Fragrance Reviews from April 2011

SirScent's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I have to give Drakkar a thumbs up for its longevity and it's ability to transcend generations.
    It's not a favorite in my wardrobe, but it does still intrigue me from time to time for it's fresh, spicey and masculine vibe.
    Lemon is listed in the top notes but after years of wearing this, I still haven't found the lemon.
    On an interesting note, I have a new bottle and an older bottle. The older bottle smells
    much richer and finer without the annoying soapiness I find in the new bottle.

Lomani has been compared to Drakkar and yes it is similar but not as woodsy and spicey.
    Actually I prefer Lomani for warmer weather and Drakkar for the cooler months.
    Drakkar is still as popular as it was upon it's introduction so many years ago.
    That says quite a bit about this powerhouse from Guy Laroche.

gatorNY's avatar

Central Park by Bond No. 9

Just bought a bottle today. One of my favorite warm weather fragrances. Crisp, clean, green opening that settles down to a long lasting fresh woodsy green experience with the slightest whisper of patchouli. This and Eau de New York are my favorite Bond fragrances for work. I highly recommend this, and even though my partner works at Saks, I have no problem paying full price for this at the Bond No. 9 store. It's that good.

Anup's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

This is a fresh fragrance. Don't make it out to be a bad thing.

This is what fresh is ment to be. Not something they've copied to make a quick buck.

Musty, with alot of zip. A sort of metallic finish leads you out of the post 2050's night club with a hint of sweetness.

Anup's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

The high notes in this scent lead you into a much deeper bible of aroma, a smooth journey seemingly cut short only by how many ML's you have left in the bottle ;) .

I have nothing to say other than this; If you have the money, and are on the edge on a new scent to try, GET THIS ONE!!!

crapshoot's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I actually quite like this scent. It's both citrusy and woodsy and doesn't smell too synthetic. Longevity is an issue, but my biggest gripe is that this smells so similar to Terre d'Hermes. Has anyone noticed that?

Mimosaïque by Nicolaï

Caveat: I’ve never smelled mimosa, so I can’t compare Mimosäique to the flower.

Mimosäique isn’t so much pale or wan as it is weak. It starts with a pretty, soapy note that seems somehow more fruity, though not sweet, than floral. It actually reminds me of the flower/apple scent of chamomile essential oil, both the German and the Roman varieties. It’s a very pretty note, but within 15-20 minutes all that’s left is the vague scent of a weak chamomile tisane.

Fig Tea by Nicolaï

I don’t quite get this one. I detect a sweet anise/licorice note and a non-specific fruity/floral feel, but neither of the notes in the name, nor any of the notes in the de Nicolai press (osmanthus, davana, jasmine.) I guess what’s listed as an osmanthus note could be showing up as a peachy sweetness, but if so I’m only finding the fruitiness, not the flower.

Fig-Tea could be used as a cologne-style summer fragrance, but over time it trades freshness for sweetness, winding up with more sugar than flavor. There is an interesting similarity to Aurelian Guichard’s Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella for Guerlain. The floral/anise tune common to each takes different paths, though. Rather than Fig-Tea’s sweeter and fruitier turn, Anisia Bella starts with more complexity (I know, surprising for an AA) and grows cooler, more powdery over time.

Fleur de Santal by Sinfonia di Note

Skip the fleur. I don’t find anything floral here. Fleur de Santal is a noble effort to recreate the scent of sandlewood oil. I appreciate the attempt to give a breather to this overharvested beauty, but good intentions don’t necessarily lead to success.

I suspect a number of components were used to make this formula, each one ideally lending a specific quality to recreate the penetrating lushness of sandlewood. I could be entirely wrong on the actual ingredients, but here’s how it seems to me. Cedar for the feel of moist wood. Lactones and musks for a milky quality and rounded sweetness. Benzoin and vanilla to flesh it out and give some boozy voluptuousness. (Patchouli? I can’t quite tell.) Unfortunately these various elements lend more than the one attitude they were called upon for and the focus gets lost. Overall, FdS leans too heavily on the gentle creaminess and comes off as simply sweet rather than rich.

Leo the Zen's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I was going to post a review but Volley 2 below expressed just what I had pictured it to be in my mind! Excellent job! I even wear this to bed, that is how addicted I am to it. It is comforting, huggable, sexy... what else can I add? Offputting at first...addictive once you learn to appreciate it!

tpoole67701's avatar

Happy for Men by Clinique

Love the sweet citrus smell! smells great but does not last very long.

tpoole67701's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

love this stuff! smells like a sweet whiskey! women love this stuff on me. i cant get enough of it...a must try!

shamu1's avatar

Vermeil for Men by Vermeil

This is definitely a powerhouse, and the next best thing to the original Davidoff. If you love your fragrances strong and macho, you need to try this.

Vermeil For Men has one of the most forceful presentations of tobacco I've ever smelled. This isn't Burberry London styled happy sweet tobacco. This is nasty and animalic, and the lime notes in this just add to the overall acidic smell of this cologne. No one will EVER mistake you for wearing a unisex fragrance with this. Just like Lapidus Pour Homme and Aramis Havana, Vermeil For Men is all about PRESENCE and establishing your turf.

This is the perfect cologne to wear at a cigar dinner in a restaurant (as was popular back in the 1990s), drinking scotch and smoking the hell out of the place. The combination of cigar smoke and the scent of Vermeil For Men will be enough to give you olfactory fatigue for a month. Awesome fragrance here, guys.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

jcastano's avatar

Curve Connect for Men by Liz Claiborne

Another Curve flanker?!?! Yes, BUT, this one is well worth the price! It's a very nice tea scent, I say somewhere along the lines of Gucci Pour Homme II but a tad sweeter and with added florals. The opening is great and the drydown is even better!

It opens up with a sharp tea leaf thats very fresh, green, and semi-sweet, but, within 15 minutes or so, the light woods and spice appear and really balance the scent well. Do I smell tobacco? A bit but not too much, which is okay. The scent itself actually reminds me of Arizona Green Tea, but of course a bit deeper than that. Though this fragrance isn't at all complex (as you can tell by the note breakdown) nor groundbreaking, it's still very well done and actually not as synthetic as one may think, especially for a Liz Claiborne fragrance. It's actually very pleasing, rich, and different from most of the things readily available today. The longevity and sillage are wonderful as well! I get 8-10+ hours on my wearings and the well above average projection seems to give me compliments every 5 minutes! For $15-$20 bucks for a 4.2 oz, I'd say that's a deal! My final Rating A-

Cool Water by Davidoff

My dad wore this...usually on special occasions. When he did the top notes usually gave me and my sister nausea, especially when he sprayed some on in the car during a drive to the said occasions. On him Cool Water was loud, VERY loud, and lasted a long time. It's because of this I've been hesitant to wear it. Why would I want to wear something that would make me sick?

Fast forward: Due to the knowledge that I've acquired here about most perfumes it was clear that my dad over-over-applies every cologne he's ever owned. I told him about over-application and Cool Water was still loud on him. I don't know why he likes this stuff. I finally decided to try it on my skin. Oops. After I washed it off I had to lie down for a bit to get the room to stop spinning. Others have said it was synthetic in the dry-down and they pretty much nailed it.

Sorry. I wanted to like CW but this stuff makes me sick...literally.

jcastano's avatar

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

I like to think of this as Mugler Cologne for a younger audience, although it's not as soapy nor as bitter but rather sweeter and more floral. I went through 2 bottles of this in my teens and for good reason. It just works! No other fragrance I've tried truly captures the complexity of Spring like Lucky You. Call me crazy! The floral opening, with the cotton flower and melilotus herb, blends so nicely with the woody notes in the heart and base. I also get a hint of vetiver throughout the life of the fragrance as well. Longevity is about 4-6 hours and it's projection is moderate. The best part is that a 3.4 oz can be had for under $20 and the shower gel and lotion can be had for a few extra bucks give or take. Either way, it's a wonderful cheapie that's great for the summer and spring months.
    Now, imagine yourself in a giant field out in the countryside in the middle of spring. The air is not at all humid. It's just a cool, breezy day, partly coudly, and everything around you seems alive. The field is full of dark green grass with flowers scattered about as they sway in the breeze. You're sitting under the shade of a giant oak tree just admiring nature in all it's beauty and wonder. You close your eyes and nature's aroma puts you at peace. That's what Lucky You is for me. I love this stuff! My final rating B+

Darvant's avatar

Adidas Classic / Classic Blue by Adidas

Powdery, musky chypre with a deeply pungent undertone of fruits and flowers. A touch of lavender and detectable notes of patchouli and cedarwood anchor the juice to tradition. Decent.

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

As a testament to the some of what others have been saying about perfumes, don't but it until you try it. I tried it when I went to a mall after my class last year and on me Energise is good. Real good. It's especially good to wear in the Philippines because it's hot and humid here and the climate projects it further. I've gotten compliments from friends and classmates about it. Good stuff.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I wore this three years ago and the climate here in the Philippines makes this an oddball. It makes you stand out in the same way a pine tree would stand out in a tropical rain forest, which is exactly what this does. It grabs attention in the wrong ways here. I want to try this scent again when I'm back in the States during the fall or winter to see if it'll mesh better on me. Until then the remaining half of my small bottle will remain unused.

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff. I've been able to pull of Euphoria Intense under any condition. There are people saying that it's more for the fall or winter nights, but I've been wearing this day and night, casual or formal, since February and I've had nothing but compliments. Well, at least I've been able to. I'm not sure about its chemistry on others. It's floral-fruity in the opening which gives way to a spicy-woodsy kind of scent, then dries down to a delicious, but not too sweet, woodsy-chocolate. The downsides, if you want to call it that, are that I have to apply it liberally as it doesn't project as well as I would like and that my friends know I always have it on me, so they ask me for some. I'm running out of this faster than expected so I have to buy another earlier than expected, but I don't mind at all. It's that good.

cK one by Calvin Klein

I've had this one for a while now. This was my safe scent until it was replaced by Euphoria Intense. I find myself using up Euphoria rather quickly so I will be going back to this when it's gone. Nothing much I can say that hasn't already been said. I liked it and when I wore it to my classes my classmates have asked if I could spare them I spritz or two. Safe. Nothing more, nothing less.

colormechris's avatar

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

I think Lauder's Pleasures for Men is the best FRESH scent from the 90's, which let's face it, was the FRESH decade. Cool Water was the touchstone for this family and some other notables are Polo Sport, Aqua di Gio, Eternity, CK One, Issey for Men and Azarro Chrome. They all sort of smell like one another. Let's call it the "fresh aldehyde" that runs through them all, including Pleasures. They all are blaringly synthetic, so I suppose the top prizes go to those that are most able not to smell like cleaning products. Pleasures has a bit of that classic Coppertone Suntan lotion thing happening, which might be why I like it. Because I really could live without this fresh family of fragrances. I'll take a good, citrusy, classic cologne any day over one of these. Hermes Eau Orange Vert for example...now that's fresh without being fake. The saving grace of Pleasures is that it has the faintest whisper of spice throughout the entrie composition. The "red ginger"? It's so faint you can barely detect it; but it keeps the fragrance from being just purely sweet, like Polo Sport.
    My boyfriend likes Pleasures, and it's the only fresh frag I like to smell coming off him...so, it's grown on me. I buy a gift set every couple of years and he gets the EDT and I take the after shave. It's light and, uhm, fresh. Fresh! Yeah, that's it...FRESH! Perfect for the summer.

OnyxSphynx's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I can't get enough of this scent! The earthly tones and warmth draws me in and sends my senses crazy! As a woman wearing this scent I often have many other females ask what perfume it is I am wearing. Love it!

OnyxSphynx's avatar

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

I have always been fond of Desire for a Man. Strong, unapologetic and demanding it has both my attention and two thumbs up!

Jack Hunter's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

A poor mans GIT that tries to live in its shadow but fails. A pale reflection of something greater than itself.

silentrich's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Monster sillage and projection like others have described. 1 on the neck and 2 on the chest if your not going to be in close proximity to others. 1 on the neck and 1 on the chest is usually pretty safe. The opening is harsh which is what most people can't take. I actually enjoy the opening and the dry down is one of the best in the fragrance industry. It's like a dense chocolate with vanilla wafers which I find fantastic. I like the tar note in Mugler's creations as I like the rubber note in Bulgari Black. Mugler's is much lighter and to my nose doesn't hang around for very long. If your not a fan of gourmands or sweet fragrances forget it.

Gilgamesh2003's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

It took me about six months to get to like Quorum. The first few times I tried it the dry, musky leather overwhelmed the rest of the fragrance and it ended up smelling like a dirty pair of chaps, with a particularly agressive sweet-sour note that suggested decomposition.

I tried it again recently and suddenly the whole thing came into focus: pine, soapy notes, citrus, tobacco, suede. I don't know if the bottle "aged" (as Creeds are supposed to do) or if my nose got more sophisticated, but the jarring notes that had bothered me before suddenly smelled soft and good. Lovely, natural, well-blended, ridiculously strong and lasting, and about $12 a bottle. Yow.

Quorum falls somewhere on the Azzaro PH/Paco Rabanne PH/Aramis Tuscany/etc scale. To me it smells like a 50/50 mixture of original Aramis and Paco Rabanne, plus some pine - I mean this as a compliment. I don't know if Quorum qualifies as a fougere in the strictest sense, but it sure smells like a classic masculine fougere with a ton of leather. I'm surprised that neither civet nor castorteum appears in the note pyramid - beneath the soap Quorum has a penetrating, animalic muskiness that bring Knize Ten and Yatagan to mind.

This is another one of those cheap masterpieces that shows that price doesn't necessarily relate to quality in perfumes. Get yourself a bottle, you won't be sorry.

pearlfingering's avatar

Vent Vert (original) by Pierre Balmain

Vent Vert conjures spring, but not in the traditional sense of baby animals, bulb flowers and Easter parades. It is that small window of tolerable, damp chill before everyone carps about the heat incessantly. Therefore, Vent Vert is harsh like a cold rain blowing in your face. I smell old school lily of the valley bath cubes with a hefty dose of galbanum from the start. You can make out roses and lilac in the heart, but there is a skank note in it like pond sludge. The iconoclastic Germaine Cellier famously worked with chemical bases. This is meant to smell kinky. Ian Fleming loved this scent, and in Live and Let Die, voodoo queen Solitaire wore it. That makes perfect sense to me, because it is frigid, other worldly and clean. There is some nice civet in the base to off set this. It also smells really good in industrial areas, because you smell chemicals and cleaning products in it. There is rubber that reminds me of Bandit, which is the dominatrix, while Vent Vert is the naughty nurse.

uxf's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I haven't done a side by side but boy does this remind me of Voyage d'Hermes and the mineralic citrus note in a number of scents from that line. Infusion d'Iris is a bit more rounded and slippery and seems perfectly suitable for men. The iris in here is fresh and slight and doesn't step out much from the backup florals and citrus.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

I simply cannot derive the slightest satisfaction from this. It has a powdery sourness that I do not care for - a blend of foundation and putrifying fruit. Add a little calone, and voila!

It's continued popularity is depressing.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Enlévement au Sérail / FK3 by MDCI

An updated classical floral boasting wonderful depth and a sensuality that borders on the coquettish. This is vintage Francis Kurkdjian. If Carnal Flower weaves its magic as a voluptuous temptress, then Enlévement au Sérail is the seductive song of a sultry siren.