Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

Elixir by Penhaligon's

I love both the softness and the Orientalism of Elixir. It is a refined and complex Oriental delivered in a translucent disguise… That an Oriental (which I enjoy but usually can’t carry off) works for me tells me that Elixir is quite an accomplishment.

Elixir’s softness belies its complexity. The opening is a wonderfully non-aggressive amorphous accord of aromatic woods, floral, and spice; it comes off a sophisticated, non-synthetic intricate abstraction. I particularly enjoy the slightly impressionistic feeling to the accord where the balanced notes of usually dramatic wood / spice notes take on a soft, pastel texture. The opening has good longevity, which is an unexpected bonus. The fragrance moves to a floral heart grounded by some non-aggressive cinnamon and rosewood in the background, and I find it a successful exercise in delivering depth, sophistication, and discretion while still presenting it as an identifiable Oriental. For the base I get primarily sandalwood and guaic wood; the two woods center the base in a warm softness: …another pastel texture accomplished beautifully. I get no incense, and I get just barely enough Tonka / vanilla to legitimize Elixir’s Oriental claim and persona. I think Olivia Giacobetti has done yet another remarkable job of creating a sophisticated, complex-but-translucent Oriental that is genuinely unisex and highly wearable… Soft sillage and good longevity and a definite purchase for me.

Beige by Chanel

To my nose Beige comes across strongly with aldehydes and florals… and I question the appropriateness of the “neutral” name – I find it much more “primary” than “pastel.” The May rose and ylang ylang, strengthened by aldehydes, seem too gaudy to me in the beginning, but quickly settle down… the name becomes more appropriate. As for the florals: I don’t really smell the lily or jasmine from the middle notes because the may rose, ylang and middle’s heliotrope completely overpower the other floral notes, and I personally prefer the notes of lily and jasmine to the ones that actually do dominate. The base comes to me as sweet... honey sweet, and the base doesn’t seem either musky or powdery to me – just the same dominant florals with the honey replacing the opening aldehydes – same difference IMO. Beige is, a well-made fragrance, worthy of the Chanel name, but it just emphasizes the wrong notes for my preferences.

I’ve smelled this scent often without knowing that it was Beige or Chanel. I should have guessed “Chanel” because the two women managers who wore this were quite sophisticated and were seasoned wearers of things Chanel. At the time, I wondered why such classy women would wear such a loud fragrance. Now I understand that it was likely my problem because I am apparently oversensitive to the particular floral notes / aldehydes of the opening.

Solo Loewe Eau de Cologne Intense by Loewe

Loewe’s Solo Intense is an acceptable aquatic… somewhat in the nature of ck One or Azzaro Chrome, but it is not as distinctive as either of those two. I have difficulty identifying the individual notes in the accords, but I approve of the discretion with which they are used because they contain listed elements like lavender, thyme, and melon that are all too easy to misuse – they are used well here. I suppose Solo Intense has its own version of distinctiveness, but I am not getting anything identifiable from it except the general impression that it is clean and fresh and synthetically pleasant; its sillage and longevity are more that adequate; and it provides for me a rare experience with this genre by being in no way annoying. I rather like it and might buy it if I found it on sale.

Solo Loewe by Loewe

I liked the first whiffs of it even though they seemed a bit scratchy. They are a unique combination of citrus and lavender, and I remained quite happy with it for a short while … that is until the aldehydes overcame the soft citrus / lavender accord and the background scratchiness shifted the fragrance to a full-scale synthetic assault: I’m afraid that I suffered that assault through to the end. Oh, there are occasional whiffs of a very good wood accord sneaking into the offending onslaught every once in a while. I get very little spice from this scent and no aquatics. Also, “sweet” is pretty well missed by my nose. The primary delivery of Solo Pour Homme comes to me in the form of a more or less synthetic dried herbal-grassiness – quite masculine and attractive at times, but, like most scratchy things, it eventually ends up irritating me. I don’t blame the synthetics for my eventual rejection of Solo: I blame the aldehydes, the poor quality lavender note, and my growing intolerance of its raspy character. Soft to medium projection and limited longevity…

Avant Garde by Martine Micallef

There’s something intriguing about this one. My first testing of it gave me so little to go on that I scrawled a vague, noncommittal description then put it away and forgot about it. On finding it today I gave it another trial. This time the balance and discreetness exhibited a new-found depth and proportion hiding under the translucency of the fragrance..

Avant Garde is very hard to describe because it’s so subtle. First off, I get no citrus or orris in the opening…. I get a soft, translucent powdered cocoa note, balanced by an enrichment that I can’t really identify – except that the pyramid says “tobacco” and that could very well be. It holds that cocoa texture for a couple of hours and then gradually drifts off with a somewhat sweet drydown of tonka. As translucent as it is, I love the balance and delivery… and, most importantly, I feel good wearing it. Sillage is of skin-scent tenor and its longevity is poor.

Eau de Verveine by Penhaligon's

I love most verveine (lemon verbena) fragrances and own four of them along with the complementary products – deodorant, lotion, and talc. The thing I love most about Verveine fragrances is, not surprisingly, the verveine. When I encounter a “verveine” fragrance that does not contain very much verveine, I am disappointed no matter how nice the fragrance is. I find Penhaligon’s Eau de Verveine EDT disappointing because I just can’t be sure I’ve found the verveine in it. EdV opens deeply citrusy with strong elements of petit grain and coriander. Then it develops a tinge of sage… I’m ok with sage, but it is not what I want to smell when I’m expecting verbena. The citrus accord of the opening has body and substance, and is not strong or overbearing. The sage adds a pleasantness to the movement from the opening to the somewhat spicy middle – a middle composed of soft clove / lavender accord: a lavender that I enjoy because of its quality and discretion.

I’m not sure that I can find much of a base because I seem to simply experience the remnants of the opening and middle accords for the rest of the run of the fragrance except that a musky aura is added toward the end.

It’s not a bad fragrance. It's hard to know what to think of it because it is a rather strange fragrance... a strangeness which begins with its name, and ends with its being labeled an EDT – I don’t find the verveine and I find it has no more longevity that a traditional cologne. Still, it’s pleasant and clean and refreshing…

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Excellent citrus opening the like of which I have smelled a few times before in several excellent fragrances. As to the quality of the citrus note, it quickly moves a little close to the odor of furniture polish, but it manages to retains its citrus clarity without succumbing completely. The grapefruit exerts a strong influence in this opening and the accord is quite clean and fresh without being as syrupy as some others I’ve experienced. I enjoy what is accomplished with the citrus elements of Eau d’Hadrien… it’s citrus, pleasant, fresh, and clean. But it doesn’t have enough character for me to give it a thumbs up because there are plenty of other citrus eaus that are preferable: Acqua di Parma Colonia, Eau de Guerlain, Hermes’ Eau d’Orange Vert, R & G’s Extra Vieille, Eau de Rochas, Eau de Rochas Homme to name a few.

Un Matin d'Orage Eau de Toilette by Annick Goutal

I get pretty much of a strident green note in the opening – it is not so much of a disagreeable note as it is lacking in finesse and subtlety. I am somewhat shocked at the intensity / commonness of the opening because it immediately strikes me as drugstore quality and even a bit vulgar – not at all what expect from an Annick Goutal fragrance. The intensity of the sillage of the green note is reduced rather quickly, but my lack of appreciation for it remains. Un Matin d'Orage is linear and… well… boring. I’m not sure how long this linearity lasts because I lose interest. Nowhere in the fragrance do I identify the florals… oh, they’re there somewhere in the mix, but I am pretty much overwhelmed by green. When my interest is finally piqued toward the end of the fragrance’s movement, I get the feeling of being in the presence of the shiso note which gives it a foody tinge to the green – in the last several minutes of the fragrance, it finally gets interesting, but it is too little too late.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A very pleasant, calming and unoffensive scent. It's safe and easy to wear and draws many compliments, especially from the younger crowd.

At the same time, it's also very basic, unoriginal and uninteresting. There's no doubt that it will make you smell good, but it doesn't offer much more than that. It lacks uniqueness and mystery, it fails to evoke emotion and interest. It simply smells good. I try to keep my collection small, and I can't warrant considering AdG as a purchase, but I do respect it as an influential scent that plays a big role in modern fragrance culture.

I can't criticize AdG for being too commonly worn. It is very popular and for good reason. However, the fact that half of the teenage male population is wearing this might be a deterrent for some people to purchase it.

In a market with hundreds of fragrances to choose from, there are many 'fresh' options that have more depth and sophistication than AdG. And for that reason, I can't give it a thumbs-up review.

Sillage is good, longevity is average.
    Recommended for warm weather, daytime usage.
    Recommended for high school or college crowd.
    4 out of 5.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I was possibly in the market for an aquatic fragrance and I had some money to spend. Millesime Imperial is lauded as the king of aquatics. I love the smell of sea salt and I love the smell of melons. MI seemed like the perfect fragrance.

The impulse buyer in me wanted to buy a 4.0 oz bottle right away. The careful shopper in me decided to buy a decant first. I was glad I did.

Millesime Imperial smells amazing. I love how it smells. However, I just don't see myself wearing it. In fact, I also don't see myself being attracted to it if a girl was to wear it. It almost seems unsuitable as a wearable fragrance. Maybe aquatic fragrances are not for me, but I was disappointed and relieved that I didn't purchase it.

It's definitely a great fragrance and I can see why it's popular, but it just doesn't work for me and I'm usually pretty open-minded when it comes to unique fragrances. For this reason, I can't give it a thumbs up.

Sillage is average. Longevity is good.
    Recommended for warm weather daytime use. Okay for office.
    Recommended for any age.

I give Millesime Imperial a 4 out of 5.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Green Irish Creed was the first Creed and first niche fragrance I've ever sampled and/or bought. I just had to try it just to see what the hype was about and experience the legend for myself. I was certainly not disappointed. The opening was a little much but it doesn't take very long for it to calm down to a beautiful green, flowery, freshness. The smell on the card lingered in my mind for hours after I smelled it. It is truly a great fragrance.

I needed to try a few daily wears before pulling the trigger so I subsequently bought a decant online. Sillage and Longevity were both good. It performed very well. I was ready for the purchase.

I bought a bottle. It was very much the same GIT as I remember from the decant, but it was different. It felt a bit stronger and greener and it didn't last nearly as long. Within a couple of hours, the fragrance starts to fade. This never happened to with my decanted sample.

This has remained the case every time I used the fragrance. I bought it from a reputable dealer so the authenticity isn't in question. I still love GIT but I have to carry a mini bottle with me every time I wear it.

Creed Green Irish Tweed is a great scent that lives up to the legend, but Creed is also notorious for its inconsistency with batches. I don't feel like I got what I paid for, and I have to review the fragrance based on the bottle that I have.

Sillage is great. Longevity is poor.
    Suitable for any weather, day or night. Office appropriate.
    Recommended for the mature crowd. I don't think the younger crowd would appreciate it as much.

I give Green Irish Tweed a 4 out of 5.

EDIT: Obligatory GIT vs Cool Water comment.
    -GIT is to Cool Water as an authentic Neapolitan pizza is to a Pillsbury Pizza Pop. They might smell/taste similar, but only one of them can be called magnificent

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I was looking for a cold weather fragrance and was recommended Burberry London. I like the smell of leather, tobacco leaf and cinnamon, so I had to give it a try.

The opening was sharp, spicy and borderline offensive. I didn't like it, but a lot of fragrances start out that way and calm down to something more pleasant. I wore two sprays of Burberry London around the mall. After about an hour, I just couldn't stand it anymore and had to wash it off. Very few fragrances do that to me, but Burberry London did.

Maybe it was because the mall was hot, stuffy and crowded, but I just couldn't handle Burberry London.

I can't give a complete review of London because I washed it off before I've fully experienced it, but one thing was for certain. I didn't like it.

I'm going to have to try Burberry London again in order to complete this review. Because of my unpleasant experience, I'll still have to give it a thumbs down, but I'll at least give it my highest thumbs down rating. I'll be back to add more to this review.

London gets a 3 out of 5. Subject to change, hopefully for the better.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Chanel made a beautiful flanker with this Edition Blanche. I might go as far to say that I'd pick up this one every-time compared to the original. *gasp* ;)

Edition Blanche opens up to a very soft, creamy citrus, and lemon scent, with a hint of pepper. A perfect analogy would be like smelling a lemon cream pie, and who wouldn't want a slice of that eh. The drawback that many people have with this fragrance is longevity, and projection. However, I think it suits the purpose. On my skin, it lasts a good 8 hours, and projects moderately in the beginning, but starts to sit closer to the skin. But, I think that's perfect because this is a romantic, and intimate fragrance. So yea, spray this on for that sexy date of yours ;)

And this fragrance can be worn by ladies. In fact, I recommend you go out, and at least test this!!

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Caution... to those who are relatively young looking into trying this fragrance.
    This fragrance is without a shadow of a doubt a well blended scent, well equipped in fitting its purpose. Now with that said, this fragrance exudes an older gentlemen. The scent is subtle enough not to suggest time in wear, but its distinguishable metallic note leaves a slight impression that the last activity before your stroll in the park, consisted of you helping your wife manage her garden. This is a mature fragrance. Those young enough to misconstrue pass time paradise to be Coolio's prequel, won't appreciate this fragrance. I for myself am still trying to get a understanding around it, and will continue to do so. I know that I will one day love this fragrance; it's just not now.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Even though this fragrance is so popular, I don't understand the appeal. It opens up to a tart granny smith apple, which gets bogged down by floral scents. The name suits it completely - you will smell a light aquatic scent in this Light Blue. But, it's too airy, and sweet for my taste. I might mistake cleaning my bathroom mirror with this instead of Windex. Too harsh? Yea, it doesn't work for me.

But, this scent does fit young teens perfectly. It's fresh and flirty. Anyone over 20 should opt for other aquatic scents.

jcastano's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I cannot figure whether I like this or not. I owned a large bottle in my teens and repurchased a small 1.3 oz bottle to revisit the scent, but it still confuses me. Even when I wore this in high school, I could never really be too sure of whether or not I liked it. All I get out of this scent is an extremely sweet and minty fresh, green, semi-spicy, mossy pine with a touch of green apple.
    The opening lasts about 15 minutes and is a tad bitter because of the grapefruit/green apple combination, however, the mint and lavender outweighs the bitterness with a heavy sweetness. As it transitions into the heart, the florals make their subtle arrival as the carnation dolls up the scent with a light, clove-like spice. The heart then enters the base with the clove-like spice and light florals lingering over a smooth but dry cedar and sandalwood, while the minty green apple and mossy pine create the whole overall aura of the fragrance.
    This is great for anyone in their young teens to their early 30's but be easy on the trigger, this stuff is immensely potent and seems to lasts for days, even on my skin! If I had to compare this scent to another fragrance, I'd say this is similar to Diesel Fuel For Life with a healthy handful of Sonia Rykiel Homme. Diesel and this one are almost identical except this one is much more greener.....much more! I do advise for use in colder weather although it is truly an all season fragrance and believe you me, this seems to garner compliments more than the heavy hitters in my collection. My Final rating B-

Kalynne's avatar

Chance by Chanel

This has a sharp modern sweetness that's almost berry like. It's not my taste since it's too artificial for me. I'm sorry, but it smells very cheap and very much like the drug store scents teen aged girls spray themselves with to cover up the smell of weed or to cover sweet after dancing in da club. Yuck! I was given this sample, not expecting it would be my taste, but at least expecting something youthful and pretty. It's just youthful. :(

mohsen j's avatar

Escada Homme by Escada

this fragrance is not for old men. its very friendly.better use for daytime

robg3176's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

At first smelled very common to me, and nothing special on paper. My wife brought home a sample, and so I tried it again at the counter. Much better on skin than paper.

But still nothing special. BUT...every time I walk by the counter the females recommend it and say they like it. I really don't, but I've gotten many compliments from many females and I guess that's what counts.

Smells like a muted citrus/mint/musk to me, but my nose isn't the best at descriptions. Smells similar IMO to others I've owned such as Armani Mania, but more citrus.

Compliments, I guess it's good. So I like it.

Miami Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Upon initial application, the orange blossom citrus smell is predominant and bold. Underlying is the coconut tropical scent with some florals seeping through. Mellows down and the vanilla eventually makes a bold appearance.

Definitely a summer scent! Not too bad as some have described. But nothing bold enough to stand out on it's own and it's staying power isn't great.

I bought this blindly because of it's popularity on fragrancenet in positive reviews and it was also quite cheap.

Certainly not the best fragrance out there to choose from but it is certainly not the worst either.

The bottle design is a bit tacky with the colourful threaded bracelet around the neck. It says on the box that the bracelet can be worn but i sure as hell wouldn't. Not very elegant or creative, quite plain.

This is a wearable, not overpowering and a nice subtle summer fragrance great for very casual outtings.

I think this fragrance would be loved by someone who likes femininity, hints of coconut and a predominance orange blossom in a perfume.

Notes as described on fragranceheaven.com.au:

Top notes include pink grapefruit, passionfruit and coconut water, with heart notes of orange blossom, heliotrope and cyclamen. Base notes combine amber, musk and vanilla orchid.

Midnight Fantasy by Britney Spears

I tried very hard to like this one because of the many positive reviews i had read online.

I. Hated. It.

It's an unusual blend of fruity smells that, to me, reminded me so much of an intoxicating syrup. It is quite sickening and reminds me of cheap imitation perfumes.

Eventually, i sold this on eBay to someone else who was happy to purchase it.

I think this fragrance would appeal to someone in their teeny boppy years who hasn't had much exposure to a wide range of fragrances as yet.

I loved the bottle design, very elegant and blingy on the dresser table. Too bad this was the only positive thing i could say about it.

Notes as described on fragranceheaven.com.au:

The perfume is described as an elixir of luscious fruits mingled with a seductive flowery bouquet with sensuous musks and dark amber.

Fantasy by Britney Spears

My sister bought this for me knowing i liked Curious by Britney.

I didn't like it at first. I found it too overpowering with the sweet lychee musk exuding from the first spray. Over time, i think it grew on me a little. It definitely isn't a fragrance made for everyone's enjoyment as it is quite musky and unique.

It reminds me of an exotic lychee blend, dampening down to a warm musk. I think it's nicer to wear during winter where your body heat blends the fragrance to something a bit more welcoming and not totally overbearing.

The bottle design is exquisite. I love the choice of fuschia pink and green gems embedded in the bottle. It adds to that exotic tropics feel to the fragrance, something a bit mysterious and dark. I have a thing for bling sparklies so i loved this design very much!

It's hard to point to the exact intended audience but definitely a young age group of chickies from late teens to maybe late 20's? Of whom enjoy a fruity exuberant exotic fragrant.

Notes as described on fragranceheaven.com.au:

Top notes open with an enticing fruity mix of red lychee, quince and kiwi. Middle notes described as a playful tease, revealing jasmine flower and white chocolate orchid. Base notes combine orris, musks and woods.

Curious by Britney Spears

This is the first Britney fragrance i owned. My ex was sweet enough to get me the entire beauty set complete with body glitter roll and purse etc etc

The fragrance itself was beautiful. I did quite like this as a young freshman at University. I made me feel happy, vibrant, hopeful, playful and femme! It lacks elegance but i don't feel it was ever intended to be so. Sweet florals as top notes is what i can recall.

The reason why i give it a thumbs down is because of the overall quality. This was a very big disappointment for me. I had the atomiser version of the perfume because i loved how the creators of the bottle design blended modern with a hint of vintage. The atomiser failed to function only after a couple of weeks. We thought if we bought the version without the atomiser and just a normal spray, would take care of the problem. Within months of our new purchase, the perfume colour turned into a dark off urine yellow and there were crystalised formations in the centre of the liquid. To top it off, it no longer smelt as it had when we bought it a couple of months back. Very sad indeed.

The bottle design i did love. Very cute, chic and femme. Great addition to any girly dresser. And the atomiser was a big selling point for me.

I think the fragrance itself appeals to a young girly audience.

Notes as listed on fragranceheaven.com.au:

This fragrance's lively notes include Louisiana magnolia, golden anjou pear, lotus flower, tuberose, star jasmine, pink cyclamen, vanilla infused musk, sandalwood and blonde woods.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

I like this fragrance very much. It opens up with a freshness that i cannot describe in words. It's not overbearing. It stands out from other fragrances as it is quite unique.

Fresh, hints of floral with apple blossom. Perfect for those casual summer days. My words don't do it justice. I like that it isn't overpowering and that it's not too complex.

I can see why it is still rated as one of the most top selling fragrances for women =)

The bottle is quite simple. It is not misleading at all, as the fragrance also is quite simple...but so nice. When i look at it, reminds me of a clean crisp day at the beach.

Notes as described on fragranceheaven.com.au:

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana is a delicious combination of lively Sicilian citron and effervescent Granny Smith Apples, which are softened and ethereally blended with the intensity of freesia, jasmine, earthy musk and amber to provide a stunning perfume that's both overwhelming and irresistible. It is recommended for casual wear.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I love this on a man. I can recognise it a mile away. it's such a nice alluring, fresh sweet aquatic fragrance that is so pleasing and welcoming. I bought this for my man but i think he hates it because it smells more fruity and femme rather than emanating masculinity so he gave it to his gay brother. sigh.

Nonetheless, i love it muchly and i don't hold back from telling those who wear it that i love it.

The bottle itself is nothing fancy pants but it's certainly nice.

Notes as described on fragranceheaven.com.au:

Notes include marine notes, mandarin, bergamot, neroli, persimmon, rosemary, nasturtium, jasmine, amber, patchouli and cistus. It is recommended for casual wear.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

It exudes a strong masculine aura. Very musky and is in your face confident type of fragrance. I love this fragrance and definitely can recognise it if someone has it on.

And i am not afraid to admit, it leaves me quite flustered when applied by a male who is just that, confident and manly. Yummy.

I can see how it wouldn't appeal to everyone, it's quite unique and unless you are a fan of manly musk, you would most likely hate it.

I associate this scent with a guy who is not afraid to show a bit of pride in his appearance with an outgoing and charming personality. Definitely not for a teen boy, perhaps more fit for a sexy young adult bachelor.

Notes as described on fragranceheaven.com.au:

Top notes include green apple, spearmint, lavender and grapefruit, with heart notes of carnation, sage and geranium. Base notes combine pine, vetiver, patchouli and moss

Kalynne's avatar

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

1rst whiff, an explosion of horrible synthetic, sweetness. After 20 min and me forcing myself not to wash the scent off, it settles into something more tolerable. It still has an overdone, sweet, modern profile that I dont like, but it also has a fresh saltiness with a light wood note that is more interesting than most new, popular scents. It seems geared to the early 20's crowd, but it could be an interesting change for those who enjoy sweet modern scents. That's just not me.

alfarom's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

A good release from Creed. A fresh and slightly metallic summer fragrance with a mysterious twist. Tea (IMO black tea), black currant and citruses in the opening joined by a metallic note that's amazingly (and surprisingly) pleasant. The musky drydown has all of the Creed's hallmark. For better or for worse. A good fragrance but try it first.

Fred360's avatar

X for Men by Clive Christian

Just tried a sample half an hour ago. It went on reminding me of Jubiliation XXV, which is one of my favorites. But half an hour I cannot detect much of anything. May "X" stands for evanescent? :)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Green Oakmoss by Soivohle (Liz Zorn)

A cool refreshing green woods scent. This doesn't smell of oakmoss to me but it is woodsy with an ethereal and potent green scent that does have light mossy touches. It is a gentle green chypre that has a distinct vetiver presence along with woods. I like this green woods scent considerably. Green Oakmoss is a unique fragrance, as are all of Liz Zorn creations and I've not smelled anything else quite like it. The closest comparable fragrance on the market is a slight similarity to Aventus from Creed, but with the pinneapple note removed leaving only green chypre woods. This one goes straight onto my buy list!

The listed notes are: citrus, clove, tuberose, rose geranium, oakmoss accord, leather, animal musk, vetiver, patchouli, labdanum, and woods.