Fragrance Reviews from April 2011

twantooq's avatar

England England

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I have an odd relationship with this scent. I fell in love with it on first sniff but i find it just too overpowering to wear. I enjoy wearing it around the house when i'm not going out anywhere but i'm too concious of it's strength to wear it out these days. I used to wear it out when i was younger and didn't really care about others around me(!) but after several friends and perfect strangers consistantly told me it was awful i stopped wearing it. I'm aware that it is quite an obnoxious to most people but i love it's complexity and enjoy it from start to finish, in fact especially the following day when you notice the lingering scent on your clothes.

I think i love it in the same way i love my grandma's Lanvin Arpège. Obviously i don't wear her perfume but Arpège is such an amazing, complex and all-consuming fragrance and that's how i feel about BK, it could almost be a parfum, god forbid they ever make a parfum version though!

Ncd22's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I received this cologne as a gift from my fiancée.. She loves it. She loves the deep, musky, woodsy smell of it.. I hate it.
    Here's what I have to say about this frangrance.. First off I get very few notes with this one, right from the beginning I compared it to a pine tree air freshener.. But, I think that's a little harsh.
    This fragrance does have a soothing, relaxed feeling to it. It's never over powering which is nice, and lasts for as long as you decide to wear it..thumbs up. If you need a scent for a movie night or any 1 on 1 date it perfect and probably the only place it will get noticed....
    Just as an added comment.. I wear this the least of all my colognes but let me tell you.. Females for some reason LoVE this scent.. I've gotten more compliments on this then any other colognes I've worn....besides Armani.

karisuma's avatar

Jovan Satisfaction for Him by Jovan

I like it. Very inexpensive. Smells a bit common, but pleasant.

JonB's avatar

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet

Quite nice. I find it a bit smoother and a little more aromatic than 4711. For most of it's life, I smell neroli and rosemary. I never really get rose. As nice as this smells though, it's hard to get too excited due to it's short longevity. I know this is expected, but any nice smell deserves to last more than an hour. Try this before 4711.

hollycat's avatar

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

I love that this scent is a gourmand, yet not very sweet on me. The hazelnut and caramel accord sit on a base of the most perfect vanilla. I dont get the woods from this, just a delicious hazelnut coffee scent with a just the right amount of cream. Its warm and comforting. What you might smell in the air of a very quaint and classy coffee shop in......... What country makes the best coffee?

Spoombung's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Sweet, bland and vaguely fruity (although it is impossible to identify what fruit).

Whole lotta nuthin' going on...

hollycat's avatar

Hot Couture by Givenchy

Its like I just toured the Willy Wonka chocolate factory and got trapped in the cotton candy room and decided to jump into a vat of strawberry cotton candy. Pink sugar lovers will love this one. I think its great for my ten year old niece, but you wouldnt find me smelling like this unless I really did get the grand Willy Wonka tour.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Someone says "money don't make the difference", but sometimes they really make it and Carnal Flower is here to confirm it. This is the most evident result of how expensive raw materials can do in perfumery: really good. A luxurious, rich and straght in the face tuberose / floral compisition for people who like to show off and know how to do it with class. This is a very dangerous territory that can easly cross the border of vulgarity, but Mr. Ropion has magistrally balanced Carnal Flower to become a sublime blast of opulence. Solid and beautiful.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Incense Pure by Sonoma Scent Studio

Have you ever tried incense-inspired fragrances only to find them falling a little short? Too dry perhaps? Or too sweet? Too shortlived? Too safe? Too much going on, etc? Well your search for that elusive incense holy grail may very well end with Sonoma Scent Studio's uplifting, almost transcendent offering - INCENSE PURE. Might as well call it 'Incense Perfection' for this is Laurie Erickson at her finest. If I could only have one incense fragrance for the rest of my life, this would be it. It is THAT good.

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Lys Mediterranee is a sober composition that fits "the mediterranean bill". Good quality muguet and citrus skillfully orchestrated for an easy to wear spring / summer scent. Gentle and sweet musky drydown. Not a groundbreaking release but surely honest and well executed.

jalexhrovat's avatar

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

I've always been a big fan of the Bulgari fragrances. This one is no less good as any other. It inspires thoughts of previous pour homme fragrances from the designer. It is very elegant and classy; a great fragrance for work or a casual date. Longevity on my skin however is less than 2 hours, but sillage is moderate.

Two thumbs up regardless.

jalexhrovat's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Surprisingly, this is a very good fragrance from a designer that I frankly dislike. It reminds me very much of a mix of Calvin Klein Obsession and Gucci PH. Its great woody, manly fragrance thats good for the office or casual wear....or just as a regular personal signature fragrance if you like to have one like I do. It really doesn't change all that much from first application to dry down, but stays strong and prominent during its longevity; with is average to above average on my skin (about 4-5 hours). Warning, the stuff will stain a white shirt though; so be cautious as to wear you put it on.

Two thumbs way up.

kire1820's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

I read some good review and like the smell of it on paper. I bought this on perfumania online during a sale and the bottle I got was probably very old, or somehow different than the tester I used at sephora.

Anyway, on skin, this scent is less enjoyable. I compared the sephora bottle and the bottle I bought and they smell the same in the dry down. However, for some reason, when I use my bottle, the scent made me naseseous. I dont understand why. But anyway, there a chance my bottle maybe fake...I'll post pics later when I get home.

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

The opening is a floral / fruity buquet that has an acidic feel similar to a fruit salad left marinating for a whole day with a little sugar. In the drydown things get a little better with a shy note of tobacco recalling more of a tobacco leaf than an ashtray. Nothing spectacular or particularly interesting. I was so curious about this fragrance as I loved the concept behind it but, honestly, I expected something more challenging and uncompromising. All I got is an ok scent with a moderate sillage and no more than reasonable lasting power.

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

Casaque by Vermeil

I'm surprised that this has yet to be reviewed!

Nice and something about it reminds me of the more expensive Duc De Vervins from the big designer house of Houbigant.

If you are up in the air about this scent then I would recommend you jump in and get it!
    A more sophisticated scent but at a fraction of the price of similar colognes.

When I say more sophisticated don't think older just think capable of being used for formal occasions and good or better for cooler weather and P.M. hours of the day.

Nate1879's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

I've read books, and plenty of reviews of this one. I'll start the way these reviews always do, and say this, I can't say anything that hasn't been said.

I adore my vintage versions of this organic liquid. They've taken on a life of their own. I like the androgynous Eau Premiere, the EdT is classic, the extrait is divine, the EdP is a bit heavy (and my least favorite), but I love the masculinity of all of my coveted, hoarded, and much sought after bottles of EdC. I wear the old EdC, and continually baffle people when I respond that it's #5.

There is a #5 for everyone, and, at some point, you'll learn to like at least one of them.

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

How amazingly simple!!!! Yet sparkling,lively and almost sizzling like a bottle of shaken mineral water that is being opened.Made according to the logic of a common man - simple and efficient.Straight to the point kind of smell. Nothing that would make you fall into a heavy discussion with yourself just to figure out wheather you like it or not.Just like it...or not!Very 80's.Very "cologne" style.Nowdays they would consider this kind of smell something rather for a windowcleaner or toilet freshener than for a fine perfume. Includes all of those "male" ingredients: lemon,bergamot,basil,clary sage,lavender. Probably the only fragrance with an undisputably masculin lavender. Makes me quite nostalgic about the times when i was just a child and my grandfather used to wear something of this type of smell.To me this is what Dirty Harry would smell like.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A slightly cloying chocolate texture remains throughout MR, as though the notes existed within quite a narrow format. The accords are earthy and shifting, but all maintained within a very limited range. I would not say that I extract any great pleasure from wearing MR, it is more a case of spending time with a comforting presence.

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I normally approach a fragrance with the various forms of the word amber in the title with a sense of trepidation. There seems to be a tendency for the manufacturer to hoist the amber note onto its shoulders and try and wow you with its magnificence.

In the case of Ambre Précieux, I am happy to report no such hyperbole. It feels remarkably accessible, and the volume has been turned down considerably. Rather than show the sweet, cloying and pervasive tendencies of amber, here it just allows the resinous qualities to impress you. It’s a remarkably consistent presence, with occasional changes in accompaniment from supporting notes.

Even as an amber sceptic, I cannot fail to be impressed. It's a fragrance of considerable quality and maturity.

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

If I were judging Spezie on the top notes alone, I would be offering a revolver to the person responsible, and suggesting they do the decent thing. It really is an egregious phase, and bordering on the unbearable. I can only attempt at conjuring up the olfactory effect by comparing it to a blend of new faux leather and the close proximity of a fishmonger’s apron.

Remarkably, the middle and late stages of Spezie are as wonderful as the early parts are awful. Warm, spicy and extremely comforting, it is absolutely everything I would expect from an oriental , and more.

At its best, it is by far my favourite Villoresi fragrance, at its worst, I feel like walking into the ocean.

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The breathy bitterness in the opening reminds me of so many antiquated dandified fragrances from the past. It seems like a modern take on quite a classic theme. What does feel more modern is the later use of spices in a rather collaborative manner. It is never cluttered, and feels temperate and comforting, retaining a subtle bitterness throughout. My only slight reservation is that at times it feels a little contrived, but it is a minor criticism for an otherwise impressive fragrance.

irishgraham's avatar

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

Really love this one, and a huge compliment getter.

Starts off heavy masculine and smoky, then dries, and ends up a subtle and dark kind of ambre and leather mix. Very smooth, very deep, good for a dark suit in cold weather.

Its not boring, it is what it is, its heavy and upfront, not overly complex, my wife and pretty much any woman who has smelled this has loved it and I get asked more about this one than any other one I own.

irishgraham's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

THE POWER!!!!!

Yes yes yes. My Father's only cologne, reminds me of him appearing in the living-room about to go for dinner with my Mam wearing this for the one time they went out in a blue moon.

Loud, out-there, a celebration, completely unique and unlike anything else, crisp, summery without being watery, its truly a great mans frag.

Need to be a big character to get this one and not be afraid of being noticed.

Does it work for work?? I have had it in work a few times, people ask what it is and not a positive or negative reaction.

Buy it guys, and continue a legend.

rowanhill's avatar

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

This is a wonderful summer fragrance or a memory of a summer during the colder months. It transports me to my grandmother's summer house and garden, the smell of the tomato vines in the warm sun if front of a wooden wall, the coolness and smell of fresh water of the little rapids an a pond and the milky scents of food and baking from the kitchen.
    It is divine but I cannot wear it to work. It is so combined with dolce far niente that I probably could not get anything done. :-)

09 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2011)

KillerScent's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I just bought this yesterday (hard to find, by the way).
    I can feel the rubber note more at the beginning, but it does not last much, when it dries down you get a smooth scent, mostly based around a vanilla note.
    This fragrance is very soft to my nose, I expected something stronger .In fact it would be a greater fragrance if it had more power .This fragrance reminds me a softer version of Fahrenheit (but much much soft)
    Longevity is nearly average, not great thing .
    At Bulgari's website you can see this is a MEN's fragrance, but this can be perfectly unisex.

Above all, this is a great fragrance, that could be improved adding more power and strength.

UPDATED: April, 13, 2011
    After having used it for some days, I've changed my mind .
    Projection is nearly absent, nobody notices when you wear it, even my nose doesn't notice. As other reviewers say , after 30 minutes it loses all its strenght and after 3 hours you smell nothing.
    In politics and life, when you try to please two opposite groups everybody gets unsatisfied. The same happens with Black. It is not too strong (soft leather, vanilla) to please women and not too weak to satisfy men .But it goes nowhere.
    Another thing I dislike is the transparent package, letting the bottle being affected by light.
    I would give this fragrance a thumbs down, but the scent (very soft) is still great.Let's be neutral.
    I want my money back!!
    My marks:
    -Scent : 8
    -Longevity: 5
    -Projection: 3

TERRE D'HERMES KEEPS THE CROWN

09 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2011)

silentrich's avatar

Black by Pierre Cardin

Plain and simple it's an inexpensive and nice smelling fragrance. Sillage, projection, and longevity are moderate, but it's decent for an EdC. I actually wear this one more than I thought and works well in hot weather.

09 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2011)

Aramis by Aramis

Another piece of history to never forget. Aramis is one of those classic male fragrances that hasn't aged at all and is still miles ahead of tones and tones of today's masculines. An archetipal powerhouse leather-chypre built on juxtapositions to increase its charm. A rough-sweet / bold-sharp / cheap-elegant character many times emulated but almost never achived from other perfumes of the same family.

No need to go through notes explanation as this scent should be somehow familiar to everybody (maybe you wore it, maybe your fathers, your grandads, uncles, friends, it depends on your age). But if you have never get in contact with this fragrance and you're looking for a classic masculine from the past that haven't aged at all go for Aramis, NOW!

09 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 August, 2011)

Eau de Cologne by Chanel

When I first saw this perfume in a Chanel boutique I was visiting I immediately thought I was just about to smell another micro-variation on the main theme. Another one among billions. I was WRONG! This cologne is simply one of the best around. Yes, it's really a micro variation on the main theme but a substantial one and, more percisely, the one that make it smells contemporary and classic at the same time avoiding the aged and stereotyped feel that many compositions of the same family too often show.

The opening is with a tart and realistic lemon enriched by herbaceous notes. It's really hard to explain it as on one hand it's exactly what you would expect from a cologne, but on the other hand it's not "that obvious". What makes the real difference between Chanel's EDC and others are the conspicuous use of green notes and the overall fizzy vibe, not to talk about the outstanding quality of the ingredients. Delightful. The drydown is musky, very gentle but not too mannered. The overall effect is of a tremendous and very easy to wear modern cologne. My only disappointment is for the lasting power (no more than 2 hours), but it's still perfect for daywear during the hottest months of the year. Go heavy on the trigger...

09 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2012)

Jridgen's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Here are my two cents. Armani code was one of my first fragrance purchases (Coaxed strongly from girlfriend). That I would describe as the gist of the fragrance: women do seem to like it quite a bit. For me it tends to get a bit boring and linear.

Midnight in Paris does the same thing but blows this away. Not purchase worthy IMO.

09 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 November, 2012)

silentrich's avatar

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

The most versatile out of the pure line and probably the entire men's line. One thing that needs to be mentioned is that this doesn't have the typical heavy tobacco note. This is much greener and to be honest it's actually a lot more accurate of a tobacco note. What really makes this special is the way the tobacco is balance with the honey, vanilla, and cacao. Delicious combination of notes and blending. Many fragrances with these same notes (or just a few of them), are on the heavy side. That brings me to the versatility. This sits on the skin perfectly and even on 90 degree plus days this never becomes cloying. Projection and longevity are both average to good. One of the best in the Pure line and one of the best tobacco based fragrances on the market.

09 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2013)