Fragrance Reviews from April 2011

chet31's avatar

Cigar Aficionado by Cigar Aficionado

Not cigar, which was dissappointing, but still pleasant, lots of vanilla. Somewhat similar to Cuba Red. For me, more wearable than Remy Latour Cigar.

manicboy's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Classic Americana in a bottle. Captures the "great" outdoors to boot. One of the first frags I ever wore. Monumental green pine and aromatic juniper hit the nostrils. Unique and powerful. Slowly settles down into patchouli and leather but the pine is always in the forefront. The gift of the forest just keeps on giving. Not as mossy as it used to be as there's no moss (Oak or Tree) listed on the box but it's still imminently wearable in this jaded age. Haven't worn it in over 15 years but as I wore it after all these years, those initial Sunday morning wearings came flooding back in a tidal wave of sentimentality. Brisk, clean and a joy to wear.

jcastano's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

This is a true gourmand! No bs about it! No unique or overly irrelevant notes, no odd opening nor disappointing drydown. It's just exactly the type of fragrance that gourmand lovers dream of. It smells so edible and delicious! Everytime I wear this, I'm told I smell "yummy"! I once had a two females tell me that they wanted to eat me up so obviously the compliment factor with this one is through the roof! The sillage is moderate and I get around 5-8 hours longevity give or take. Onto the fragrance:

If I had not known the notes in this fragrance I would have guessed raspberry in the opening. I get a very sweet raspberry mint mocha in the top notes but as it settles, I get a lightly sweetened grapefruit that balances the sweetness and almost gives a light tartness to the fragrance. As it dries down, I get a hazelnut mocha latte over damp woods with citrusy undertones. For what it is, I'd say it's not too complex but it somewhat is. After a few wearings, it just seems to get better and better. I do advise to go easy on the trigger. It can get a bit overwhelming if you overapply so be careful! I'd say it's a wonderful date fragrance and better suitable for the colder months, however, the citrus gives it enough character for the spring and summer wear so I'd say it's perfect all season. So how does this compare to A*Men? Well, it doesn't, but, if you can't stand the tar opening of A*Men, try this one instead. It's smoother, sweeter, and not as rugged. Basically, it's A*Men without the tar, pachouli, and other harsh notes. Although A*Men is in a league of it's own, this is still worth trying and almost just as good! My final Rating B+

jcastano's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

No thank you! This stuff is not that bad but by no means is it good. It's an overly sweet cotton candy cinnamon concoction that even the likes of me can't tolerate. What's worse is that my dad loves and wears this religiously! The bottle, the pink juice, and the smell is far too overwhemling for my nose. I can't imagine how people felt back in 1989 when it was released. It must've been like The War Of The Worlds radio broadcast in 1938 that had many scattering about in panic and sheer dismay, except everyone back in '89 was male and running out of their local department stores! I will say that Joop is ballsy and has no respect for anything in its presence. Imagine an 80's powerhouse fragrance that is ridiculously sweet instead of the green or the woody! Yup! Joop is a beast! I'll even go as far as saying that it was the prototype to the gourmand genre. Without this unapologetic creation, there would be no basis for the creation or comparison of any other kind of fragrance in that same vein so I suppose even though I can't bare Joop, I'm entitled to give it that much credit. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise? Regardless, it's not for me and I don't think I'll be coming around any time soon. My final Rating C-

eo01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

EO 01 is an amazing spicy oriental fragrance. Quite complex and elegant but easy to wear and discreet. Don't let the word "discreet" mislead you, as with the proper amount of EO 01 spryed on ypur body you can fill a room, but you fill it with a gentle and soave (almost candid) sweet allure generated by a strong sandalwood base together with vanilla, nutmeg, tonka beans, amber, patchouli, cinnamon and other sweet-spicy juxtapositions.

The secret behind EO 01's unique character is the mastery with which Mr Oelkers perfectly balanced all this elements to create an incredible harmony between them. A comfortable, almost familiar smell, but a really good one. EO 01 can be considered as a great example of a classic fragrance revised with a (very) modern twist.

While I think EO 01 is more on the feminine side, I guess it could do pretty well also on the right man.

eo02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

As I said per EO 01, the secret behind Egon Oelkers creations for Biehl is to find in his mastery and skills. EO 02 is quite a classic woody oriental, with a grapefruit / citrus opening that evolves into a rich, woody and sweet vanillia, amber and cedar drydown (in this phase I also still get grapefruit). You could think this sounds like something that has been played many many times, and you're right! But just try for a moment to think about Beethoven's 5th Symphony conducted by a practicing orchestra conductor and now think about the same symphony conducted by Herbert Von Karajan? Do you see the point? The music and notes are still the same, but what really makes the difference is execution! Brilliant work.

eo03 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

This is Egon Oelkers's floral interpretation for Biehl, and unfortunately the worst between the three creations he made for the german house. An elegant and classic white floral bouquet surrounded by a rose note with gourmandic hints in the drydown. Nothing that I'm really excited about.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

If you like the hinoki cypress smell I think Zagorsk is a much better interpretation of the theme than it actually is Monocle Scent 01 by the same house. A dark-green coniferous base (pine and hinoki) mixed with the most chilling and stark frankincense around. Minimalistic and austerely distinctive but incredibly compelling as well. One of my favourites incense of all time. Highly recommended!

Hermèssence Paprika Brasil by Hermès

Paprika Brasil comfortably sits between all other fragrances of the same line (Hermessence), with its thin and minimalistic structure. Peppery spices and woods pleasantly balanced to create a traslucent and very gentle smell. Nice and well executed but I expected a little more from a supposed"exclusive" line by Hermes. A serious contendant if just half priced.

oshunshawo's avatar

Rose Poivrée by Different Company

I have to agree with odysseusm regarding this scent....also doesn't work for me....almost a moldy rose.

oshunshawo's avatar

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni

I also obtained a sample of this from lucky scent based on all the rave reviews. I found this to be well formulated, but definitely not the type of rose scentI was looking for. Reminds me a bit of Indian Nag Champa incense.

Lift's avatar

Ginger Musk by Montale

I get no ginger, no musk, and for a fraction of the cost, Rare Gold by Avon smells just like it. Almost has me wondering if sample is mislabeled.

nonnative's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Just received a bottle from a friend who almost ended it. At first sniff it seemed a strong rich perfume for strong and rich businessmen. At a second try it seemed to me an old stile creation with the unpleasant impression to have smelled too many similar parfumes. But when sprayed on the skin it surprisingly releases beautiful green notes followed by a hint of cream that I liked. Not for me or my husband but not bad.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

Maybe you're reading these reviews to comfort yourself, as you haven't been able to acquire a bottle of Pure Coffee. Unfortunately, you shall find no comfort, and unfortunately, there is no hope. I recently got my hands on a big sample of this, and it had an impact on me.

Pure Coffee will be the yardstick by which I measure all other coffee scents, and it's also the best of the A*Men "Pure" flankers (as I've recently had a chance to smell all three), as well as being better than A*Men.

To begin with, PC is one half A*Men, like all of the Pure series. There is an edible, desert-like base containing a considerable amount of patchouli that firmly establishes this scent as delicious. Each of these (currently four) scents diverge from this point. The Original has a chocolate/birch tar half (which I've become allergic to), PM has a malt/vanilla sundae half, PH has a tobacco/graham cracker half, and Pure Coffee has a coffee/mocha half. The overall effect is like desert in Little Italy.

The bitter coffee combined with the sweet base makes it a complete and complex fragrance, whereas the others are just sweet on sweet. I received multiple unsolicited compliments, one from a stranger, while wearing this.

I also love coffee more than life itself, but that's really neither here nor there.

TM needs to re-release this so I can own a bottle.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

In my opinion this is the less interesting in the "Un Jardin" serie. A Fresh, almost inconsistent green tropical fruit water with a barely nice drydown composed by shy hints of incense and vetiver.

mohendrix's avatar

Fleurs de Nuit by Badgley Mischka

Easily the most beautiful bottle I own, but the juice doesn't quite live up to it. It is a light, linear, pretty jasmine. There is no "nuit" anywhere in this perfume. The jasmine is light and green, with no creaminess or indoles whatsoever. Hours later it dries down to have a soft powderiness, but even that development is a thin unassuming stage. I feel like it's halfway between Kenneth Cole Black (watery thin shrieky jasmine) and Serge Lutens A La Nuit (green honeyed velvety jasmine). It's not bad, but it's not what I want from my white florals. It lacks depth. The sillage is light and the lasting power is fine. Not a bad or "cheap" perfume, just not in the style I enjoy. It's very simple on me.

DutchSchwag's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

Like many of the CK products for men Contradiction is certainly packaged well and insinuates a certain faux sophistication on the dresser drawer when on display. The problem is in the pretentiousness of the fragrance itself. The opening salvo is heavy on the alcohol and a fruit bomb gone awry. It quickly turns into a mix of fruit set against common pepper and spice to gel with the marketing pitch and name. Wears very close to the skin after about a quarter of an hour and does not relent in the struggle that seems to be at play between the fruit and spice notes. Finally flickers out after a handful of hours, generally around the 4 to 5 hour mark, but similar to later creations Euphoria and Man in their low projection and subtle, close to the skin fruity vibe.
    Very commercial creation that seems to have been designed purely to fit a marketing strategy rather than allowing the creators to find artistic freedom and conceptualize their own product and marketing to react to that. Almost too heavy handed, calling something Contradiction and then putting two seemingly opposing opposites, fruit and spice, against each other in a contrived attempt to assert something altogether new and revolutionary.
    Very synthetic and though not all together vile, certainly not up to the standards set by the original MSRP. Has become a steady member of the clearance club recently and most likely will be discontinued as CK continues to over-expand its empire with bland and uninspiring fragrances that bring in solid money behind the CK name.
    What can be said that Foetidus has not already said? Like usual, not much. Suffice to say this is nothing dreadful, but less than average. If spice is what you crave, look no further than Burberry The Beat. If it´s fruit? Ck Euphoria Intense is a better bet under the CK name. Escape another one.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Everything said in these reviews is more or less accurate. Yes, we have some wood that may or may not include both sandalwood and ceder, but it does smell sandalwoody. We also have a bit of curry and also some sweet, syrupy caramel notes.

Now, the problem with this, I feel, is that there is too much goodness and it ruins the overall fragrance. I just think that sometimes, "less is more." After all, it's the notes you DON'T play that make the music funky. When a fragrance contains 3 potent smells all coming from different directions, it just makes everything a bit muddled, although I suppose that's what makes it a Lutens. The effect is feeling like you've eaten Indian food and syrupy pancakes while wearing a sandalwood oil.

It's difficult to express how this missed the mark of being a wearable masterpiece, but it did.

Whatever, due to the ease of acquiring samples and decants you can see if it works for yourself, so I'll leave you with a quote from Geordi Laforge,
    "You don't have to take my word for it..."

Bartlebooth's avatar

Derby by Guerlain

Guerlain Derby is often cited as being the benchmark leather chypre, and rightly so. Good reasons for genuflecting in its presence are the harmonious nature of the accords, the lack of dominance from any quarter, and the golden sheen that seems to adorn its entirety.

The top notes are lightly drizzled with some expensive booze, and garnished with a flourish of pure mint. It becomes more floral and even a little more old-fashioned in the heart, but it is all still composed and restrained. The base is not allowed to dribble away and diminish the overall effect; it seems to support that which has been so lovingly produced.

I do have a preference for slightly edgy and perhaps even flawed chypres like Equipage and the original Gucci Pour Homme, but Derby is almost impossible to fault.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

XIII La Treizième Heure by Cartier

Les Heures du Parfum XIII is Mathilde Laurent's ode to tea: the bergamot topnote suggests Earl Gray, there is some faintly rubbery maté, the smokey birch and meaty narcissi are Lapsang Souchong, while the vanilla in the base whispers of the ambery sweetness of Rooibos.

Laurent's fragrance bears an undeniable resemblance to Annick Ménardo's wicked Patchouli 24, though the Cartier is quieter, brighter, and has no stewed fruits in the drydown. In fact, it is gratifyingly close to what I've wanted all along: Patchouli 24 without the cloying drydown. While Ménardo delivers a straight-up birch tar with all the flirtation of a mallet to the head, Laurent's gift to us is an exquisite study of that brown beverage, the 'cup of humanity' (to borrow Kakuzo Okakura's phrase), composed in the smokey sighs of tea leaves. Wonderful.

usemyname's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Morris Mens Cologne by Morris

Very nice. Lovely citrus. Lemon balm and not much else.

This doesn't seem to be discontinued. Search for it on ebay Italy and Germany.

16 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2011)

fragrance-fetish's avatar

Infusion de Vétiver by Prada

Granted it's fairly new as I type this, I'm very surprised this hasn't gotten more attention that it has. This is an outstanding vetiver!

To echo what folks have already said, it's by no means an overpowering vetiver. You get a light, soft, green, and clean feel to it. Not clawing, and the scent stays close to the skin after a couple of hours. In my opinion, the projectivity is perfect.

I'll leave it to the others to do a better job at delving into the notes than I, but I will say that this is the vetiver that's made me become a vetiver fan!

16 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2011)

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

I Sworn to God that I would never have written another review for a Bond N.9 scent...and look at me now! I decided to give H.O.T. Always a chance just because I'm into leather fragrances and wanted to see if I could find at least one perfume from this house that I like. No way! A big and loud Patchouli note positioned on a banal leather accord. Besides what Luca Turin says it totally smells like someone using a bong. Maybe a crystal, handmade one, but still a bong.

If you prefer, let's put it like this. An agè lady from the enlightened "petite bourgeoisie" who doesn't color her hair, dresses with expensive organic cotton / hemp clothes, and love macrobiotic food. The smell of a rich hippy.

16 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2011)

Oproust's avatar

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Tsar is the first fragrance I fell in love with upon initial sampling in the early 1990's. I bought a gift set that included the EDTand after shave. This fresh fougere has a crisp green opening that develops a slightly spicy and fruity character within the first 30 minutes of application. I find a distinct tartness as it transitions into the heart notes, but the fruity, green notes remain throughout the life of the fragrance, though they take a less prominent role over time. As the base develops, the oak moss note emerges accompanied by a dash of pathchouli. This lasts for quite some time until the sandal enters the progression. I detect a restrained leather note in the base. Tsar is an elegant fragrance that starts strong and mellows to a pleasant skin scent that invites wrist sniffs. Tsar has been reformulated at least twice since its launch in the late 1980s. I do not recommend the first reformulation which is packaged in the ribbed bottle with the gold top. In my opinion, it is not even close to the original. If you can't obtain a bottle of the original, I recommend the current version in the dark green, opaque bottle with the black top. This is the new version that is shown on the VC&A website. It is very close to the original formulation. A side by side comaprison confirms that. Tsar is an excellent choice for formal occassions, but it can also be worn at the office. One of my favorites. I will always have a bottle in my wardrobe.

16 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2011)

nonnative's avatar

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

Ah, ELd'O. In the last few days I've been thinking of this brand a lot. I like the idea of a group of anarchic noses free to create what is in their minds. This VB isn't really my ideal creation and I don't feel completely confortable in it (I'm a brunette, is it important?). From the gorgeous description I would expect a scent that makes a brunette feel as a blonde. This doesn't happen, but I find it very happy and stimulating. None of the reviews quoted the very strong effect of baking soda I perceive.I found the parfume not lasting and this it's a pity.

16 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 November, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

White flowers and soapy, balsamic orange. On a bed of pharmaceutical coumarin aromatized in a balsamic-airy way by the addition of fern, the performer settled a bitter-sweet neroli accord gentled by white orange flowers. The outcome is a synthetic and delicate aroma of white orangy flowers that soars airy and cool. The rough bitter-sweet opening is original but off-putting, than the scent starts mellowing and losing the harsh fruity initial temperament in order to fade in to a silky cream mastered by insertion of an hint of vanilla and a minimal touch of tobacco. Not orrible but not my choice for sure.

16 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 May, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

Burning incense and soporific candels.
    Delightful, relaxing and peaceful, this fragrance is nothing else than bliss and peace. I don't perceive it as particularly gothic or appalling. It evokes the time of childhood in the catholic countries, the time when your family, may be wrongly, may be reasonably, used to draw you in a world of prayers and incense, midnight christmas masses and catechism, cribs and sacristies. You were a virgin child lacking hate and suspicion that would never have been able to forget the whiffs of mystic incense exhaling from the cathedrals background. Avignon is incense infused by elements that finely flavour it without contaminating its aroma too much. Somebody smells it as too linear and this is understandable. The drama is not stormy. The elements are creams (vanilla, ambrette), myrrh, humid chamomile tea perfectly joined with resinous olibanum, dried fruits, patchouli and woods. The patchouli is subdued and it penalizes the boldness. I smell a touch of bilberries. Woods provide consistency of structure and warmth to the ethereal incense while chamomile tea infuses an hint of fluidity and light to this otherworldly enigma. Very similar to Heeley's Cardinal this is not my favourite incense based fragrance, to focus on which you must deflect towards Norma Kamali Incense, Black Tourmaline, Wazamba, Jubilation XXV, La Liturgie des Heures or Dzonghka, nevertheless Avignon is a lovely incensey fragrance with a powerful evocative temperament.

16 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2014)

Lovescully's avatar

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

I absolutely love this stuff! I don’t get any kind of aquatic vibe from this at all. It’s really very green and fresh with a hint of fruity sweet & sour thrown into the mix.

It’s perfect for daily office use and is extremely unlikely to offend even the most sensitive nose. In my opinion it’s also a versatile scent that can be used for almost any occasion and at any time of the year.

As far as the sillage and longevity go, it does stay fairly close to the skin but I use the EDT with the shower gel and after shave balm; so it pretty much lasts the whole day on me.

FYI; before I purchased this, I first tried it on paper. It was quite a pungent sharp green with almost no hint of the fruity sweet/sour notes. Then when I tried it on my skin, I got a totally different vibe from it. I guess this one has a lot to do with body chemistry, so a friendly word of warning: try before you buy.

fixitunes's avatar

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

Love, love, love, love this fragrance. I'm a late bloomer when it comes to this Wild Fig and Cassis cologne from Jo Malone as I've been wearing a countless others from the Jo Malone brand but somehow it grew on me and now I have a small and a large just to have it ready to use anywhere I am travel or at home. It's green with an added earthy mossiness to it and it's best after a hot shower then spray a nice bunch of it on you to smell like a fig garden on a warm afternoon. It's so good I can taste it!

Daryl J.'s avatar

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

I like this barbershopesque fragrance for out of doors in the chilly, breezy Pacific Northwest on a sunny day. The refreshing juniper berry and cinnamon blend well with this environment. The fragrance starts out quite strong but after 10-20 minutes depending on temperature, it has died down enough to be just right and remains that way for several hours. To my nose, the fragrance is quite linear which is one reason why I chose it. I give it a thumbs up in a retro sort of way.

In this part of the country, it is easily a 9-10 month of the year fragrance, avoiding late July, August, and September when the weather finally heats up and dries out. If one lives essentially in doors, I'd use BdG during the coldest 6 months of the year.