Black Mask's avatar

1776 Russian Leather by Elsha

This is one of my standby fragrances. It is a very comfortable and friendly leather of unexpected distinction that opens with a cinnamon and birch tar top that stays along for the dry down. The fragrance has pleasant, warm and ambery emanations once it opens up and develops. The birch remains but mixes with leathery musk. Always light for a leather, and smooth, it is persistent while it stays close to the skin. Part of its enduring charm is that an 8 oz splash bottle can be acquired for about $42 delivered from Sampters Mens Store: http://www.sampters.com/detail.php?item=91&categoryid=1

This is cheaper than buying directly from th Elsha site.

Sampters also carries the 4 oz bottle for half the price. And an after shave which I never bothered to try. Why buy any other variation that 8 oz in a substantial splash bottle that is pleasant to use at $42 delivered? One of the best buys in perfumery. This is not a cheap scent like so many small clothing store fragrances. Sampters also carries Lenel, and a number of other inexpensive fragrances of limited local men's store distribution.

Elsha 1776 is a flask of a different matter. It has been around for decades. It is very good, and an even better buy. Get some.

hollycat's avatar

Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior

Grapefruit and pinapple are the main notes I smell in this perfume. The overall effect I get is that of scented body lotion. Not bad, but not good either. One thing this scent has going for it is that its not very sweet. Any modern pink perfume that can refrain from piling on the sweetness deserves some credit. The verdict? Not for me obvoiously. But I think that a teenager or young twenties something would enjoy this scent for its clean, pink, shampoo, shower fresh scent.

DonnaMaree's avatar

Eau des 4 Reines by L'Occitane

I first purchased Eau de 4 Reines about 10 years ago. That first experience evokes the
    same feeling today. So clean and fresh and rosy... like walking through a rose garden after a heavy summer downpour. I love this perfume and whilst it is only an eau de toilette, I find myself catching small but pleasant flashes of this wonderful scent 7 or 8 hours into the day.
    Here's to the fabulous 4 .... may you never change.

Oscar by Oscar de la Renta

Oscar is warm and inviting, richly sweet and a wonder in that it doesn't seem to me like a product of its time. The downside is I find it far too powdery, to the point of nuisance. Other than that, no problem. Performance here is very good, and I would readily recommend this (especially for evening or formal wear) to those who aren't thrown by powder or potency.

Essence Rare by Houbigant

Murky, dour and cloying upon application and improving only with its gradual disappearance. Dark green and mildewy-wet. This is an old-fashioned gem I'd sooner hawk than flaunt. Even so, I'll give it a neutral in the event I simply have a spoiled sample. I really do hope that is the case.

Moments by Priscilla Presley

My dark secret comes to light - I have a bit of a bias against white florals. And this certainly is one. The eye-watering level of aldehydes racing from the top doesn't improve my stance on the matter. And instead of relaxing slowly into itself, the sweet, fruity aspects actually begin to grow louder for a good twenty minutes. At this point I'm an olfactory wreck and I stop paying attention for a while. Only because I didn't immediately scrub my skin right off (it had crossed my mind) did I discover a surprisingly pleasant base- one which is rather 70's in style and considerably masculine. It's like a good scent was wearing a scary costume and making annoying noises at me until it stopped getting a reaction and revealed itself once the joke was up. Neat, but I'm in no hurry to do that again.

Tatiana by Diane Von Furstenberg

Tatiana smells to me like days-old vase water that housed tuberose and bitter dandelion stalks, and is rescued only by a light amber sweetness and a whisper of rose. I understand the draw of a floral genre, but this is too literal for me. It's like I just ruined someone's garden with my forearm.

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

I was not expecting to like this one, but I do. There have been many like it, but small details poke out of the structure in a forget-me-not gesture of brilliant subtlety. The pineapple in the opening is among these, and the base is deliciously attractive and a little smoky-leathery. I'll bet if you removed the floral heart notes this would be a killer masculine.
    I'm wary of trying the current formulation, though...

Eau de Givenchy by Givenchy

It's funny comparing 1980's idea of 'light and fresh' to today's.
    The Berga-Mint opening reminds me a little of Paco Rabanne's XS, and EdG performs barely any better, but the ingredients seem okay. Not too much going on other than that light grapefruit-bergamot-mint that quickly blows away and leaves what is basically the scent equivalent of an afterimage of white floral and vague wood. This fragrance is devoid of any personality.

This might serve as my signature 'forgettable scent,' were that not really an oxymoron.

Starring by Avon

Sweet God, this is awful. Plasticy raspberry froot candle complete with a grotesque waxy accord crowned with unspeakably cheap-smelling aldehydes. I would sooner recommend the X-Men spray scents for kids.
    Avon, please tell me this was just the result of Let Your Kids Manage Your Work Day.

Jontue by Revlon

Like a child with a little change pumping his or her first Slush Puppy (Try a pump or two of every flavor! That has to be awesome!), Revlon tries to fit every flower at hand into a single bottle. If you, the reader, have ever fallen victim to the one-of-each approach to frozen drink mixing you can probably imagine how well Jontue works.

TropiRock's avatar

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Yet another nice fragrance from L'Occitane. Spicy, woody (but not as much as I would like), amber/vanilla base. I normally don't like sweet base notes, but I find it acceptable in Eau des Baux because the ride from top to bottom was so enjoyable. Longevity is unbelievable - all day and into the night. Good stuff at a good price.

manicboy's avatar

Jacomo de Jacomo by Jacomo

They still make this? Why yes, yes they do! Dark and rough around the edges, kind of like that black leather motorcycle jacket you've had buried in your closet for the past 15 years. Plenty of cloves, oak moss and musk to prove that you're still a man, this is not for the faint of heart. Cinnamon & patchouli give JdJ some depth between the heavy cloves and the animalic musk. Not for every man but surely a guilty pleasure to wear and enjoy for the informed few.

PradaG's avatar

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

This is my "Holy Grail" as well as my signature. I love everything about this fragrance EXCEPT the fact that it is so expensive since being discontinued and the majority of the ones on the online market are fakes so beware. This is one of the few scents I close my eyes to while taking a slow sniff and exhale a whispered "ahhhhhhh". Beastly longevity and silage I give this unique scent a 10/10.

Poppy65's avatar

1000 Kisses Deep by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

This was instant winner for me. I love orange scents on me but sometimes they can be overpowering, this really is such a gentle blossom smell it really feels like you are out for a walk on a spring day rolling in the blossom with the one you love! Later in the wear I get macaroons and powder which also smells yummy. I find I relate to Simon Constantine's perfumes! Since I have been learning about perfumes I can get very overwhelmed with complex scents and it bothers me when I can't pick out all the notes! But I like that with his scents I know what I'm smelling! It's probably because I am a novice but I find him very inspirational.

szatkown's avatar

London Cool by Rimmel London

I absolutely love this perfume...a very fresh and clean scent.

Essence by Narciso Rodriguez

Nice musk scent but the longevity is ridiculous...

It must have been designed for babies, toddlers, children and teenagers with a very acute sense of smell.

Neutral thumbs...!

Kaern's avatar

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Vetiver fragrances come in varying disguises, lemony, fresh, soapy, green, etc, but all fall under the genre of 'woody'. I suppose the clue is in the name here as Tom Ford's version is definitely lacking the sparkle and freshness of say Lubin's and Piver versions, but less harsh than the Etro's. Apart from the fleeting hints of citrus up top, the fragrance has a straightforward woody amber vibe -- the spices are pretty dulled imo. Not sure about the oakmoss note -- it's probably a lash up now. It's actually a pleasant fragrance to wear and reminds me a bit of the Prada Infusion vetiver. So, pleasant, but unspectacular.

ladymorrigan's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Esencia de Duende by J del Pozo

my favorite floral green, the one and only BIG complaint is: its TOOO friggin light :-((
    why they didn't create some elixir version of it!

usemyname's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

I loved this fragrance right from the start. It's one of the few fragrances that doesn't tire me even after consecutive wearings. 'Versatile' is pinpointing it's greatest asset.

Rating: 5/5

cello's avatar

Malabah by Penhaligon's

This opened with Penhaligon's usual clear citrus notes, mostly lemon. The earl tea note wraps itself around the lemon to produce a very authentic lemon tea accord. This was wonderful and fresh. Great opening!
    There was not really a clear mid section for me. A subtle rose, a hint of spice, but really just the remainder of the opening. The fragrance became much less present during this time, but the opening was so bright that it probably just got lost in the comparison.
    Sandalwood presents itself for the base, and it is a smooth pleasant sandalwood. I didn't really smell the amber, but it's likely contributing to the smoothness and adding just a touch of weight, although this stayed light on it's feet. Oriental in classification maybe, but I would almost consider this a warm weather option. Spring would be perfect.
    Malabah is subtle, with an amazing blast of an opening. And while it lost it's punch a bit midway, it was fresh and pleasant throughout. Enjoyable!

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

Beautiful masculine scent...truly magical...

Am I reminded of Terre d`Hermes...?

Perhaps...

Big thumbs up...!!!

Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne

This scent is delightful indeed...

True sensuality in liquid form...

It starts very subtle and citrusy, then the water lily and jasmine sambac reveal themselves...after an hour or so, it starts to settle into a gentle and sophisticated cedar and animalic musk...which is sensual and erotic...

Great longevity and sillage...

Big thumbs up...!!!

TeeTee's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Mandarine Mandarin by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This IS Tresor by Lancome! Add a little smokiness and you get Mandarine Mandarin. I am not going to paint some fairy tale and build up your expectations only for you to end up disappointed. I mean, I know how hard it is to get a hold of some SL so if there is a mall near you, go sample Tresor. If you like what you sniff from Tresor and want some smokiness then get Mandarine Mandarin.

I was in search of a deep, dry, complex and unique citrus scent (emphasis on dry and unique) and a lot of people recommended SL Mandarine but I ended up being reunited with Tresor. This is not a bad scent by any means but for me this was a let down. Tresor was one of my signature scents in high school. I was way ahead of my peers. No teenage fragrances for this girl lol! Anyways, I really really wanted something different.

The spices here are seriously deadened by the screaming caramel sugared mandarine so much so that you don't smell them unless you actively search. The smokey tea holds its own and nicely blends with the candied mandarine. In fact, I think the spices are mixed into the smokey tea and then added into the mandarine if that makes any sense. What I am trying to say is that whatever little spice is in there, I sniff them in the smoked tea and not in the candied mandarine. Smoked spiced tea + seriously candied mandarine= Mandarine Mandarin.

MARGOROGERS's avatar

Chaos by Donna Karan

This unusual fragrance has long been a favorite; not a particulary feminine type,
    but deeply mysterious, even a bit asexual in content. I noticed that it was
    available on line at astonishing high prices, but patience pays and now the
    original Chaos has been brought back into DK's line. It's distinctive bottle
    is gone - now in a slender black column. It's available at Neiman Marcus,
    only in EDP and under $100. Welcome home, Chaos!!

Harvitz81's avatar

Tricorn by Caswell-Massey

A spicy, sandalwood, vanilla concoction. The dry down reminds me of both chanel egoiste and L'Occitane Eav du Bavx, with the CM fitting somewhere between those two with a more pronounced cinnamon note. Longevity is great and overall this is a decent fragrance especially given the price point.