Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

shamu1's avatar

Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme by Nicolaï

This is one of the most obnoxious fragrances I have ever smelled, to the point where I even wonder if LuckyScent accidentally mislabeled my sample. I can't imagine who this fragrance is meant for, because the patchouli is almost non-existent in Patchouli Homme. Perhaps it's for people who are afraid of patchouli but who want to own a fragrance with the word "Patchouli" on the bottle.

This is not a patchouli fragrance, but rather a vinegary herbal floral scent. There is some patchouli in this, but it's pushed way into the background, totally overpowered by the ascerbic herbs and floral notes. It smells like a feminine scent, albeit a terrible one. Patchouli Homme is sharp, heady and vulgar, sort of like a loud green chypre blended with some salad dressing. I can't imagine any man, let alone a woman, wanting to smell like this. I felt embarrassed wearing it.

If there's anyone who would appreciate a fragrance with the word "patchouli" in its title, it's me. However, the herbal and floral notes are so dominating and piercing, they drown out the patchouli, and I can't enjoy this fragrance on any level. Unfortunately, I found the same vinegary floral smell in Nicolai Pour Homme, which I don't like at all either.

Sure, I don't like a fragrance that handles patchouli in such a wussy way, but this smells flat out offensive and disgusting, regardless of the patchouli. I wore this twice, hoping and trying to like it, but I cannot enjoy this in any way.

P.S., When I put this on the last time, my wife told me that I smelled great, so maybe it's just me.

MY RATING: 1/10

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 May, 2011)

Devo's avatar

Sublime Vanille by Creed

The first note was the citrus elements of rich lemon with a hint of bergamot. This warmed to a sweet vanilla musk with the accent on musk. The tonka bean gives it an understated tobacco earthiness that make it truly unisex. It is humidor meets candy store. Very nice when layered with Spice and Wood for a man.

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2011)

Je Reviens by Worth

I adored Je Reviens in the 1970's. It was floral and spicy and I felt elegant wearing it. It's a darn shame what has happened to it since.

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 June, 2011)

silversurfer's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I kind of liked this one, somewhat sophisticated (no, it's not the Prada name, which doesn't appeal to me), but kept getting hints of hairspray mixed with the soapy scent- a classier soap, but not so much the hairspray. Seems to last well, mild projection, but don't think I'll add this one to my collection any time soon. BTW, I noticed similar "hairspray" odors in other Pradas for men, but not sure what's behind that note. Any ideas anyone?

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

Macassar by Rochas

Macassar it's not just a masculine fragrance, it's more like an angry male gorilla wearing a tuxedo. It's everything but elegant or sophisticated but i LIKE it. A loud, unbottoned shirt, hairchested and burping male at the Opera Premiere. Not an everyday's fragrance, but once in a blue moon it's so great to be unpolite...

Wonder how it smells? Basically LEATHER and TOBACCO (as loud as they can)!

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2011)

Buysblind's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Think 'very fancy, expensive smelling soap' because that is exactly what you get and will smell like with Infusion d'Homme.

This fragrance borders on the unisex though leans more in the territory of 'masculine.' It has a formal air to it and works best when a little dressed up or at the least dressed cleanly. If you've seen the bottle and box, you have a good idea of Infusion's overall character, as I believe the box and bottle do a very good job of capturing the essence of the scent.

Infusion d'Homme is fairly linear, well-blended and remains consistent throughout its duration.

As far as the notes, in the top I can smell the neroli and 'clean notes', though I get very little bitter orange. In the mid and base I get the iris, a very smooth vetiver and benzoin. From my experience, it is not powdery at all. It is soapy.

Longevity is very good, anywhere from 8 to 12 hours.

It also projects quite powerfully.

Lacking versatility, I can not see wearing Infusion in many casual situations or even dinner-movie type of dates. In fact, for myself, personally, I can not see wearing it much at all. It has something of a staid, stuffy air about it, that makes me feel restrained.

However, for what it is, and what it is supposed to be, it does its job very well.

If you are in the market for an expensive-smelling-soap scent, Infusion d'Homme is an excellent choice.

Overall rating: 8.0/10.

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2011)

silversurfer's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Ouch! A light spray of the edp on my skin.... what smelled ok on paper turned into a nose/throat burning monster to me. Certainly got lemon rind (maybe some bergamot too?), but in an unpleasant, soapy way. If a chypre has citrus top notes, Boucheron has it in spades, but not in the breezy Florida orange grove kind of way. It certainly has staying power, but after about 6 hours I had to wash it off.... "Out, damnned spot! Out I say!"

My apologies if I offend any who gave this positve reviews, but this is really the first fragrance I just can't handle. It is fascinating however, to see such a wide range of opinions on this one.

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2012)

mnaonbn's avatar

Verte Violette by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It is perhaps the truest violet plus violet leaf perfume that I have ever sampled (and I've sampled about 20 of them).

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 May, 2012)

mnaonbn's avatar

Vecchi Rossetti by Hilde Soliani Profumi

The overall effect is makeup, aerosol hairspray (think Aqua Net), nail polish remover, bug spray, and waxed wooden stage floor. This is a wonderfully and amazingly true and complete olfactory expression of an old performance theater—the place itself, the performers, and the patrons all included...I mean the entire atmosphere is capture here. Its vintage perfumy character is very pleasantly evocative for me. This is probably my favorite perfumy (vs. soliflore) violet fragrance. Ultimately, VR is not only intellectually fascinating but also entirely wearable.

Projection, sillage, and longevity are all excellent.

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2012)

Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

When Red first came out I absolutely adored it. Mitsouko is my number one most favorite fragrance, so it's hard for me to pass up a chypre when I smell one. The more resent Red is more sweet and fruity. If you smell really hard you can still get a little chypre air out of it, but not much! I will miss you, Red!

Jean Nate by Revlon

When I was a teenager Jean Nate was as much a part of our wardrobe as a pair of jeans. I have smelled the current Jean Nate and I would just as soon wear Lemon Pledge.

sush's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

This may be far beyond my years, but to me this is nothing like leather. It is a sweet, linear, almost intoxicating watered-down fake cherry smelling creation

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin Fraicheur by Lolita Lempicka

Watered down version of au Masculin. If you thought that au Masculin had a short shelf life, then Fraicheur will make you think twice as it lasts about 25 minutes. Over-spraying doesn't help either. Pointless.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

The rubber tire bottle gives you an idea as to what lies inside. Smelling the opening of BB is like being on a tire shop's display floor. Fresh, black rubber dominates and I must say it's a very innovative and intriguing opening. Clever and cheeky, if you like. The rubber burns into an aroma of smoky tea, leather and vanilla that lasts quite a long time. Don't know about this inverted note pyramid (ad-copy hype), but I find BB quite simple and effective. My only qualm is there's a muted grayness that lends a melancholy air to BB that I have issues with. Can I wear this on a summer day? Nope, suited only for overcast and dark days. And when worn on these days, it only brings me down further. Can't say any other fragrance does this to me and that's why this is an important fragrance. May not wear it much, but it will forever beguile me.

cocogirl's avatar

Amaranthine by Penhaligon's

I could absolutely cry. First because I love this fragrance. From the first sniff to it's dry-down. It is luxurious, rich, smolderingly sexy and sumptuous. Definitely worth sticking my nose to my arm repeatedly to catch every nuance. There is not a note that seems off or unpleasant to me. Even the opening which with some I simply wait for them to pass.

The second reason I could cry is that it is gone from my skin in about 30 minutes. Not a trace of a whiff even nose to skin can it be detected.

Such a pity. As this could easily become a favorite for me. It will get a thumbs up because it is soo beautifully balanced even if on me the longevity is lacking. Apparently I have certain scents that I love so much my body just totally absorbs them :)

alfonsine's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

India Hicks Island Night by Crabtree & Evelyn

I grew up in the island of Bali and this eau de toilette really reminds me of home, of nights at the beach! For me, in the first whiff I can detect a slight sea salt kind of scent, i cant really describe it but there is this really soft salty scent that I usually smell at the beach.The saltiness only lasts for a couple seconds then it became a subtle background to the dominating soft, floral but still green and fresh scent of the perfume. At the same time, it still carries that tropical, sea-breeze feel throughout. For me it is a one of a kind smell and it is very well made. I am a bit biased though because this smell reminds me of home =) but unless your body chemistry reacts weirdly with it, I doubt anybody would find this scent offensive. My boyfriend also love it, which is another plus. Thank you India Hicks and Crabtree & Evelyn for making this perfume. It is suitable for day or night wear. Very casual, soft smell but elegant and tropical sexy. I just wish it has more lasting power as it is so soft. An eau de parfum version would be nice perhaps? =) (p.s. I dont like the other India Hicks perfume, Island Living, for me it doesn't smell tropical nor island-y. Oh, and I just found out that India Hicks was the bridesmaid of Princess Diana!)

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

I love this scent! And I HATE the name Tommy Girl! Okay, Tommy I can see because it's Mr. Hilfiiger first name. But girl implies the it's some giggly little bubblegum scent produced for the pre-pubescent consumer. It is none of the kind. This is a sophistocated fruity tea rose fragrance. Hence, I now dub thee - Tommy Woman!

Escada Homme by Escada

The only Escada worth owning. Lovely take on cognac, patchouli, oak moss and vanilla. Loud yet very suave. Cheap as paper but smells like a niche.

Ksap's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

I don't see how anyone can enjoy this one. Thankfully I only bought a 1oz for something like 15$. It's awful. Smells like rotten fruits/flowers/garbage. I sprayed this on the back of my hand and it nearly made me vomit. So I waited to get to the heart notes. Unfortunately they weren't any better. I was hoping for something much nicer after reading all the positive reviews. Not for me that's for sure

sarıpatates's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

This is almost physically painful. Just terrible.

argus wishingwell's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 2 by Comme des Garçons

It reminds me of tabasco pepper sauce. I enjoy every moment but not sure that everyone like to smell like very hot chilli pepper. Unique for my experience though.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

La Rose Jacqueminot by Coty

I first encountered La Rose Jacqueminot as a sample in a basenotes go around package. It had leaked and the while package smelled like it and it was STRONG. And heavenly. I bought a bottle on ebay and it smelled the same but weaker so I think it is a bottle from the 80's not the original issue.

You can still smell and understand what made this a great perfume. It is a masterful blend of very strong notes that are soften down by softer notes(violet). It ends up as a wonderful mix of these notes mingling with eachother and neither side really 'wins'. The only winner here is me who wears it and can enjoy this perfume that combines delicacy and persistence and strength.

Préparation Parfumée by Andrée Putman

Preparation Parfumee does indeed come across as an airy, translucent, close wearing wood fragrance. And it does indeed conjure the olfactory equivalent of what driftwood looks like and feels like. There is a saltiness present that gives the impression of ocean washed wood. The drydown consist of a peppery vetiver that eases the watery impression along until the finish.
    It is soft and somewhat short lived, but all of that seems appropriate for this type of fragrance. It is contemplative rather than extroverted. Unisex of course, but I would imagine it would appeal as a masculine for most. I really like it though for times my mood fits it's charms.

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Starts off well, with similar but milder, less complex notes than MKK. The drydown fades into something vaguely reminiscent of the stuff they use to clean urinals. Maybe my skin chemistry.

Shame as this is reasonably priced and readily available.

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

Maybe I don't get it - it just smells like cinders that have been doused in chemicals.

Its rare that I find a fragrance so disagreeable, but this is truly hideous.

Spoombung's avatar

Oud 27 by Le Labo

Oooo... I'm a BIG fan of this stuff!

My overwhelming impression is one of brightness, luminosity and radiance; there's a buzzy, high-pitched, sour vibe from the oud and saffron when the scent first goes on the skin. Later it settles down and moderates it's behaviour when the cedar wood and resins become more prominent. There is a very assertive sour note that I can understand some people might compare with the unwelcome, edgy smell of urine - but for me, it has an entirely different, pleasant quality; it's very attractive in my opinion.

The uniqueness of this perfume has somehow burned it's way into my olfactory memory and I've experienced a strong craving for it on several occasions since acquiring the sample bottle... so a purchase is inevitable in the near future.

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Citrus, cumin, leather - a perfect mix. The leather isn't the ripe barnyard accord of CdR or Dzing! (which I also love) but rather the smell of old leather chairs in traditional but upmarket barbers, with an undercurrent of Brylcream and sweat.

Rather wish I hadn't read Turins "monogrammed slippers" description as I now find it hard to shake that association. Still, a favourite that I'll always have in my collection.

Private Collection - Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale

Wow, I'm no leather expert, but this fragrance has a BEAUTY of a leather note! I do smell the orris, especially in the opening, but this is much more cuir than iris to me. And that was fine, as I love iris notes as stars and as supporting players.
    The leather was not harsh, but instead, very much a leather glove or purse type smell. Just lovely. It finally faded after about 4-5 hours into something with a hint of amber and/or maybe even some vanilla. The hint of orris stayed around almost until the end, but very much in the background and very much a lifter or support note.
    I continue to be impressed with Parfumerie Generale's take on notes. They are modern, some of them semi gourmand, but all are interesting and well done of the ones I have smelled. I'm enjoying exploring this house, and my wish list keeps growing.

Private Collection - Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale

I was expecting light, warm wood. But to my nose, this was more about hay with some warm amber and tobacco notes to blend it out. This is a sunshine scent, bright but with warmth that settles on your skin and brings comfort and a smile. It opens with hay note to me, the edge brought by the faintest cedar. Cedar is a tough note for me, as I do not often like it's sharpness. But here, the cedar was never sharp. It just added some additional color to the blond feel. The hay was a mix of baked gold hay and new green hay, a beguiling mix. After about 10 -15 min the tobacco, cedar, hay mix settled in. Slowly the amber rises up, but never sweet or cloying. Some musk rounded it out. And there it sat for the next 3-4 hours, cooing to me.

To me, this is a spring or late summer scent, when sunshine warms it up and allows your mind to go where Bois Blond is trying to take you. It is slightly woody and fieldy, but never straying into stems and white flower territory. Just some good ole fashion roll in the hay vibes, laughing and feeling easy in your warm skin! I loved this!

Gaïac by Martine Micallef

Gaiac starts with a semi-sweet, creamy wood smell with some soft spices. And that is the predominate smell all the way through this fragrance. But about half way in, the vetiver emerges. If I sniff close to my wrist, I smell a vetiver predominate scent. If I just let the fragrance waft up from my chest and neck, I smell mostly the creamy wood with a hint of green (vetiver). The wrist smells almost identical to Hermes Vetiver Tonka, which I own, and this was the comparison I did not get the first time I tried this fragrance. The vetiver is really popping out this go round, and although I'm not a hugh vetiver fan, it is bringing the sweetness down a notch, and that is not a bad thing at all. The scent fades out in a similar vein, soft and easy, semi-sweet but earthy.

Wonderful, semi-sweet, woody, creamy and slightly green scent. I'm not entirely sure it is worth the hefty pricetag, but worth a sniff for fans of this genre.