Latest Perfume Reviews

Graham Cracker by Demeter Fragrance Library

The opening phase expresses the cracker's aroma very nicely, with the wheat-based aroma being achieved quite convincingly and is blending in well with the cinnamon, which is the other core note.

Further into the drydown vanilla rises as the overall impression becomes sweeter, and a honeyed undertone is added on gradually. The wheat-notes becomes less prominent with time; and towards the end I mainly get the vanilla-honey duo, which is fading away very slowly.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a very impressive eleven hours of longevity on my skin.

Whilst this wintery scent is probably a bit sweeter than the original Graham cracker towards the end, initially it hits the spot quite well, and the performance is very good. Quite artificial-synthetic but tolerably so. 3/5.
21st October, 2017

Haitian Vetiver by Ermenegildo Zegna

Haitian Vetiver is bright, fresh and uplifting, quite similar to Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver but a bit greener and a tad woodier. The principal accord is the bergamot-neroli-vetiver that lasts a long time before joining a whispering iris. The vetiver note bright, clean, sharp and not at all rooty or earthy. Sillage and duration are around average, though not as good as the Tom Ford; however there is a greater focus on vetiver and it is more refined and elegant.

Overall a nice, fresh, clean vetiver that I cannot get terribly excited about. The dry down is somewhat subdued and a little boring.

21st October, 2017

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens

A Patchouli between Coromandel and PG L'Ombre Fauve with a Fumerie Turque smokiness.
The overall feel has me much like FT feeling sepia non bright tone. Has the Chocolate of Coromandel and none of the Pastry. Dry Tobacco with a background of vague sweetness in the canvas. It captures a whisper of the animalic lactose sweatiness of L'Ombre Fauve with a slightly more complex finish. The glittery gold bits of Coromandel are absent ,however the Cacao puts this into the Gourmand. A fave of the Lutens for me, however the the other two fulfill my needs for this type of Patchouli.
20th October, 2017 (last edited: 21st October, 2017)

Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient by Guerlain

Why am I just finding out about this. I love it. I have been looking for a fragrance that will replace my Parure Extrait. EMdO starts out in the same musty plummy way even though I can’t see the notes listed as being the same.
I wish I had discovered this one sooner.

Cuir Cannage by Christian Dior

An extremely well done floral leather, in the same vein of Knize Ten and Cuir de Russie. Lacks the powerful petroleum-like accord of the former, and the aldehydes and the ultra-chic sophistication of the latter. The leather is that of handbags and fine leather shoes, and the floral blend has a hint of rose. There is a nice touch of iris, not powdery, balancing the leather. It is very refined, but perhaps not as much as the Chanel. I see Cuir Cannage as an improvement on current Cuir de Russie in terms of volume, which is too thin. However, it is also most stereotyped of the lot, and at times boring. Knize Ten (or Golden Edition) is more engaging, especially if one likes the bold aspects. Sillage is low key and duration is okayish. In this family my easy favourite is actually Cuir Mauresque that adds a balsamic twist to this plot to make things a lot more engaging, and is also more potent than any of these.

Cuir Cannage came out in 2014, interestingly the same year as Hermes released Cuir d'Ange. The two are very different, with only leather being the common thread. Cuir d'Ange is much lighter, with heliotrope, delicate, crisp and even more elegant but eventually too fleeting. I make this comparison because they can be like the leather fragrance for day (Cuir d'Ange) and the leather fragrance in the evening (Cuir Cannage). Ignoring sillage and duration, Cuir d'Ange is also more lovely.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Cherry incense rose.
Spicy waxy floral mess.
Synthropologie.

Hot Toddy by Demeter Fragrance Library

From the first monents of the opening blast on this is quite a good rendering of a Hot Toddy cocktail. The boozy rum note is quite nicely done, as the is the cinnamon as a matter of fact. The cinnamon blends in nicely with the booziness, and at times a glimpse of lemony freshness is also present.

Further into the drydown, a spicy undertone emerges that takes on characteristics of nutmeg at times. Otherwise the development does not go much further on me, and this creation's glowing warmth is fading out very slowly at the end.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a splendid twelve hours of longevity on my skin.

A pleasant winter warmer, quite synthetic but as an attempt to create an olfactory equivalent to the drink this concept is crafted well. Combined with the excellent performance a positive score is warranted. 3.25/5

Tan-Tan by Coquillete Paris

A courageous idea of aromatic failure. Coquillette Paris Tan-Tan is (for long but thankfully not tout court ) another post-modern perfumed "anti-perfume". Dusty, dissonant, strident, leafy, chemical, electrically crazy. Opening (the less creepy part) is by soon intensely floral and prickly-herbal before to become plastically off-putting, sticky and synthetically dusty. The plastic/xerox toner-like smell a la CdG Odeur 71/Odeur 53 is evident, sour-green, acid and vaguely resinous in its floral background. I smell sticky white lymph, coniferous resins, petroleous rubber, dry florals and "a discount kind of leather" (milky/resinous). I detect several incensey/dusty un-liturgical aromatic facets (cold and impersonal) as well, combined with shopper bag-plastic, "liquid woods" (metallic and dry) and rubbed herbs, like smelling on skin a sort of watered down plastic/herbal/floral Durbano Black Tourmaline with figgy/leathery/piney disturbing nuances and with no trace of elegy.
P.S: dry down affords a significant improvement since the juice reduces its rubbery/leafy/dusty facets becoming a more properly leather-floral (almost fur-like) accord with classic woody-leathery-musky-floral elements.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extrême / Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

L'Instant pour Gourmet
At the crossroad of senses,
Confectionism.

Everything & Nothing No. 10 by Tokyo Milk

Raspy.
Bitter.
Tart.
Medicinal.

Does not work on my skin. Too masculine. The dry down is so-so.

CAaastagna_saalaaata by Hilde Soliani Profumi

Almost but not quite gourmand. It's subverted just slightly from gourmand...painting an almost fantastical scene in my mind rather than food notes. I find all the elements weave around me, constantly evocative rather than evolving over time. The roasted chestnut is clear and natural to me, nothing artificial.

Wearing CAaastagna_saalaaata gives me the sensation that I'm walking by a roasted chestnut vendor set up on the beach in a cove of the Mediterranean; the chestnuts are fresh, not fully roasted yet, not burnt or dark. The ocean is gently briny and the air is warm. The vendor salts the chestnuts with sea salt as I walk past. I can feel the sand between my toes and don't want to leave this moment.

Friendly and accessible, CAaastagna_saalaaata manages to be creative and unexpected yet feel like an organic combination. It's a sign of how good it is when you think, how come no one thought of this before?

Gold Man by Amouage

I only read the reviews for this one after testing it, and they had me laughing out loud; so many of you poor boys were horrified and insulted by this fragrance! I kind of understand the shocked reactions, but I definitely don't agree.

So on to the scent: The resemblance to Gold woman (which I own and love) is clear from the get go. There's a similarity in the bright, floral opening, which is dominated by a strong lily of the valley note. However, there's also a darker undertone present that I don't get in Gold woman: incense and civet are lurking around the corner.

The combined effect is properly stunning and for me both familiar and unfamiliar, which keeps me on my toes. Going forward, the scent seems to have two faces, alternating between Gold man: the floral-powdery-soapy-with-an-incense-twist-twin-of-Gold-woman, and Gold man: a reincarnation of a deeply animalic vintage floral.

The former is quite comfortable and familiar to me, while latter is a remarkable experience. In those moments I feel like I'm wearing something of bygone days that should come in a tiny crystal bottle with a hefty IFRA warning. It's probably the civet, which can't possibly be the real thing, but it's extremely convincing. It actually smells a little like Bal a Versailles, but with a more exotic undertone due to the strong incense base.

I think this stage especially fantastic, and it makes me want to try all the animalic vintage florals. My credit card is crying foul already.

So in conclusion: this is probably not for everyone, but do try it, it's quite the experience. It's also very potent, so handle with care!

L'Art et la Matière : Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

It smells not exactly like suede, but it smells like a high end store that sells suede. It's delicious, opulent, and a little smokey. There's a lot of depth to the scent. It's also quite long lasting.

I'd call this perfume is my long lost love. I discovered it in an Oliver Polge sampler set and it sent me down a rabbit hole of trying any and all Guerlains, but no other was as lovely.

It became my most expensive perfume buy last year and I was initially disappointed at the new bottle. Fresh and from the atomizer, it has a very bright amaretto note. It made me worry that there was a reformulation or even that my initial sample had been compromised. Luckily, a knowledgeable friend suggested that I try decanting into roller ball bottle and apply that way. It really does smell better dabbed or rolled on compared to the spray. Also, now that the perfume has aged a year it has definitely settled down to match my original decant.

Gin & Tonic by Demeter Fragrance Library

Yes, in the opening blast there is a gin-and-tonic impression quite evident. As G+T goes, is is not very exciting; more the aroma of the rather thin, old and stale Genever, but the tonic has a touch of fizz - fizzed out it is though after about an hour.

I get about an hour of a nonspecific chemical cocktail afterwards, a concoction worthy of a spill on the laboratory floor the day after. The total longevity of two hours is not exactly impressive. The sillage is weak and the projection just adequate.

A him spring scent of a certain pallor and abysmal performance. Not bad but, not much more either. 2.25/5.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Halston is clearly a less well-known name in the UK, but alas the joys of these boards is easy to hunt out scents that you've never heard of. Z-14 is one such scent, as is the designer house of Halston.

Not wanting another cypress/chypre, I reluctantly tried the current version. Let's just say the connections to big red gum are totally justified. Cinnamon in a bottle. You might be forgiven for wanting to dust your rice pudding with it!

Vintage on the other hand, even something I would class as semi-vintage, is clearly on another level. Woody, resinous, potent and long-lasting (and yes, with some cinnamon in there - but not a truck load), this is another one of those scents that any chypre lover should vie to try at least once in their life time. It’s hard to believe that this scent is so affordable. Two sprays are enough to last a whole working day. Projection is quite strong. Wearers should expect their clothes to smell of the mossy accord for days later.

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration by Yves Saint Laurent

An oakmoss-rich, packed full of light herbs, citrus and luscious woods, YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration is perhaps one of the longest-lasting designer scents of all time.

It's been well over 30 years since this gem came out and in my opinion was way ahead of its time. Chanel had Pour Monsieur, Dior had Eau Sauvage, Givenchy had Monsieur de Givenchy, so the bar was set quite high for YSL to compete with. But they came out with this!

Of all the 'homme' or 'monsieur' fragrances this one cuts above them all in my opinion. Fresh yet slightly dirty, smooth yet herbaceous, strong but not overpowering and very long lasting, Haute Concentration oozes quality and class.

I have the first edition bottle, with the large YSL letters on the bottle and the box. But despair not! Vintage is not the only way to go these days. The regular YSL Pour Homme in the La Collection square bottles is remarkably similar to the vintage and now long-discontinued Haute Concentration.

I'll never be without a bottle of this as it is just too classy to skip over. A thumbs up and an easy 5/5 for me.

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Sahara Noir is easily Tom Ford's best scent. And not just in his favourite category, the oriental.

With a ludicrous marketing campaign Sahara Noir was doomed to fail from the beginning, so thank heavens for the vintage market! What was going through their heads when this was brought out, I can't even come to imagine.

This is an incense (frankincense) scent through and through. In fact I waited for ages before writing this review until I could get to try some true incense (the type that is burned, usually in a church) before reviewing this scent. There is little else going on here - it's frankincense from beginning to end and hence the progression is minimal, if it’s even there. Incense, medicinal, meditative and to me the sort of gift a wise man would be carrying on the way to Bethlehem.

Projection and longevity are both nuclear, which makes it a shame that this scent is now discontinued.

For those looking for incense, this should be your starting point and it may well be where you end up staying. It's just a shame this house can't produce anything quite as good and keep it on the shelves.

Rozy Eau de Parfum by Vero Profumo

If you have Nahema of Guerlain, ( or its easier/cheaper to purchase) then you can skip this one. It has the same bright sparkly opening and the drydown is very similar too. The same tone so to speak. I find Nahema a bit nuttier and more buttery in the drydown, but they are so similar that I dont find the need to own them both.

Sélection Verte by Creed

Without a doubt, one of the hidden gems by Creed. Just unfortunate that you have to invest in 250ml in order to get some from them.

Selection Verte is one of the few fresh summer scents that contain little or no citrus. The focus here (to my nose) is mint and ambergris (read ambrox). The mint is put together very well, long lasting and yet bold and ready to make a statement.

It's silage and longevity are quite good. It's easy to overspray which only results in anosmia, but otherwise the scent could easily last 6-8 hours.

I get a really strong menthol-like cooling sensation when I first apply it, meaning this is strictly a summer scent for me, but it could work as a comfort scent after a warm bath or shower.

I've gradually used up a bit from my bottle, which I think speaks for itself. Nothing seductive or out-of-the-ordinary about it, just a perfect scent for warm weather that I won't be bored of for some time. I've used it in hot Mediterranean climates year in, year out and it works a treat. Just what you need in the heat when you don't want to be drowned in a warm scent. Delicious!

Pour Un Homme Millésime 2014 by Caron

The Caron Pour un Homme line has long been a respected classic. Arguably one of the first men's scents, Pour un Homme definitely beats the norm of a traditional cologne. No citrus as such, traditional woods like patchouli or oakmoss (that's obvious) and no hint of vetiver either.

Instead, it mixes three simple 'notes': lavender, vanilla and amber. Yet it still remains a classic fougere, comprising of the usual notes that make up this genre - that is, lavender and coumarin/tonka bean (that's the vanilla/amber to you and me). What's even more strange is that I can detect each and every note.

I have no idea what past editions or vintages may have smelled like, but having tried the current EdT of the classic, this Millesime 2014 special edition is definitely more pronounced and holds quite well. I've struggled to find a time to wear this scent, though originating in the early 20th Century I can see men in bow ties wearing this to the opera or formal dinners.

I wasn't necessarily a fan of lavender but got a bottle as I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Alas, Pour un Homme is a classic cologne for men - lovers of lavender will drool over it, as will fans of raw vanilla scents.

Progression is good but the scent doesn't change much, other than the amber becoming a little more pronounced.

La Douceur de Siam by Parfums Dusita

I have tried samples of six of the Dusita perfumes, and they are all high quality and good. My favourites are Issara plus this one.

The fragrance manages to capture a tropical garden in bloom here in Bangkok - frangipani, ylang-ylang and champaca - what a feat! There is also a rose element that grows stronger and stronger after some time. There is probably some jasmine and tuberose in it, but I am glad Dusita managed to turn it into a bouquet smelling of Thailand's tropical flowers. I haven't put my nose to a fragrance that smells similar so it is quite unique in my opinion.

Due to the floral aspect, it leans towards feminine, but I think it can be applied by anyone who wants to celebrate the scents of tropical flowers.

Tactics by Shiseido

The old fragrant path
Recalls much, forgets little.
No school like old school.

Oriental Lounge by The Different Company

This is what I wear when I would like to have a dimmer switch on my Tom Ford Amber Absolute.

Now, having said that, let me be clear that they are not the same scent - this is more feminine. I agree with other reviewers, which is what made me think this would be the amber I needed for "regular" wear. I would NOT have my husband wear this - it really does lean too feminine in my opinion, and I would not wish to smell this on a man.

I have no explanation looking at the notes listed as to why this should NOT work on a man, except it must be the way in which the notes/materials are blended. It's just light, and suggests womanly beauty...there is nothing here that even hints at masculine angles.

I'd like to wear this with a long green velvet gown.
Kotori Show all reviews

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

Whoah! Aldehydes! Those are new for Shalimar. It takes me a minute or two to be able to recognize any Shalimar here. At first it's a sharp-sweet aldehydic floral and while I know there is likely bergamot, it's hard to detect. After a bit that tonka/leather/vanilla thing that is Shalimar's base arrives, and I can make the flanker connection. The citrus is brighter-- more like a tangerine note than the lemon/bergamot for which Shalimar is famous. The citrus I can detect is more reminiscent of the bright, aldehydic citrus in No. 5 L'Eau. Later, a heavy dose of white musk announces its presence loudly. Finally, a patchouli note sashays in and steals the spotlight.

This is a far less citric and astringent Shalimar, with the tonka and white noise turned up and the smoke, citrus, and rich vanilla turned down. It's not as dark, bright, or sweaty as Shalimar. I like this better than Shalimar Soufflé; it's not as thin. It's fine-tuned to attract the gourmand-loving 20- and 30-somethings to whom things like Black Opium were directed. It's lovely, and I think I'd like it a lot if I weren't expecting it to be Shalimar.

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

Montana Parfum d'Homme, on the surface, is a spicy aromatic fragrance with an emphasis on the herbal-spicy aspects. It's difficult to discern it in terms of notes, as it is densely blended and very well-crafted; there is a floral note in there, but is wrapped in all the dense, green and dry elements, and an accord that hints at tobacco and leather. On my skin this tobacco-leather accord takes over after the initial burst of spices, and persists into the later stages of dry down, where it becomes more leathery. This is leather component is spicy, rustic, akin to spices and tobacco wrapped in leather, and there is a green element that accompanies throughout, eventually revealing a slight mossy character. On my skin Parfum d'Homme lasts a good six hours, and sillage is close but persistent.

Parfum d'Homme appears very similar to Havana, one of my favourites, but there are some differences. Havana is oilier, while Parfum d'Homme is more dry. Havana has a greater emphasis on tobacco, even more dense and spicy (prominent bay), and the tobacco makes Havana just a tad sweeter (relatively). Parfum d'Homme is slightly more refined in demeanour, and the leather is more pronounced in the late development.

While I am partial to Havana, Parfum d'Homme is an excellent choice for anyone looking to spice up slightly their daily perfuming regimen.

3.5/5

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I've worn this for around 20 years now.This one is hard for me to put into words.

Let me just say...masterpiece.

Shooting Stars: Kobe by Xerjoff

My first Xerjoff and one I am surprised has remained below my radar for a while.

A gorgeous floriental. One of the most long-lasting neroli (orange blossom) scents I can ever imagine, with a slightly oud-like woody/ambery dry-down.

I went through a 20ml decant over this summer and have already cracked open my 100ml bottle. Projection is superb as is longevity.

It will possibly be my last Xerjoff though as well as my first. I haven't been impressed with the new bottles, neither does the smell of a reformulation excite me much. A definite thumbs up though.

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

Everyone knows of or has smelled the original Acqua di Gio. It was the smell of the late 90s for quite some time. Some teenagers still swear by it. A great summery aquatic.

Profumo however is Acqua di Gio for year-round, all ages, all occasions enjoyment. I first tried and bought my bottle in the spring and it went down really well. Now that the weather is getting cooler though, I really see the benefits of this one.

Acqua di Gio with ambrox as I like to call it, Profumo is for those that hated the original. Like me, I don't like smelling like everyone else, but it's definitely unique enough given what is currently out there.

Another one where 'a little goes a long way', so try not to overspray. It tends to disappear and reappear throughout the day, but I can still smell whiffs of it on me at evening shower point (usually 12hrs plus since applying).

If there is incense in the base, it has been blended very well with the sage and rosemary notes (which I love by the way), though I can't pick them out individually.

All in all, a great year-round, crowd-pleasing scent at an affordable price point if you look around a bit.

Antaeus by Chanel

I've often gone through many bottles of scent before settled on something for sure. Often this means much sampling, wearing in different settings, weather and so on. It takes a while for me to like a scent but alas we often get the kick when we least expect it and from the least obvious person or association.

Antaeus to me was dismissed many years ago as a "grandpa" scent as a cousin of mine once said. But that's when Chanel produced duds and before I became a fragrance freak.

It was the concept brought about by "Ambra" of Acqua di Parma's signle note collection that made me wonder "rose and leather - really?". I hated the AdP for its content of norlimbanol but the idea stuck in my head that this had been thought of before. Reading a blog later that month dawned on me that this was indeed a case of deja vu - Antaeus!

The slightly rosey, beeswaxy, leathery and soapy-clean scent that I dismissed before, trying and re-trying to understand or like is what caught my eye (nose?) not long before.

As luck would have it, I stumbled on a vintage bottle of the regular EdT (not the Sport version). It's not that far off the current stuff (2017 - well done Chanel!) and the strength of this means you need to go easy on the trigger. It's perfect for casual or formal. You get whiffs of it throughout the day and my young kids think it makes me smell like I've just got out of the shower. What a scent! Way ahead of its time and that soapy clean/rose/beeswax combination make this quite unique. Perfectly balanced and do be enjoyed responsibly (i.e. in reasonable doses).