Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

Missoni (new) by Missoni

Love it, love it, love it! Tropical flowers, a bit of spice and chocolate. It's a little slice of paradise in a bottle!

ELIshock's avatar

Azerbaijan Azerbaijan

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I will divide my review into two parts. Positive and Negative parts.
    Positive:
    It has a pleasent and very fresh smell. Perfect alternative (simply it cannot be my 1st choice) to wear during spring, as a credit to its freshness. Longevity is also not bad despite its a very light perfume.
    Negative:
    Only negative side for me was its plainness. You cannot find anything extraordinary in this scent. I mean you can find 1000s of these scents in perfume market.

Liz by Liz Claiborne

Reading the reviews written here I think many people are getting "Liz" ( launched in 2005) confused with the old "Liz Claiborne" (launched in 1986). They are two totally distinct and separate fragrances.
    The old Liz Claiborne is one of the big eighties "uber-florals". Liz (from 2005) is a sweet and snappy scent with a crisp citrus top and a pleasently woody pink peppercorn ( along with amber and vanilla) base. It always reminds me of freshly brewed "Constant Comment" tea. A comforting scent, but perky as well.

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (new) by Bourjois

The new version isn't as good as the vintage. I must qualify that right off. But, if you take it as it's own fragrance and not a poor imitation of the original, I quite like it. Then I am known for liking powdery scents and I'm absolutely crazy for violets.

KillerScent's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Nice smell , but I think there is too much hype with this fragrance.
    As other reviewers say, this has a synthetic touch that annoys specially at the top and middle notes .
    When it dries down is when this fragrance shows its good qualities.
    The notes I feel the most are tobacco leaf, wine and pepper .
    Longevity is better than average but projection is nearly absent, no one around you notes when you are wearing it.
    Nice bottle covered in tweed. Not too expensive

Let's be neutral.

Adama's avatar

Burberry Sport for Men by Burberry

Burberry Sport isn't a popular scent on this site's forum.

Burberry Sport is the one fragrance that I've received more compliments from women on than any of the others that I've been wearing over the last number of years.

I ended up buying this cologne by accident, picking up a box with it's label in a bin at Winners. Only when I got home did I realize that I'd actually bought the deodorant stick- did I ever feel dumb! What a smell though; the deodorant stick was heavy with sweet Ginger, and I loved it!

A few days later I went out and bought the actual cologne, which features more Wheat than the initial sniff of the deodorant, but settles down to a very pleasant Amber/Cedar. Not original, but definitely a step above the rest in terms of quality.

What really surprised me was the sheer amount of compliments I received based on this scent; a day wouldn't go by where I wouldn't get a mention from a friend, and I know that at least one friends boyfriend received it as a gift!

Also, while I try not to focus too much on bottles, the design on this one really fits. The hard rubber casing is great for throwing this cologne into a satchel or gym bag- something I wouldn't really do with a regular bottles of cologne in case it breaks.

Very high thumbs up.

KillerScent's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

This fragrance is INCREDIBLE!!
    I don't understand why this has so many negative reviews. It seems that at present there is a tendency to adore, praise and worship all the "classic" fragrances, specially those from the 70's and 80's; many of them are really good but many others are awful and out of date, and people seem to love these ones just because they have been sold for some decades. These "classic" lovers also use to hate and despise new fragrances as if these ones were a disgrace.

Well, this is one of the best fragrances I've smelled in my life, one of the kind of fragrances I'm always looking for, it's worth the money.
    The bottle is strange and ugly, but what it contains inside is marvelous .

I would rank this fragrance as ORIENTAL, warm, spicy, intense... It reminds me of what you can smell in a street spices market in Morocco or in a medieval fair .
    It is very sexy and strong, the pepper notes are really intense and tingles your nose.
    Longevity and projection are really good.

Many "classic" fragrances have disappointed me .Bang is a new masterpiece, no matter it is way recent .

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

Gorgeous, magnetic, powerful, sensual, animalic...all you could wish for in a scent...

Fantastic longevity and sillage...

Can you beat it?...not really...

Double big thumbs up...!!!

Kotori's avatar

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

I just received this, and this is the picture I have in my mind when I smell it: A woman from the early 1950's wearing capri trousers and a tied up plaid blouse with a silk head scarf and matte red lipstick in a convertible traveling with the top down. In Italy. It is a breezy, polite, classy citrus with something creamy and sweet lurking just below the surface. Summer in a bottle.

Kotori's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

The first time I smelled this in 2007, I was at a high end department store, and had been there for at least half an hour. My nose was dead, although I didn't know it yet. The SA handed this to me after I had exhausted myself at the Creed and Annick Goutal counterettes, and I smelled nothing but a pleasant soapy scent. Nothing particularly interesting. I bothered to sniff it in the bottle once or twice more that year, but never sprayed it on my skin. This winter I tried it on. And what a difference. I bought it immediately! I am not an impulse fragrance buyer, but I needed this one at once. The cozy earthiness develops on the skin, completely transforming from a cool, powdery soapy smell in the bottle to something sensual on the skin. It is polite enough for the office, but invites a closer sniff. It smells comforting and steady. I wear it, and not it me.

Kalynne's avatar

28 La Pausa by Chanel

First whiff, a light woodiness and very light iris. I've now poured half of my sample on my skin. Still the same. 5 min, it's almost undetectable on my skin. I really can't detect much. Unless there's something wrong with my sample, it's possible that my chemistry kills this scent. This is the lightest scent I've ever tried! Probably only successful on those who scents are magnified on their skin and can only wear light scents. There's no annoying modern sharpness, and probably good for a perfume unfriendly office.

Grottola's avatar

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

While it's not bad by any means, Burberry Summer for Men just smells like "generic guy cologne" to me. Like, something from Abercrombie and Fitch or American Eagle.

Sorry, I fell asleep in the middle of smelling it....

Oproust's avatar

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

Baldessarini is a woody oriental that is a wonderful fruity, tobacco fragrance. I initially dismmised this one because the tobacco note overwhelmed me the first time I gave it a test run. My nose has clearly changed since then and now I can't get enough of this relatively unknown (or ignored) fragrance. When I first tried Baldessarini, I completely missed the wonderful fruity top notes. I'm not sure how I missed them, but I did. Now, I not only experience the tangerine and bitter orange, but mint and fir are very noticeable right out of the bottle. This fragrance has a very appealing opening. The fruit, mint and fir blend so well. The mint becomes more prominent in the mid note phase of Baldessarini, although the fruity note remains a major player well into the progression. The patchouli emerges and provides an effective bridge into the woody-tobacco drydown. The tobacco note emerges slowly and smoothly and is the perfect compliment to the fruity nature of the top and mid notes. I don't find the tobacco base to be overpowering. The woody notes are noticeable, lending a slightly dry texture, but the tobacco note takes center stage.

Baldessarini (edc) lasts approximately 6 hours on my skin. I just ordered the concentree version and I'm really looking forward to comparing the longevity of the two versions. However, I'm also very interested in the basic nature of the concentree version in relation to the edc. Hopefully, no Eau Sauvage Extreme train wreck type issues here.

I find Baldessarini to be a fine formal fragrance, but I wear it for other occassions as well. I don't wear this one to the office. Baldessarini. Try it, enjoy it.

Izzy's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Just awesome! It's that funny guy in the room with a big heart and no money.

furrypine's avatar

Norway Norway

1697 by Frapin

Its' Drunken Dzongkha!
    Take Dzongka, another scent by Duchaufour, and marinate it in cognac and rum and you've got 1697. The iris fights with the alcohol but neither wins, no one yields, and the different elements never quite come together on my skin. Worth trying if you want a different take on iris, but it's not wholly successful.

IZOD by IZOD

The first time I tried this in person, I could have sworn that it was better and more interesting. This time, as the initial alcohol goes away, I'm getting a sharp but not terribly strong orange. This component is fine, but along with it comes a super-sweet tropical fruit note (papaya with possible cherry?) which again isn't that strong but is so assertively cloying that it really stands out unpleasantly. On top of that, a terrible chemical note rears its head, like the hair salon / nail polish theme of Lanvin Vetyver or Insense Ultramarine. As it dries down, the orange is completely lost and mostly only cherry and hair-spray remains. What a disappointing offering. Not quite a thumbs-down because the base is nicer from farther away.

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

The very first minute or so is surprisingly light and citrusy, like it's trying to be orange-centric (Varvatos Artisan?). As this recedes, a quiet reassuring musky leather begins to take shape, and brings with it detatched florals in the style of Rochas Lui. Unfortunately, it also starts to get sweeter and more powdery, with a semi-rotten honey vibe. I assume there's some oud hiding in here, because I also get a medicinal quasi-cherry aspect, even though it doesn't clearly stem from a woody ingredient...maybe fruit? Either way, it contributes to what I would call a Habit Rouge air: heavy, poofy and powdery in a strained and phony way. I would not be comfortable at all wearing this.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

Yes, muguet takes centerstage - dewy fresh, if a little green, pretty much the scent of spring. I'm a little surprised it doesn't wear quite as femininely as some of the other muguet scents I have tried, particularly with the faintly animalic vibe lurking underneath, running through the fragrance like an undercurrent beneath the surface calm. I have heard vintage formulations contain civet but the version I had on was more recent. Perhaps it was simply the indoles from jasmine combining with the floral green profile to throw me off track? It matters not for I truly enjoy it. Vintage or not, DIORISSIMO remains to this day a captivating and classy scent.

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

Along with the new Lanvin, this is one of the few vetivers I've tried with a distinctly hair spray / nail polish quality. Initially it's very dark and subdued, with more pineyness than most, and the almost nutty quality of the old Guerlain. A lighter green starts to show through, with makes me think of aloe vera for some reason (moreso the actual plant than the juice or processed products). It becomes inky, but in an unpleasant way...much heavier than Encre Noire. The inkiness becomes more and more rubbery over time, and thus heralds the beginning of the beauty salon smell. A bit of the nuttiness remains for a while, but soon all that I smell is harsh chemicals; any plant material of any sort is secondary. This really could have been good, but ended up just being a big waste of time.

Sables by Annick Goutal

I almost couldn't bring myself to review this because I remembered how vile I thought it was during the first two testings. The beginning is fine: light florals and amber with a maple syrup edge. A bit feminine for me, but OK, I can follow it through. More woodiness develops, but it's the sweetest, most stifling wood I've encountered in a while, with brighter notes of Pepsi. I don't know if there's oud in here, but the wood also has that familiar cherryness to it. During this phase the maple syrup had subsided a bit, but soon it's back in force, and getting all over my fingers and nose. By the end, the base is pure maple syrup with flowers: my own personal olfactory hell. I won't even say that it's too feminine, as I so often do, but rather that it's too sugary. I need to wash my face now.

alfarom's avatar

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

Gucci Envy For Men without ginger. Et Voilà!

Buysblind's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

Lacoste Essential is a good, casual, Spring and Summer day-time fragrance. For the average guy, this will do the trick without leaving any negative impressions or having him smell like everyone else out there. At the same time, it fits right into the mainstream.

The top notes are fruity and slightly sweet. The pepper and woods in the background become more apparent after a couple hours as the scent settles down and help add a little depth. However, I would not classify this as a woody or spicy scent, instead it is fruity, with a transparent aura and an aquatic edge.

It has a nice smell. While synthetic, it is well done and never obnoxious or cloying. It's lightness and transparency keep it pleasant at all times. The scent does not change much over time, the fruitiness eventually dies down and transitions to a smooth, though typical, woody base that remains close to the skin.

Essential is perfect for warmer days when you just want to smell fresh and nice and aren't trying to make a statement or stand out. But people will notice it and enjoy it. It' can be used at the gym, for a casual date, the office, or for just hanging out with your friends.

It's also a great 'first' cologne for younger looking to buy something.

It's apropriate for all ages, especially the 30 and under crowd. Relatively inexpensive and easy to find, I would choose this over other popular fresh frags like Versace Eau Fraiche, D&G Light Blue, or CK One. Overall it's much smoother--no sharp edges or unpleasing synthetic qualities.

Longevity is good, 4 to 8 hours depending on the weather and where you apply it.

Projection is slight, though evident.

Fairly versatile with exception to nights out and formal events.

Overall rating 7.5/10

Aura9's avatar

Joop! Jump by Joop!

Joop! Jump is a fragrance I bought at an airport as a snap decision one day, and I have been greatly rewarded for my purchase. The opening of Jump is very fresh and clean, with flower notes. It stays like this for about 15 minutes and goes over to it's wonderful middle note, which stays for hours. If you don't mind a synthetic smell Joop! is the bargain you should jump on. The girls love it and you will love it too. For casual use as a signature scent it works really nice. Jump creates a pleasant aura, is a complement getter and reflects a young and easy going spirit to others.

Aura9's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Polo is one of the most interesting fragrances I have ever owned. It has a strong very masculine scent, that manages to include flowery notes, while still staying serious. I would recommend polo to people who like to stand out and make a statement with their scent. Polo is everything else than a blind buy. It resembles the spirit of the 1980's, lasts amazingly long and shows sophistication to others. Do not use polo as a dating fragrance though. It used to be very common and I am sure there are a lot of dads and grandpa's out there, who still wear polo. Overall I have to say that Polo is one of my personal favorites though. Great RL fragrance.

ChoppedGarlic's avatar

Greece Greece

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

Best way to describe this is "green musk". Not particularly memorable, not terrible either, all in all...average. I got 3hrs out of this.

Devon Violets by Aidees

Way back in the 1970's, a time before a lot of you basenoters were even born, a young Theodora was having a love affair with Devon Violets. It's still a wonderful scent. Oh, how I love the smell of violets!

Maja by Myrurgia

I have loved the soap for years. But when I tried the EdT I was somewhat disappointed, it just doesn't have the zing of the soap scent. Too bad!

Poison by Christian Dior

I say this with some shame and a little consturnation. In the 1980's I had big hair, loud clothing, neon make-up and I wore Poison. But then, so many of us did. Well, we all need a little embarassment from our past to keep us humble.

mnaonbn's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is the lovechild of Aramis and Coco Mademoiselle. The overall effect is a dirtier, muskier, and less refined version of the two, with a healthy and persistent citrus note—I think bergamot. [3 out of 5 stars]

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2011)

mnaonbn's avatar

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The overall effect is baby powder plus Nivea cream—i.e., almost identical to the fragrance of L’Occitane’s famous shea butter hand cream. [2 out of 5 stars]

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 May, 2011)