Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

A Masterpiece , complex , nothing could be compared with it. it evolves and evolves.. especially the dry down is awe sum.
    The First or probably the last Chanel which i love.

robyogi's avatar

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Well, it's interesting, that's for sure. Starts off with a VERY synthetic plastic-like note that, on me anyway, lingers for hours on end. I'm guessing this is what Kenzo is calling "ozone." Once that fades, I'm left with a quiet woody and slightly floral scent that lasts for many hours more. I can smell this on my shirt days later. This seems like a precursor to Beth Terry's Mare. But, Mare is more "natural" smelling, even if it sacrifices some "marine" character in being that way. (FWIW, I've always thought Mare was more lightly floral than marine.) I like this for what it is, and it seems like a daring sort of fragrance in opening with the plastic note the way it does. This willingly, intentionally synthetic vibe makes it very 90s in my view. That said, I can't say I love wearing it because I don't necessarily want to spend 3+ hours smelling like melting plastic before I get to the very nice basenotes.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Aseel by Al Rehab

There are no words to describe this perfume, it is awesome.
    Oud from beginnng to end, some rose and maybe some jasmine mixed in but oud dominate the whole lifetime of this scent, which it is very long (8-10 hrs).
    Sillage is better than average but it does not become cloying or overwhelming, however people around will notice you, and since this fragrance is so unusual, do not attempt wearing it unless you are very confident on yourself.
    If you are looking for something different, this is your perfume.
    Thumbs up all the way.

Oproust's avatar

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

Simply the best citrus I know. Eau de Guerlain starts with a zingy citrus blast with just the right dose of herbs to tone down the sharpness that plagues too many citrus fragrances. The heavy herbal accord found in Eau Sauvage is largely absent in Eau de Guerlain. I detect intermittent rose and carnation in the mid notes, but the jasmin and patchouli aren't particulary prominent to my nose. I find the moss and musky drydown very pleasant and surprisingly long lasting. While I enjoy Eau Sauvage, Eau de Rochas Homme, George F Trumper GFT and YSL pour Homme, I prefer Eau de Guerlain because of the fine citrus-herbal balance,the great mossy-musky drydown and the very good longevity. Perfect for a hot summer day.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

It is a very common scent and I smell it around a lot, but I don't care because I love it the barbershop vanilla note in the base made me fall in love with this one.

Bigsly's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

If you can't afford this, just grab some Adidas Victory League (which is less than $10 for 100 ml, last time I looked), which I sampled before this one. AVL is clearly more chemical/synthetic smelling but by the time you get to the drydown you will likely be used to it. Anyway, this one is quite good for what it is. As someone else noted, it's a kind of hybrid, somewhere between gourmand and woody oriental. I'd also say it's unisex due to the sweetness (which isn't oppressive) and lack of anything harsh. Also, it has a creamy quality, which is more common in fragrances marketed to women. Longevity and projection/"sillage" seem good to very good. This is a rather simple fragrance, so don't expect greatness here, but it certainly doesn't have the obnoxious qualities I find in so many men's fragrances like this (Rochas Man, A*Man, Body Kouros, etc.). At the very least, it's a good "change of pace" fragrance. Unlike a few others, I don't find it too synthetic, and I'm usually sensitive to this problem in many recent fragrances. Because I have AVL, I don't know if I need to keep this one, since I don't wear this kind of fragrance often, but it is a nice scent. Clearly, this is aimed at a fairly young crowd.

jcastano's avatar

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

The opening to this is very grassy and citric, think of a freshly peeled tangerine. It also may even come off as a spicy lemon but I suppose it's the grapefruit. If I had a way of describing the scent as the heart notes blend with the base, I'd say that this is a mix between D&G Masculine and Aramis Tuscany. Imagine the citrus wood base of D&G Masculine under the spicy, mossy, woodiness in Tuscany. It's clean yet spicy. Projection is moderate and longevity is around 6-8 hours. I wouldn't go as far as dubbing this unisex neither. It's far too spicy and woody for a female, or at least I would say. Although I encourage any age to wear what they'd like, I'd d=say this is ideal for an older gentleman 35+. My final rating B-

Bigsly's avatar

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

I think of this one as a highly refined version of Uomo? Moschino (which was introduced two years later, apparently). What's really interesting is how this makes MB wearable for me, whereas U?M was too crude and harsh. Anyway, they both have a lot of notes which seem to be crowding each other out. The theme is a lemon meringue kind of smell. In other words, there is a bit of lemon with a slightly sour quality, and it's also a little creamy. It's a touch woody, and as you might expect, sweet, but definitely not very sweet. After an hour or so the projection/"sillage" drops off significantly, but it seems to be linear otherwise. Longevity seems good if not great. If this is what you seek, I doubt you can get it in a less expensive fragrance, though as I said if you don't mind a crude version of it, you can go for U?M. If I took price into account, I'd give it a neutral, but since I don't I think it deserves a positive, especially considering it's not to my taste at all yet I do like it on some level, and would wear it as a change of pace once every month or two.

jcastano's avatar

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

If you enjoy Tommy Hilfiger for Men or Michael Jordan for Men, this one is right up your alley. It's essentially a creamy version of MJ and/or Tommy. It's much closer to Michael Jordan though, almost identical even. The juniper and bergamont opening is a vaguely dirty citrus accord and lasts for about 5 minutes. Soon, the top becomes creamy and faintly spicy with the rosemary, nutmeg heart. As it transitions into the drydown, the creamy nutmeg, citrus blend lingers over a smooth sandalwood base, almost like the creamy sandalwood in The Art of Shaving, but with the rosemary still spicing up the mix. It's very pleasing but not something for anyone over the age of 20. It's a great starter fragrance for any teen and/or pre-teen and it will definitely get anyone wearing it a mass amount of compliments. Sillage is moderate and longevity is anywhere between 4-7 hours give or take. I bought this this for my little cousin (15 years old) for around $25 (2.5 oz) and he loves it, along with all the young females in his life.
    On that note, I wore this once and someone asked me if I was wearing Chanel Edition Blanche. I suppose it's the creaminess vibe that would allow for that confusion. Plus, when I wore this back in high school, females regularly insisted that I smelled, dare I say, like "a sexy beast!". My final rating B-

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

In the opening I get hints of gasoline coupled with green irish springs soap, and in the drydown, which is my favorite part of the fragrance, I detect a very dry cedar smell.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

It took a little while to get used to, but I must say this is a masterpiece. The sweet berry smell in the beginning coupled with the chocolate caramel dry down is just beautiful.

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

I've tried many different incense based fragrances and I must say this one is my favorite, many other incense fragrances take a mellow citrusy route, but this one is dark and dirty just how incense is supposed to be.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

This is a very beautiful fragrance, I own a bottle of Australian sandalwood essential oil and the opening of tam dao is very similar. The dry down is the star of this fragrance, the original sandalwood note sweetens; making the fragrance smell like a sandalwood and vanilla candle.

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

A boring and generic peppery-aquatic fragrance in today's perfumery style. Unremarkable.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

While I still find Black to be extremely compelling, I think it has lost its original groundbreaking power. Since when it was initially released our sense of smell has been pushed to the limits by, sometimes questionable, stranger compositions (i.e.CDG's synthetic line, SMN Nostalgia, Secretions Magnifiques), and smelling Black today it's still an amazing experience but somehow less surprising.

Overall this is a great fragrance, distinctive and absolutely remarkable, but I don't get it as "bizarre", "dangerously mysterious" or "extreme" anymore. It smells more like a vintage rubber toy from your childhood left in a trunk for 20 years together with vanilla sticks. Sweet-stale-clean, but I still quite enjoy it.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I'll be honest. I hate this scent. I tried to like it, i bought it blindly off this fragrance site i regularly buy from and they had this on sale...I soon realised why. The initial smell reminded me of a nauseating bathroom air refreshner. Very florally, which usually i would love, but this was just a bit much for me. I didn't like it at all. I thought maybe after a couple of hours it would dry into something more pleasant but for me, it just didn't work.

I soon sold this on ebay and was so thankful someone else liked it enough to buy it.

I think this would appeal to ladies who enjoy a soapy clean bathroom floral refreshner smell.

The bottle design is quite lovely and girly, that i did like. It makes a nice elegant accessory on the dresser.

Notes as described by fragranceheaven.com.au:

Top notes include mandarin, rosewood, lavender, apple martini and bergamot, with heart notes of orchid and patchouli. Dry down notes combine cedar, white amber, woods and musk. It is recommended for daytime wear.

Heiress by Paris Hilton

This perfume is terrible and tacky.

I don't know which was worse, the tacky chunky glitter bottle in which the fragrance is contained or the fragrance itself...

I liked the release of Paris' self titled perfume, the sweetness appealed to me and I was very happy to have received it as part of a gift pack. This was why I thought I would not be disappointed with Heiress. I was so wrong.

It smells very very cheap. It does have a sweet linger to it, but this mix just did not do it for me. It reminded me of those imitation cheap fragrances that aren't too nice and just overly sugary. Kind of like sugar water.

The bottle design itself is so so tacky. That chunky glitter backdrop makes me feel like this was meant for a Barbie and Dora the Explorer fan based audience. It is quite embarrassing and cheap looking amongst my collection of fragrances.

I think this would appeal to a very young teen based audience whom have not tried many fragrances as yet and enjoy a very sweet candy smell.

I honestly could not detect much floral scents if they were there.

As described by fragranceheaven.com.au:

Heiress by Paris Hilton is a fruity floral juice opens with top notes of passion fruit, orange, peach granita and champagne mimosa, unfolding into heart notes of star jasmine, tiare flower, ylang ylang, honeysuckle, dewberry blossom and grenadine, with a dry-down of violet leaf, vetiver, Tahitian tonka and blonde woods. It is recommended for casual wear.

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

I used to wear this fragrance everyday as my signature scent. I enjoyed the fruity sweet scent with a very minimal hint of floral, it made me feel optimistic and teeny boppy young. My friend liked it so much on me, she bought one herself. However, now that i own more fragrances, i have come to realise how it does not compare to other fragrances that are on the market.

The bottle design is very cheap though. The black wiggly lines you see on the bottle is actually a clear sticker with the lines on it, wrapped around the bottle. Not very impressive on the dresser and i sense the intended audience was for a young teen, still in school and still going through puberty.

I think it would appeal more to young girls who are just discovering perfumes who are into a medium sweet fruity fragrance.

It's not absolutely terrible...but it does not compare to other fragrances that are out there.

Notes as described on fragranceheaven.com.au:

Top notes include frozen apple, peach nectar, wet ozone and muguet, with heart notes of freesia, mimosa, jasmine and tuberose. Base notes combine skin musk, sandalwood, ylang-ylang, oakmoss and pheromone.

EugeniaLOL's avatar

Sandalwood by Demeter Fragrance Library

Smells exactly like actual sandalwood -- which is saying a lot, since I think it's probably mostly synthetic, given what real, good quality sandalwood oil goes for these days. It smells exactly like the two objects I own that I know are really made of sandalwood, a fan and some old Indian beads. Not sweet, not over-complicated. Exactly right.

I've smelled a lot of sandalwood perfumes, as I've been looking for The Right One for my husband for more than a decade. I've tried cheap headshop oils, no-name Egyptian attars, mass-produced brands, and very expensive tiny samples from exclusive European niche houses. Some of those were very nice, but my husband's particular and wanted what he wanted, which we couldn't get any more. This is the next closest thing I've ever found.

Did you know that real Indian sandalwood (Santalum album) has been massively overharvested and the oil is very, very hard to get nowadays? Did you know that if you find the real thing for sale in the US, there's a good chance it was poached? I don't know how much, if any, real sandalwood is in Demeter's stuff, but like I said above, given the price, probably not much. Which is GOOD. Especially given that it smells so nice. Demeter's chemists have nailed it, and will probably be able to keep producing this lovely stuff no matter what happens to the world sandalwood supply, so my husband will be able to smell like he wants to for years to come. Yay!

odysseusm's avatar

Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons

I like it. I agree with the assessment below that Dover Street is a good entry-level offering by CdG into their incense style. It is not as bold as Hinoki nor does it make such distinctive statements as the Incense Series scents. This is an office-friendly, casual sort of scent and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    The scent is bright, sprightly, and energizing. Citrus-pepper opening notes give way to nutty-woody spice (coriander) and good hints of resinous incense. The tangy juniper does give a gin-like note. Generally, the notes are smoothly blended. The dry-down has lovely incense and wood notes... in a light, translucent style. Its restraint and casual charm make this rather classy, in my opinion. Suitable for any occasion, any weather.

anotherlemontree's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Veeery clever, interesting scent this.

There's incense and wax in the opening - I think Luca Turin is on the money when he describes this as smelling like a snuffed out candle. I love snuffed out candles, and yet I don't love the smell of them here... First I thought maybe I'd rather have this as a room fragrance... but the illusion of hot wax on skin should be a match made in heaven, no?

Either way, this is an ephemeral ghost of a scent. The incense is the most persistent note to my nose, but the reviewers below are right about it retaining a freshness in spite of this... like smelling the memory of incense rather than the real thing. There's no sweetness at all, no ornamentation.

Eventually, captivating though I find the pared down concept and construction of CDG 2 Man, I am a little bored and slightly annoyed that I don't like it more. It is admirable, original, intelligent, but it doesn't make me swoon.

Marshmallow by MOR Cosmetics

I used to wonder what scent my co-worker had on until one day she offered me some of her "Marshmallow" Mor hand cream and it was then that i realised exactly what this beautiful scent was.

The name Marshmallow was chosen to describe the actual Marshmallow flower whose scientific name is Althaea Officinalis and not in reference to the soft fluffy lolly/candy. It leaves a lingering girly pink musk lolly scent with an underlying powdery floral base that I and my sister find very alluring. I think it best suits a youthful, young and very feminine/girl audience.

I can see why it is their best selling line. I own almost all of their Marshmallow range from lotions, bathing elixir, lip balms/nectars to their perfume and body oil.

It will most likely be more favoured by those who like sweet powdery fragrances.

I have been complimented on this scent on many occassions =)

From the MOR website, it is described as follows:

The MOR Marshmallow fragrance is collectively orchestrated with Vanilla Musk and Jasmine Flower that gloriously rapture in this pretty, feminine fragrance. Sugar dipped Rose petals with White Carnation and Cotton Candy play beautifully to create a deliciously sweet perfume.

12 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2011)

santino's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

When I will depart from this world and knock the doors of heaven, I know it will smell like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. This fragrance never fails to put smile on my face. It is uber classy scent and those who can not appreciate it, I feel sorry for them.

12 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 May, 2011)

garville's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Scuderia Ferrari Extreme by Ferrari

Zeek is right. This is a mixture of women's cosmetics. Syrupy and it lingers on for many hours, it also repulsed my olfactory sense (sickening).

12 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2011)

Orfamay's avatar

Imogen Rose by Gorilla Perfume

No love for Imogen Rose on Basenotes! I have the small bottle, but I'll certainly buy the big bottle when I run out: I'm going to drain this baby pretty quickly. I get a blast of very sensual rose--big, blossoming and earthy--and then the vetiver takes over. It changes further into what smells like a very expensive rose-scented powder, and eventually fades into faint honey-scented powder. It's a fast ride, at least in the concentration I have. As a note, I personally found the solid perfume to smell more like the base (beeswax? shea butter? something) than the fragrance.

12 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 May, 2011)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

As much as I love pepper, I couldn't really see into this one. There's no doubt that the pepper is the star player here, with the woodsy notes behind it. The pepper in this was more of pepper oil, very concentrated, which didn't play out well for me. Right off the bat it reminded me of Oscar for Men, by Oscar de la Renta.

Does it smell good? Sure does, I love the smell of pepper though. But like Oscar for Men, I find this one virtually unwearable. Check this one out, and you will understand what I mean.

Keeping my old review up for reference.

I have decided to revisit Navegar. If I were a more biased reviewer, this would get a thumbs down for me, just for personal reasons. I really don't get many of the notes listed.. but here's what I do get. Basically this is Polo Modern Reserve in a niche. It's green, spicy, and a deep patchouli in the background.. although not listed in notes.

Not my type of fragrance at all, but it does not smell bad.

12 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 November, 2011)

Knize Forest by Knize

Launched in 1993. This, together with Knize Ten, is the most interesting composition in the Knize's range. A green fougère that in many apsects recalls of the more popular Green Irish Tweed (expecially during the inital phase). A pine and herbal opening (mainly rosemary and sage) with hints of mint that evolves into an oakmoss and sandalwood lead drydown. Overall Knize Forest is airy and salubrious and will make the happyness of many coneheads out there. Long lasting, refined, distinctive and a lot cheaper than GIT.

12 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2011)

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

Rumeur (original) by Lanvin

(2011 review)

I haven't quite managed to understand Rumeur in its different vintage forms I have. There is one very butch, leathery and mossy version (which I like most) and others that are very chypré and, yes, smelling very modern and, yes, with a pronounced ginger note on the sweeter side. If the latter is your thing and you are desperate to find a substitute, try Roja Dove's Unspoken EdP and Extrait to cover some aspects!

*****

(2012 review)

I have several small bottles of the vintage extrait and this time I reached for one that looks 'newest' and most likelybest preserved (lighter jus) to me. Now I think I can fully grasp it. Costus, loads of (it's also in the old Vol de Nuit extrait) and a slightly aromatic bitterness (enforced by age?), smoky leathery impressions and finally one of the most beautiful and sombre chypré bases with only a bit of animalic undertones. Think of wearing this on a cold, rainy night, driving an old 1940s Volvo, smoke in the air... Truly the 'noirest' and most sombre chypré I am aware of! Moderate to low sillage and moderate to medium longevity! The great Lanvin classics are unrivalled as far as I am concerned.

12 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Antaeus
    Not dated, the write word is exotic, boldly exotic in reminiscence of fertile ages of the middle class in the leading countries of the new world. I will never be able to put this one (and Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme as well) apart. A dark leathery boise with a strong note of dark patchouli wrapped by myrtle oil, thyme, labdanum and castoreum, this is Antaeus, one of the subjects we derive our olfactory passion by. Despite It would appear dated to many, when i wear Antaeus, namely a timeless leather masterpiece in my opinion, I imagine to be in the course of a trendy party at the top of one of the buildings located on the Rio de Janeiro's seaside in Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon. The apartments interiors with the balcony leant over the ocean are a bit 70's in style, with aquariums, light fittings, square frames, woody fornitures and moquette, the terrace I figure is as crowded by people drinking cocktails and I'm boldly talking with a white dressed woman about my intense life for countries all around the world. Inhaling Antaeus I perceive a mossy/animalic leather juice (due to castoreum and the note of mossy leather), the aroma is basically herbal, somewhat angular and powerfully bold because of its resinous slightly fruited patchouli. Myrtle and sage, on the side of thyme, enrich the following patchouli note providing for it an utterly masculine, old-school/laundry-like and aromatic temperament reinforced by sharp floral notes as rose and jasmine in the middle. The flowers flank the green elements in order to fix down a deep, sweet, vaguely melancholic and nocturnal touch. The myrtle is one of the key element and it's surrounded by dry-herbal, aromatic and hesperidic opening notes as clary sage, coriander, thyme, basil and lime. The leather is soothed by labdanum and sandalwood that imprint a touch of woodsy aromatic mildness which is anyway preserved by oakmoss in the final part. How can anybody write Antaeus be lacking distinction? It's less incensey and austere than Knize Ten and a bit less formal than Derby but the (dozens of) elements are well balanced and the final laundry/floral mildness is not a one way sort of, is instead indented by herbal and aromatic nuances being couteracted by a boise barbershop type of sharpness. Exotic as Aramis this one will be forever a fragrance for unapologetic and fashinating travellers of this wonderful world able to link the cultures, to enchant the women and to reach the highest goals.

12 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2014)

shamu1's avatar

Cuba by Czech & Speake

Cuba is a daring fragrance, and that's what I like most about it. It's spicy and aromatic, with a prominent fecal smell underneath it all, and this is what separates Cuba from your average spicy scent.

I'd describe Cuba as the smell of earth, dry leaves, cloves and dog shit. Or maybe Antaeus with bad breath. My description might sound unappealing, but trust me, it smells a lot better than it sounds. The poopy smell adds a lot of character to this fragrance, which otherwise would have been sort of ho-hum without it.

My only criticism with Cuba is that I wish it were a bit grittier and more aggressive. A fragrance with such a strong fecal undertone needs heavy hitting smells to back it up, and I wish the tobacco, cedar and clove were a bit more prominent, which would have balanced the scent out better. Patchouli would have been a perfect addition to this fragrance and would have made it even more powerful.

As it is, Cuba is bold and unique, and should be sampled by anyone who likes wearing fragrances to make a statement.

MY RATING: 7.5/10